ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM

Posted by: cassp

ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/26/09 05:08 AM

Announcing the June 2009 SZ eJam. This is not a contest but an expo of the various playing and presentation styles of our SynthZone members. We want to hear YOU. Participants are asked to record an mp3 or video version of one, two or all of the following songs:

Black Horse and a Cherry Tree – KT Tunsall
Here We Go Again - Red Steagall & Don Lanier
The Nearness of You - Hoagy Carmichael & Ned Washington

The rules are very simple:

1. Record the song; post it on an available internet site; post to this thread or start one of your own (please use eJam as part of the title) and include a link to the hosting site.

2. The recording should include the use of some sort of arranger function(s), whatever that may be for you.

3. In your post please give us pertinent information, such as: keyboard/guitar make, styles/tempo used, patches used, recording info, etc…

You can play it instrumentally or with added vocals, using your choice of instrument(s). Play it fancy or plain, straight or creative – you choose. Record it in one take with an antique tape recorder or in multi takes and tracks on Pro Tools – you choose.

You may showcase any or all of the songs. Good luck. We’re looking forward to listening to YOUR rendition of the song(s).

Cass Pawlowski
cassp50@gmail.com

http://www.cassponline.com

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 05-26-2009).]
Posted by: Bill in Dayton

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/26/09 06:00 AM

I'm in...

I'll be doing at least one, possibly two songs. "Here We Go Again" and "The Nearness Of You" strike my fancy. I don't know either of them, so I'm starting from scratch with each...

I'm off this weekend, so hopefully my honeydew list will allow me some time...

------------------
Bill in Dayton
Posted by: Songman55

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/26/09 08:13 AM

Hi Cass,

I'm in. I'll definitely do The Nearness of You and if I have time also Here We Go Again. I have a couple of really big weddings I'm preparing for in June.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/26/09 04:36 PM

I'm in, of course. I'll be starting with "Here we Go Again." "Black Horse" is calling me too, just for kicks. Who's next?

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/28/09 05:39 AM

Where's Diki?
Posted by: Diki

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/28/09 12:54 PM

Thought I was supposed to 'shut up'?!

I am a little disappointed that we couldn't all agree on the ONE tune, that would have made for a far more interesting comparison, but unless work overwhelms me, you'll hear mine when it's done. Not sure which one I want to do, yet. MORE work for me!

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 08:13 AM

For who?...

Why should I? I'm just trying to keep this post visible until the few brave ones post their songs. As always, you're invited.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Don't hold your breath cass.

That was worded just vaguely enough to give you some level of deniability. Why don't you just put the same effort that you put into tweaking you know who and record one of the tunes?

"Nearness" is right up your alley and I suspect you'd do a fine job with it.

Seriously...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 05-29-2009).]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 08:54 AM

There HAS to be more folks out there who could record one of these tunes and post it. So many people with talent and an appreciation of music.

Donny says this is a good idea in theory but it'll turn hyper critical and morph into a pissing contest, but a LOT of that has to do with being open to others observations. In the past we've had some people who got a little too personal with their comments and they were out of line. We've has some people react so defensively...way over the top stuff, they were wrong too.

I'd suggest look no further than Chico recent post of the One Note Samba. Anyone get slammed? No. Anyone crapping their pants because a listener offered up a mildly critical observation? No...

I'll have something up (hopefully) over the weekend. I suspect some will like it, and some may not. And I'm fine with that.

This takes about a 10th grade level of maturity to pull off.

Please, if you're able...take some time, pick your favorite and work up something. 99% of the members here are genuinely great people and don't take cheap shots.

Don't be dissuaded by anyone who's painting the SZ with far too broad a brush.

------------------
Bill in Dayton
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 09:10 AM

Quote:
Nearness of you

Playing on top of a SMF w/Strings/Piano & Vocals......

Recorded via my PC.. Yamaha S900/Mixcraft 4

Great job, Donny...absolutely super vocals...geez, I wish I could sing that good.

Ian
Posted by: zuki

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 09:33 AM

Good one Donny. The best vocal I've heard from you

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 09:41 AM

Quote:
Nearness of you
http://www.donnypesce.com/Nearness%20mp3.mp3

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-29-2009).]

YES!!!

That's what I'm talking about...

A totally expected strong vocal. Nice delivery, good tempo for that style, fits you like a glove.

That one showed off your voice and vocal interpretation skills, which are really nice.

I'd like to hear more of your kb playing in a future post...which are also reported to be quite good...

Nice job, Donny...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 05-29-2009).]
Posted by: Dnj

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 09:46 AM

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-28-2009).]
Posted by: ChicoBrasil

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 09:48 AM

Hi Donny

As Bill in Dayton said, that's the way.
Very good vocal and instrumental from our plastic toy.
Very well done.
Abraço
Chico

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 10:13 AM

Donny, thanks for being the first to post to the eJam. Now that wasn't difficult, was it. I can't speak for the others here, but I love hearing you sing, and I just want to hear everyone else's interpretations of the songs. It seems that "Nearness" will be the most popular of the choices, and that's good because it will give all of us a chance to get to know our fellow SZers better - thru their music. No critiques (especially criticisms) are even necessary, just enjoy.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 10:18 AM

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-16-2009).]
Posted by: trident

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 11:27 AM

Really pro quality vocals, Donny. My respect.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 11:51 AM

The Nearness of You

I saw your announcement on the General Arraner Keyboard Forum and thought I would arrange "The nearness of you" At 76yr of age, most of this technology goes right
over my head. I did the song on the Yamaha psr-900, recorded it on a usb stick, put on the coputer, managed to change it to an
mp3, and sent it to Cass. - Fred Wren

I hope you enjoy - Cass

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 12:03 PM

I saw your announcement on the General Arraner Keyboard Forum and thought I would arrange "The nearness of you" At 76yr of age, most of this technology goes right
over my head. I did the song on the Yamaha psr-900, recorded it on a usb stick, put on the coputer, managed to change it to an

Nice one, Fred...I like to play it as a Latin as well (I use Bossa Nova), but I really like the way you used the Beguine style.

Nice job.
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 12:09 PM

Donny, Your usual outstanding work. I have a couple of your CDs and I gotta say this is definitely one of the best you've done. Of course I still love Quando, Quando, Quando that you sing with Mandy. Great work, thanks for sharing that.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 12:12 PM

Fred, nice approach using the latin style.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 01:31 PM

......;

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 02:03 PM

Quote:
Nearness of you
http://www.donnypesce.com/Nearness%20mp3.mp3

One simple question... Is the SMF created by the S900, or was it something you did track by track?

Because, as I read it, all submissions are supposed to be original works, at least in the sense of being arranger derived by oneself, not playing on top of commercial (or third party) SMF's....

Now, don't get me wrong, I am NOT accusing anyone of anything. But I DID want to clear this up. It was stated that the ENTIRE track be your own work, whether a recording of your arranger's output, or a track by track creation. But that NONE of it be third party whatsoever. Or we end up with a karaoke competition, which I think is NOT what was intended...

Don't get mad, Donny. I repeat, I am NOT accusing you of anything. But it would help to be transparent if you could say (and anyone else using SMF's) how the SMF was made...

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 02:27 PM

Very pleasant, Fred...

Nice...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 02:42 PM

Diki - that idea goes back to the first post and was proposed by you, I think. In the three rules I listed I did not make a statement like that. As one who also uses 3rd party SMFs, I didn't want to eliminate anyone from the jam. I've heard many people do the same file and have it sound completely different. Let it go. If you choose to start the next jam, you can set the rules. Play ball!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
[b]Announcing the June 2009 SZ eJam. This is not a contest but an expo of the various playing and presentation styles of our SynthZone members. We want to hear YOU. Participants are asked to record an mp3 or video version of one, two or all of the following songs:

Black Horse and a Cherry Tree – KT Tunsall
Here We Go Again - Red Steagall & Don Lanier
The Nearness of You - Hoagy Carmichael & Ned Washington

The rules are very simple:

1. Record the song; post it on an available internet site; post to this thread or start one of your own (please use eJam as part of the title) and include a link to the hosting site.

2. The recording should include the use of some sort of arranger function(s), whatever that may be for you.

3. In your post please give us pertinent information, such as: keyboard/guitar make, styles/tempo used, patches used, recording info, etc…

You can play it instrumentally or with added vocals, using your choice of instrument(s). Play it fancy or plain, straight or creative – you choose. Record it in one take with an antique tape recorder or in multi takes and tracks on Pro Tools – you choose.

You may showcase any or all of the songs. Good luck. We’re looking forward to listening to YOUR rendition of the song(s).

Cass Pawlowski
cassp50@gmail.com

http://www.cassponline.com

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 05-26-2009).][/B]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 03:07 PM

Well done Fred !!
Tks

Chico

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 03:25 PM

Quote:

I don't want to choose the song though. Let's give it until June 1st to get the song and all the ground rules together. I like that it should be something newer, maybe even something none of us has yet played or recorded.

I'd also like to minimize the layers of recording. Multi-takes to make your song sound "passable" to you really takes away from arranger playing, which is mostly a live activity. I would say record only as much as you need to make it sound like it would if you were playing it live. If you want to dub in a self-made midi fil, backing track or mp3, that's OK as long as that's how you'd do it live.

Let's hear some song suggestions and start working.

From the other thread, cassp. I took this to mean that you were on the same page there.

I'm sorry, but if this is to devolve into a karaoke jam, I am afraid I have no interest in participating.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
From the other thread, cassp. I took this to mean that you were on the same page there.

I'm sorry, but if this is to devolve into a karaoke jam, I am afraid I have no interest in participating.

Who says its going to "devolve into a karaoke jam?" What a baseless, sweeping generalization. Chico's latest work was styles...as was Fred's...as will Cass's be...as will mine when I get it posted over the weekend.

We'd love to hear your work and interpretation of one of these tunes. Its a given you have a high knowledge level and lots of experience...

Just do it...

------------------
Bill in Dayton
Posted by: Retired

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 05:25 PM

Ianmcnll,
Stephenm 52,
Donny,
Bill in Dayton,
Chico,
Thank you for your comments.

Donny recently I have been searching the internet for the
Type of singers that I like, such as
Jerry Vale, Al Martino, Jimmy Roselli, Malcom Vaughan,
All Bowlly, Frankie Lane, All Hibbler, Andy William,
Eddie Fisher, Vic Damone, Matt Monro, etc, and now I have found
another singer I can add to my mp3 collection, thank you Donny,
that’s a great voice you have. I know you are a good instrumentalist
and have nothing to prove, I’ve got the “Shreveport LA Jam”
C.D.s.

Thank you Cass, for posting my song, I hope your idea is well rewarded.
Fred Wren

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 06:43 PM

OK, so it's an arranger forum and some of you feel we should only be using arranger styles - that's a valid opinion. When I joined this forum a few years ago now, I didn't play any more (and probably a lot less) styles than I do now. I was using the ARRANGER as a controller keyboard for my midis and had the styles there in case I got a call for a song I didn't have or hardly ever played.

It turns out that I stayed here because it is such a treasure trove of fun and info. So if someone wants to post their SMF rendition of a song, no big deal to me. I'm pretty sure that somewhere in there is an arranger. Just because it's not being used in a particular way doesn't mean it's ineligible.

For future jams we might consider more specific requirements, but for #1 let's just let it run its course. As Bill C said, there will be plenty of style-based songs posted. I hope to have mine by Monday.

Ps- I have no intentions of being the eJam "commissioner." I certainly hope that others here at SZ will chime in for future eJams.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 07:39 PM

I think it's fair to at least acknowledge what is one's own contribution, and what is third party. Some of us use commercial Karaoke tracks in mp3 form. Do we really want to hear this? Then it's a singer's forum, not an arranger's forum, isn't it...? Even if an arranger is the mp3 player.

All of our arrangers can pump out a very good quality track to just about any song. How does this jam serve any purpose (other than to showcase singing talent) on an arranger forum if third party commercial SMF's can be used..?

I appreciate how others have made an effort for it to be arranger production, whether to make the track or fully 'live'. I just thought that others would feel the same way, keep the bar even, etc...?

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 07:57 PM

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-30-2009).]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 08:03 PM

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 08:22 PM

Donny
[I will take down my song and forget this ever happened no prob]

Please don’t
Fred Wren

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 08:26 PM

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 08:44 PM

Look, Donny, I use commercial SMF's (fairly stripped down, though) in my act, as well as arranger created SMF's, LH bass and just drums, whatever gets the job done, just like you. What I WON'T do is post a piece of work here that is third party and not acknowledge what is my contribution, and what is the track... that someone else played.

Your initial post just said an SMF. Nothing more. Post it, don't post it, your choice. I honestly care less even than you. But give credit where it is due. Or can I merely post a Harry Connick Jr. CD of the song, and claim it's me? Because that's a slippery slope, with outright miming at the bottom. Perhaps, to SOME people, that IS 'entertainment'. But it is nothing I would ever want to be associated with...

I am sure, with your talent and equipment, that you COULD have made a track at least equal to what you used, and no doubt considerably better. What is disappointing is that you didn't WANT to... even for a forum of arranger players. Everybody else seems to have had no problem understanding the SPIRIT of this jam. Don't use this as an excuse to go away and not participate. We all love your singing (me too!) and playing. Let's hear what YOU can do, not you and someone else...

Maybe, in my honor, you could do it as a cha-cha?! (I really AM joking )

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 08:50 PM

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 09:06 PM

What contest?

Thought this was a jam.

Just curious, but if cassp had have stuck to his original idea, would you go all huffy and pouty at him, or is it just me?

Oh well, what the hell...

One, two, cha cha cha

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 09:07 PM

Let's review shall we?

Donny first says he won't participate, saying that its just going to be a pissing contest...Poo-poos the whole notion...

Diki seems interested in the concept...

Donny then posts a zinger pertaining to Diki contributing...

I cajole Donny for being negative and 19 minutes after he said he's not going to do it, voila! He's posted the first one. A terrific vocal that was praised by everyone who commented on it...

Except Diki, who wants a clarification on what's fair game as far as midi files go, he did state that he wasn't trying to take a shot at Donny, just wanting clarification...

St. Cass steps in and says, anything goes, to "let it go"...

Diki then announces he won't participate if it turns into a karaoke Jam...

St. Cass again steps in and says anything goes...

Diki restates his case, apparently ignoring Cass' rationale that the same 3rd party midi file in ten peoples hands can produce ten different versions of a tune...Diki has a point, but this isn't life or death...

Donny, home from his gig, reads everything and decides to send another zinger Diki's way...

