SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#267697 - 07/17/09 04:25 PM PSR 3K vs G-70, is there any comparison?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
A month ago I played my first solo job at a nursing home and used my mighty G-70 for the one hour gig. Afterward, I quickly sought out a second board that would still do the job, but be smaller and lighter - the 3K. Today I did a reprise at the NH and used the 3K. Now I have a dilema.

There is no doubt the G-70 is a far superior board in almost every category, but the 3K has some surprising characteristics that may keep it n my NH arsenal for quite some time. The G has a fantastic keyboard and feel, and I love the piano, strings and organ sounds to no end. The mic/harmonizer section is fantastic. But I have yet to really attack and master the intracasies of the OS, especially registrations and this is holding me back.

The 3K has a much smaller keyboard, and I just don't mean the 61 keys. The keys are thinner and shorter and definitely have that plastic feel. That said, it's size and weight make it a lot easier to trasport - a lot. The OS is easier to approach and I like the fact that I can save songs and styles in separate, multiple folders. The mic section didn't work for me; I'll have to check that out, so I used my M-Harmony - nice touch.

Roland has better styles for me, but I am surprisingly liking the Yamaha brass. The 3K piano still sounds thin to my ears, but I can now accept the organ flutes (drawbars) where in my previous 3K ownership I didn't care for them. I still long to sit behind the BIG board, but it is much easier to prepare onself to play a Yamaha than a Roland, IMHO.

So now what do I do? I was thinking I might put the G-70 up for sale, but now I'm backing off. While the weather is still nice I am going to try using the G-70 at least a couple times more. If I can handle the G, it wins. At the same time, I will continue to hone my Yammy skills; I need to learn how to do registrations there too. Meahwhile I'm preparing a new demo to distribute to local retirement and nursing homes. I think that with time and experience, this OMB thing will be as easy and fun as playing with my trio was. Both boards could be platooned, if need be - we"ll see...

#267698 - 07/17/09 05:33 PM Re: PSR 3K vs G-70, is there any comparison?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Cassp,

Considering you are comparing an essentially TOTL arranger, to a mid line instrument, the comparison will be a tough one.

What you have to ask yourself, is will the intended audience know and appreciate the difference?

Using a smaller and perhaps even more easy to use instrument will surely make your life easier...I remember just moving the 62 lb Yamaha CP-300 from room to room in my house not being a pleasant task, let alone moving it from home to studio.

Sure, the piano/organ on the G70 sounds better...and well it should...the G70 was the top of the Roland line...the 3K is not in the same league, but is it really that so far away that it isn't a viable musical instrument in it's own right?

I use an S900 instead of a Tyros3, simply because I like playing it more...the piano isn't as robust, but it is still a very good piano sound, and sometimes a sound that is a teensy bit thinner, seems to fit in the arranger's mix better...for solo piano/organ it wouldn't stand up to much scrutiny, but still...it does sound like a "piano" and it does sound like an "organ" to your intended listener.

I use a laptop (a good one) instead of a PC, because I find it handier...and it doesn't hog any space, and I can move it from room to room, or pack it up and take it to the studio, or on the road with me...I don't have a desktop PC at all, nor do I want or need one.

The S900 is my "laptop"...I formerly had a PSR-3000...same deal...I liked it better than the Tyros1...I like having the speakers that make it an instant setup for practice, or taking to my hotel room, and not needing headphones.

Don't sell the G70...it will be a great board to do other projects with...and, you like it a lot, so you'd be sorry you sold it.

Good luck with the G70 for gigs..I really hope it works for you...I know I'm happy with gigging with the much lighter and compact instrument, and my audience is very happy with my sound...and so am I...and I am especially happy at the end of the gig with a lot less work ahead of me regarding packing and moving.

#267699 - 07/17/09 06:27 PM Re: PSR 3K vs G-70, is there any comparison?
cassp Offline

Ian - please don't misunderstand me to think the 3K and G-70 should be equals. I'm not THAT stupid - well, kinda. The biggest and probably only reason not to use the G is the weight - keyboard + case = HEAVY.

The 3K is good enough and certainly the audience is not feeling cheated in any way. You know how it is when you really like something but must compromise on using it for one reason or another. Even Fran is resting his G70 in favor of other lighter options. I like apples and oranges, so I'll probably keep them both for now or until I hit the Mega Millions jackpot someday. Thanks for the advice.

