SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 17 of 32 < 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 31 32 >
Topic Options
#264587 - 06/16/09 07:40 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Here's goes with my rendition(s) of "The Nearness of You"

The first is played on the Clavinova CVP 307. I start with about a 17 bar intro of an Oscar Peterson Piano Solo Transcription then segue into the tune using Modern Jazz Ballad Style. I don't have any business posting the Peterson transcription,( but I'm doing it anyway) it's been many years since I learned it and piano chops ain't what they use to be. Forgive me Mr. Peterson. http://www.4shared.com/file/112342802/a1ab8995/Nearness_PianoSolo_and_Arranger.html

Ian had a bit of inspiration when it came to the 2nd rendition. I'm using the Pa2xPro and a style I purchased from a Korg site that was created for playing Besame Mucho. http://www.4shared.com/file/112342767/8cc79da1/Nearness_of_You__SM_KORGPa2xPro.html

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 06-16-2009).]

#264588 - 06/16/09 07:47 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Stephen-The audio file asks for a password to listen to.

What do we use?

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#264589 - 06/16/09 07:54 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
Stephen-The audio file asks for a password to listen to.

What do we use?

Bill I'll re-link the files so no password is needed.

#264590 - 06/16/09 08:18 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Stephen-

1st version: I loved your piano work as well as the style of the tune. You've joined me and Cass in the Lounge! The piano sounded awesome! Can you talk about from 2:37 or so and on as I had a little trouble following meter. Were you playing with the time there or what?

2nd version: It was also very nice, but IMO, not as interesting as the first version...

Which one do you prefer and why, Steve?

I really enjoyed your piano work alot...Good feeling and technical skills...

Really glad you posted your work...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 06-16-2009).]

#264591 - 06/16/09 08:31 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
Stephen-

1st version: I loved your piano work as well as the style of the tune. You've joined me and Cass in the Lounge! The piano sounded awesome! Can you talk about from 2:37 or so and on as I had a little trouble following meter. Were you playing with the time there or what?

2nd version: It was also very nice, but IMO, not as interesting as the first version...

Which one do you prefer and why, Steve?

I really enjoyed your piano work alot...Good feeling and technical skills...

Really glad you posted your work...

Thanks Bill.

Bill bit of user error in the section after 2:37.

Despite liking the Korg Style better imho it's not as appropriate as the Yamaha Modern Jazz Ballad for that tune. I prefer the first for several reasons, piano is really my instrument and playing a graded 88 key action can't be beat for my taste. Personally I just can't play as expressively using an arranger as I can on the Clav or an acoustic piano.

#264592 - 06/16/09 09:26 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Stephen -
1. Thank you posting those two versions of The Nearness of You. They were both very well performed and pleasing to the ear.
2. Since you posted two simultaneously, it begs for choice or comparison. I like #2, the Korg version better.
3. The Clavinova version seems a little too slow for me, but it is clear you love to play that stand-alone. Great job.
4. The Korg version gives the listener a chance to hear the voices of your aranger - which I think is a big plus. I like the left hand sounds, but thought the clave' was a little prominent in the sparse rhythm. Otherwise, this too is an excellent rendition of our first classic song.

Thanks so much for taking the time to record both versions. Just FYI, I can't help but sing the words even as I listen to others play. Your phrasing made it easy for me to do that.

Two thumbs up!

#264593 - 06/17/09 12:20 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
What an utter lack of spine...

If you have the cojones to post it, have the cojones to leave it up for others to understand the response.

And, I'm sorry, John, but if you felt Donny's remarks WERE appropriate (obviously, even HE doesn't see it that way now), I have about as much time for you as you have for me.

#264594 - 06/17/09 05:55 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
John DiLeo Offline

Steven I really enjoyed your songs.
Very well done with much feeling it was a pleasure to listen. Thank you for posting.

What I didn't enjoy was the way this Diki character continually feels the need to ruin this threads atmosphere & purpose for everyone..

#264595 - 06/17/09 07:48 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
Here's goes with my rendition(s) of "The Nearness of You"

Great job on both, Steve, and I really liked the intro to the CVP version....excellent piano playing.

I've made a Jazz Ballad style, on the S900, for a lot of the old standard ballads...did my own intros and endings, and stole parts from styles, I don't even remember, to make the Variations...here's the link to it and, of course for any others who have S900 or Tyros2/3 or CVP.

It is an orchestral type ballad.

http://www.4shared.com/file/112432704/ecb18735/LateNightJazz_IMN.html

Tyros2/3 owners should change the OTS to the respective sounds on their instrument, and I'm not sure if all the S900 OTS will work on your CVP, but you can them...hope you find it handy.

Again, nice work and thanks for sharing...the PA2XPro sounds great.

#264596 - 06/17/09 08:07 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Diki...
What an utter lack of respect for Cass and the purpose of this thread. Donny left. Take it outside.

Steve...
Both of your submissions are interesting and show your versatility. I, too, prefer the Korg version probably because the loose jazz feel of the other is not as structured as the kind of jazz feel I would put to it.

I am interested in how you recorded the Korg piece. On this end, it sounded a bit over-compressed....which is a problem I have had with some things I have recorded on a Zoom and using Gold Wave.

Steve...thanks for putting in your two submissions and adding such variety to those already here.

Eddie

Page 17 of 32 < 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 31 32 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online