Donny, for the umpteenth time, plays the drama card, takes his nice song down and goes off to pout...

Diki, lays out a reasonable comment about using 3rd party midis...and asks Donny to reconsider...

Donny says "contest over for me"...

What contest? Are there prizes?

Each takes turns as the provocateur. This is like a couple of kids fussing, isn't it? To be fair, Diki has seemed to take the higher road on this, although I'd suggest let's just see what rolls in. We all hear what's going on...I think in the end, the guys playing live over styles will be discernible from those using midi files. The guys playing home made midis will sound different from 3rd party files...

WE'LL ALL PROBABLY FIGURE THIS OUT, WON'T WE???

I genuinely think, no, I KNOW you both have a lot to offer in a project like this, and the forum in general, but its not likely to happen. If it does, the sniping, cheap shots and hissy fits will basically suck the joy out of whatever you guys contribute.

Donny, I'd like you to stay and show off your skills, which I enjoy. If its not for you, then maybe just staying away from the thread might be best.

Diki, I really want to hear more of your work. You have a level of technical understanding that blows 99% of the guys around here away. So what if some guys use 3rd party files? Most will acknowledge it up front, some won't, it doesn't matter...

This back and forth, IMO, decreases the chances that other, less established musicians will post their work, and THAT is the main problem...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/29/09 10:15 PM

I take your points to heart, Bill. Pretty decent analysis of the whole flow so far... (heavy flow, too! )

OK, I'm back in... Got inspired by listening to Norah Jones' inspired minimalist version of 'The Nearness of You' on 'Come Away with Me'. Arranger, schmanger... that's REAL music there! Doubt I'll go the same route (got to show off my G70, haven't I? ) but it sure makes a connection to my soul...

Hmmmm.... Hey, maybe I could take her CD version, and overdub some strings, saxes and an upright bass player? That would count, wouldn't it? (OK, OK You KNEW I couldn't leave without some kind of joke, didn't you? )

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/30/09 07:50 AM

What the hell happened here?! I go away for a few hours and all hell breaks loose.

Bill - thanks for that very accurate and heartfelt synopsis. All I have to add is - I'm not a saint.

Diki - I love ya, man but sometimes you just have to put the guns down. You set/have some pretty high standards most of the time. Your nit-picking, though, takes away from all the positive things you have to offer. Lighten up and let things be sometimes (as in now). People are different and sometimes we have to hold our tongues - that's the way it is.

Donny (DNJ) - I love you too, but you drive me crazy. You complain about things, then go ahead and champion the cause. How can you do that? I was ecstatic to see your eJam post. I knew it was an SMF; I knew it wasn't yours; I knew that that is probably the way you would present it live; so, what's the big deal. You let ONE guy pull your chain and you take your ball and go home. C'mon now, you're a better man than that. If all you're here for is a stone throwing bout with Diki, then do it somewhere else. Everyone else on this thread has been very positive about your and all the songs so far.

THIS IS NOT A CONTEST! IT IS AN eJAM. My understanding of a jam is that everyone plays and contributes to the music. Depending on the song, everyone contributes what he/she can - some more, some less. Talent is overlooked for the moment because the immediacy and emotion of the music takes precedence. This jam is a little different because each person has to produce the song separately, but the rest of definition remains.

If we were all playing together and taking turns, wouldn't someone or something have to provide the basic track for the song? Isn't that akin to playing along with a midi or mp3 to some extent? And if someone decides to sing during his solo, isn't that just part of the overall jam?

So, as Diki has proclaimed, it's MY idea so this time we'll do it my way. I say let everyone submit his/her version of the song as he/she wishes. If you like it, speak up. If you want to make constructive suggestions, please do so. If you don't like what you hear, be kind.

As I stated about three eon's ago when I started this post, I love Diki and Donny. I want them both to post their songs on this eJam and I want them to do it their way. If they (or anyone else) can't do without over-reacting, then please step back and let the rest of us enjoy the music.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/30/09 08:33 AM

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/30/09 10:20 AM

In case anyone is now tempted to NOT submit a tune, ignore what Donny wrote. Its complete and total BS. Shame that such a talented man reacts the way he chooses to to things...

Everyone is welcome to submit a version of one or more of these tunes. Our responses will be friendly and hopefully well received. Its time our "better angels" came to the forefront, behaviorally speaking, lol...

Let there be music!

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 05/31/09 08:27 AM

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-01-2009).]
Posted by: John DiLeo

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/01/09 04:38 PM

Hi, is the eJam still in effect?
I was looking forward to hearing other contributions.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/01/09 05:42 PM

Absolutely...

I was going to record mine yesterday, but a very attractive woman asked me out on a date and it was too late to work on when I/we get home...

Besides, the Penguins/Red Wings game was coming on and I don't miss the Pens!

Speaking of which, Cass is too busy gloating about his Wings to me on Facebook, so he probably won't have anything for posting until after the Stanley Cup Finals are over...

Which may be sooner than I planned on, lol...

I should have mine up tomorrow morning...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/01/09 05:57 PM

It runs to the end of June, doesn't it?

Or is there a prize for first in? (That's already taken, anyway!)

Is everybody using a download service that will allow it to remain up until the deadline? Presumably, once everything is in and the date reached would be the best time to compare (but not judge )...

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/01/09 06:44 PM

I'll just be posting mine to my website.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/02/09 08:24 AM

I'm still mentally fine tuning my first song. The wife has been home and we have been busy going here and there. Bill has been calling and crying on my shoulder about his poor Penquins. I hope to have mine posted to my website later this week. Keep those cards and letters (song posts) coming.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/02/09 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
I was going to record mine yesterday, but a very attractive woman asked me out on a date and it was too late to work on when I/we get home...

So you would rather work on an attractive woman than a tune for our eJam?

Where's your dedication, where's your competitive spirit, where's your creative spark? (where's your little blue pills?!)

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/02/09 02:46 PM

It's really amazing that there is 55 posts mostly BS and only one song has been posted so far, which by the way was excellent but I can't blame Dnj for removing it. I'm only a home player & getting better every day with practice, maybe one day I could participate also.
Can we please stop all the negatives & concentrate on the positives namely the music itself.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/02/09 03:08 PM

The eJam runs for a month, in fact has only been running what, three days or so... perhaps getting impatient so early in the process is BS in and of itself..?

Don't like the thread discourse? Easy fix. Post your song, and don't come back for a month. Problem solved.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/02/09 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John DiLeo:
It's really amazing that there is 55 posts mostly BS and only one song has been posted so far, which by the way was excellent but I can't blame Dnj for removing it. I'm only a home player & getting better every day with practice, maybe one day I could participate also.
Can we please stop all the negatives & concentrate on the positives namely the music itself.

Actually, there were two...Donny's and Fred...

The biggest negative took his song and went home, so as I said in a recent/positive posting, we welcome submissions from anyone and everyone...

John, don't underestimate your skills...we welcome people of all levels to submit stuff.

If you have the means to record something, you should work up something and share it. If you need a place to host the song, there's several different options we can direct you to.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/02/09 03:23 PM

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-02-2009).]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/02/09 03:24 PM

Quote:
So you would rather work on an attractive woman than a tune for our eJam?

Where's your dedication, where's your competitive spirit, where's your creative spark? (where's your little blue pills?!)

Any chance my wife and I have to spend time together, we're taking...

The tune is ready to go, if I could just not screw up the recording process in the little spare time I have, it'd be posted already, lol...

No little blue pills for me...(at least not yet!)

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/02/09 03:40 PM

Quote:
I stand corrected Bill, too bad Fred had to be subjected to all this hoopla BS also.
have fun.

Hmmm, I could see how John DiLeo could stand corrected, not sure how you would be "corrected."

Remarkable to me that you could even hit enter after typing those particular words about "hoopla BS."

If you don't want to participate in this thread in the way you were praised for when your song was still available, that's fine. I don't agree with it, but its your choice.

At least have enough class to not return to this thread and post smart ass comments that are insulting to all of us.

This is the second degrading, put down type posting you've posted towards anyone continuing to participate.

...and you cite hoopla/bs?

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/02/09 05:19 PM

Well, here it is...

The Nearness of You...
http://www.billcorfield.com/NEARNESS.mp3

Details:

Performed on a Tyros 1, using an Orchestral Jazz Ballad style. Piano was main instrument, strings were instrument #2 and I used a Fluglehorn for the front half of the solo section.

Key of F at 72 bpm...

Vocal mic was an AKG Perception 220..

Recorded on a Tascam DP-01...

Ran lines out from a Behringer PMX2000 box mixer into the two inputs of the Tascam.

I am not comfortable recording stuff. Not from a performance perspective, but from the technical end of things. In my headphones, the mix sounded perfect, but on my mp3 players, the vocal wasn't loud enough...on my computer speakers, I thought it was a tad too loud...

Overall I thought it wasn't loud enough. Not sure how to address that in the recording process though...

Maybe if I just decided to record a different song every day...The routine would become second hand to me and it wouldn't bug me...

I'm also not convinced that the AKG mic gives me any significantly better results than my Sen 855e or one of my Sure's for that matter. I could swear I hear some very slight phasing or something that could be the mic picking up some signal leaking out of my headphones. This mic is picking up cars, lawn mowers, the cat meowing around the house...lol...

Oh well...I think I've covered the bases on how I did this...Cass, thanks for helping me learn a new song...I'd never heard of it until you listed it.

Enjoy everyone...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 06-02-2009).]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/02/09 06:17 PM

Enjoy? Definitely. That's fantastic! Very warm and with feeling. The solos were simple, straight ahead and pleasant. That definitely beat anything VS had to offer between periods. Thank you very much.

Now I wish I could go back and listen to Donny's for my own personal enjoyment and comparison, but...

I'm really glad I'm doing a different song - all three of you have set the bar pretty high. I'm so glad we're doing this.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/02/09 06:29 PM

You can find Donny's entry up on his site http://www.donnypesce.com/songs.htm any time you want to listen to it. Donny didn't create this for the eJam, you simply picked something he had already done quite a while back.

Not that there's ANYTHING wrong with that...

(Hey, did I just re-enter Donny in the jam? )
Posted by: btweengigs

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/02/09 07:12 PM

Bill.....
Very nice, soothing, lounge rendition.
Eddie

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/02/09 07:18 PM

Bill,

Fine job on this one...I agree with you that the overall volume was a bit low, but the balance was good...nice clean vocals, and a simple but effective background.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/02/09 07:32 PM

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-10-2009).]
Posted by: Lucky2Bhere

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/02/09 09:28 PM

This song "The Nearness of You" is an incredibly beautiful song. I knew it from way back, but I never gave it much thought until you guys started talking about it. I'm glad it was brought up. Been playing it on the piano for days now, I never get tired of it as you can do it in so many different ways. I also downloaded the Norah Jones version. Loved it until I heard Marian McPartland do it. She embraces that song for all it's worth. If you can, have a listen. You can find it online on many sites.

Bill, I don't have high-speed and your contribution is 5mb+ so, sorry, I'm going to have to pass on this one.

I'm looking forward to more entries and when they're all in I'll go to the library and hear them.

Lucky

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/03/09 10:01 AM

Mine will be in before deadline, Donny... and no-one appointed me Judge. I didn't give my honest opinion of your entry, why am I supposed to do it for others'? If you want this jam to fail, Donny, you'll have to get your own hands dirty...

It's a jam, not a contest.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/03/09 10:11 AM

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-10-2009).]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/03/09 10:55 AM

Donny, the comment about it being over an SMF has nothing whatsoever to do with what I thought of the performance.

Plus, there was nothing WRONG with using an SMF, and it was only my confusion about using commercial SMF's from the previous thread that made me so against using them. Cassp cleared that up, they are OK, you are good for takeoff. Instead, you have sniped and harassed this thread since your decision to take your ball and sulk (and before, to be frank).

Either you are IN, or leave this thread alone (i am not the first to suggest this). I only posted the address of your entry because there ARE those that wanted to hear it, and it is on a public site as a demo of yours. Feel free to link me to any of my work... my hands ARE clean. I want this jam to work.

I don't suppose you are going to give up with your vendetta, but beware... more people are laughing AT you than WITH you on this one...
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/03/09 11:08 AM

Bill, fine job. Can't believe you weren't familiar with this classic. Maby it's your age showing, you "young pup".

Enjoyed it!

Russ

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/03/09 07:08 PM

Cass, Eddie, Ian and Russ...

Thanks for the kind words. Like I said, this tune was new to me...I'm sure I've seen it in various books along the way but it never caught my eye.

I hope to hear more feedback and more submissions from other SZ members.

I'll work on the volume thing, lol...

------------------
Bill in Dayton
Posted by: mikey_maestro

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/03/09 07:15 PM

Great Job Bill!!!

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.myspace.com/kidconcert
www.balloonanimal.com
www.jokevid.com
www.youtube.com/kidconcert

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/04/09 06:28 AM

Bill, Great job with "The Nearness of You" been one of my all time favorite songs. Thanks for sharing.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/04/09 06:30 AM

Great job Bill.
Good choice of style, well balanced voices and back ground, nice and clean vocals.
If you have the music parts (pdf or .enc), pls send me:chicomusic@globo.com
Regards
Chico

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/04/09 08:19 AM

Bill
your interpretation of,the nearness of you,
was very nice to listen to.
Thank you,
Fred Wren

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/04/09 08:32 AM

Mikey, Stephen, Chico and Fred...

Thanks for your compliments...

Chico, the chart I have is out of a fake book, I made up the intro/ending on my own. I can scan it and send it over as a jpeg.

Let me know if that works for you...

Thanks again, guys...
Posted by: RMepstead

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/06/09 04:51 AM

Pity you didn't list Autumn leaves too... http://www.keyboardplayerextraordinaire.com/jazzswing-duo.php
Rog

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/06/09 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RMepstead:
Pity you didn't list Autumn leaves too... http://www.keyboardplayerextraordinaire.com/jazzswing-duo.php
Rog

Roger, that a very nice vocal but you're right, Autumn Leaves was not one of the three tunes Cass selected.

If this idea survives, Autumn leaves would be a good song to include someday...

Cheers-

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/06/09 11:24 AM

Roger - thanks for your contribution. Even though our goal was to hear members' version of selected songs, your Autumn Leaves was great. Now how about trying one of the three songs for this month - they are easy enough. Autumn Leaves would make a great fall song.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/06/09 11:32 AM

Well, here's my eJam song Here We Go Again . It's still not what I'd like, but I can't keep rerecording this song; I'm getting tired of it and I like it so much when I hear Ray Charles do it.

