SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 9 of 14 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14 >
Topic Options
#301512 - 12/27/10 03:31 AM Re: Is Yamaha taking down all other Arrangers One By One ....little by little.....
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
Sound quality, styles, OS interface, keybed feel vary so much on an arranger keyboard that people will never completely gravitate to just one brand.

That's true,
as long as there are more than one brand to choose from.
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#301513 - 12/27/10 08:10 AM Re: Is Yamaha taking down all other Arrangers One By One ....little by little.....
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Ian,
With all due respect....
I think James may be somewhat correct.
I'm not sure how many of the 20's-30's crouwds of today will later be like us 40's, 50's ++ of today.
Will they want an arranger that caters to TODAYS over 50 crowd??
OR will they want to use the ones (BRAND) that they use today....????....????

Lee S.

#301514 - 12/27/10 08:28 AM Re: Is Yamaha taking down all other Arrangers One By One ....little by little.....
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
Will they want an arranger that caters to TODAYS over 50 crowd??

Lee S.

No, they will want an arranger that will appeal to their over 40-50's crowd.

And, at that time, Yamaha will be adding the styles and features that will appeal to them.

You see, Lee, both sides of the situation are progressing; not just the arranger or just the target market...they are moving in parallel.

There will always be a segment consisting of 40-50 year olds...they will require styles (and features) to suit the kind of music they grew up with, and also the music of their present time.

That's easy, as styles are easily replaced/renewed/reprogrammed.

Korg is after the younger buyer who want more extensive editing regarding sounds and sequencing.

There is a market for both, and both Korg and Yamaha have been co-existing in addressing them for some time now.

What do you think is going to change? Yamaha's Tyros/PSR market has actually grown each year, so they must be doing something right.

I don't know about Korg, but I suspect they are just as successful, so their strategy is working too.

In my opinion, neither one is better...they are just different.

Ian

#301515 - 12/27/10 08:59 AM Re: Is Yamaha taking down all other Arrangers One By One ....little by little.....
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
No, they will want an arranger that will appeal to their over 40-50's crowd.

Quote:
There will always be a segment consisting of 40-50 year olds

Ian.
So according to your logic, people like me are going to give up our workstations when we get to 50 because then arrangers will have the styles I'm looking for?

It's not going to happen mate, I can tell you that for sure right now.

Regards
James

#301516 - 12/27/10 09:05 AM Re: Is Yamaha taking down all other Arrangers One By One ....little by little.....
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by spalding1968:
this is just nonsense Donny. There has to be something more substantial to talk about than to start this kind of thread surely???

So lets see...Hmmmmm? 83 posts so far not bad for nonsense

#301517 - 12/27/10 09:13 AM Re: Is Yamaha taking down all other Arrangers One By One ....little by little.....
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
Ian.
So according to your logic, people like me are going to give up our workstations when we get to 50 because then arrangers will have the styles I'm looking for?

It's not going to happen mate, I can tell you that for sure right now.

Regards
James

No, according to my logic, you won't be in the market for a Tyros...you want more extensive editing for sounds and sequences.

You will buy a Korg.

However, there will be lots of over 40-50 interested in the way Yamaha presents it's arrangers.

You just won't be one of them.

If Korg did things Yamaha's way, they'd alienate their target market...and vice-versa.

Why is it so hard to see that there are two successful marketing strategies, that obviously co-exist with no problems?

Maybe there's more beneath the surface than we know...perhaps Yamaha and Korg are actually working together to cover both markets?

There seems to be more emphasis on coexistence than competitiveness...maybe there is something left over from the time when Yamaha saved Korg's cookies by buying into the company?

Who knows for sure?

Ian

#301518 - 12/27/10 09:38 AM Re: Is Yamaha taking down all other Arrangers One By One ....little by little.....
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Ian,
But, If I was 25, played arranger...specifically Korg...TODAY...and then I get to 50...will I change to Yamaha because now they have styles for the music I grew up with?

Somehow I think not..so if that is correct..when todays youth grow to 50+ who will Yamaha sell to?

IMHO, If Yamaha does not have the youth of today..they will not have the older crowd of tomorrow (Hey...it will be the same people)

Lee S.

#301519 - 12/27/10 09:42 AM Re: Is Yamaha taking down all other Arrangers One By One ....little by little.....
124 Offline

To paraphrase Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder:

Yamaha and Korg Comp'ny
Live together in perfect harmony
Side by side on my 'rranger keyboard
Oh Lord, why can't we?
---------------------------------------------

Oh, and Jamman, I've been playing an i30 and a Pa1XPro over the past ten years purely as an arranger, no SMFs, on western (pop, rock, top-40, ballads, standards, and so on). I must be a rarity, then. How cool is that?

#301520 - 12/27/10 09:56 AM Re: Is Yamaha taking down all other Arrangers One By One ....little by little.....
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
Ian,
But, If I was 25, played arranger...specifically Korg...TODAY...and then I get to 50...will I change to Yamaha because now they have styles for the music I grew up with?

Somehow I think not..so if that is correct..when todays youth grow to 50+ who will Yamaha sell to?

IMHO, If Yamaha does not have the youth of today..they will not have the older crowd of tomorrow (Hey...it will be the same people)

Lee S.

+1

#301521 - 12/27/10 09:59 AM Re: Is Yamaha taking down all other Arrangers One By One ....little by little.....
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Ian,

Lee S.

Well Lee, you can't use a mindset of today (for example, 25), to predict what you would want in 25 years time at 50.

There are two distinct markets...Yamaha caters to one, and Korg the other.

Of course, there will be some overlap.

Also consider, that arrangers as we know them today, may/will exist in much different forms in 25 years time...there may not be any arrangers being made of the type now being made by Yamaha and Korg.

Answer me this...Yamaha and Casio sell a lot of entry level arrangers...who buys them?

Ian

Page 9 of 14 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online