SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 11 of 13 < 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#286778 - 05/06/10 04:28 AM Re: KORG PA2X Style on MS, Sound Comparison
Beakybird Offline

I'd be interested in what Diki thinks of an mp3, but I am tired of hearing him shoot down the concept of an open arranger. We get the idea already.

I don't want an open arranger, but there are others who do, and they shouldn't be constantly told that they are wasting their time.

I thought I would never use a cell phone or a computer, and I was wrong.

Maybe someday I'll be playing an open arranger - when they become easier to use.

Beakybird

#286779 - 05/06/10 06:36 AM Re: KORG PA2X Style on MS, Sound Comparison
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi BlkNotes.
I think your missing the point entirely here.

No Medastation owner is going to want to even do what your talking about because a simple performance on any track in a style is going to have far greater dynamics and response to the real world than a sound from the Tyros will.

Your sounds on the Tyros will all be looped short, stretched, and you won't have many layers to them. The dynamics of the sound are heavily faked by the sound engine.

Memory wise a single Giga sound can be larger than every single sound on your Tyros combined because there is no need to worry about the lengths of samples, the amount of them and so on.

Because of this even a Guitar is going to have 100% natural string decay, no loop points, far more detailed multisamples, and many multisample layers. I have some guitars that have 5 layers to them for example. So with difference velocities and note data everything responds far better than it would if your Tyros was playing the same note data. It's not just the response though, the sounds are just far more realistic sounding because of the sampling being 100% natural.

I don't even think you will even want to specifically trigger effects when you hear how much more natural a performance is from a giga sound when it receives the same note data.

But if you did want to trigger them and ignore everything I've just said, well the only thing I can say is look at Live Styler yourself and see what it has to offer in this department.

Regards
James

#286780 - 05/06/10 07:10 AM Re: KORG PA2X Style on MS, Sound Comparison
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
BlkNotes

Your best bet is to listen to some of the excellent Mediastation demos posted that showcase how "natural" it sounds...and then make your decision.

Ian

#286781 - 05/06/10 09:01 AM Re: KORG PA2X Style on MS, Sound Comparison
Spalding 4 Offline

Loc: UK
if you ever listen to a guitarist play its the fret noises, slides dead notes and bends that make a guitar sound authentically like a guitar. Replicating that from scratch on a keyboard is no easy task regardless as to how many samples are in the sound or the size of the sample. Trying to trigger a slide or a muted sound or a scrape as intuitively as a guitar player would is tough. Thats why the styles that utilise these techniques in the yamaha/korg are so great and really difficult to get similar results when you have to try and programme all those elements cohesively and convincingly. It is easier to do with monophonic sounds like saxes and basses. The best Bass emulation i have heard so far is this one http://www.spectrasonics.net/news/2010/artist-videos-george-duke-greg-phillinganes/

Guitars playing chords is a lot harder but i guess with enough tiome and practise anything is doable.

#286782 - 05/06/10 10:51 AM Re: KORG PA2X Style on MS, Sound Comparison
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK

#286783 - 05/06/10 11:21 AM Re: KORG PA2X Style on MS, Sound Comparison
Bachus Offline

Great plugin, and not to expensive, got it online for less then 100 euro's.

It requires a lot of guitar knowledge tough to use.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#286784 - 05/06/10 11:28 AM Re: KORG PA2X Style on MS, Sound Comparison
Irishacts Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
BlkNotes

Your best bet is to listen to some of the excellent Mediastation demos posted that showcase how "natural" it sounds...and then make your decision.

Ian

What's that supposed to mean ?

#286785 - 05/06/10 11:32 AM Re: KORG PA2X Style on MS, Sound Comparison
BlkNotes Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by abacus:
[B]If you want to play guitar on a keyboard, (Either live or for a style) then have a listen to these below. (Link to site at the end)

Hi Bill;

That is the type of guitar sound I would like for a style. So my goal would not be to play the guitar part with both hands, but instead to have that type of guitar sound initiated in a particular style triggered with my left hand chords. So, is that possible to do on the MS?

Thanks
BN

#286786 - 05/06/10 11:43 AM Re: KORG PA2X Style on MS, Sound Comparison
BlkNotes Offline

Hello James;

Point taken. I understand that the actual sound generated in the styles will be much better bucause of the types of samples used ( i.e. giga ) but what about the other components that make up a sound in a style. For instance a guitar Rhythm has fret noises, slides, noises of fingers on strings, bending etc.. Brass intruments in a style backing can have slides, trumpet rattle/shake, blasts of sound etc.. How can these be implemented on the MS?

I don't have a tyros I was just using the mega voices in thier styles as an example. Korg Pa2x does the same thing with there styles as does Audya and G-70. So how does one acheive similar effects in thier styles on the MS?

Thanks;
BN

#286787 - 05/06/10 12:35 PM Re: KORG PA2X Style on MS, Sound Comparison
Irishacts Offline

BlkNotes

Quote:
For instance a guitar Rhythm has fret noises, slides, noises of fingers on strings, bending etc.. Brass intruments in a style backing can have slides, trumpet rattle/shake, blasts of sound etc.. How can these be implemented on the MS?

Guitar sounds will be different but basically there are two ways you can do this.

1: You sample the original sound. (don't recommend this though.)
Or
2: You buy premium content that has those kind of sounds assigned to notes and you insert note data into the style to trigger these off.

This is why I'm recommending that it's best to just forget about even doing this and just focusing on getting the benefits from the Giga sounds playing the straight note data. The benefit you get from having the big giga sounds will give you an entirely different dimension to your sound.

That said.... this is purely limited to noises you wish to trigger. The vast majority of Giga sounds I own all respond like the real instruments and just by hitting the key hard on a guitar, I'll get a slide, or a Trumpet, I'll get a shaking effect.

It's only the likes of fret noises and fx like that you won't easily get access too without programing very specific note data into a style.

Just don't forget premium content costs money.

Quote:
I don't have a tyros I was just using the mega voices in thier styles as an example

Ok, no worries.

Quote:
Korg Pa2x does the same thing with there styles

The Pa2X is extremely advanced. RX can be easily emulated, but DNC is a different story though. You can't emulate that as it's a technology not a sound or sample. You can buy some VSTi's that do the same kind of thing, but they are rare.

KORG gets a huge two thumbs up from me on everything they do. Not because I own KORG Forums, but because they are simply leading the way in closed arranger keyboards. No other make of closed keybaord offers more, or even comes close technical abilities.

Quote:
as does Audya and G-70.

Both of which have very crude engines and sample sets. Dead basic stuff there but hey.... they sound good so that's all that matters.

Anyway... bottom line from me is forget trying to emulate closed keyboards with Giga files. Do your own thing. That's the entire point of an open keyboard.

Regards
James

Page 11 of 13 < 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online