Being a white boy, I just haven't got that gospel feel I'd like to have, so I used the Slow Country style from my G70. The left hand parts were FM EP2 and Warm Strings. The right hand parts were Vintage EP1 and Darwbars.

I recorded directly into a Boss BR532 4track digital (using two tracks). I then added reverb and balanced track on Nero Wave Editor.

This is a 'simple' three chord song and easy enough for anyone to have fun with. I hope you enjoy my version.

Cass Pawlowski
Posted by: BEBOP

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/06/09 01:55 PM

Wow Cass, that is sooooooooooo gooooooood!!!
I am just blown away with your work on this song.
I am going to have to put you up on that top pedastel along with Donnie as being one of the best in the zone.
would you please email that to me so I can share it with a couple of hundred people on my email lists. Yes, it is that good.
Thank you so much.
I will listen to this one over and over.
I guess it helps that Ray Charles is one of my favorites and I got to know him back in the early 50's when I was playing at the Desert Inn on Valley Blvd in El Monte.
Such great talent. I would love to hear more of your interpretations.
Just fine that is all I can think to say. I think that if this was a contest instead of a jam you would have just won
Thanks so much for sharing.
Bebop

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/06/09 02:07 PM

Ray has always been one of my major influences in music so I thought I would give this one a try. I'm playing a PSR 3000, mic going through the internal speakers and recorded directly onto a Flip Ultra cam.

Many thanks to Cass for showing me how to post this here. Here We Go Again

Eddie

[This message has been edited by btweengigs (edited 06-07-2009).]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/06/09 02:37 PM

Great job both of you!

Cass-great arrangement, solid vocal, nice, nice, nice!!!!

Eddie-Glad you jumped in...You're doing some very cool stuff with your right hand throughout...

Its great to hear talented people you've never really heard before perform...

Who's next?

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/06/09 02:51 PM

Eddie, I like this a lot. I wish I had your right hand licks - very good.

So what arranger did you use? Style? wtc...

Just one critical comment - I wish the arrangement and keyboard was a little louder.

Great job! Thanks.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/06/09 03:09 PM

Keyboard I used was Yamaha PSR 3000. It was an onboard style called Slow Blues in the R&B style section. I also had a bluesy 3rd party multi-pad I picked up somewhere.

I would have liked to boost the audio in a bit...but the Flick doesn't have a line in jack.

I, too, really liked Cass's arrangement and vocal. Hearing different interpretations and styles is what I imagined the Ejam to be all about.

I don't think I could do Black Horse and Cherry Tree...but I am anxious to see if anyone tackles that one.

I appreciate the opportunity to participate. Thanx Cass.

Eddie

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/07/09 01:43 AM

Yes Bill and Cassp we do Black Horse and the Cherry Tree (KT Tunstall) but haven't recorded it yet...
Next time we're practising I'll take a recording...great number...
Rog
Posted by: The Saint

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/07/09 02:35 AM

Hi Nigel,
Why is the menu showing latest post as 7 6 09 when the last post is 26 5 09.
This has occurred a few times recently, not that I want to participate in the p...... contest, but just as a means of keeping up to date. I do not want to waste my valuable time scrolling when it is not necessary. Also, recently I sent a couple of posts regarding the boring topic of The Audya Sh....fight which did not surface. Was the content not suitable .....or did I malfunction????
Ray

------------------
Ray The Saint
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/07/09 06:18 AM

Casp...Hello My Friend...Thank You for Doing this...This is why I check the Zone Daily Hoping to find People Sharing the Musicial Gifts They Have...Fantastic Job Everyone, I really enjoy Your Music...Thank You All So Much...Also The You-Tube Shows the Live Playing which helps gather Ideas on playing technics,etc. And I Get to See Meet You in Person!...Keep it Up

Sincerely, Harold

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/07/09 07:13 AM

Harold - you should still have an arranger or two lying around the house. Turn it on and give us a taste of your music. No special recording skills needed and you don't have to do multiple takes, just play us one of the tunes.

AND THAT GOES FOR ALL YOU READERS OUT THERE, play your rendition of one of our eJam songs. Let's fill the Zone with our music.

Saint - haven't the slightest idea of what you're talking about. As long as I've been here, posts have always been from earliest to latest. And this isn't any piss..... contest, as you could see if you read all the posts.

Donny's hopefully going to repost his song and this first eJam will carry thru the end of the month or until the songs stop coming. There will be a #2, so get your suggetions ready.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/07/09 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Saint:
Hi Nigel,
Why is the menu showing latest post as 7 6 09 when the last post is 26 5 09.
This has occurred a few times recently, not that I want to participate in the p...... contest, but just as a means of keeping up to date. I do not want to waste my valuable time scrolling when it is not necessary. Also, recently I sent a couple of posts regarding the boring topic of The Audya Sh....fight which did not surface. Was the content not suitable .....or did I malfunction????
Ray

the first post was May 26, 2009 and the last post is today June 7, 2009.
Bebop

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/09/09 06:47 AM

from Fred Wren - Hi Cass,
I have learnt a lot from joining the eJam program. I have had the Yamaha PSR-S900 for about a year now, and just arranged songs to play for my own amusement in doors, as I don’t gig any more.

By joining in the eJam, I learnt how to record to a USB stick,download it to a computer, change it to a mp3,and e-mail it
to you as an attachment.

Listening to you and other members arranging singing Styles, I thought I would have a go at it. I am not a singer as such, but at 76yrs it gives me an interest, and helps keep the brain and fingers active.
I am sending you another style of ‘The Nearness of You’ as I don’t know, and have not got a 'buskers copy' of the other
two songs. As I have already sent you one song, I won’t mind if it is not included in the eJam, as I don’t wont to cause
any problems. I am just pleased your eJam motivated me to join in, which I think is what it’s all about; if it was a contest I would not have bothered. But being able to listen to other member from around the world
providing their arrangements of similar songs, I think is really worth while.

I connected the mike to the psr-900, recorded onto a usb stick using an, Acoustic jazz, Orchestral swing 1, and PianoBoogie, styles. Changed it to an mp3 and posted it to you, to do with as you wish.

Regards
Fred Wren

THANKS SO MUCH, FRED FOR TRUSTING ME WITH YOUR MUSIC. HERE IS YOUR "SECOND" ENTRY JUST AS YOU SENT IT.

The Nearness of You - version 2

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 06-26-2009).]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/09/09 06:54 AM

Hey Fred-

Nice job...I enjoyed your vocals and I was grabbed by your organ playing...

Please keep them coming...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/09/09 07:37 AM

Great job, Fred. Have you ever played a Mighty Wurlitzer theater organ? Your organ style would fit right in - love it.

Since almost everyone is doing versions of Nearness, maybe I'll scrap my work on Black Horse and give Nearness a shot - I've still got a few weeks, right.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/09/09 02:45 PM

Mr. Fred... That was Great...Sweet, Natural,Easy, smooth Voice, Nice chops...Are You sure You're 76?...MORE!.....Thanks Harold

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/09/09 03:13 PM

Fred Wren you are a true professional in every sense of the word. Stylish, Classy, & you really made it your own. Well done, I will surly add this to my collection.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/09/09 10:46 PM

Quote:
Well, here's my eJam song Here We Go Again . It's still not what I'd like, but I can't keep rerecording this song; I'm getting tired of it and I like it so much when I hear Ray Charles do it.

Being a white boy, I just haven't got that gospel feel I'd like to have, so I used the Slow Country style from my G70. The left hand parts were FM EP2 and Warm Strings. The right hand parts were Vintage EP1 and Darwbars.

I recorded directly into a Boss BR532 4track digital (using two tracks). I then added reverb and balanced track on Nero Wave Editor.

This is a 'simple' three chord song and easy enough for anyone to have fun with. I hope you enjoy my version.

Cass Pawlowski

not bad gospel inflection for a white boy, Great job Cass, Love the voice!

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.balloonanimal.com
www.jokevid.com

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/10/09 05:37 AM

It seems that "The Nearness of You" has been the overwhelming choice for our #1 eJam anthem. So, I've succumbed and recorded my own version. My only real complaint this time is the length. Maybe I should have done a Donny and put a little more swing tempo into it, but the song just begged for a slower approach. I hope you enjoy it.

The Nearness of You - cp

I used a Big Band Slow style with Orch Strings on the left hand. I stayed with the Piano Grand X and a slight peppering of Elec Piano I on the right hand.

I would like to add that I too have benefitted much from this first eJam. I have become reacquainted with my G70 and my recorder. I have become more comfortable with choosing and using styles. I have learned how to better merge tracks and add reverb. The interaction with all of the participants has been great and has really gotten my creative juices flowing again.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/10/09 06:06 AM

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/10/09 07:11 AM

That's great news, Donny. Thanks so much for reconsidering. Your rendition started us off and now it can keep us going.

Still waitng on Mikey, who says he's "busy" and Diki who pushed me on thru the rough beginnings. I hope there are plenty of others. Give it a try.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/10/09 10:11 AM

[Cass-- THANKS SO MUCH, FRED FOR TRUSTING ME WITH YOUR MUSIC. HERE IS YOUR "SECOND" ENTRY JUST AS YOU SENT IT.]

Hi Cass,
Thank you for including my second entry of “The Nearness of You”
in the current eJam,
I didn’t realise you had problems with your webpage, I am sorry if I caused you any unnecessary hassle, I am just pleased, you have got me interested again in my music.
I don’t know much about websites as I have not needed one, but looking around the internet, I believe you can use some websites for free for the
occasional song, I will look into that, when you do your next eJam.
(smiling face)…. something else I’ve got to learn to do!
Just when I was thinking of buying myself a rocking chair, I have found a new interest…Thank you Cass.

Your version of the of the “Nearness of You” was worth waiting for, a great
Job. Thank you.
Fred Wren

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/10/09 05:51 PM

Hey! I've got company in the lounge!

Nice job, Cassanova!

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/10/09 06:12 PM

Thanks Bill. I got your phone message. As coincidence would have it, I was at the dealership having my front tire looked at - it was running low. It seems there was a tiny, little penquin beak stuck in the tread. Got it out and all is well - BIG lmao.

Oh, and the beak had a tiny, little 87 printed on it too. Wonder what that's all about. he he he...

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/11/09 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:

Nice one, Fred...I like to play it as a Latin as well (I use Bossa Nova), but I really like the way you used the Beguine style.

Nice job.

Ian, it's your turn. We're waiting...

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/11/09 09:33 AM

Quote:
Ian, it's your turn. We're waiting...

Hi Cassp,

I've been busy with clinics/demos, but what I think I'll do is record a tune while I'm doing a demo..that way it will be recorded "live" and a better representation of how I generally do a tune.

I'll just hit "record" and then convert it to Wav. and then MP3 when I get back to my laptop.

I'll do the Bossa version of The Nearness of You.

Ian

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/11/09 12:34 PM

Cassp, I have a tendency to wait towards the end of a deadline to submit things... gives me longer to do it, and longer to review whether it is how I want it to be...

We've still got nearly three weeks, don't we?

And Donny, glad to see you back here. Please be assured that nothing I posted here about your initial entry was intended in any way to chase you away from the eJam. Glad you are back...

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/11/09 12:46 PM

Nice work gentlmen. I enjoyed all the performances. The pros as usual sound great, Donny, Bill from Dayton, Eddie. I may have left someone out I apologize in advance.

Cass, I guess the Brigatti Bros aren't the only blue eyed soul brothers.( that's a reference to a quote from Donald Fagen from the Album NY Rock n Soul Review 1991 btw it's a terrific album). You're as comfortable singing Here We Go Again as you are with the "Nearness of You."

Fred, I'm with Harold are you sure you're 76?

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 06-11-2009).]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/11/09 12:52 PM

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/11/09 12:57 PM

Just a reminder - instrumental versions are TOTALLY acceptable. this is not a singing or playing contest. It's just a fun little jam. Join us.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/11/09 01:15 PM

Quote:
Comon Steven give it a shot on this great standard or one of the others. If I have the time I might even throw in a second entry "Here We Go Again" also...watching Eddie perform it got my soul all pumped up to give it a go.. Also Hope to jam with him and many others at the next Shreveport LA Jam in January 23-27, 2010

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-11-2009).]

Donny, the month isn't over I have something in mind. Cass it will be instrumental. I think you knew that anyway, but thanks for mentioning it.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/11/09 05:34 PM

Bill in Dayton, Cass, Harold S, John Dileo, Stephenm52.
Thank you for your generous compliments.

Sadly, I have not played a Might Wurlitzer theatre organ,
but I’ll see what I can find on the psr-900.

Unfortunately ‘I am 76yrs’ but I have some very enjoyable
musical memories, that starts from when I was 14yrs,and still going.

John Dileo, that was very nice, a boost to my ageing ego.

Donny, pleased your back.
Fred Wren.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/12/09 06:38 PM

Fred thank you.....I also eagerly await more submission to the Ejam very soon.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/14/09 08:14 AM

It's amazing at the meager turnout of contributions to the eJAM......but you'll see 500 posts on speakers, 200 posts on VST's...everything else but playing actual music.....just goes to show ya that "talk the talk" ratio to "Walk the Walk". I think this thread signifies what really is going on.I was going to post "Here We Go Again" also, but why should I with this crap excuse laden support?... Sorry if this is insulting to anyone but that's the way I feel.kudos to all who participated.....and shame on the rest who didn't.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-14-2009).]
Posted by: etwo4788

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/14/09 08:50 AM

Okay boys..... I will tell you why I have only read this interesting thread.....

The main reason is that there is way too much unnecessary criticism going on...really
picky picky stuff....

Other reasons are that I am a female, a senior (nearing 78 yrs), totally self-trained musically, love playing for live audiences, volunteer player with regular gigs, play TECHNICS KN models 7000, 6000. Have owned/played KN5000, 3000, & 1000.

Additionally, I do not know how to get my music from my KN7000 to the computer then to this thread.

I do not like criticism or negativity of any variety..

Elizabeth.....

------------------

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/14/09 09:11 AM

Elizabeth, your music would be welcome here on SZ in the eJAM. As far as getting your music posted here to be posted many in the know would gladly help you through it for sure, just ask.Doesn't Technics KB's have a smart card of some sort to record a song on that can be transferred afterwards? Regarding the criticism & negativity that is part of what an open forum discussion is all about everyone has the right to voice their opinions pro or con.
To say you like something after hearing it just for the of sake of being nice when you really didn't enjoy it only makes things worse for the player involved & gives them a false sense of thinking their work is better then it could be. Constructive opinions help most of the time if they come from a source you can trust or from musicians you've heard play before also and not just talk. I myself have been trying to learn one of the songs for the eJAM also & will possibly be able to make an entry...if not this time but on the next one.