#267700 - 07/17/09 07:14 PM Re: PSR 3K vs G-70, is there any comparison?
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
cassp,

I started out with a PSR3000 and just loved it. Since then I have owned a Korg PA1X and my new Tyros 3. I still enjoy using my PSR300 on gigs - it is very easy to setup and transport. My main complaint about gigging with the Tyros 3 is weight. Lately I have been doing triples and to lug it around to three gigs a day is a real chore.

I can tell you from experience with the PSR3000 that it might very well be the best arranger yamaha has ever built. It has yet to let me down and styles are easily converted or tweaked if needed. It won't sound like a Tyros keyboard - but it has plenty of great styles built into it and a ton of them available for free.

Good luck with the 3K.

Hammer

#267701 - 07/17/09 08:37 PM Re: PSR 3K vs G-70, is there any comparison?
zuki Offline

Sell the G70 and get a PA800. The whole board is unbelievable and the audience absolutely loves the sound. I get many compliments on its sound. The harmonizer is fantastic, it smokes the 3K keybed and has more features than the G70. A truly live players dream Styles? - everything you can ever want and more and they're all fantastic. Cass, you like the G70 REAL sound - the 800 is equal (imo).

[This message has been edited by zuki (edited 07-17-2009).]

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#267702 - 07/17/09 10:21 PM Re: PSR 3K vs G-70, is there any comparison?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The G70 has no equal...

Cass..do you want a E-50...I don't mind carrying the G70...in fact I prefer it...Email me if you want the E-50...but I don't need or want a PSR3000...

I just bought a Juno Stage for use with the band..and I will always use the G70 for my solo work..I just want 76 keys...61 is not for me...

#267703 - 07/18/09 04:15 AM Re: PSR 3K vs G-70, is there any comparison?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

Cass..do you want a E-50...I don't mind carrying the G70...in fact I prefer it...Email me if you want the E-50...

I don't usually agree with you, Fran, but you do make a good point.

The E-50 would certainly be a great partner to the G70, especially if you can swap styles between the two.

Again, an E-60 would be even better...still 76 keys, and much lighter than the G70 by far....but Cassp already had one of those, if I'm not mistaken...wonder why he didn't keep it?

If he did go for the E-50/60 , Cassp would also have to give up those terrific Yamaha Mega Voice styles, and be reduced to 64 note poly, as opposed to 128, but perhaps, he wouldn't mind?

#267704 - 07/18/09 06:51 AM Re: PSR 3K vs G-70, is there any comparison?
cassp Offline

Let me try to address all the comments so far. In summary, I have owned a Korg iX300, Yamaha PSR2000, Roland G70, PSR3000, E60, another G70 and another 3K... plus others.

Ian - knowing what Iknow now, keeping the e60 would have been nice, but I sold it to buy the G70. It's that darn money thing again...

Hammer - this is round two with the 3K, so I knew what I was buying when I decided to buy into it again. It is a great keyboard; sounds very good, but has its personal disappointments, especially the keybed.

Fran - a month ago I might have taken the bait, but Uncle Dave's deal was too hard to pass up. I am quite pleased with it as a 'portable' for those shorter, smaller jobs. We'll see.

Zuki - this is the only option I have yet to investigate. I did seriously consider a PA500 with the new rebate and such. What kept me from going that route was the simple matter that there are no PA dealers in my area and I didn't want to buy sight unseen.

So this is what I am thinking: give the G70 another try, especially during this warmer weather. As my business picks up, which I hope happens soon, I'll then have to decide the need for this lighter keyboard. Right now, once a week may not be too much to ask of these old bones, but in & out of the house more than that may be worth a call to the bullpen.

#267705 - 07/18/09 07:02 AM Re: PSR 3K vs G-70, is there any comparison?
zuki Offline

Cass,

NO! Not the PA500 - you sing well - the 800 will float your boat (they are light years apart).

Look, they're all great boards and the audience doesn't give a crap. It comes down to your command of the keyboard, playing and singing skills and what YOU think sounds the best.

You've not tried the PA. It might be your ticket, might not - never know. I can tell you its a sleeper, full of amazingly musical character.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#267706 - 07/18/09 07:28 AM Re: PSR 3K vs G-70, is there any comparison?
cassp Offline

Zuki - I'm truly interested, but economics are not on my side at the moment. Keyboards are purchased thru my playing account. Since I haven't played out in almost two years, the account is pretty shallow.

I have followed you thru various boards and I know that you are very pleased with the 800. StephenM had a 800 and now plays a PA2xPro; he loves that. And, yes the PA800 could be a great fit for me. With the exception of my iX300, which I liked very much, I haven't seen or heard a Korg arranger since. I hope I can check one out on a vacation or trip somewhere, but no one near Detroit carries them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online