SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#273374 - 10/07/09 06:21 PM Bose Compact review LIVE
zuki Offline

I was BLOWN AWAY. And this was MONO. I will definitely go the extra mile and get another one. The bass and treble are separated just the way it should be and my voice was crystal clear, cutting through the mix. I love the extensions and the way I can hear the whole deal. Thanks guys for steering me this way.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#273375 - 10/07/09 06:26 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
Dnj Offline

Good luck Zuki....you made the right choice.

#273376 - 10/07/09 07:06 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Welcome to my world, lol...

Ohio Bose owners UNITE!

Glad you're pleased with it, Jim...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#273377 - 10/07/09 07:47 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Zuki....wait till you use two.

Remember, you only have to buy a great PA system once.

It will last through many arranger changes, and will soon pay for itself.

Bose is great quality, so you should be good for quite some time.

I'm glad to hear things worked out for you.

#273378 - 10/07/09 10:35 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Na-na-na-na-nana, I TOLD YOU SO.

DonM

#273379 - 10/08/09 06:03 AM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Jim - I think you will be happy with your choice. My first experience with my Compact was not the best, but everyone here at SZ helped set me straight and now I wouldn't go back to my other PA options for anything. You may find you like the one Compact so much that you don't miss your stereo, but if you do at least a second Compact is not that out cost prohibitive. Enjoy.

I think Bill in Dayton will be somewhat jealous; he wants one for Christmas...

#273380 - 10/08/09 06:40 AM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I took the Bose L1 Compact to a fellow entertainer's home yesterday, connected it to his PSR-2000, plugged in my Samson Q7 mic, made a few quick EQ adjustments on the keyboard and mic settings, fired up a style and the first words out of his mouth were "Damned, that keyboard has NEVER sounded this good." He was blown away by the L1 Compact, and his wife, who is an incredible jazz singer, could not believe the crispness and clarity of the vocals.

Unfortunately, he was in such a position that he couldn't afford to purchase the L1 Compact at this time, but he put an order in for the mic while I was there. We also plugged in a new SM-58 that he recently purchased and while it sounded fairly good, it did not hold a candle to the less expensive Samson Q7.

Now, for me at least, stereo doesn't mean a thing--that's an individual choice or preference. For those that have to hear stereo, and they own a keyboard with built-in speakers, why not just leave your speakers turned on? You'll hear stereo, most audiences could care less and you'll save lots of money by purchasing just a single L1 Compact.

Good Luck, Jim,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#273381 - 10/08/09 07:11 AM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Jim - I think you will be happy with your choice. My first experience with my Compact was not the best, but everyone here at SZ helped set me straight and now I wouldn't go back to my other PA options for anything. You may find you like the one Compact so much that you don't miss your stereo, but if you do at least a second Compact is not that out cost prohibitive. Enjoy.

I think Bill in Dayton will be somewhat jealous; he wants one for Christmas...

What ya mean? He already has all the toys

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#273382 - 10/08/09 07:16 AM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
I took the Bose L1 Compact to a fellow entertainer's home yesterday, connected it to his PSR-2000, plugged in my Samson Q7 mic, made a few quick EQ adjustments on the keyboard and mic settings, fired up a style and the first words out of his mouth were "Damned, that keyboard has NEVER sounded this good." He was blown away by the L1 Compact, and his wife, who is an incredible jazz singer, could not believe the crispness and clarity of the vocals.

Unfortunately, he was in such a position that he couldn't afford to purchase the L1 Compact at this time, but he put an order in for the mic while I was there. We also plugged in a new SM-58 that he recently purchased and while it sounded fairly good, it did not hold a candle to the less expensive Samson Q7.

Now, for me at least, stereo doesn't mean a thing--that's an individual choice or preference. For those that have to hear stereo, and they own a keyboard with built-in speakers, why not just leave your speakers turned on? You'll hear stereo, most audiences could care less and you'll save lots of money by purchasing just a single L1 Compact.

Good Luck, Jim,

Gary

I know Gary. I was thinking all the while I was playing about NOT needing (2). I'd say 90% sounded terrific. When I got to my Cole Porter Night and Day (I play an all strings arrangement), it just didn't have the beauty. I'll do more again today and beyond and decide. I am one who likes that ear balance. The keyboard speakers stay on, but they seemed to diminish more when the Bose kicked in. I will most probably get 2 - I play many x per day and want the very best.