[This message has been edited by John DiLeo (edited 06-14-2009).]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/14/09 09:31 AM

Hello Elizabeth...Nice to meet You!...Thank You for Posting...Wow 78, not that age matters,What's in one's Heart does...It's Wonderful You're Sharing The Musical Gifts You Have, and on a Volunteer Basis also...Music Touches the Soul, Makes People Happy,they can forget their sadness for a bit!...I find alot self self taught Musicians play from the Heart with such feeling, each with their own special touch!

We are both Somewhat alike (AS most in general are) I don't mind criticism only IF I ask For it... If I were to post any Music And Then only in a POSITIVE way as to Improve My Music...I'm 60, But Simply To Busy Now to work with Music... I do Look to the Zone for the Many Friends I have Spoke with Personaly (for Gracious Help)...As in the World Nothing is Perfect, We just Look for the Good!...Keep on Keepin On...Harold

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/14/09 11:23 AM

Quote:
It's amazing at the meager turnout of contributions to the eJAM......but you'll see 500 posts on speakers, 200 posts on VST's...everything else but playing actual music.....just goes to show ya that "talk the talk" ratio to "Walk the Walk". I think this thread signifies what really is going on. I was going to post "Here We Go Again" also, but why should I with this crap excuse laden support?... Sorry if this is insulting to anyone but that's the way I feel.kudos to all who participated.....and shame on the rest who didn't.

Yeah, that ought to work...

There have been fewer submissions than maybe we hoped for, but the first round isn't over yet and there's still over two weeks to send in one of the first group of suggestions.

Not everyone has ever suggested they wanted to submit songs for others to hear. The talk the talk/walk the walk thing is presumptuous on your part, Donny. This forum is open to all people who are interested in Arrangers, regardless if they perform professionally or not.

People visit here to learn about arrangers. Surely it doesn't make them less in any way because they don't share their work.

Guys like yourself, Cass, and all the others who do this for a living or have lots of performance are going to have an easier time of putting something together and posting it.

I think Cass's intent is to encourage participation and praise the efforts and skills of anyone who does. I think Cass is counting on guys like you, me and some others to provide samples of our work and encourage anyone else who needs a hand...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/14/09 11:25 AM

Failed 1st attempt at response to Elizabeth's post...

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 06-14-2009).]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/14/09 11:28 AM

Elizabeth-

I think John's right...there should be some media (a memory card or stick or something) that would allow you to get your music to the computer.

I have to defer to my Technics friends here...I've never even seen one, let alone become familiar with it...

I admire how you currently share your talents and hope we can help you figure out how to share them here at the SZ...

Cheers-

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/14/09 01:36 PM

You are nice boys...Thank you for your responses...

JOHN DILEO.... Yes, the Technics 7K has both an SD card and floppy disc memory card.
It also has a USB port and I do have a cord that reaches my computer.
Perhaps my choice to use the word "criticism" was a poor choice...Hind sight is always so good! Constructive criticism is always welcome from others IF I ask for it, which one of you also mentioned.

Your profile does not mention where you are?
I do appreciate your comments... Thank you.

HAROLD S. Nice to meet you as well... (My son, Rick...Harold R. S.... will be 60 the 5th of Nov.)
You are absolutely correct, music is in the heart... For me it is the voice of love that comes from the soul... For me, everything is perfect in it's own state at each moment, moment by moment... each moment is an opportunity to grow, to evolve and become all that is possible to be....
Looking for the good in all things and glowing with the flow of life is for me, what life is about....

It seems as though there is a bit of a philosopher in you also??? I think you might be a cool communicator.... I suspect you are probably a cool musician as well...

BILL IN DAYTON... I have been to your website many times... I like what you are doing very much.... I would come to see you if I lived closer or ever drive my only home, a Motor Home to your neighborhood...

Yes, John is correct about the memory card.
The SZ folks on the Technics forum have all been helping me do things I want to do and learn about the AWESOME KN7000 for a very long time....

One of my budz over there in the U.K. is currently helping me with getting my sequenced music onto CD.... My stumbling block is in my head.... I can play just fine for my audiences. When I play at home into the recording system (the sequencer)..I get stage fright as I know it will be heard by others that I cannot make eye contact with as I play! In addition, I am my own best/worst critic!

Your quote of what Donny (DNJ) wrote is exactly why I posted above... What he wrote is not in the least encouraging, for others who may want to participate... IMO...
I appologise for my poor use of "criticism."

It would be so wonderful to find another Technics or anykind of arranger player in my S.E. corner of New Mexico who would want to jam with me once in awhile, or close enough that I could travel in my Motor Home to jam with him/her...

On my first visit to Carlsbad Caverns, just 25 miles south of my home base, was so very impressive to my ears...as well as my eyes... There is perfect silence...not a sound unless water drips, words are spoken and/or any other sound that might happen. My first thought was that I wanted to bring my 7K into that place and play it! There were some workers near who heard me tell my companion that I wanted to bring my KB into the cavern.... A voice from a worker asked me what kind of KB I play... He told me he also plays a Technics... I have tried to find out who that man is without success....

Tomorrow morning at my gig, a man I have never met will be there to hear my music... He is a former University Prof... a PHd in music! I must spend the rest of today playing and choosing my best to play for him! I do that anyway for my little audience of seniors...

Thank you Bill for your nice response and offer to help....

My thanks to all of you for your very welcome responses.... I do appreciate all of you and my budz over on the Technics forum....

Elizabeth....

------------------

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/14/09 01:46 PM

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/14/09 01:58 PM

Quote:
Bill yea that's all well & good ...but don't you think it's a bit weird to hear day after day all the Mr know it alls that dont have a clue as to what they are talking about due to their in experience....

Who are these people, Donny?

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/14/09 02:17 PM

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/14/09 03:47 PM

Quote:
I'm sure you know excactly what I'm talking about you've been here long enough correctamundo my Northern friend?.

Actually, my friend, I really don't know.

I thought the e-jam was strictly voluntary, and there was no pressure for anyone to have to upload a tune.

Besides, the deadline is the end of the month, isn't it? A lot can happen before that comes around.

Ian

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/14/09 03:55 PM

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/14/09 03:59 PM

DNJ.....

Your youthful rudeness is exactly why I will never post my music here....

Elizabeth....

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/14/09 04:11 PM

All I will say is - look what happens when we have nothing to listen to and enjoy.

Why are everyone's egos so on edge? We won't need to be defensive if our comments are not offensive.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/14/09 04:35 PM

Perhaps I will reconsider when I learn just how to accomplish the task....

Everyone else has been very gentlemanly and encouraging....

I will not let one bad apple spoil the bunch. My appologies to all .....

Elizabeth

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/14/09 04:50 PM

Elizabeth - what you need to do is make an audio recording of one of the songs. The easiest way to do this is by using a digital audio recorder of some type. You could even record direct to your PC using Windows Media Player or a free program from the internet.

You say that you're recording songs to CD; that same process should be helpful recording this song.

Once the song is recorded, you must save it as an mp3, wma, or other compatible file type to your PC. This is usually different than the original recording.

Then you need to upload the file to a file sharing website. I will gladly host your song if you email it to me. If you send along a message to go with it, I will then post your message and song. If you need any help, email me and we can figure out what needs to be done.

Cass Pawlowski
cassp50@gmail.com

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/14/09 05:11 PM

CASS....

Thank you too for your offer to help...

What I said about recording my music is that I need to play into the sequencer on my Technics KN7000. Then I must learn how to transfer the music to my computer where I can then (with help) transfer the music to CD in the computer, or a flash drive or some other way, again, with help!

I know my KN7000 pretty well.... the computer is a greater challenge... I like the musical KB a lot better!

Elizabeth

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/14/09 05:19 PM

Elizabeth why are you coming down on Donny, he is only making his opinion known? If you do post a song some may like it & some may not, so what? You have to be prepared for all views pro or con. At least he really says what he feels unlike some who like to sugarcoat their replies. Donny has helped me many times with my S900 without question well beyond what I requested privately.
He is the real deal & I respect him for that..

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/14/09 05:25 PM

JOHN....

IMO DNJ/Donny is frequently unnecessarily rude....

Elizabeth....

------------------

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/14/09 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by etwo4788:
CASS....

What I said about recording my music is that I need to play into the sequencer on my Technics KN7000. Then I must learn how to transfer the music to my computer where I can then (with help) transfer the music to CD in the computer, or a flash drive or some other way, again, with help!

I know my KN7000 pretty well.... the computer is a greater challenge... I like the musical KB a lot better!

Elizabeth

Elizabeth - unless your Technics records audio, you will still have to record it to some type of digital reorder to place on your CDs. The Technics records midi information and will save your song as a midi file with a Technics extension or as a .mid file. That file will never sound like your keyboard unless you play it back on your or a similar keyboard.

Actually, making an audio recording is pretty simple. It's all the other stuff that gets involved.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/14/09 05:32 PM

Elizabeth I respect your opinion although I cannot agree with you. Hope you figure out how to post one of the selected songs in the eJAM.

John
Posted by: miden

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/14/09 07:09 PM

Quote:
It's amazing at the meager turnout of contributions to the eJAM......but you'll see 500 posts on speakers, 200 posts on VST's...everything else but playing actual music.....just goes to show ya that "talk the talk" ratio to "Walk the Walk". I think this thread signifies what really is going on.I was going to post "Here We Go Again" also, but why should I with this crap excuse laden support?... Sorry if this is insulting to anyone but that's the way I feel.kudos to all who participated.....and shame on the rest who didn't.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-14-2009).]

Oh I dont know Donny, maybe it's as simple as some people were not too fussed with the song choice

Dennis

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/14/09 07:17 PM

Dennis, thanks for that comment. It gives me the opportunity to ask for suggestions for our July eJam. Feel free to post them here or email your suggestions to me. Thanks.

Cass P
cassp50@gmail.com

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/14/09 07:28 PM

Hey Cass NP

My thoughts are that perhaps you could look at posting Genres as the source, rather than specific songs. Maybe a swing/jazz month, pop month, rock month etc etc....

Dennis

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/14/09 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Oh I dont know Donny, maybe it's as simple as some people were not too fussed with the song choice

Dennis

Think of it as a request from the audience, sure it's challenging but we're musicians right? I also think that if the task was to post ANY song you wanted we'd still have the same turnout.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/14/09 08:35 PM

Quote:
Think of it as a request from the audience, sure it's challenging but we're musicians right? I also think that if the task was to post ANY song you wanted we'd still have the same turnout.

I don't do those either, unless I know (or have a good idea of how it goes) the song

As for the same turnout, maybe. But then maybe not.

D

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/14/09 08:47 PM

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/14/09 08:57 PM

Donny, for me, the more I know a tune the more fun it is. I was just trying to point out that some folks may not have liked/did not know the songs, rather than simply not wanting to take part. Including me

I just felt your comment threw too wide a net.

I understood where you were coming from on it, I just disagreed

Dennis

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/14/09 09:06 PM

Dennis all very good points ....lets hope if there is another eJAM the response is overwhelming.
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/14/09 10:18 PM

Hi Elizabeth,
if I'm not mistaken, Kn7 actually came with audio recording software. Unfortunately I sold my kn7, 5 years ago, and my memory is not too good.

Maybe someone on the Technics forum still uses the software.

Unfortunately I can't sing, or play well enough to bother trying to record a tune, so audio recording was not a function I ever really used much.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by etwo4788:
CASS....

Elizabeth

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/15/09 11:49 AM

Cassp and gang,

I finally got down a recording of Nearness of You....I did this during a demonstration of the Audio to USB recorder at one of my clinics this morning.

This is a pretty simple arrangement with mainly SA Sax, SA Concert Guitar, Live!Strings and a Piano/Choir layer....basically a quick record, with parts added...I was demoing the onboard sequencer.

No editing after recording...just used the onboard Audio to USB, and then loaded the WAV file into my laptop and made an MP3 at 192 Kbps.

I used a factory Bossa Nova style but I edited it quite a bit when showing how to use the onboard Style Creator.

I've made the style available to anyone with an S900 or Tyros2/3.

MP3: http://www.4shared.com/file/112020540/80ccf16b/NearnessOfYou1.html

Style: http://www.4shared.com/file/112021327/f4c3d899/BossaGuitrPiano2S093.html

Hope you guys like it.

Ian

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/15/09 12:11 PM

Oh, that is excelent, Ian! No wonder you are a demonstrator for Yamaha. Your knowledge of the instrument is quite evident, and your playing style is very pleasing. Thank you so much for that submission.
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/15/09 12:13 PM

Nice job Ian..In fact...the best I have heard from the S900...I liked the guitar work..

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/15/09 12:16 PM

Ian...
Very classy. Tasteful voice choices. Nice uptempo, dance-able beat. Love the modulation and the retarded ending...no pun intended.
Eddiwe

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/15/09 12:18 PM

Thanks very much guys...I appreciate the nice comments.

Ian

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/15/09 12:36 PM

Ian, that sounds great, very nicely done, thanks for sharing that style as well.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/15/09 12:52 PM

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/15/09 03:50 PM

Well done, Ian...

Smooooooooth as silk!

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/15/09 07:11 PM

I want send my congrats to all participants.
To Ian:
You spent just 2,48" minutes to create a true bossa nova jewell.
Chico
Posted by: msutliff

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/15/09 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
..I liked the guitar work..

Me too!

It was REALLY nice! Great job, Ian.

-mike

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/16/09 07:33 AM

Thank you very much guys...I really appreciate your kind words.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/16/09 10:29 AM

It is just beautiful, Ian.
thank you for sharing,

I have to say that all participants have done an outstanding job on their entrys. You all are just great and it is good of you to post a sample of your work here. thank you
I have put my work here in the forum before so I am not shy. I would like to participate but my memory of songs is not too good anymore and since both eyes were operated on I can't sight read fast enough to play anymore so I just play free style jazz now days and when that option is offered I will be here with a hunk of jazz.
Best to all,
Bebop AGE 78
Bebop

[This message has been edited by BEBOP (edited 06-16-2009).]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/16/09 12:01 PM

Outstanding, Ian, as usual... very tasteful arrangement, great use of the SA voices. Makes me kind of wish you had used the T3 to see what THAT is capable of, too...

But Donny.... Donny, Donny, Donny...

Even a 78 year old sweet little old lady recognizes what a jerk you can be. ENOUGH with the 'walking the walk' comments. Listen to the embarrassing PLAYING on your entry. You can 'sing the sing', no doubt about it. But your PLAYING puts you in no better position than most of the amateurs you make jibes against. Compared to Ian's entry (and a few others), you ain't walking NO walk. You are just talking the talk.

