SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 31 32 >
Topic Options
#264427 - 05/26/09 05:08 AM ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Announcing the June 2009 SZ eJam. This is not a contest but an expo of the various playing and presentation styles of our SynthZone members. We want to hear YOU. Participants are asked to record an mp3 or video version of one, two or all of the following songs:

Black Horse and a Cherry Tree – KT Tunsall
Here We Go Again - Red Steagall & Don Lanier
The Nearness of You - Hoagy Carmichael & Ned Washington

The rules are very simple:

1. Record the song; post it on an available internet site; post to this thread or start one of your own (please use eJam as part of the title) and include a link to the hosting site.

2. The recording should include the use of some sort of arranger function(s), whatever that may be for you.

3. In your post please give us pertinent information, such as: keyboard/guitar make, styles/tempo used, patches used, recording info, etc…

You can play it instrumentally or with added vocals, using your choice of instrument(s). Play it fancy or plain, straight or creative – you choose. Record it in one take with an antique tape recorder or in multi takes and tracks on Pro Tools – you choose.

You may showcase any or all of the songs. Good luck. We’re looking forward to listening to YOUR rendition of the song(s).

Cass Pawlowski
cassp50@gmail.com

http://www.cassponline.com

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 05-26-2009).]

#264428 - 05/26/09 06:00 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I'm in...

I'll be doing at least one, possibly two songs. "Here We Go Again" and "The Nearness Of You" strike my fancy. I don't know either of them, so I'm starting from scratch with each...

I'm off this weekend, so hopefully my honeydew list will allow me some time...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#264429 - 05/26/09 08:13 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Hi Cass,

I'm in. I'll definitely do The Nearness of You and if I have time also Here We Go Again. I have a couple of really big weddings I'm preparing for in June.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#264430 - 05/26/09 04:36 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
cassp Offline

I'm in, of course. I'll be starting with "Here we Go Again." "Black Horse" is calling me too, just for kicks. Who's next?

#264431 - 05/28/09 05:39 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
cassp Offline

Where's Diki?

#264432 - 05/28/09 12:54 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Thought I was supposed to 'shut up'?!

I am a little disappointed that we couldn't all agree on the ONE tune, that would have made for a far more interesting comparison, but unless work overwhelms me, you'll hear mine when it's done. Not sure which one I want to do, yet. MORE work for me!

#264433 - 05/29/09 08:13 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
cassp Offline

For who?...

Why should I? I'm just trying to keep this post visible until the few brave ones post their songs. As always, you're invited.

#264434 - 05/29/09 08:35 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Don't hold your breath cass.

That was worded just vaguely enough to give you some level of deniability. Why don't you just put the same effort that you put into tweaking you know who and record one of the tunes?

"Nearness" is right up your alley and I suspect you'd do a fine job with it.

Seriously...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 05-29-2009).]

#264435 - 05/29/09 08:54 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
Bill in Dayton Offline

There HAS to be more folks out there who could record one of these tunes and post it. So many people with talent and an appreciation of music.

Donny says this is a good idea in theory but it'll turn hyper critical and morph into a pissing contest, but a LOT of that has to do with being open to others observations. In the past we've had some people who got a little too personal with their comments and they were out of line. We've has some people react so defensively...way over the top stuff, they were wrong too.

I'd suggest look no further than Chico recent post of the One Note Samba. Anyone get slammed? No. Anyone crapping their pants because a listener offered up a mildly critical observation? No...

I'll have something up (hopefully) over the weekend. I suspect some will like it, and some may not. And I'm fine with that.

This takes about a 10th grade level of maturity to pull off.

Please, if you're able...take some time, pick your favorite and work up something. 99% of the members here are genuinely great people and don't take cheap shots.

Don't be dissuaded by anyone who's painting the SZ with far too broad a brush.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#264436 - 05/29/09 09:10 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Nearness of you

Playing on top of a SMF w/Strings/Piano & Vocals......

Recorded via my PC.. Yamaha S900/Mixcraft 4

Great job, Donny...absolutely super vocals...geez, I wish I could sing that good.

Ian

Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 31 32 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online