#273383 - 10/08/09 07:18 AM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Na-na-na-na-nana, I TOLD YOU SO.

DonM

We finally agreed on something The Bose stereo will be a real treat and totally inspiring - what it's all about anyway.

#273384 - 10/08/09 12:13 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
kla4 Offline

Loc: NL
Congrats!
I'm glad you love the sound.

#273385 - 10/08/09 07:12 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
zuki Offline

You know, this thing is PERFECT for small venues, especially if using a kybd with speakers. Just put it behind you on a table and balance the keys and Bose and it is TERRIFIC! A breeze to set up - epitome of COMPACT.

#273386 - 10/08/09 08:25 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Tell you one thing... you set up in front of your PA, and you can STILL hear the arranger's speakers, you aren't pushing that PA very hard!

#273387 - 10/08/09 09:17 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Tell you one thing... you set up in front of your PA, and you can STILL hear the arranger's speakers, you aren't pushing that PA very hard!

Oh it sounded great Diki. Should have been there - chicks in night gowns and the whole works

#273388 - 10/08/09 09:57 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
Diki Offline

One day I will, zuki.... one day I will!

#273389 - 10/09/09 06:18 AM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
One day I will, zuki.... one day I will!

Will that be you in the nightgown?!?!? ...

t.

#273390 - 10/09/09 06:22 AM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
You know, this thing is PERFECT for small venues, especially if using a kybd with speakers. Just put it behind you on a table and balance the keys and Bose and it is TERRIFIC! A breeze to set up - epitome of COMPACT.

Zuki glad your enjoying the BC..it's a very versatile unit that SOUNDS GREAT!!

#273391 - 10/09/09 11:20 AM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Will that be you in the nightgown?!?!? ...

t.

If my nurse reminds me to wear one!

#273392 - 10/09/09 12:11 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
If my nurse reminds me to wear one!

t.

#273393 - 10/09/09 12:57 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
zuki Offline

Bose Compact is great for small. Didn't paticulary like it this afternoon on a big job. Jury is still out. I have 45 days.

#273394 - 10/09/09 01:37 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
zuki Offline

Bose Compact is great for small. Didn't paticulary like it this afternoon on a big job. Jury is still out. I have 45 days.

#273395 - 10/09/09 01:47 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Did you have both extensions on ?

#273396 - 10/09/09 01:48 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:

zuki ... How big was the job, and what were the problems?
thnx,
t.

#273397 - 10/09/09 02:07 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
cassp Offline

I've got my Compact dialed in at 1 o'clock and it's perfect. The s900 is at 10-11 o'clock most of time. Where did yhou play that you couldn't fill up the swpace? Did you have everything dialed in correctly, or were you up against a wall with no space between you and the Bose? Please explain.

#273398 - 10/09/09 02:12 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The extensions do not add to the sound. They don't contain speakers. I generally use one extension on each side. That puts the top speaker at my ear level and since I'm on a bandstand it is slightly above the diners as they are seated, and about ear level for dancers.
DonM

#273399 - 10/09/09 02:46 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
Diki Offline

Zuki points out something we rarely talk about here... sound quality versus volume. Every piece of gear has an optimal area. And the differences in volume (and clientèle and location) are often drastic between us. To the point that no recommendation can ever be a sure bet until you have seen and heard the gear at the volumes and locations that you tend to play at. Or, to be more accurate, at the LOUDEST volume and location you are ever likely to play at!

This is where the rubber meets the road..! If your gear can't handle your loudest jobs, what do you do? Hire another PA? Buy another PA? Or buy what handles the loudest, and use it 100% of the time, even if it is a bit heavier (or a LOT heavier )?

That's the decision we all have to make (except the home players!).

Me, I tend to gear up for the loudest. At least, with that, if I get real band gigs, my gear can handle it. If I geared up for OMB NH and cocktail levels, I could never put a band through it (or cover a large noisy club), and would have to buy a SECOND PA. Waste of money, IMO. If all I did was NH OMB, I'd probably be right there with a stereo Compact rig. But until then, I've got to account for the high end of the volume needs first...

#273400 - 10/09/09 02:54 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
travlin'easy Offline

Zuki,

As Tony asked "How big was the job?" I've performed outdoors, using a single L1 Compact, with audiences to 250, and experienced no problems at all. I wasn't playing head-banging rock, but Kansas City, Proud Mary, Leroy Brown, and many similar songs were met with rounds of applause and lots of folks dancing.