Take your own advice. Go practice. And come back and start insulting those who are humbler than you once you CAN play better than them (playing over someone ELSE'S good playing and calling it yours does not count). Perhaps this might be a better use of your time than going back and removing the posts you made so people can no longer understand the responses to it..?

If that WAS you in a good mood after a Yankees win, Lord help us when they lose.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/16/09 12:31 PM

Thanks Bebop and Diki...I appreciate your fine comments.

Diki, I used the S900 because it is more representative of what I sound like playing "live".

I still have the Tyros3 here...I'll see if I can squeeze a tune out of it before the deadline, but I may wait till the next e-jam and some different music...I'm also pretty busy doing clinics, although it should slow down over the summer months.

Thanks again.
Posted by: Pacesetter

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/16/09 01:17 PM

Quote:

But Donny.... Donny, Donny, Donny...

Even a 78 year old sweet little old lady recognizes what a jerk you can be. ENOUGH with the 'walking the walk' comments. Listen to the embarrassing PLAYING on your entry. You can 'sing the sing', no doubt about it. But your PLAYING puts you in no better position than most of the amateurs you make jibes against. Compared to Ian's entry (and a few others), you ain't walking NO walk. You are just talking the talk.

Take your own advice. Go practice. And come back and start insulting those who are humbler than you once you CAN play better than them (playing over someone ELSE'S good playing and calling it yours does not count). Perhaps this might be a better use of your time than going back and removing the posts you made so people can no longer understand the responses to it..?

If that WAS you in a good mood after a Yankees win, Lord help us when they lose.

Quote from Chubby Checker's Limbo Rock to Diki

Limbo lower now
Limbo lower now
How low can you go?????

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/16/09 01:24 PM

Diki,

That last post was very uncalled for and talk about calling the kettle black! You are the main reason myself and so many other people have stayed away from the SZ due to your constant rhetoric. Now again you feel the need to come down on Dnj as if your the king of the music world which obviously you are so far from that. At least Dnj posted a song in the ejam, where is yours ?
I try to come here for enjoyment & learning more then I now know but you have severely made that impossible with your continuing BS sorry to say. Please grow up, it's getting very boring.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/16/09 01:27 PM

IAN.....VERY,VERY NICE Music...You are Very talented as So many on the Zone...Sincerely, Harold

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/16/09 01:37 PM

Thanks very much, Harold, I appreciate your compliments.

I still wish I could sing as well as Donny, Cassp, Bill, Eddie, Beachbum, Beakybird, and others who have put up some fine vocals on this forum...I sing because I have to...necessary when trying to get a song I've written across to someone else...these guys sing because they love it, and it shows.

Ian

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/16/09 01:38 PM

Ian,
to my ears, ou sound exactly how a professional should sound.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/16/09 01:49 PM

I hate saying this, but - DIKI, TAKE YOUR BADMOUTHING ELSEWHERE! We've been moving along smoothly and don't need ANYONE disrespecting others.

I am very pleased that the rest of us have overlooked the crude remarks of late and are focusing on the task at hand - the eJam. BTW, did I tell you, Ian, that you did a great job.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/16/09 02:03 PM

Unreal post, Diki...

Just when IMO, a few guys were starting to consider giving you a second look, you post something like that. Whatever high ground Donny handed you, you just gave right back.

Whatever level of technical knowledge you've shown here has just been blasted out of the water by this post. For a guy who's seemingly so smart, I don't understand how you hit the enter key? There was no need to respond like that, except for you to get your jollies. It went WAY over the line.

I'm not a Diki apologist, nor am I a Donny apologist. Both you guys have posted comments that make BOTH of you look rather foolish and rude. This forum, this thread isn't about either one of you. Its about all of us trying to enjoy each other's music. The BS comments, put downs, teen age crap is really a turnoff.

It almost appears neither of you can control yourselves. Posts have been deleted again, rude, pointed, smartass comments have come from both of you.

You are both pieces of work, full of crap in your own special ways...Take a hike or grow up and act like an adult...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/16/09 07:40 PM

Here's goes with my rendition(s) of "The Nearness of You"

The first is played on the Clavinova CVP 307. I start with about a 17 bar intro of an Oscar Peterson Piano Solo Transcription then segue into the tune using Modern Jazz Ballad Style. I don't have any business posting the Peterson transcription,( but I'm doing it anyway) it's been many years since I learned it and piano chops ain't what they use to be. Forgive me Mr. Peterson. http://www.4shared.com/file/112342802/a1ab8995/Nearness_PianoSolo_and_Arranger.html

Ian had a bit of inspiration when it came to the 2nd rendition. I'm using the Pa2xPro and a style I purchased from a Korg site that was created for playing Besame Mucho. http://www.4shared.com/file/112342767/8cc79da1/Nearness_of_You__SM_KORGPa2xPro.html

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 06-16-2009).]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/16/09 07:47 PM

Stephen-The audio file asks for a password to listen to.

What do we use?

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/16/09 07:54 PM

Quote:
Stephen-The audio file asks for a password to listen to.

What do we use?

Bill I'll re-link the files so no password is needed.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/16/09 08:18 PM

Stephen-

1st version: I loved your piano work as well as the style of the tune. You've joined me and Cass in the Lounge! The piano sounded awesome! Can you talk about from 2:37 or so and on as I had a little trouble following meter. Were you playing with the time there or what?

2nd version: It was also very nice, but IMO, not as interesting as the first version...

Which one do you prefer and why, Steve?

I really enjoyed your piano work alot...Good feeling and technical skills...

Really glad you posted your work...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 06-16-2009).]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/16/09 08:31 PM

Quote:
Stephen-

1st version: I loved your piano work as well as the style of the tune. You've joined me and Cass in the Lounge! The piano sounded awesome! Can you talk about from 2:37 or so and on as I had a little trouble following meter. Were you playing with the time there or what?

2nd version: It was also very nice, but IMO, not as interesting as the first version...

Which one do you prefer and why, Steve?

I really enjoyed your piano work alot...Good feeling and technical skills...

Really glad you posted your work...

Thanks Bill.

Bill bit of user error in the section after 2:37.

Despite liking the Korg Style better imho it's not as appropriate as the Yamaha Modern Jazz Ballad for that tune. I prefer the first for several reasons, piano is really my instrument and playing a graded 88 key action can't be beat for my taste. Personally I just can't play as expressively using an arranger as I can on the Clav or an acoustic piano.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/16/09 09:26 PM

Stephen -
1. Thank you posting those two versions of The Nearness of You. They were both very well performed and pleasing to the ear.
2. Since you posted two simultaneously, it begs for choice or comparison. I like #2, the Korg version better.
3. The Clavinova version seems a little too slow for me, but it is clear you love to play that stand-alone. Great job.
4. The Korg version gives the listener a chance to hear the voices of your aranger - which I think is a big plus. I like the left hand sounds, but thought the clave' was a little prominent in the sparse rhythm. Otherwise, this too is an excellent rendition of our first classic song.

Thanks so much for taking the time to record both versions. Just FYI, I can't help but sing the words even as I listen to others play. Your phrasing made it easy for me to do that.

Two thumbs up!

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/17/09 12:20 AM

What an utter lack of spine...

If you have the cojones to post it, have the cojones to leave it up for others to understand the response.

And, I'm sorry, John, but if you felt Donny's remarks WERE appropriate (obviously, even HE doesn't see it that way now), I have about as much time for you as you have for me.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/17/09 05:55 AM

Steven I really enjoyed your songs.
Very well done with much feeling it was a pleasure to listen. Thank you for posting.

What I didn't enjoy was the way this Diki character continually feels the need to ruin this threads atmosphere & purpose for everyone..

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/17/09 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
Here's goes with my rendition(s) of "The Nearness of You"

Great job on both, Steve, and I really liked the intro to the CVP version....excellent piano playing.

I've made a Jazz Ballad style, on the S900, for a lot of the old standard ballads...did my own intros and endings, and stole parts from styles, I don't even remember, to make the Variations...here's the link to it and, of course for any others who have S900 or Tyros2/3 or CVP.

It is an orchestral type ballad.

http://www.4shared.com/file/112432704/ecb18735/LateNightJazz_IMN.html

Tyros2/3 owners should change the OTS to the respective sounds on their instrument, and I'm not sure if all the S900 OTS will work on your CVP, but you can them...hope you find it handy.

Again, nice work and thanks for sharing...the PA2XPro sounds great.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/17/09 08:07 AM

Diki...
What an utter lack of respect for Cass and the purpose of this thread. Donny left. Take it outside.

Steve...
Both of your submissions are interesting and show your versatility. I, too, prefer the Korg version probably because the loose jazz feel of the other is not as structured as the kind of jazz feel I would put to it.

I am interested in how you recorded the Korg piece. On this end, it sounded a bit over-compressed....which is a problem I have had with some things I have recorded on a Zoom and using Gold Wave.

Steve...thanks for putting in your two submissions and adding such variety to those already here.

Eddie

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/17/09 08:32 AM

Cass, John , Ian and Eddie thank you.

Quote:
Great job on both, Steve, and I really liked the intro to the CVP version....excellent piano playing.

It is an orchestral type ballad.

http://www.4shared.com/file/112432704/ecb18735/LateNightJazz_IMN.html

Again, nice work and thanks for sharing...the PA2XPro sounds great.

Ian thanks for the kudos and the style. I've got an s900 so I'll be able to voice the CVP from what I hear.

Quote:
Originally posted by btweengigs:
I am interested in how you recorded the Korg piece. On this end, it sounded a bit over-compressed....which is a problem I have had with some things I have recorded on a Zoom and using Gold Wave.

Eddie, I recorded the Korg version using the built the board's built in mp3 recorded, it was recorded at 256kbps.

The CVP version was first recorded as a midi file then played back recording with the Zoom H4n in mp3 mode at 320kbps.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/17/09 08:44 AM

Quote:
The CVP version was first recorded as a midi file then played back recording with the Zoom H4n in mp3 mode at 320kbps.

The recording was great, Steve...the Zoom is awesome...sounded as good as a Wav.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/17/09 08:55 AM

Great Job Stephen and Ian.

I'm thinking of doing black horse just havent had the time. Lifes been hectic!!

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.balloonanimal.com
www.jokevid.com

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/17/09 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mikey_maestro:

Mike I would love to hear your version of Black Horse. It hasn't been done here yet & I for one just was introduced to it when the jam started here.....nice tune.What would be a good S900 style to you with it?
Posted by: DonM

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/17/09 09:45 AM

I have really enjoyed all the songs so far. I'll try to record something before it's over. I've just been covered up in "stuff" to do. There's sure a lot of talent here.
DonM

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/17/09 09:55 AM

Don.... Like Delbert says..."There's just too much stuff".
Eddie

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/17/09 12:50 PM

Tasty...tasty..tasty, Ian. Chas says to say hello. He said it would be a pleasure to meet you someday.

R.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/17/09 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Tasty...tasty..tasty, Ian. Chas says to say hello. He said it would be a pleasure to meet you someday.

R.

Thank you very kindly Russ...those words mean a lot coming from an accomplished musician such as yourself.

Chas...I miss his wit and wisdom around SZ...I hope he doesn't stay away for too long.

I would consider it an honor to meet Chas AND you someday in the future.

Lest I forget, a big "thank you" to Trident and Cassp....I appreciate your kind words.

Ian the Grateful

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/17/09 01:29 PM

Let me have your e-mail addy John DiLeo and I'll send you the style file for Blach Horse etc etc...
RMepstead@btinternet.com

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/17/09 01:50 PM

Steve....Excellent Two Songs My Friend!...Yamaha and Korg Sounding Great...Sincerely, Harold

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/17/09 01:54 PM

Cassp....Thanks again for doing this...It's Great coming Home from work and hearing these Musicians Songs!!!...Harold

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/17/09 05:51 PM

Ian,
Loved your rendition of the
"Nearness of you",and
thank you, for both your styles,
which I have down loaded.

If you have any tweaked hammond sounds,
for the psr-s900 that you may not mind
sharing, I would be very greatfull to receive them. I have spent a lot of time
trying, but they don't sound right.
I realise it may take a lot of your time,
and will understand if you are reluctant
to part with them.
Regards
Fred Wren

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/17/09 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Retired:
If you have any tweaked hammond sounds,
for the psr-s900 that you may not mind
sharing, I would be very greatfull to receive them.

Fred,

I mainly work from the drawbars, but I usually use the the first four bars (from the left) pulled out, and sometimes I'll add the 2 2/3 harmonic for a bit of bite.

I also use the Preset organs: Cool, Jazz Organ, and Full Rocker

No matter where you start from, the most effective thing I find, is to make sure the Rotary Speaker is Rotary Speaker 5...it seems to be the most realistic (to me) Leslie emulation.

Just press MIXING CONSOLE, until the Panel Part is on screen, tab over to EFFECT, and you can select the Rotary type by pressing button F.

I hope this helps a bit.

Ian

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/17/09 06:34 PM

Ian,
Thank you for the information, which
I have printed out.
I will experiment to morrow,
Thursday.
Regards
Fred Wren
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/18/09 06:44 PM

Catching up with EVERYTHING after being away for a month has been daunting to say the least, especially when we have out of town friends coming in the first weekend after we got back!!! ... and I'm just catching up with this thread ...

First of all, THANK YOU cass for getting it started, and for getting past the initial 'speed bumps' ... GREAT JOB ...

And ... WOW ... I'm IMPRESSED ...

First, let me say that when I started reading this thread I was getting DEpressed ... but then the BS by the BSers stopped and I started to hear some music ...
I have THOROUGHLY enjoyed all of the renditions of the two songs that have been performed ...
... I am not going to name names for fear of forgetting someone, but NICE GOING guys ...

Let's face it ... none of us is going to have platinum records, or be able to charge $300.00 a ticket for a concert...
But, there is a lot of talent out there, and obviously we love what we do ... and let's face something else ... most of us, if not all who contributed, are or have been (although there are NO has-beens in this crowd ) 'gigging' musicians, who have brought countless hours of joy to the public through the years ... and will for many to come ...
I commend and thank all of you who have contributed ... it's not easy to 'lay yourself out' in front of your peers, but you did so, admirably well ...
Hopefully this thread and others like it will continue here on the ZONE, because THIS is what it REALLY is all about ... SHARING OUR GOD GIVEN TALENT ...
I am going to try to 'catch up' the next week or so, and maybe I'll get to 'lay MYSELF' out for all of you ...

Again, nice work, and let's keep it going ...

