SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 20 of 28 < 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 27 28 >
Topic Options
#284935 - 04/14/10 11:36 AM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

I hope I explained my preferences a little better here....Anti Yamaha..NO.....Anti specific models...absolutely..

We both know what kind of sound we like to hear coming out of our speakers.

Do I like all Yamaha instruments? No, no more than I like all Roland instruments.

The type of sound I like, is present in both manufactures...I like Roland's new HP-307 piano a lot, and Roland's RD-700GX with the SuperNatural piano card in it...I used Roland arrangers for years, until Yamaha caught with them, basically with the PSR-2700/1700 and the PSR-8000.

I would have been using Technics instead of Roland back then, but the former wasn't well represented in my area, and I wanted good support...also I didn't have the luxury of the Internet back then either.

So, I'm, not anti-Roland by any stretch of the imagination...I didn't a buy a G-70/E-80 for their complimentary (to Yamaha) styles and voices, because they were too heavy and awkward to do any gigging with (same reason I didn't get a 9000 Pro)...I considered the Prelude/GW-8, but was quite disappointed in the styles, sounds, and to some extent, the construction...they weren't much better than the old E-70 I had, and were certainly nothing like the G-70/E-80.

Hopefully, the Prelude/GW-8 won't be the last Roland arrangers we see...I was very surprised they didn't make something about the same as an S910 in price range, and features...sort of like a new(er) E-50.

Ian

#284936 - 04/14/10 01:42 PM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
Dnj Offline

I'd say Roland will surprise us very soon with another arranger KB TOTL/MOTL.....
just have that feeling....don't count them out..

#284937 - 04/15/10 12:47 PM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Thing is, just as you were disappointed that the Ketron's guitars weren't exposed, same thing from me about the Yamaha's, too. I would be using naked guitars a LOT doing what I do, and hearing them that way is the only way to tell. Just as the Yamaha's sound pretty damn good in a mix, I have to admit that the Ketron's also sound damn good in a mix.

It's not until you challenge them with soloing and complex voicings that you start to get the TRUE story.

My take is that, on the one hand, you get better voicings with the Yamaha's (still don't recall an S910 demo from you making the most of the new guitar NTT's, though), but you get better audio realism from the Ketron's. And would LOVE to hear something that proved me wrong...

Diki (who's calling ME a Lemon?!) the Curious

#284938 - 04/15/10 01:33 PM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
My take is that, on the one hand, you get better voicings with the Yamaha's but you get better audio realism from the Ketron's.

I would prefer Yamaha's accurate/musically correct/realistic voicings AND great sounding guitars (mega voiced, no less), than to listen to Audya's excellent audio guitars with average midi guitars mixed in for the notes the former can't play...that, to me, from the demos I heard posted, sounded fake.

Ian the Discomfited

#284939 - 04/15/10 02:58 PM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
Tonewheeldude Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I would prefer Yamaha's accurate/musically correct/realistic voicings AND great sounding guitars (mega voiced, no less),

LMAO

thats the funniest post i ever read on synthzone..hehe

ask a guitarist to play the same chords as your yamaha, say three or four consecutive chords, each one exactly one tone higher than the last using exactly the same inversion but transposed one tone higher each time...just like your keyboard does, and ask him to strum at exactly the same volume every single time and make the length of sustain identical each time too.

and see if it sounds natural...or even possible...lol

yep i'm sure Yamaha's "mega midi guitars" sound far more natural than any live guitarist ever could

[This message has been edited by Tonewheeldude (edited 04-15-2010).]

#284940 - 04/15/10 03:20 PM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
mc Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I would prefer Yamaha's accurate/musically correct/realistic voicings AND great sounding guitars (mega voiced, no less), than to listen to Audya's excellent audio guitars with average midi guitars mixed in for the notes the former can't play...that, to me, from the demos I heard posted, sounded fake.

Ian the Discomfited

That maybe the case, but I just sold my Yamaha not because of the guitars it was because of the drums. They were horrible. I have to say though the solo voices of the guitars are one of the best I've heard. But Yamaha mega voice guitars just do not make up the entire style. The drums and the other instruments also count. The realism the audya is just unbelievable, midi guitars or not.

#284941 - 04/15/10 03:28 PM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
leezone Offline

mc, i agree

IMO, the Yamaha drums suck
when compared to AUDYA's

if anyone thinks otherwise then they must either:

1- get their ears checked
2- love that plastic, GM'ish sound
3- not care about one of the most important elements of a style, or shall i say the element which MOST gives the style life and that "live" in your face factor
4- not yet TRIED ONE OUT, and A/B'd AUDYA's drums to ANY others (including my beloved G-70)

5- work for or endorse another brand (ie. Yamaha) i think someone here does...hhmmm

[This message has been edited by leezone (edited 04-15-2010).]

#284942 - 04/15/10 03:44 PM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tonewheeldude:
yep i'm sure Yamaha's "mega midi guitars" sound far more natural than any live guitarist ever could

Not really, Mr. Dude, although, in my opinion, they do handle the chords more accurately/musically correct/realistically than the Audya...gee, even the old G-70 does a better job...at least it uses one guitar to play all the chord types, rather than need to use two.

Audya's last minute fix is what should be laughed at, although I'm too polite to do so...what a dumb idea, to release a keyboard that has audio guitars that can't play all the chords without needing to add MIDI guitar notes...it's like a guitarist having to get another guitar player to help him play complex chords...that's natural is it?

Naturally fake.

Ian

#284943 - 04/15/10 03:58 PM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mc:
That maybe the case, but I just sold my Yamaha not because of the guitars it was because of the drums.

Yes, Audya does better drums AND bass if you like them dominating the mix....I don't...I prefer an instrument with a smooth balanced sound, like the Yamaha's.

But to try and say that using one guitar to play some of the notes, and another to play the ones the first one cannot, is natural and realistic, is rather funny, especially considering the ones you're trying to pass this malarky off on, are musicians.

Ian

#284944 - 04/15/10 04:03 PM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
Tonewheeldude Offline

MC..I think you heard what i heard...the tick...tick...tickity...tick of the midi high hat just gets too much after having access to live drums.

I like the checklist leezone, I think the problem is that number 2 indicates a shift in benchmark. I used to get it alot with Hammond. People's benchmark for a good Hammond sound would be the one they are used to. I could write a book (well booklet, well a two page article) on the number of experiences I had with keyboard players doing just that.

And forgive me Yamaha who payeth my Gas Bill last month, but I have to take the shot...

I am certain the Mega Midi Guitars are the best Ian has ever played....until November and the all new Tyros 4 of course when the new "Giga Midi Guitars" will be so much more natural and life like than ever he believed possible and then Tyros 5 in May 2012 with the all new "Tera Midi Guitars" which absolutely blow guitarists off the stage with their realism!

top 10 Acoustic Guitarists of the decade:

1. Tera Midi Guitar (Pat Pending)
2. Giga Midi Guitar (TM)
3. Mega Midi Guitar (R)
4. Michael Hedges
5. Leo Kottke
6. Chet Atkins
7. Phil Keaggy
8. John Fahey
9. Adrian Legg
10. Merle Travis

Page 20 of 28 < 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 27 28 >