My settings are a bit different than Cass', with the keyboard's master volume at 1 o'clock and the Bose at 11 o'clock. Works for me.

As Don stated, there are no speakers in the two tower extensions, but I believe that using both tends to improve the mid range sounds. I don't know exactly why, but this is the way it sounds to me. Maybe it has something to do with the way the top section resonates through the two, hollow extensions. I just don't know, but it sure sounds better to me when I use both. I read somewhere on the Bose forum several months ago where it was recommended using both extensions, or none at all when the L1 is placed on an elevated platform.

Also, you may have to set your keyboard's EQs a bit different for the larger jobs. I have done this and saved those settings into memory so they can be recalled the next time I perform there. Most of the time, however, they tend to remain the same for nearly all jobs, regardless of size.

Hope this helps,

Gary

#273401 - 10/09/09 03:18 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
Diki Offline

The same volume that would get a crowd of 50+ year old country clubbers dancing and clapping wouldn't even get a yawn out of some 20 something clubbers. Even if you WERE playing Kansas City, Proud Mary, Leroy Brown etc. (which basically pegs your audience right there).

I know you love your Bose, Gary (and I don't disagree with you, I think for the purpose they are designed for, they are brilliant!) but is it at ALL possible for you to envision a situation where they WOULDN'T do the job? Where do most of the 20-35 year olds party in your town? And do you honestly think a single Compact could even approach that SPL and stay clean?

Entertaining the elderly, and rocking the young take very different approaches and equipment. A blanket recommendation only covers those with the same bed size!

#273402 - 10/09/09 05:43 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
Would you select a hammer when the job called for a screwdriver? Or a spanner?

I don't think the Compact was designed with pressure-cooker rock club in mind at all.

However, for my jazz gigs, the compliments from everyone, staff, waiters, bartenders, club managers and owners, and, of course the audience, tell me that I'm on to something big here.

And then there are the jazz singers.

Every one of 'em is taken with the pair of Compacts driven by my Mackie mixer. Even when I only took the little Behringer mixer, same results.

I still have the large PA, in case, but I'm no longer doing the pressure-cooker gigs and for the jazz gigs, it was simply way too much, what with the 4-14s and the two horns from those Mackie powered speakers. They focused way out in front somewhere, even at low volume levels. The Bose Compacts simply are more intimate in the more intimate jazz club scenario.

And I'm loving not having to diddle with a separate monitor system, which never sounds like the front anyway. What I hear is what they hear. Oh happy day.

--Mac
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#273403 - 10/09/09 07:13 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
zuki Offline

Back from the jobs today. A mixed bag of small and large and posh.

First, let me say that I am not looking to be catered to. I respect everyone's opinions and acceptance of what they like.

I just don't think it's for me. It was great on the small stuff, to put behind me and not use the extensions. That said, I do admit it does not have the wonderful separation that I use so much on very elegant songs. That, in itself, is very bothersome (to me).

I used both extensions on a larger venue (125 appx) this afternoon. I cranked the volume to 12 o'clock on the Bose and 1/2 way or so on the 800. I put the unit directly behind me (5'8", so it was above my head). I do this because I simply cannot take the unit on one side or the other - I go ear deaf after the gig. It had plenty of volume, but was very annoying and loud to me, although the crowd seemed to love it. Maybe it's me, but it seems the instruments sound compressed.

The last job was a posh club I play monthly. This time medium volume. Again, same as previous setup, which is not good. The feedback is also a constant, when I move from the keys. The crowd loved it.

I do not like the Bose mono. Maybe stereo would be better. It makes perfect sense to do so, since I can lug in just one piece on most days and have my glory on bigger stuff.

End result, it's not for me. I'd rather have the stereo separation on the floor, or check out the Roland stereo unit in November. Hell, you buy 2 for one on this unit.

It doesn't really come down to price. I can afford the Bose and Bosi, but I am not totally blown away like I thought I'd be, so why pay this premium?

Thanks for listening.

#273404 - 10/09/09 07:22 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Why should anyone listen to you?

#273405 - 10/09/09 07:33 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:

You know, you're right. I'll sort this thing out myself. Thanks for your caring inspiration.

#273406 - 10/09/09 07:39 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
Dnj Offline

Zuki.....just return it ..it ain't for you. No big deal...move on & buy something YOU like. There is so much out there.
Good Luck.