Thank you,
t.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/19/09 12:01 AM

Quote:
Diki...
What an utter lack of respect for Cass and the purpose of this thread. Donny left. Take it outside.

Oh, I see... If you go back and edit your posts out, it's 'no harm, no foul'?

Yeah, right! I'm SURE if I did that, you would all be FINE with it, eh? The ONE person who has had disrespect for this thread since its' inception has been Donny... of course, you MIGHT not know that if you can't either a) be bothered to remember what he posted in the first place, and b) don't quote him to make sure he doesn't 'hit and run'.

If Donny had the testicular fortitude to leave his posts up (I mean, most of us read them...) you would see a 'call and response' to this. But edit out the 'call' (and everybody nods and winks at this behavior) and the 'response' makes the responder look like the jerk.

I simply don't understand where you guys are coming from. It is the HIGHT of bad netiquette to flame and then edit out the post (and go off on another thread about 'Who? ME?'). But if you condone that behavior without comment, allow me to pay you the same degree of attention. That is, none.

This forum might return to civility if you police ALL members equally. But while you condone it from some, and condemn it from others, it has NO effect at all. Other than to broadcast the hypocrisy of it, anyway.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/19/09 08:19 AM

. and now, back to the music???
t.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/19/09 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
. and now, back to the music???
t.

That would be a great idea, Tony.
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/19/09 08:38 AM

Quote:
....then edit out the post....

Nigel, what about remove the delete/edit functions for a while, start with 6 months, then
just forget to add it back again.
That would maybe make us think twice before post, and also me to use the spellchecker.
If we post something who don't look right or totally wrong spelled, we can simply add a
"correction post".
Personally I think this edit/delete function should have been removed years ago.

Cheers
GJ

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/19/09 11:16 AM

Only the one member is abusing this feature, Gunnar. It seems a shame to spoil it for the rest of the membership just for one guy. Simple fix is to simply quote him as soon as he posts it, if it is objectionable. Then there really won't be any POINT in removing the post...

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/19/09 01:20 PM

I have tried to voice my feelings on the "post and run" tactics used recently...

Its no secret I've tried in a objective way to call out the conduct I've found most offensive to the forum.

I would suggest that each of you pretend the other one does not exist and more forward...

You both have lots to contribute in the end,...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 06-19-2009).]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/19/09 04:48 PM

Quote:
I would suggest that each of you pretend the other one does not exist and more forward...You both have lots to contribute in the end,...

Counselor that suggestion is already in play, thank you for your concern.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/19/09 04:53 PM

Done...

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/19/09 05:23 PM

I hope so, as I bet 99% of the guys on here do also. Your combined experience, knowledge, etc. is formidable.

Two great resources that should be utilized whenever possible...

Kudos to you both for a fresh start...good luck...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/19/09 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mikey_maestro:

C'mon Mikey, I really want to give it a try too. I'd love to hear your version. I've got a SMF of it, but would like to try doing it with styles. Let me know what kind of style you plan to use, maybe it will break my mental log jam - I've been messing with some kinf of funky style...

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/20/09 04:21 PM

Hi Cass.

Here my humble contribution to SZ e JAM.
"The nearness of you" recorded in one shot from S900 direct to pen drive .
Style: Modern Jazz
Tempo: 140
Voices: Big Band Sax and Piano. http://www.4shared.com/file/113133559/a2f526c1/The_nearness_of_you.html

Cheers
Chico

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/20/09 04:35 PM

Nice job, Chico...Thanks for sharing that...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/20/09 04:46 PM

Chico,
Wow that was really enjoyable. Well played with so much feeling. That was a perfect jazzy style you chose for this tune also. There is so much great talent here on SZ I'd better start practicing more & more.

Thank you

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/20/09 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChicoBrasil:

Here my humble contribution to SZ e JAM.
"The nearness of you" recorded in one shot from S900 direct to pen drive .
Cheers
Chico

I like this, Chico...simple but very effective...it breathes...the phrasing is natural and smooth, as if this tune is second nature for you to play.

Very nicely done.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/20/09 07:38 PM

YO DUDE,
that is my kinda jazz. I liked it a bunch.
thanks mucho for bringing it in.
Best to ya and all the list members.
Peace and TRUCE to all here
Bebop

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/20/09 10:56 PM

Chico, I could listen to your style of playing all day.
Thank you for sharing .
Fred Wren

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/20/09 10:57 PM

Chico, I could listen to your style of playing all day.
Thank you for sharing .
Fred Wren

[This message has been edited by Retired (edited 06-20-2009).]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/20/09 11:18 PM

Nigel, would you please remove
one of my double posts.
Thank you
Fred Wren

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/21/09 06:44 AM

Chico...Excellent...Great playing My Friend...Harold

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/21/09 10:05 AM

Chico - that's great stuff!!! This is exactly what the eJam is to be about - everyone playing the same song(s) in their own style. And that is the great part of this. I haven't heard two versions of either song that sound the same.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/21/09 11:07 AM

After hearing the great "lounge-jazz" arrangements of Bill, Steve, Cass and Chico...I got inspired to try a style that fits in that groove: This version incorporates the Slow Fox and Bebop styles off the PSR 3K.

Simple one take, piano, drums, bass rendition. http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view.php?id=1238105&da=y

Eddie

[This message has been edited by btweengigs (edited 06-21-2009).]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/21/09 11:59 AM

It asks for passwords etc.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/21/09 12:12 PM

Sorry gang. I am having little luck with the file sharing services. Let's try this: http://www.box.net/shared/mce5oo8ca6

Eddie

[This message has been edited by btweengigs (edited 06-21-2009).]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/21/09 03:09 PM

Chico ... always enjoy listening to your music ... really nice job on this one ...
t.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/21/09 03:51 PM

Fantastic, Eddie!!! I could sense the aroma of cigars and spiled whiskey, and imagine the clanging of plates filled with prime rib and baked potatoes. That was a real lounge interpretation. I notice that the instrumental versions are more uptempo than the vocal versions - why is that?

Two weeks to go and we're still waiting to hear from a few "promises." And we still have room for many more players and singers.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/21/09 04:29 PM

NIce work Eddie,
thanks a bunch for sharing a great club style. I loved it. My kinda stuff too
Best to ya,
Bebop

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/21/09 05:51 PM

Quote:
I notice that the instrumental versions are more uptempo than the vocal versions - why is that?

Cass
Prior to the eJam I did not do either of the two songs I have submitted...but I now have set up several registrations in my keyboard in order to play either in different styles. Sometimes I sings 'em...sometimes I just go instrumental. The Nearness of You is getting GREAT response at my gigs...regardless of style, instrumental or vocal.

In addition to being able to enjoy other members' interpretations of the songs, the eJam has been an inspiration, learning tool and music stimulus package (sorry Mr. President) for me.

Eddie

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/22/09 06:29 AM

Quote:
I notice that the instrumental versions are more uptempo than the vocal versions - why is that?

I think the 'sentiment' behind the lyrics of "Nearness" leads to slower vocal versions....
t.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/22/09 06:33 AM

Eddie... that was cool ... what KB did you use? ... is the 'drum solo' part of the style?
thmx,
t.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/22/09 07:26 AM

Eddie love the bebop style....great job. I'm glad someone really gets it!!

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/22/09 07:50 AM

Quote:
Fantastic, Eddie!!! I could sense the aroma of cigars and spiled whiskey, and imagine the clanging of plates filled with prime rib and baked potatoes.

Ditto.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/22/09 07:59 AM

Eddie,

An absolutely superb job, my friend...love the use of the Bebop style and the drum breaks....truly a beautiful arrangement.

Ian

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/22/09 08:05 AM

Fun version, Eddie...

Well done...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/22/09 08:20 AM

Chico, you "swing lightly"!

Great stuff!

R.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/22/09 10:34 AM

http://www.box.net/shared/55zlkxgr2m

Okay, I decided to enter this tune...This is just the way I would play it as a request on the job...No game plan, No chart...and mistakes that I like to call inflections..

It is more dance oriented , than a vocal arrangement..

needless to say..no overdubs..

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/22/09 11:06 AM

NICE WORK!
I am dancing, even before breakfast.
I really liked the into and ending.
thot the reverb was a tad much in the first half of the song. Maybe I need to check my EQ
Nice arrangement
thanks for sharing Fran,
Bebop Bill

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/22/09 11:36 AM

Quote:

Okay, I decided to enter this tune...This is just the way I would play it as a request on the job...No game plan, No chart...and mistakes that I like to call inflections..

Excellent Fran....nice job with the G70 Piano,Scats,& Organ too WOW really impressed!

Thanx

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-22-2009).]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/22/09 11:37 AM

Good to hear you, Fran the Man. Welcome to the 'lounge'. I really like your version, good job with the piano and scat voices. So, what style did you use?

Great job, thanks.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 06-22-2009).]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/22/09 01:56 PM

Enjoyable, Fran...next round's on me....

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/22/09 02:16 PM

Quote:

Okay, I decided to enter this tune...

Well...it's about time!

The G70 sounds great, Fran, especially the piano...intriguing arrangement, and interesting chords and voicing.

Thanks for sharing, buddy.

Ian
Posted by: pasadoble

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/23/09 12:11 AM

Nicely played Fran...great sounds and that Fran special touch...top man 10/10

Quote:

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/23/09 03:57 AM

Ok here's my offering...actually I've bent the rules a bit as I decided to turn the arranger off and be totally different and try a bit of Tatum'esque reharmonisation based on the Nearness of You structure...it was chucked together so it's not up to my expectations but it gives you an idea of how and what I like to play when I'm not gigging.....hope you enjoy it.
http://www.box.net/shared/n0i08ht3f8

Rgds

Noel J

[This message has been edited by pasadoble (edited 06-23-2009).]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/23/09 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pasadoble:
Ok here's my offering...actually I've bent the rules a bit as I decided to turn the arranger off and be totally different and try a bit of Tatum'esque reharmonisation based on the Nearness of You structure...it was chucked together so it's not up to my expectations but it gives you an idea of how and what I like to play when I'm not gigging.....hope you enjoy it.

Rgds

Noel J
http://www.box.net/shared/qytqxv9jai

Noel, Nice twist on Nearness, very Tatum'esque as y ou say. What brand of keyboard or piano are you playing it on?

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/23/09 06:42 AM

Hi thanks for asking, its a Roland PF4...lovely to play, has the Roland Alpha keybed...has arranger functions but not keen on them...I'm more a pianist than an arranger player but use a S900 gigging...actually redone it as the orignal one I did was a bit short although prefered some of the Tatum chord changes in the first one.

Cheers
Noel

Quote:
Noel, Nice twist on Nearness, very Tatum'esque as y ou say. What brand of keyboard or piano are you playing it on?

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/23/09 07:22 AM

Noel-

When can you come to Dayton and gave me some lessons?

Terrific!!!

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/23/09 07:33 AM

Wow Noel! Fantastic playing. By my calculations Noel has 11 fingers......on his right hand.
Eddie

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/23/09 07:34 AM

Love to give you a few lessons Bill not that you need them...never been to the States! perhaps it's time to come and make a few friends..

Rgds Noel

PS
I actually had an ex pupil who moved over to the USA a few years ago...Jacey Langford, married a sax player called Walter Cross, she was playing for a while on the Missisipi steamers, she's in New Carolina playing at various venues...anybody know her ?

Quote:
Noel-

When can you come to Dayton and gave me some lessons?

Terrific!!!

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/23/09 07:34 AM

Noel, WOW!!

Certainly the best was saved for last unless Diki or Russ ever decide to offer a song in this eJAM which I would love to hear. That was the best entry I have heard here so far! Bravo, what a wonderful rendition of this beautiful song played with such feeling and musical expertise. I only wish I could play like that now I have to go practice more & more as I'm really inspired by this.

Thank you

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/23/09 07:46 AM

Hi John and thanks but its just hours of practice....were all capable of playing well if you put your mind to it...wish I could pop in to all you guys and show you how it's done...we're all good in our own special way...I just have my own style that rely's on few tricks to impress.

No doubt someone will out do me...thats the nature of being a musician...there is always someone who can play better.

Take care guys...off to practice again.

Noel

Quote:
Noel, WOW!!

Certainly the best was saved for last unless Diki or Russ ever decide to offer a song in this eJAM which I would love to hear. That was the best entry I have heard here so far! Bravo, what a wonderful rendition of this beautiful song played with such feeling and musical expertise. I only wish I could play like that now I have to go practice more & more as I'm really inspired by this.

Thank you

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/23/09 08:17 AM

Wow, Noel, that's fantastic! The country club called and asked where you were hiding... . This is a step above lounge music in my neck of the woods. Very enjoyable. Thanks so much for adding your talents to the eJam.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/23/09 08:18 AM

Noel, that was a superb! It was innovative and a sensitive interpretation...proof that variations on a lead line can result in something remarkable.

I'm a FAN!

Russ

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/23/09 08:43 AM

Come on guys I'm feeling all embarrased now !!! off to play my special piano style tonight a Pizza Express restaurant in the south of the UK, will go with my head held high, now added this to my this program.

Thanks to all again for the kind comments.

Rgds

Noel

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Noel, that was a superb! It was innovative and a sensitive interpretation...proof that variations on a lead line can result in something remarkable.

I'm a FAN!

Russ

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/23/09 08:53 AM

Very nicely done...

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/23/09 10:22 AM

Noel ... you raised the bar with this one ...
thank you,
t.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/23/09 10:25 AM

Quote:
Come on guys I'm feeling all embarrased now !!! off to play my special piano style tonight a Pizza Express restaurant in the south of the UK, will go with my head held high, now added this to my this program.

Thanks to all again for the kind comments.

Rgds

Noel

... at a PIZZA EXPRESS ?!?!? .... AMAZING !!!
t.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/23/09 10:41 AM

Very well arranged, and played with confidence, style, and lots of feeling.

If your arranger playing is even half as good as your pianistic ability, you are a force to reckoned with.

Great job, Noel.

Ian

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/23/09 11:06 AM

yup, this is the one.
I am totally impressed.
I do recall that we used to play this style of jazz in the supper clubs back in the good old DAZE.
I don't think I can cut it anymore but I love to hear it,
Thanks for sharing,
Bebop
Posted by: msutliff

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/23/09 11:38 AM

Hey Noel,

I sent your offering over to the Music Library here on campus (U of Minnesota) where they play musical pieces via their PA out in the courtyard throughout the day. Your excellent piece will be in the rotation for the rest of the day....probably get played at least once an hour. There's your 4-hours of stardom here in MN.

