SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#267607 - 07/15/09 06:44 AM How many SIT? STAND? Why...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Ever since I went to drum machines and arrangers I have stood for the entire job, thinking it was better stage presence. Now that I'm embarking on this OMB endeavor I'm trying to decide whether to continue standing because it's mostly a performance - or to go back to sitting because it's more comfortable, especially with reading lyrics and music more often.

Also, I'm presently using an X-stand, but also have an Apex. I'd like to hear about your keyboard stand too - and how do you handle music.

#267608 - 07/15/09 07:01 AM Re: How many SIT? STAND? Why...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I always sit during my own personal gigs, but generally, I stand during demos...clinics can be either or.

If I was doing vocals, I'd probably stand, because it's easier to sing.

I have a bench and stand that puts the keyboard at exactly the right height when sitting, so there's no wrist issues,(my gigs are usually 3 hours) and I have a heavy duty double X-stand that I use when standing, that also maintains the proper hand position.

I prefer sitting, as I am naturally lazy.

Ian

#267609 - 07/15/09 07:27 AM Re: How many SIT? STAND? Why...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I prefer to stand, and I also use the Apex stands...I like the mobility..standing gives me..

If you notice ..most ex accordion players prefer to stand on stage...most piano players want to sit...Then there are the old ..out of shape players like John Dileo that want to sit..

Besides..if I sit on a bench seat..I get tired of all the girls that want to sit next to me and chat...when I am trying to work... ..

#267610 - 07/15/09 08:05 AM Re: How many SIT? STAND? Why...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I think standing is better visually for the audience, and looks more like a "show".
I sit because it's easier to work the pedals and easier on the back. I've carried around a drafting chair with wheels and good back support for many years. In fact I can't believe it has held up so well. I often use it as a dolly even.
I have one foot on the harmonizer on/off, one foot on sustain pedal, and the other ready to hit fills and breaks. Nothing left to stand on.
DonM

#267611 - 07/15/09 08:23 AM Re: How many SIT? STAND? Why...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I think standing is better visually for the audience, and looks more like a "show".
I sit because it's easier to work the pedals and easier on the back. I've carried around a drafting chair with wheels and good back support for many years. In fact I can't believe it has held up so well. I often use it as a dolly even.
I have one foot on the harmonizer on/off, one foot on sustain pedal, and the other ready to hit fills and breaks. Nothing left to stand on.
DonM

Hey Don..who's counting....but that is three feet..

#267612 - 07/15/09 08:26 AM Re: How many SIT? STAND? Why...
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Sit for instrumental dinner music.
Stand for shows and dancing.
Eddie

#267613 - 07/15/09 08:27 AM Re: How many SIT? STAND? Why...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Hey Don..who's counting....but that is three feet..

And you thought you were popular with the ladies...

#267614 - 07/15/09 08:47 AM Re: How many SIT? STAND? Why...
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
And you thought you were popular with the ladies...

It's the MIDDLE LEG that's ready to hit fills and breaks - that's why he's more popular than Fran

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#267615 - 07/15/09 09:26 AM Re: How many SIT? STAND? Why...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have to sit, it's too embarrassing to stand up!
BTW, with pb wheels and mod wheels, or joystick, sustain, volume fills, breaks, harmonizer and chords and leads to play, I can't understand how anyone could possibly do all this under the influence of alcohol, but a lot of people try.
DonM

#267616 - 07/15/09 11:00 AM Re: How many SIT? STAND? Why...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I used to stand 100%, but now I tend to sit, simply to be able to work the FC-7, sustains and volume pedal. I still stand for a lot of live band gigs (no need for the FC-7, which primarily does Variation selection etc.) but even there I am afraid I am starting to get a little lazy...

Standing for three hours or so in the Florida heat, even under shade, can wear you out... My problem is that I hate to haul anything more around, especially a bulky piano bench, but most chairs are too low, and most barstools are too high, I can rarely find something at the gig that is JUST right (don't call me Goldilocks ).

I've been trying to track down a ROUND folding seat with little luck lately... I saw one that was a simple folding piano or guitar stool that looked a bit like a slightly shorter barstool, and folded flat. Can anyone help me?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online