#273407 - 10/09/09 07:42 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:

Wow, Bill ... what happened .. did you shoot 80 today ?!?!? ... Don beat you again ?!?!? ...

t.

#273408 - 10/09/09 07:57 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
cassp Offline

Quote:

Don't know what SemiLive really meant, but that sure came across as crass. Jim, we should listen to you because you are relaying info from your experiences which is priceless.

My experience with the Compact first time out was I set it almost directly behind me, set the keyboard to about 3 o'clock and the Compact down to about 10. I got terrible sound and plenty of feedback from my mic. I was told to set the Compact further away and set the amp volume louder than the keyboard output. Things were great now. As for placement, I usually set it at least 3 feet behind me and about 6-8 feet to my left. I aim the tower to the center of the back of the room. I get the same sound the crowd is hearing and never feel it's too loud for me. The first time anyone says it's too loud, I'll adjust my settings, but this works for me.

I'm sorry you don't seem to like the Compact as much as many of us do. That's certainly your perogative. As Donny always says, use YOUR ears. We're only here to add some background opinions and suggestions. They wouldn't be making all those other PA's if they weren't good for someone...

#273409 - 10/09/09 08:11 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Just a suggestion before you give up the Bose entirely.

Jim, you have to try two of them...if you don't like after that, then you've tried it fully, and you can make your decision without any second guesses, and without any wondering.

I didn't like the one Bose Compact...it was only "okay", but we both know the Yamaha does not collapse to mono very well, so my choice was made ahead of time, and I really had no option other than to try two of them.

It made a big difference, and like you, I want stereo sound in my ears, at least.

I haven't bought the Compacts yet...I'm still waiting to see how and where I'll be doing most of my playing...if it's just doing the restaurant thing, I already have a great stereo speaker system for that...two Yamaha MS60S powered monitors.

Good luck with whatever you choose...just don't give up too easily.

#273410 - 10/09/09 08:17 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
Dnj Offline

I would never put it behind me I have my BC 6-7feet to my right side directly parallel to my ears..set at
12 o'clock...if your KB is EQ'd correctly there should be no problem having a wonderful sound.

#273411 - 10/09/09 08:18 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
zuki Offline

Thanks Cass and Donny. No harm from Semi. I can come across as very indecisive and confusing in my love/hate reviews. I give myself a headache too.

I appreciate the help, but I must move to something different. Maybe I'll go back after trying other stuff, but for now, it's not for my type arrangements.

I'm the minority on this one and maybe wrong. I'll report next on the BA-330. For now, back to the 8s

#273412 - 10/09/09 08:23 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
zuki Offline

Thanks Ian. For only 5% tops of jobs requiring Bosi, I just have to pass on it.

#273413 - 10/09/09 08:36 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
Dnj Offline

Zuki maybe instead you need a NEW Yamaha S910 ?

#273414 - 10/09/09 08:58 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

Love to have as the 2nd/1st, but not practical to carry 2 boards...

#273415 - 10/09/09 09:02 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
Dnj Offline

Zuki good luck what ever you choose....btw did you post any new videos on you tube with that vid cam you bought?

#273416 - 10/10/09 04:36 AM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Zuki, Sorry to hear the Bose isn't for you, but as the song lyrics read " You can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself."

Ian's suggestion using stereo in Bose has merit, before you give up on the compact.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

Although I don't see myself giving up my Pa2xPro. The new s910 is so much more than I expected, I love it and am really enjoying it. Lots of bang for the buck, more so than the s900. Great screen and the new improved Music Finder are terrific.

I've been using workaround styles with the Korg and they do work. But I have to say opening the door with 3rd party styles is a nice change.

#273417 - 10/10/09 06:20 AM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
Dnj Offline

Steve congrats, I'm glad your enjoying the S910...I know I am ...& thanx for answering my preliminary questions it is much appreciated.

#273418 - 10/10/09 07:39 AM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
"Not use the extensions"...

The extensions are part of the design.

If you did not use them, it is unfair criticism of the design. IMO.

I don't think you understand what the extensions are there for, physically.

If you don't like 'em, send 'em back.
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#273419 - 10/10/09 07:43 AM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
travlin'easy Offline

Diki,

I'm not suggesting the Bose L1 compact would work for 20 to 30 year-olds who are into head-banging rock. My son had a very successful band that performed grunge, acid rock, stuff that was loud enough to make your ears bleed. Everything sounded distorted, and if it didn't the added special effects to create distortion--even with the vocals. If that's what someone wants, they should NOT choose Bose systems.

