SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#273394 - 10/09/09 01:37 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
zuki Offline

Bose Compact is great for small. Didn't paticulary like it this afternoon on a big job. Jury is still out. I have 45 days.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#273395 - 10/09/09 01:47 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Did you have both extensions on ?

#273396 - 10/09/09 01:48 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Bose Compact is great for small. Didn't paticulary like it this afternoon on a big job. Jury is still out. I have 45 days.

zuki ... How big was the job, and what were the problems?
thnx,
t.

#273397 - 10/09/09 02:07 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I've got my Compact dialed in at 1 o'clock and it's perfect. The s900 is at 10-11 o'clock most of time. Where did yhou play that you couldn't fill up the swpace? Did you have everything dialed in correctly, or were you up against a wall with no space between you and the Bose? Please explain.

#273398 - 10/09/09 02:12 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The extensions do not add to the sound. They don't contain speakers. I generally use one extension on each side. That puts the top speaker at my ear level and since I'm on a bandstand it is slightly above the diners as they are seated, and about ear level for dancers.
DonM

#273399 - 10/09/09 02:46 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Zuki points out something we rarely talk about here... sound quality versus volume. Every piece of gear has an optimal area. And the differences in volume (and clientèle and location) are often drastic between us. To the point that no recommendation can ever be a sure bet until you have seen and heard the gear at the volumes and locations that you tend to play at. Or, to be more accurate, at the LOUDEST volume and location you are ever likely to play at!

This is where the rubber meets the road..! If your gear can't handle your loudest jobs, what do you do? Hire another PA? Buy another PA? Or buy what handles the loudest, and use it 100% of the time, even if it is a bit heavier (or a LOT heavier )?

That's the decision we all have to make (except the home players!).

Me, I tend to gear up for the loudest. At least, with that, if I get real band gigs, my gear can handle it. If I geared up for OMB NH and cocktail levels, I could never put a band through it (or cover a large noisy club), and would have to buy a SECOND PA. Waste of money, IMO. If all I did was NH OMB, I'd probably be right there with a stereo Compact rig. But until then, I've got to account for the high end of the volume needs first...

#273400 - 10/09/09 02:54 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Zuki,

As Tony asked "How big was the job?" I've performed outdoors, using a single L1 Compact, with audiences to 250, and experienced no problems at all. I wasn't playing head-banging rock, but Kansas City, Proud Mary, Leroy Brown, and many similar songs were met with rounds of applause and lots of folks dancing.

My settings are a bit different than Cass', with the keyboard's master volume at 1 o'clock and the Bose at 11 o'clock. Works for me.

As Don stated, there are no speakers in the two tower extensions, but I believe that using both tends to improve the mid range sounds. I don't know exactly why, but this is the way it sounds to me. Maybe it has something to do with the way the top section resonates through the two, hollow extensions. I just don't know, but it sure sounds better to me when I use both. I read somewhere on the Bose forum several months ago where it was recommended using both extensions, or none at all when the L1 is placed on an elevated platform.

Also, you may have to set your keyboard's EQs a bit different for the larger jobs. I have done this and saved those settings into memory so they can be recalled the next time I perform there. Most of the time, however, they tend to remain the same for nearly all jobs, regardless of size.

Hope this helps,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#273401 - 10/09/09 03:18 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The same volume that would get a crowd of 50+ year old country clubbers dancing and clapping wouldn't even get a yawn out of some 20 something clubbers. Even if you WERE playing Kansas City, Proud Mary, Leroy Brown etc. (which basically pegs your audience right there).

I know you love your Bose, Gary (and I don't disagree with you, I think for the purpose they are designed for, they are brilliant!) but is it at ALL possible for you to envision a situation where they WOULDN'T do the job? Where do most of the 20-35 year olds party in your town? And do you honestly think a single Compact could even approach that SPL and stay clean?

Entertaining the elderly, and rocking the young take very different approaches and equipment. A blanket recommendation only covers those with the same bed size!

#273402 - 10/09/09 05:43 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
Would you select a hammer when the job called for a screwdriver? Or a spanner?

I don't think the Compact was designed with pressure-cooker rock club in mind at all.

However, for my jazz gigs, the compliments from everyone, staff, waiters, bartenders, club managers and owners, and, of course the audience, tell me that I'm on to something big here.

And then there are the jazz singers.

Every one of 'em is taken with the pair of Compacts driven by my Mackie mixer. Even when I only took the little Behringer mixer, same results.

I still have the large PA, in case, but I'm no longer doing the pressure-cooker gigs and for the jazz gigs, it was simply way too much, what with the 4-14s and the two horns from those Mackie powered speakers. They focused way out in front somewhere, even at low volume levels. The Bose Compacts simply are more intimate in the more intimate jazz club scenario.

And I'm loving not having to diddle with a separate monitor system, which never sounds like the front anyway. What I hear is what they hear. Oh happy day.

--Mac
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#273403 - 10/09/09 07:13 PM Re: Bose Compact review LIVE
zuki Offline

Back from the jobs today. A mixed bag of small and large and posh.

First, let me say that I am not looking to be catered to. I respect everyone's opinions and acceptance of what they like.

I just don't think it's for me. It was great on the small stuff, to put behind me and not use the extensions. That said, I do admit it does not have the wonderful separation that I use so much on very elegant songs. That, in itself, is very bothersome (to me).

I used both extensions on a larger venue (125 appx) this afternoon. I cranked the volume to 12 o'clock on the Bose and 1/2 way or so on the 800. I put the unit directly behind me (5'8", so it was above my head). I do this because I simply cannot take the unit on one side or the other - I go ear deaf after the gig. It had plenty of volume, but was very annoying and loud to me, although the crowd seemed to love it. Maybe it's me, but it seems the instruments sound compressed.

The last job was a posh club I play monthly. This time medium volume. Again, same as previous setup, which is not good. The feedback is also a constant, when I move from the keys. The crowd loved it.

I do not like the Bose mono. Maybe stereo would be better. It makes perfect sense to do so, since I can lug in just one piece on most days and have my glory on bigger stuff.

End result, it's not for me. I'd rather have the stereo separation on the floor, or check out the Roland stereo unit in November. Hell, you buy 2 for one on this unit.

It doesn't really come down to price. I can afford the Bose and Bosi, but I am not totally blown away like I thought I'd be, so why pay this premium?

Thanks for listening.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online