-mike

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/23/09 11:43 AM

Mike, that's real cool - and thought ful.

BTW - Do you know Bob Sorem from UM? He's a player and a midi file maker. Worth checking him out.
Posted by: jwyvern

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/23/09 02:33 PM

Noel, All I can add is that your playing was "something else!"
Since I haven't listened to much of Tatum's actual work it's more reminiscent for me of Oscar Petersen who I used to study closely when he was on TV for the voicings used - not too successfully unfortunately!

Not just practice required - didn't you need to develop the paddle hands necessary to stretch for some of those open chords too?
Fabulous.

John

[This message has been edited by jwyvern (edited 06-23-2009).]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/23/09 06:29 PM

One Word.....SUPERB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...Harold

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/24/09 01:35 AM

Thanks for all the wonderful comments and get air time on campus was beyond all my expectations...when you play a lot and as time goes by you just accept it's what you do and do not think of it as anything special..so I thank all of you for making me realise all my hard work was not in vain..
You do need big hands to stride 10th's easily I have managed to stretch my left hand over time...

Hopefully my post will not prevent more people posting...still would like to hear some more renditions.

Rgds

Noel...

[This message has been edited by pasadoble (edited 06-24-2009).]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/24/09 01:46 AM

Quote:

Hopefully my post will not prevent more people posting...still would like to hear some more renditions.

Rgds

Noel...

OK Noel, you've convinced me

Hi All,
Here's my instrumental/orchestral version of Nearness on Ty3 which includes SA2 and custom voices. Hardly anything out-of-the-box.

Quick-recorded (meaning played at once, not multitracked) to midi first, using registrations to change setups for the different sections.

The middle section of piano/strings/flutes was played full keyboard (piano fashion) to get the more open sounds and embellishments without being hampered by split points.

I use a Yamaha P85 as the keyboard for Ty3 as controller and prefer the weighted feel for all arranger playing.
http://www.box.net/shared/1f9kbi083c

Congratulations cassp and supporters for keeping this thread on the road.

John - UK Home User

[This message has been edited by jwyvern (edited 06-24-2009).]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/24/09 04:07 AM

Beautiful version...Liked the variety of voices....

The T3 Clari is great...

Thanks for sharing that with us...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/24/09 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jwyvern:
Here's my instrumental/orchestral version of Nearness on Ty3 which includes SA2 and custom voices. Hardly anything out-of-the-box.

Quick-recorded (meaning played at once, not multitracked) to midi first, using registrations to change setups for the different sections.

John, this is excellent...sounds exactly like a big band...very well played and arranged...I like this even more than Noel's version...probably because you are using the "arranger" rather than a piano, but also, I'm a "melody" man and prefer to hear the crux of the tune rather than improvisations...but that's just my preference, Noel's version was still very, very good.

Fine work, my friend...very impressive, and even more so, considering it is a "quick record" which is basically how one would hear this tune if you just sat down and played it for them "live".

You definitely raised the bar again for instrumental versions of this great old ballad.

Ian

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/24/09 05:26 AM

Where's Fred and Ginger??? Wow, I'm totally blown away, John. The mellowness and musicality of this rendition is impeccable. This is ballroom stuff. The clarinet is out of sight!

I am so impressed by all of the posts of music to date. Some of you have been hiding your talents form us for way too long. It seems that Nearness has really 'struck a chord' with us all. I can't go thru the day without humming this melody and thinking of the words. Thanks so much for all your talents and efforts.

We still have a good week to go and we are still waiting to hear from a few of YOU. Don't disappoint us now. You know who you are, so get that taape rolling and those fingers moving.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/24/09 08:48 AM

Very LUSH arrangement ... beautifully done ... all the instruments sounds GREAT !!!

I have been quite impressed by the variety of interpretations of this song ...

as I said in an earlier post - "there is a LOT of talent out there" ...

t.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/24/09 11:24 AM

So Very Pretty
thank you for sharing your fine talent!
These are really fine sounds you have created.
Best regards,
Bebop

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/24/09 12:10 PM

I guess now there's no doubt that the T3 is the best sounding arranger on the market after listening to this? Super performance John!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-24-2009).]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/24/09 01:08 PM

John (Noel)....Another SURPERB!!!!!!!! Harold

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/24/09 01:17 PM

Wow.........I keep coming home from work everyday and clicking on the Zone, and I hear all This Wonderful Talent playing just one song in their own way!....It's GREAT..
I was expecting it from the likes of Fran,Donny,(Examples) and all the people who use the Forum often...But All This New Talent is submitting their Music as well...Thanks Everyone!...And thanks again Cassp...My Friend......Harold

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/24/09 01:51 PM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK Noel, you've convinced me

Hi All,

The middle section of piano/strings/flutes was played full keyboard (piano fashion) to get the more open sounds and embellishments without being hampered by split points.

I use a Yamaha P85 as the keyboard for Ty3 as controller and prefer the weighted feel for all arranger playing. http://www.box.net/shared/1f9kbi083c

Congratulations cassp and supporters for keeping this thread on the road.

John - UK Home User

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John,
That is soothing, relaxing, and beautiful.
Thank you for sharing,
Fred Wren.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/24/09 02:19 PM

Bill, Ian, cassp, Tony, Bebop, Donny, Harold, Fred,

Thanks for taking the time to post such encouraging comments. They are much appreciated

John

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/24/09 02:21 PM

http://www.box.net/shared/5z8o67yx2d

Donny, John did a great job utilizing the Tyros3 arranger capabilities....but the best sounding arranger is in the ears of the beholder....I prefer the more "realistic" "LIVE" sound, that Roland , Korg and Ketron deliver..

We have several examples of arranger turned off, and technical skilled player...another (several) making the most of arranger mode and simplicity melody or light comping..and one or two that used both..arranger backing and full 2 hand play...

We also have some great vocal examples with arranger/seq backing...

I just offer another take with this tune....enjoy...

Is this month almost over..so we can get to "lady of Spain"..

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/24/09 02:32 PM

Quote:
[
I just offer another take with this tune....enjoy...

Is this month almost over..so we can get to "lady of Spain"..

Very nice Fran...are you playing over a commercial Midi file (SMF)?

Organ sounds terrific....nice playing, too.

Ian

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/24/09 02:39 PM

Quote:
I prefer the more "realistic" "LIVE" sound, that Roland , Korg and Ketron deliver..

We have several examples of arranger turned off, and technical skilled player...another (several) making the most of arranger mode and simplicity melody or light comping..and one or two that used both..arranger backing and full 2 hand play...

We also have some great vocal examples with arranger/seq backing...

Well Fran we all have our favorites I still think the Tyros3 is hard to beat sound wise. I also enjoyed you latest entry too well done. I'm trying to find the chart for Lady of Spain just in case also.

Cass do you still think the best is yet to come from SZ member waiting for the end? Also could you put the links to all the entry songs in one post to make it easier to listen?

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/24/09 02:48 PM

That works for me, Fran. Very nice organ work. Who's playin'that pianee? I won't give away your secret. It's nice to hear another version of Ray's great tune. And the G70 sounds are just as fantastic an any otT3er keyboard I've heard. It's all in the registrations, isn't it...

BTW - Lady of Spain was last month.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 06-24-2009).]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/24/09 03:23 PM

Quote:
I won't give away your secret. It's nice to hear another version of Ray's great tune.

Actually, Cassp, it would be nice when a tune is posted, that the poster at least give a description on how the tune was done, or put together...pretty well every one else has managed to do it so far.

Sharing the music is one thing...sharing how it was done is even better, and makes this thread informative as well as enjoyable.

But, if there needs to be secrets, I suppose we'll just have to understand.

Ian

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/24/09 03:32 PM

Quote:
I guess now there's no doubt that the T3 is the best sounding arranger on the market after listening to this? Super performance John!

[

And you wonder how these pissing contests get started?
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/24/09 03:42 PM

Hi Cassp,
many thanks.

You've done an amazing job in getting members to send in their performances.

The enthusiasm of the members is contagious, to the exent I was almost tempted to send in something myself.
Fortunately common sense took over & I decided stick to my styles . haa haa.

Am really looking forward to next month's Jam.

best wishes
Rikki

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/24/09 07:04 PM

Quote:

Actually, Cassp, it would be nice when a tune is posted, that the poster at least give a description on how the tune was done, or put together...pretty well every one else has managed to do it so far.

Sharing the music is one thing...sharing how it was done is even better, and makes this thread informative as well as enjoyable.

But, if there needs to be secrets, I suppose we'll just have to understand.

Ian

Ian, I did ask the posters to please post such information. We can ask... And Fran's secret is no secret at all; I think we all know that there is a midi file hidden in there somewhere - and the key is hidden. I recognized some parts only because I have a similar file, but Fran completely reworked the instruments and the entire file, and played over it so that it was barely recognizable. Good job.

I think this is what a lot of players can do, especially if they are constantly playing different venues with large demands of different music. Having some well-edited files really helps get thru an otherwise tough evening. At least that's the way it works for me.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/24/09 07:37 PM

Quote:
And you wonder how these pissing contests get started?

DON'T TAKE THE BAIT !!!!!

t.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/24/09 07:48 PM

Quote:
Ian, I did ask the posters to please post such information. We can ask... And Fran's secret is no secret at all; I think we all know that there is a midi file hidden in there somewhere - and the key is hidden. I recognized some parts only because I have a similar file, but Fran completely reworked the instruments and the entire file, and played over it so that it was barely recognizable. Good job.

I think this is what a lot of players can do, especially if they are constantly playing different venues with large demands of different music. Having some well-edited files really helps get thru an otherwise tough evening. At least that's the way it works for me.

Thanks Cassp.

I have heard the same midi file just recently, on another site, so that's why I asked.

It makes no difference to me that someone uses an SMF...we all have our methods...some use MP3, some multitrack, some use styles...they are all legit in my eyes.

I think it's important to share our methods, no matter what they happen to be, because we can all learn from one another...it happens on other brand specific sites, and it is even better when it happens here on SZ, because it has been so rare up until you started this great thread.

To be more specific, I'm not criticizing or intending to criticize anyone's production methods...Donny used an SMF and I did not rebuke or reprimand him; rather I complimented him wholeheartedly...whatever works for one may not be for the other, but when we share our techniques, it does at least show us other possibilities of which we would not be aware.

I'm very glad you started this ejam, and I'm even gladder that so many have shared their wonderful talents and proficiencies that I would not have heard otherwise.

Pissing contests never have any winners at the outcome, and only succeed in giving bad feelings and sometimes resentments...some long brewing, but this thread has made us all victors, and has brought about a nice feeling of comradery rather than outright competitiveness, which used to be the norm.

My sincere thanks for getting this ejam off the ground.

Ian
Posted by: Lucky2Bhere

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/24/09 09:05 PM

My compliments to everyone who submitted many varied versions of my favorite song. I recorded all of them to my hard drive.

May I ask who used MIDI files in some way, shape or form? I'm not condemning MIDI files, just curious about who submitted a completely personal arrangement and who played over a MIDI file?

Lucky

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/25/09 02:15 AM

Quote:
I recognized some parts only because I have a similar file, but Fran completely reworked the instruments and the entire file, and played over it so that it was barely recognizable. Good job.

I.

Cassp, would you please send me the SMF you have of the tune? I have a score reader in my S900 and I would like to see how the arrangement is done, as it is a very nice version of the tune...I might even get a style made from it.

My address is in my profile. Let me know if it's a problem or if it's a go.

Thank you in advance.

Ian

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/25/09 07:31 AM

Quote:
Well Fran we all have our favorites I still think the Tyros3 is hard to beat sound wise. I also enjoyed you latest entry too well done. I'm trying to find the chart for Lady of Spain just in case also.

Cass do you still think the best is yet to come from SZ member waiting for the end? Also could you put the links to all the entry songs in one post to make it easier to listen?

Kind of an OT question for you, JOHN. Have you ever seen the TV show "I've Got a Secret"? I loved the guest celebrity round.

T3, G70, PA2xPro, Audya, they're all great and each has its own set of "best" features. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It takes real moxie to accept the great features of others' favorites and let them stand on their own merits.

As for the individual links in one place - YES I will post them on a website before the end of the month. I need Donny's song to complete the present lineup.

Will the last entry(entries)be the best? Who knows, who cares. I just want to hear as many renditions as possible. I am a little disappointed, though, that a few of our big posters have gone silent. The outpouring of great playing and singing has refreshed this forum, if you ask me. Except for the uncalled for and unfortunate sparring matches this thread has presented the best of SZ - its members - playing a song in their own styles. Maybe its these members who should be spotlighted more often and not the bickering of a few. The eJam puts the spotlight on arranger-based music, just as SZ presents the forum for open arranger-based discussion and learning. We are the most active forum on the SZ. Maybe Nigel should close some of the others and open a new forum in the likness of The Bar, and call it the Bitch Ditch so people could have an open forum to snipe at each other.

Sorry for going off there. I hope I answered your questions.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 06-25-2009).]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/25/09 08:44 AM

Quote:
As for the individual links in one place - YES I will post them on a website before the end of the month. I need Donny's song to complete the present lineup.

I am a little disappointed, though, that a few of our big posters have gone silent.

I had talked to Donny about a week ago via email he was very dissapointed in whats going on here, mostly due to what your refering to Cass. He also said he wouldn't be on here as much anymore either. I so much want to thank him for all his help when ever I asked too. Anyone that thinks Dnj only plays with SMF and not live styles is very misinformed big time also, he is the real deal. All the so called big SZ posters always overtaking posts & then when asked to post a simple song, they disappear or have some stupid excuse, we all know who they are & makes you really wonder eh? I myself will try to enter the next ejam to the best of my playing ability. Thank you Cass for starting this.

[This message has been edited by John DiLeo (edited 06-25-2009).]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/25/09 09:09 AM

Quote:
Anyone that thinks Dnj only plays with SMF and not live styles is very misinformed big time also, he is the real deal.

I myself will try to enter the next ejam to the best of my playing ability. Thank you Cass for starting this.

[

You're right about Donny being the "real deal", John...he doesn't have to take a back seat to anyone here.

He should be doing more instrumentals...we already know what a great voice he has...he should showcase his keyboard abilities more often.

It would be nice to hear you play, John...I do hope you follow up on your statement of posting a tune in the next ejam.

Ian

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/25/09 09:22 AM

Ian,

It would be great to hear Dnj do an instrumental next also. I will surly try also to record a song into my S900. I'm also trying to figure out how to post a song here easily also.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/25/09 11:34 AM

Quote:
Ian,

It would be great to hear Dnj do an instrumental next also. I will surly try also to record a song into my S900. I'm also trying to figure out how to post a song here easily also.