Ironically, during my last visit to the Florida Keys and several other locations in the south, which included: Memphis, Shreveport, Bossier City, Panama City, Stuart, Palm Coast, the outer banks of North and South Carolina and Virginia Beach, I didn't encounter any hard rock bands. Not in the Tiki Bars, not in nite-clubs, definitely not in the American Legions, VFWs, Elks, Moose, Am-Vets, restaurants, private parties, etc.. The only places I can recall that featured this type of music were outdoor rock concerts, which in my area seem to be slowly, but surely fading away.

In Jim's case, at least from what he has described in the past, he's primarily performing for an older crowd, folks ranging from 50 to 90 years of age. Most of the jobs are relatively small, audiences of less than 100, and in many instances, audiences of less than 50.

I would suspect that 99.9 percent of the forum members fall into the same category. When I performed at a few Tiki Bars, both in Ocean City, Maryland and the central Florida Keys, the audience makeup ranged from 35 to 75 years of age, they like everything I played, most got up and danced, and both the audiences and club owners did not want ear-bleed volumes and today's rock. Give them some Jimmy Buffett, Jim Crocie, Frank Sinatra, Etta James, and others in the same era and they're gonna' have fun.

From my point of view, Jim (Zuki), and the vast majority of Synthzone members who perform regularly at nite-clubs, restaurants, bars, pubs, nursing homes, retirement communities, senior centers, tiki bars, marinas, veterans clubs, animal clubs and similar events, The Bose L1, L1 Model II and L1 Compact is an ideal PA system.

For those that need ear-bleed volumes and distortion, DO NOT--I REPEAT--DO NOT purchase Bose--IT'S NOT FOR YOU! I suspect these folks need something that requires a huge van with a lift-gate, fork-lift and some young, strong roadies to haul and set-up their PA system.

DISCLAIMER:
The above statements are MY opinion, and MY OPINION ONLY. Individual results may vary and not everyone can expect to achieve similar results. There is no guarantee or warranty, and unlike Bose, no refund.

Cheers,

Gary

#273420 - 10/10/09 08:26 AM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by --Mac:
"Not use the extensions"...

The extensions are part of the design.

If you did not use them, it is unfair criticism of the design. IMO.

I don't think you understand what the extensions are there for, physically.

If you don't like 'em, send 'em back.

Mac, I mentioned in my post that I DID use both extensions. So my assessment is from using the extensions and not using an extensions.

I'm sending it back. CASE CLOSED.

#273421 - 10/10/09 12:38 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
Diki Offline

Thing is, one man's ear bleed is another man's normal level!

That's what I keep trying to point out. Yes, most of us are NH OMB's and cocktail performers of one kind or another. But even so, I am sure there's still quite a volume difference between even people doing the same material.

There's also a considerable difference between those that can tell they are pushing their gear hard, and those that can't. Zuki thought it sounded 'compressed'. It may well have been... He may have had it up to the point where the limiters kick in (there's no visual indicator to say you've hit it, is there?), and they start changing the dynamics. Some of us may not realize that that is happening.

I realize that in the vast majority of cases, an L1+ system will do the job. But no amount of engineering is going to make a 150W mono PA fill a room to the level one of those will do. Even Bose themselves realize that. That's why they still MAKE the L1+!

But my real point is that, unfortunately, a thousand word may be as good as a picture, but they also are not as good as a listen! Writing about a volume level is like describing a color. Entirely subjective.

Your post kind of confirms it. There's a HELL of a lot of music out there that isn't grunge, and is played quite loudly in bars and clubs. Blues (could a Compact even keep up with a guitarist with a Fender Bluesman? I doubt it!), reggae, alternative, trance and electronica, rock, heck, I've heard bluegrass/newgrass bands louder than any 150W PA could keep up with. And NO complaints to keep it down! (that by itself pegs the age of the audience )

You wouldn't listen to it, but that doesn't stop the club from being full, and patrons and management happy. Now go and play those venues with your Compact... No, you wouldn't, would you?

That volume ceiling is impossible to quantify. Zuki hit it, and he's not what I'd call a screamer! Within it's limits, the Compact seems perfect. But those limits come a LOT sooner for some than others. Advice needs to be tempered with this knowledge, IMO...

