SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 27 28 >
Topic Options
#284785 - 04/06/10 09:19 PM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Hey Jim...good to see ya.

You obviously are still enjoying the PA-800...weren't you considering a PA2XPro as well?

Ian

Hello Ian,

Yes, enjoying the 800 more every day. Playing lots of gigs still. Gonna take something awful special to pry me away. Hope all is well.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#284786 - 04/06/10 10:01 PM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
Bachus Offline

i'd say Audya was still in developement...till OS3, we don't know about OS4 how good it is yet.

One of the biggest keyboard dealers overhere in Holland and authorized ketron dealer isn't selling any Audya's yet. He admitted that the board was great, but to many failures...

He said, i can't sell my customers a board thats not finished yet.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#284787 - 04/06/10 10:53 PM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
As far as I can tell the Audya substitutes midi guitar for live guitars on Augmented and Diminished chords. It's hard to hear during a performance. You would have to isolate the guitar, which I don't often do, particularly if I'm playing a song with those chords.
The Audya seems to recognize and correctly play all other chords, including 9ths, 13ths, etc., AND rootless chords, which not many arrangers do.
I'm not going to start listing all the "tricks" the Audya can do, because I could write most of the night about them.
It is ridiculous to criticize a keyboard you have never seen or played and a company with which you have never dealt.
I understand that Yamaha pays you Ian, but that doesn't make the other companies bad.
You have been dropping insinuations about the stability of Ketron for a year or so now. They seem to be doing just fine despite this.
It's one of the few companies that produce a 76-note arranger and various modules. In fact it may now be the ONLY company doing either. I think they fill a definite niche that nobody else is addressing and they provide a sound that nobody else has.
Yes there is work remaining to be done on the Audya, but they seem to be doing it, and thank goodness nobody has come up and told me the guitar player changed tones for a half measure or so when I played a diminished passing chord, so they are not leaving me a tip.
DonM

#284788 - 04/06/10 11:47 PM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
As far as I can tell the Audya substitutes midi guitar for live guitars on Augmented and Diminished chords. It's hard to hear during a performance. You would have to isolate the guitar, which I don't often do, particularly if I'm playing a song with those chords.
The Audya seems to recognize and correctly play all other chords, including 9ths, 13ths, etc., AND rootless chords, which not many arrangers do.
I'm not going to start listing all the "tricks" the Audya can do, because I could write most of the night about them.
It is ridiculous to criticize a keyboard you have never seen or played and a company with which you have never dealt.
I understand that Yamaha pays you Ian, but that doesn't make the other companies bad.
You have been dropping insinuations about the stability of Ketron for a year or so now. They seem to be doing just fine despite this.
It's one of the few companies that produce a 76-note arranger and various modules. In fact it may now be the ONLY company doing either. I think they fill a definite niche that nobody else is addressing and they provide a sound that nobody else has.
Yes there is work remaining to be done on the Audya, but they seem to be doing it, and thank goodness nobody has come up and told me the guitar player changed tones for a half measure or so when I played a diminished passing chord, so they are not leaving me a tip.
DonM

BIG +1 !!

#284789 - 04/07/10 12:09 AM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:

No it is not, Don. I heard the Audya's issues with the audio and midi guitars just like everyone else did when the demos were posted on this forum...and I was not the only one to question why this was allowed to reach production.

It has diddly squat to do with me working for Yamaha, but it has everything to do with my interest in new keyboards in general, which is pretty much the same as everyone else on this forum.

I actually said more good things about the Audya than bad, and the bad was already evident to many here...I have stayed out of the awful issues with the OS debates, and the incredibly poor communications because I don't know much about the company in that way, but anyone can hear the guitar issues, and it's been discussed by many more than me who have not played the Audya.

It has been said by several others that the Audya is still a work in progress, and that may be true...certainly the solution to the audio guitars not being able to play complex chords was far from ideal...you said so yourself many times.

I could see your point if I was saying something about the Audya that was untrue...but what I'm stating is simply common knowledge on this forum.

Ian

#284790 - 04/07/10 12:41 AM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
Tonewheeldude Offline

what demos are these then Ian? I have been playing Audya since December 2008 and have not experienced any problems with the live guitars.

surely your not referring to the prototype demos from way back when?

#284791 - 04/07/10 01:21 AM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
Spalding 4 Offline

Loc: UK
Ian is right. I remeber the problem too and this was not prototype Audya's but ones being sold as complete market ready units.Here is the thread but the actual recordings have been deleted it would seem.

But i remember them myself and i was disappointed that the Audya real guitars substituted midi notes instead of real audio for complex chords. Please let us klnow if this has been fixed.
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/019051.html

#284792 - 04/07/10 03:14 AM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Thanks Spalding...I wasn't sure where that thread had got to....but I do remember it very well, as well as I do recall how the demos showed how poorly the Audya handled the guitar chords.

It's also a bit informative, and amusing, to read the posts by Leezone and a few others...Nedim's and Rikki's comments were also quite enlightening regarding the potential difficulty in making user styles on this instrument.

I'm not quite sure that having such terrific audio bass and drums quite makes up for the poor audio guitar implementation...I know it wouldn't for me, and according to that particular thread, it was obvious a few others felt the same way.

I'm curious if this "problem", "issue", "workaround", or whatever one wants to call it, has been corrected, fixed, or better executed on the current model with the present-day OS, and if the new OS4 will rectify the issue.

Ian

#284793 - 04/07/10 03:32 AM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
Tonewheeldude Offline

thats version 1.0A!

This is realy picking at straws as I don't know anyone who plays a keyboard this way, anyway I am off sick and have a few minutes so I just tried the Audya I have here and played the following chord variations. I marked the ones with a * which I felt switched to midi guitars, but its pretty hard to tell on some as sometimes there are two guitars playing together and the midi guitars on the Audya are very high quality. In amongst a style the changes are not noticable particuarly as these odd chords tend to be played in passing. All the ones without the * definately played live guitars. I think I have covered about every chord variation, but if i missed any let me know.

I have a feeling if I gave this list to a guitarist he would laugh at me..but here goes:

Major
Minor
Dominant 7th
Major 7th
Minor 7th
Minor Major 7th
Sus 4 *
Sus 2
Minor 6
Minor 9
Major 9
Minor Major 9
Minor 11
Major 11
Minor Major 11
Minor 13
Major 13
Minor Major 13
add 9
Minor add9
6 add 9
minor 6 add 9
Dominant 7th add 11
Major 7th add 11
Minor 7th add 11 *
Minor Major 7th add 11
Dominant 7th add 13
Major 7th add 13
Minor 7th add 13
Minor major 7th add 13
7b5
7#5 *
7b9
7#5b9 *
m7b5 *
m7#5
m7b9
9#11
9b13
6sus4
7sus4 (* hard to tell on this)
Major 7th Sus 4 *
9sus4
Major 9 Sus4

#284794 - 04/07/10 03:39 AM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
Tonewheeldude Offline

ok i need to add something.

it seems that if the guitarist is playing an arpeggio it will play ALL chord variations, but strumming is a different matter. So it seems for the sake of a keyboard player those some odd chords are replaced with a midi pattern so there are no drop outs in sound. But when the notes are picked one after another the audya will definately play every chord variation without any change in sound.

on styles with a strumming guitar AND arpeggio the arpeggio makes it almost impossible to tell when the change to midi guitar is made.

[This message has been edited by Tonewheeldude (edited 04-07-2010).]

Page 5 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 27 28 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online