SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 32 < 1 2 3 4 5 31 32 >
Topic Options
#264447 - 05/29/09 12:12 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Fred, nice approach using the latin style.

#264448 - 05/29/09 01:31 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
Dnj Offline

......;

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-28-2009).]

#264449 - 05/29/09 02:03 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Nearness of you
http://www.donnypesce.com/Nearness%20mp3.mp3

Playing on top of a SMF w/Strings/Piano & Vocals......

Recorded via my PC.. Yamaha S900/Mixcraft 4

One simple question... Is the SMF created by the S900, or was it something you did track by track?

Because, as I read it, all submissions are supposed to be original works, at least in the sense of being arranger derived by oneself, not playing on top of commercial (or third party) SMF's....

Now, don't get me wrong, I am NOT accusing anyone of anything. But I DID want to clear this up. It was stated that the ENTIRE track be your own work, whether a recording of your arranger's output, or a track by track creation. But that NONE of it be third party whatsoever. Or we end up with a karaoke competition, which I think is NOT what was intended...

Don't get mad, Donny. I repeat, I am NOT accusing you of anything. But it would help to be transparent if you could say (and anyone else using SMF's) how the SMF was made...

#264450 - 05/29/09 02:27 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Very pleasant, Fred...

Nice...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#264451 - 05/29/09 02:42 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Diki - that idea goes back to the first post and was proposed by you, I think. In the three rules I listed I did not make a statement like that. As one who also uses 3rd party SMFs, I didn't want to eliminate anyone from the jam. I've heard many people do the same file and have it sound completely different. Let it go. If you choose to start the next jam, you can set the rules. Play ball!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
[b]Announcing the June 2009 SZ eJam. This is not a contest but an expo of the various playing and presentation styles of our SynthZone members. We want to hear YOU. Participants are asked to record an mp3 or video version of one, two or all of the following songs:

Black Horse and a Cherry Tree – KT Tunsall
Here We Go Again - Red Steagall & Don Lanier
The Nearness of You - Hoagy Carmichael & Ned Washington

The rules are very simple:

1. Record the song; post it on an available internet site; post to this thread or start one of your own (please use eJam as part of the title) and include a link to the hosting site.

2. The recording should include the use of some sort of arranger function(s), whatever that may be for you.

3. In your post please give us pertinent information, such as: keyboard/guitar make, styles/tempo used, patches used, recording info, etc…

You can play it instrumentally or with added vocals, using your choice of instrument(s). Play it fancy or plain, straight or creative – you choose. Record it in one take with an antique tape recorder or in multi takes and tracks on Pro Tools – you choose.

You may showcase any or all of the songs. Good luck. We’re looking forward to listening to YOUR rendition of the song(s).

Cass Pawlowski
cassp50@gmail.com

http://www.cassponline.com

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 05-26-2009).][/B]

#264452 - 05/29/09 03:07 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Well done Fred !!
Tks

Chico

#264453 - 05/29/09 03:25 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:

I don't want to choose the song though. Let's give it until June 1st to get the song and all the ground rules together. I like that it should be something newer, maybe even something none of us has yet played or recorded.

I'd also like to minimize the layers of recording. Multi-takes to make your song sound "passable" to you really takes away from arranger playing, which is mostly a live activity. I would say record only as much as you need to make it sound like it would if you were playing it live. If you want to dub in a self-made midi fil, backing track or mp3, that's OK as long as that's how you'd do it live.

Let's hear some song suggestions and start working.

From the other thread, cassp. I took this to mean that you were on the same page there.

I'm sorry, but if this is to devolve into a karaoke jam, I am afraid I have no interest in participating.

#264454 - 05/29/09 04:00 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
From the other thread, cassp. I took this to mean that you were on the same page there.

I'm sorry, but if this is to devolve into a karaoke jam, I am afraid I have no interest in participating.

Who says its going to "devolve into a karaoke jam?" What a baseless, sweeping generalization. Chico's latest work was styles...as was Fred's...as will Cass's be...as will mine when I get it posted over the weekend.

We'd love to hear your work and interpretation of one of these tunes. Its a given you have a high knowledge level and lots of experience...

Just do it...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#264455 - 05/29/09 05:25 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
Retired Offline

Loc: England
Ianmcnll,
Stephenm 52,
Donny,
Bill in Dayton,
Chico,
Thank you for your comments.

Donny recently I have been searching the internet for the
Type of singers that I like, such as
Jerry Vale, Al Martino, Jimmy Roselli, Malcom Vaughan,
All Bowlly, Frankie Lane, All Hibbler, Andy William,
Eddie Fisher, Vic Damone, Matt Monro, etc, and now I have found
another singer I can add to my mp3 collection, thank you Donny,
that’s a great voice you have. I know you are a good instrumentalist
and have nothing to prove, I’ve got the “Shreveport LA Jam”
C.D.s.

Thank you Cass, for posting my song, I hope your idea is well rewarded.
Fred Wren

#264456 - 05/29/09 06:43 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
OK, so it's an arranger forum and some of you feel we should only be using arranger styles - that's a valid opinion. When I joined this forum a few years ago now, I didn't play any more (and probably a lot less) styles than I do now. I was using the ARRANGER as a controller keyboard for my midis and had the styles there in case I got a call for a song I didn't have or hardly ever played.

It turns out that I stayed here because it is such a treasure trove of fun and info. So if someone wants to post their SMF rendition of a song, no big deal to me. I'm pretty sure that somewhere in there is an arranger. Just because it's not being used in a particular way doesn't mean it's ineligible.

For future jams we might consider more specific requirements, but for #1 let's just let it run its course. As Bill C said, there will be plenty of style-based songs posted. I hope to have mine by Monday.

Ps- I have no intentions of being the eJam "commissioner." I certainly hope that others here at SZ will chime in for future eJams.

Page 3 of 32 < 1 2 3 4 5 31 32 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online