#273422 - 10/10/09 12:50 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
Dnj Offline

It's possible the compressed sound is coming from the keyboard also & thats what is being heard....But,I say if you play an array of different size venues 25pp - 500pp is my yearly range of jobs ...then you should have an assortment of sound gear to handle all of them. I carry a small & large PA everywhere I go. When I get to the gig I first go in do a quick assessment of the room size & audience. Then go back to my Vehicle and bring out excactly as much gear as I need to perform the job admirable mixing and matching gear as needed. And also it's a good rule of thumb just in case you get in a pinch when something goes wrong..or maybe a gig where your in two rooms or an outside cocktail hour and the main event is indoors.Like the boy scouts always say.."BE PREPARED"

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-10-2009).]

#273423 - 10/10/09 01:11 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
Bill in Dayton Offline

I hope Jim finds what he's looking for PA wise.

I think its a concern though, honestly that at 6:30pm Wednesday night, he was "blown away." Roughly 48 hours later his opinion had completely changed again to deciding the Bose wasn't for him.

I don't care what PA Jim winds up with, but the back and forth tells me that maybe its not really clear in his mind what he's wanting.

Jim-Your background is corporate sales, right? What did you tell a client who seemed to be going back and forth between different products?

I will say that IMO, you want to get past this but also not make a hasty decision. Hating how you sound while you try and concentrate on playing and talking with your audiences isn't a fun place to be.

Do you have anyone near you you trust sound wise to go to a few jobs with you and give you some honest feedback? OR, perhaps play and sing a bit through the various systems so you can walk around and get a feel for how it sounds away from the keyboard?

I know the calling card of the Bose systems is that we hear what the audience hears, but its great to be able to walk away from the system while its being used and really verify the sound a distance away...

I'd suggest hang onto the Compact a couple weeks. Read the owners manual backwards/forwards, check out the Bose forums-ask some questions, call CS a hundred times if you need to. I know the way the Bose sounded for me the first couple days compared to the next several days was pretty different. My first day I liked it, but didn't feel like I had a finished sound yet. After a while, I really got it dialed in and love it.

At least at that point when/if the next PA gives you any doubts, you'll KNOW that you did everything you could to make the Bose work and that it wasn't for you.

Good luck...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#273424 - 10/10/09 01:32 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
I hope Jim finds what he's looking for PA wise.

I think its a concern though, honestly that at 6:30pm Wednesday night, he was "blown away." Roughly 48 hours later his opinion had completely changed again to deciding the Bose wasn't for him.

Well he DID say that on the second night, he was playing a LOT louder...

I rest my case.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
Jim-Your background is corporate sales, right? What did you tell a client who seemed to be going back and forth between different products?

If he had widely varying needs, wouldn't you tell him to take his time and find what best suits ALL of them? This ain't like he's waffling at the same gig, you know...

#273425 - 10/10/09 01:35 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
zuki Offline

I followed Cass' and Donnie's advice this afternoon and set it up (with ext) 3' behind and 8' to my left side. I walked the room with a style playing. It really sounded balanced throughout the room.

I played my hour gig and really liked the sound, as did the audience. There was absolutely no feedback and my voice was crystal clear.

The job was small. I had the Bose at 12:00 and my keys 1/2 way at most. Plenty of volume and one complaint.

Here's my deal: I can imagine (2) units would be extremely nice for every venue I play and the quality would be excellent.

I just cannot get used to ONE unit, mono. There are some changes in my songs, based on instruments, pads, etc that don't come through, as in the stereo setup.

So here's the final decision (yes, it is). Keep the Bose for the allowance period and hopefully get the BA-300 (on order) in to see how this one box stereo unit does.

If the 300 satisfies me, the Bose goes back. If not, the 300 goes back, Bose stays and I go Bosi.

Thanks all for your kind responses.

#273426 - 10/10/09 01:45 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
If he had widely varying needs, wouldn't you tell him to take his time and find what best suits ALL of them? This ain't like he's waffling at the same gig, you know...

I asked on this forum a while back if I could run my band through the compact and I was told it would likely work.

So, in my mind bumping up the volume wouldn't result in massive whole change differences.

And for the most part, Jim plays in Retirement Communities & Nursing Homes. There's not THAT much of a physical difference from the biggest (a small auditorium) to the smallest (think of a parlor type) setting.

Using the L1 with a tone engine, I usually run my T2 at 2:00 and my channel volumes at 11:00. The tone engine gains/trims are at 11:00, the master gain is at 9-10...