John , what is your email address? I may have a Donny instrumental to send you....

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/25/09 11:45 AM

John - you can always send an mp3, mwa or wav file to me and I will post it on my private, SZ only page. I can then give you the address and you can link to it. Or, as I did with Fred, I wrote the post for him from his email. Never a problem to help a fellow SZer.

Donny - I will only say this one last time - you are too good and too talented to remove yourself from this thread or the SZ. To let someone else goad you into deleting posts and music is unnecessary. You, of all people, should know from your own words that you should let you words and music stand for yourself. It doesn't matter that someone remarked about your song being based on a SMF, what's wrong with that. SMFs are historically of poor quality and what you put out definitely took some time and talent in editing and pre-planning, which is as valuable as any style usage. You've heard all the others remark so positively, so stop acting foolishly and get back into this thing once and for all.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/25/09 12:56 PM

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-27-2009).]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/25/09 01:54 PM

Now, that's a step in the right direction. Thank you for the compliment and thank you again for reposting.

As for others who may or may not post before the deadline - please do so ASAP so that we can hear and respond before the start of the "Lady of Spain" jam.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/25/09 02:42 PM

I have no idea who you guys are referring to with the "non-posting" taunts, but as I quite clearly said.. I did not like the tunes selected. Simple as that. To try and make some-thing out of that is a bit silly really. And is making me re-think about even bothering with posts for next months selection (which I do happen to like btw).

I do not think folks HAVE to post simply because they may make a comment on the thread. It should be free enough and free of adverse comment should someone wait until there are tunes they like. It's not a gig where we HAVE to play a song that we normally would not

And comments making veiled generic criticisms have got to stop. If there is an individual to whom you are referring, say so (or if its 2 or 3 even). But PLEASE stop making "broad brush" comments that unfortunately sweep everyone else up too.

If you have an issue with one person, KEEP it to one person.

Dennis

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/25/09 02:52 PM

Quote:
Well Cass maybe now that some non posting, excuse laden individuals & we all know whom they are, have proven themselves to be as such, of which I knew that all along.One month is more then enough time to post an entry.

Donny...come clean, buddy...who are these "excuse laden individuals who "we all know whom they are"?

I'm one "we" who honestly doesn't know "whom they are".

Is it possible for you to be more vague?

Names, please?

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/25/09 03:14 PM

One step forward, two steps back...

C'mon folks, we have almost 280 posts and 7 pages of this thread, if you haven't read them all, then I suggest you do so. Donny has had this running feud with Diki for some time now. Diki was very critical of Donny and vice versa. I've chided and begged both guys (as have others) to tone down the fireworks; and for the most part they have. I took dnj's remarks to be along those lines; I felt he obviously didn't want to mention names. If I am wrong please correct me. I am not taking sides, just trying to mediate and keep this thread from losing the great momentum it has generated.

Miden, please feel assured nothing was directed toward you or others who have chosen to not participate in this jam. Everything is voluntary and should be as you state. Unfortunately, the early stages of this venture were a little rocky with some jabbing back and forth with some parties - and as I said I'm convinced that's where this latest comment was directed.

I am much elated by the positive response to the concept and music presented on this first eJam. Not everyone will like or perform every or even a single song - that is your perogative. I just hope you listen to, appreciate and support your fellow SZ members in putting their music "out there.'

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/25/09 03:48 PM

Fair enough Cass... I have stated this before though, where posts (intentional or not) on the forum often sweep up more than just the intended recipient because of the generalised nature.

I can understand that the generalisation is meant to avoid degrading the thread into personal battles, but posters of generalised comments must realise the potential collateral damage they cause.

If comments like these were more specific then people ,me for example, would not think they were being included. And as you may agree, it needs to be specific because of the nature of the text medium.

So on to jam #2 , I am looking forward to making a contribution to it. Those songs have not been on my play rotation for a while, but they are still fav's with me. as is ANYTHING Leon!!

Dennis

But I accept what you say.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/25/09 05:01 PM

Points well taken ,Miden.

Oh, didn't you hear? It's gonna be an all-accordion-voice "Lady of Spain" jam, ala FC.

gotcha

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/28/09 03:29 PM

JUST TWO DAYS LEFT. WHO WILL POST OUR FINAL SONGS?

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/30/09 01:28 PM

CAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR ...

t.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/30/09 01:31 PM

LAST ?!?!? ... and maybe LEAST ???

hope this works ... haven't used 4shared before ...
http://www.4shared.com/get/115168897/9d11ead2/Nearness_6_30_09.html

As we say in golf "GRIP IT and RIP IT !!!

t.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/30/09 01:35 PM

Attaboy, Tony!

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/30/09 01:38 PM

BTW ... info ...
technics kn6000 - Rhumba style stripped down to guitar, bass and drums - recorded in "Easy Record", one shot, no post-recording editing ... set 4 Panel Memories with 'voice' registrations
Senn 855 mic
Alesis multimix 6 mixer
ACID PRO 6 software ... no post-recording editing ...
into my DELL PC ...

t.
PS ... my e-mail address is in my profile and all constructive criticism is gladly accepted ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 06-30-2009).]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/30/09 02:08 PM

t - right on with the slow rhumba style. Very smokey feel, I could see the couples dancing so close and pessing up against each other. The instrumental solo was very good and expressive. There certainly is no least, and if there were you wouldn't be...

I'm still waiting one one person who wrote about how to post and maybe one of the regulars, if he makes it.

This has been a great first attempt for all of us. I'll be back with a wrap up.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/30/09 04:05 PM

As we wait for any last minute entries, let me have my semi-final say about eJam 1.

This started out as an idea about a year or more ago. I finally voiced it here on the SZ to see if any of the members here would be willing to post some of thir talent in the form of song. In my five years here I have heard very few music postings.

This was not a contest, but a jam, as similar as we could come to the winter Louisianna Jam, that many of us could not make. The object was to choose a song or three that people would be willing to take a chance on and let us hear their strengths and weaknesses. Surprisingly, there were very few weaknesses, if any and a mountain of strengths. Also surprising was that many of the e-jammers were SZ members who are from the quieter part of the membership - many non-playing (aka pro) keyboardists.

The musicianship was fantastic. The comments very supportive. The overall result, if I say so myself, more than could have been hoped for.

Some members chose not participate in this first session, mainly - I hear - because of the song selection. And that's going to happen. Hopefully future eJams will include something for everyone. Other members were busy with projects or time constraints - well, you can't expect 100% participation in anything, but I feel this #1 eJam was very well represented.

Many members thanked me for doing this. It wasn't me, it was YOU. I only expressed an idea that got tossed around and then came to life. I do not want to be the eJam commissioner, but I do love putting in my 2 cents worth. If anyone feels there is a different way to go about this, please feel free to express yourself.

My feeling for this jam was to ask anyone who belongs to SZ to participate. Some wanted restrictions, like having to use styles, but then we would have missed some very good renditions. So, I feel the less restrictions we have, the more wide open the field.

I hope you enjoyed this first SZ eJam. I have taken the liberty to post all of the entries on a website for easy listening - a special word about Eddie's YouTube link, it doesn't seem to work. Take care and God bless, all.
http://szmembersite.googlepages.com/szmusic

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/30/09 04:36 PM

cass ... thank YOU for 'pushing' this ...as I said in an earlier post, I for one was quite impressed at the talent level ... and I would have LOVED to have heard from more of the members - you KNOW who you are ...

As for restrictions, I think that having no restrictions is a good way for people to showcase how THEY use an arranger kb - whether as a gigging pro, home user, whatever ... if someone wants to present a tune using a SMF then so be it... I could care less ... I'm just interested in hearing what others are doing musically ... - but I WOULD like to know if it is a style or whatever ...

Again, cass, thanks for leading the way, and thanks to all who submitted ...

On to July and jam #2 ...

t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 06-30-2009).]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/30/09 04:57 PM

babylon
Member posted 06-30-2009 01:23 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, What the heck. Here's my version. mistakes and all. T2 with onboard style.
(I know...terrible ending)
babylon http://www.box.net/shared/vh6cyp4g91

IP: Logged

tony mads usa
Member posted 06-30-2009 04:51 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK ... I liked the organ in the background ... is that part of the style, or you playing it as a LH voice?
I'm not crazy about the tempo ... seemed a little too slow and I think that may have messed up your meter/phrasing ...

JMHO ...
t.

I hope you two don't mind me moving this to here - I just wanted to make sure all the entries stayed together.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/30/09 05:15 PM

Jerry - Good to see that you made the deadline and also figured out how to post. I hope you don't mind that I kind of hijacked your thread and moved it over to the eJam thread - I just wanted you to be part of the big picture.

I thought you did a great job on the song. I too want to know about that organ LH. Is that part of the style - what style and what keyboard? Thanks for posting, for sure.
Posted by: babylon

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 06/30/09 07:05 PM

Not at all caspp, I am glad you did. I messed up on how I posted it, I meant to put it in this thread. The keyboard is Tyros2 the style is 6/8 soul as for the organ I revoiced the style changing instrument voicing, thus organ part is part of the style. Recorded in Sonar,and sound forge.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 07/01/09 08:29 AM

Bill and cass ... thnx for listening and commenting ... it's appreciated ...
t.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 07/01/09 08:39 AM

Quote:
LAST ?!?!? ... and maybe LEAST ???

hope this works ... haven't used 4shared before ...
http://www.4shared.com/get/115168897/9d11ead2/Nearness_6_30_09.html

As we say in golf "GRIP IT and RIP IT !!!

t.

Nice Job T love the Rumba!

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 07/01/09 09:21 AM

Tony....
You have excellently captured one of the many moods "Nearness" can evoke. I loved the "lilting" quality of your arrangement and the runs in your right hand. Sweet.

I am not familiar with your KN. I assume you can adjust volumes within a style. I would have like to have heard a tad more of the bass line. Other than that..nothing but accolades for another really nice adaptation of the song.

Eddie

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 07/01/09 09:23 AM

Tony, I echo Cass' thoughts especially seeing the couples on the dance floor. Thanks for posting.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 07/01/09 12:23 PM

Cass
I am gratefull for participate in this pleasant post.
My tks for all SZoners that posted your music, talents, virtues and faults.
The most important point: We knew a lot of musical faces shared here.
I didn't see this as a competition, just a delicious musical salad.
Bravo Cass, tks once more
Chico

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 07/01/09 01:12 PM

Quote:
Tony....
You have excellently captured one of the many moods "Nearness" can evoke. I loved the "lilting" quality of your arrangement and the runs in your right hand. Sweet.

I am not familiar with your KN. I assume you can adjust volumes within a style. I would have like to have heard a tad more of the bass line. Other than that..nothing but accolades for another really nice adaptation of the song.

Eddie

Eddie, Yes, the volume of any voice in a style or SMF can be adjusted, even on-the-fly ... I am used to playing through the Z-5500 with the sub pushing the bass, so perhaps it was a little light in "Nearness" ...

Eddie, Dnj, and Steve ... thank you .....

t.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 07/02/09 08:26 AM

I hope you enjoyed this first SZ eJam. I have taken the liberty to post all of the entries on a website for easy listening - a special word about Eddie's YouTube link, it doesn't seem to work. Take care and God bless, all. http://szmembersite.googlepages.com/szmusic

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 07/02/09 09:28 AM

Quote:
BTW ... info ...
technics kn6000 - Rhumba style(edited 06-30-2009).]

Beautifully done, Tony...it really shows when you know your keyboard well...the KN has as contemporary a sound as the newer ones.

Nicely sung...you created an nice "nite-club type" atmosphere.

Ian

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 07/02/09 09:35 AM

Quote:
babylon
Member posted 06-30-2009 01:23 PM Well, What the heck. Here's my version. mistakes and all. T2 with onboard style.
(I know...terrible ending)

Very nice...I didn't find it too slow...definitely a perfect style.

Well played.

Ian

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 07/02/09 02:14 PM

Ian ... thank you... much appreciated ...
It was pretty reflective of the music I generally play and the venues I play in
t.
Posted by: babylon

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 07/02/09 02:57 PM

Ian

Thanks for the compliment.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 07/02/09 04:34 PM

Tony Mads,
what a beautiful voice you have. It just seems to me that all you Italians were gifted with the pretty voices and the rest of us got what was left over
You play your own backup and did a fine job over all. I really like it,
thank you for sharing,
Bebop

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 07/02/09 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BEBOP:
Tony Mads,
what a beautiful voice you have. It just seems to me that all you Italians were gifted with the pretty voices and the rest of us got what was left over
You play your own backup and did a fine job over all. I really like it,
thank you for sharing,
Bebop

BeBop ... thank you very much ... my wife tells me that about my voice, but I just figured she is biased ..
t.
Posted by: Scott Langholff

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 08/04/09 12:49 AM

Now that I see it's pretty easy to use Box.net, I remembered that I had Nearness Of You on my website, so I thought I'd include that in the ejam for those that have not heard it.

I recorded this on the Tyros 1 in February, 2005 using the easy record feature. I then recorded it on my computer at 2496 in Sound Forge. This was the first or second time I had played this song, which I had heard the Glen Miller band do live under the direction of Buddy Morrow when in college.

http://www.box.net/shared/ue2spqlidm

Scott

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 08/04/09 01:48 AM

Hi Scott,
A nice relaxed version there, with memories of the Tenor Sax from good ole Ty1

If it's permissible to talk about archived versions , I produced one on Ty2 about 3 years ago, sounding somewhat different to the Ty3 version I posted earlier, although in a similar "style".
Quick Recorded to midi, re-recorded as audio on the hard disk recorder and converted to .wma on PC.
http://tinyurl.com/2no78o

John

[This message has been edited by jwyvern (edited 08-04-2009).]

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 08/04/09 04:47 AM

Thanks guys for both entries - it's always better late than never.

Scott, check that embouchere, I think you might need I new reed - lol. Seriously, the song is very nice and smoky sounding; nice playing.

John, very nice orchestral sounds and also good sax playing. Good articulation on the trumpet.

I've saved these with the other Nearness jams, so it's like you were always there and on time.

Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM - 08/04/09 08:56 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys for both entries - it's always better late than never.

I've saved these with the other Nearness jams, so it's like you were always there and on time.

Hi cassp,

It was Scott who inspired me to post the archived Ty2 file at this late time.
It was done originally to illustrate how the OOTB Ty2 trumpet sounds could be improved.

The one made specifically for the ejam was on Ty3 and posted earlier - (it should be in in your list). The original Ty3 file is at :

http://www.box.net/shared/1f9kbi083c

John