I think you're doing the right thing, Jim...within a few weeks, you'll know the Compact even better than you do now and be that much more assured with the direction you go...whatever that turns out to be...

Have fun!

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 10-10-2009).]

#273427 - 10/10/09 01:50 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
Bill in Dayton Offline

Double post-

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 10-10-2009).]

#273428 - 10/10/09 01:58 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
travlin'easy Offline

Good luck, Jim, on whatever you decide upon.

As for the ear-bleed level, somewhere in my collection of stuff I have an old, battery-powered, DB meter. I haven't used it in 15 years, but if it still works I'll measure the DB level I perform at when playing nite-clubs, and do the same at some of the larger dances. I'll post the results.

Diki, if you can find a DB meter in your area, I would really like to see the results from the locations you are talking about as well. This would provide the forum with a definitive, measurable answer.

I suspect there is not a lot of difference in the club levels, but I could be wrong. Should be interesting.

Cheers,

Gary

#273429 - 10/10/09 01:58 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
zuki Offline

Thanks Bill. I know the Bosi would work, one on each side. I might even cancel the 300 and just go for it. Then I can let the bashing begin

#273430 - 10/10/09 02:22 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Good luck, Jim, on whatever you decide upon.

As for the ear-bleed level, somewhere in my collection of stuff I have an old, battery-powered, DB meter. I haven't used it in 15 years, but if it still works I'll measure the DB level I perform at when playing nite-clubs, and do the same at some of the larger dances. I'll post the results.

Diki, if you can find a DB meter in your area, I would really like to see the results from the locations you are talking about as well. This would provide the forum with a definitive, measurable answer.

I suspect there is not a lot of difference in the club levels, but I could be wrong. Should be interesting.

Cheers,

Gary

Great idea Gary....I look forward to the interesting test results from the both of you.

#273431 - 10/10/09 08:21 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
tony mads usa Offline

I can only say that when I was on DonM's stage the BOSE was right behind me and there was no feedback whatsoever ...

t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 10-12-2009).]

#273432 - 10/10/09 09:02 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
I can only say that when I was on BonM's stage the BOSE was right behind me and there was no feedback whatsoever ...

t.

Who's BonM???

#273433 - 10/10/09 09:08 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
Dnj Offline

Tony unlike Don or myself.. it could be Zuki's headphone mic....

#273434 - 10/10/09 10:02 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
You know, you're right. I'll sort this thing out myself. Thanks for your caring inspiration.

You're right, my bad. You made your first post and then reversed it. I had imbibed a few drinks and I would have never posted that without a few in me, it makes me more combative online. I haven't reread all of your posts to get a feel for what you write but I suppose anyone can reverse their opinion and that should be fine, so, I apologize.

#273435 - 10/11/09 12:19 AM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Zuki, I just wondered if you ahve thought od something like the H + K systems? H+K Powerworks 1 for example? http://www.hkaudio.com/powerworks/en/produkte.html

Scroll down the page a bit to the Sound House 1....Just a thought.

#273436 - 10/11/09 07:07 AM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
zuki Offline

Quote:
You're right, my bad. You made your first post and then reversed it. I had imbibed a few drinks and I would have never posted that without a few in me, it makes me more combative online. I haven't reread all of your posts to get a feel for what you write but I suppose anyone can reverse their opinion and that should be fine, so, I apologize.

Apology accepted, but not necessary. I do the same thing, as most of us do. I'm worse on voice mail, good thing we don't have that here Anyway, thanks for this reply.

#273437 - 10/11/09 07:13 AM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Zuki, I just wondered if you ahve thought od something like the H + K systems? H+K Powerworks 1 for example? http://www.hkaudio.com/powerworks/en/produkte.html

Scroll down the page a bit to the Sound House 1....Just a thought.

Thanks Dennis. I have the same thing with the Podium 8s I still possess. The HK looks interesting though. However, I'm striving to keep it simple, no poles, few pieces, etc.

Like posted above, I'm going to try that Roland BA-300 and take it from there. Either that, or eventually (2) Bose Compacts.

#273438 - 10/11/09 08:00 AM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
Diki Offline

Zuki, if the 130W Compact doesn't have enough poke, no battery powered system is going to better it... I think you are putting WAY too much faith in the little Roland.

JMO

#273439 - 10/12/09 01:30 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
Who's BonM???

... he's the result of my fat fingers ..
t.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online