Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 >
Topic Options
#263103 - 05/13/09 04:55 AM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
Ian-I'm surprised at your comment that you don't see a difference in set up/tear down times between the L1 and a conventional PA. I'm curious how this can be.

Bill,

I think you might have misunderstood my post.

The setup time is about the same because I am using two complete L1 systems...I was using two powered monitors.

The two powered monitors, which only weigh 25 lbs each, were a tad faster to set up, but not by much, as I still had to assemble the stands I use to bring them up to ear level.

I don't use a mixer with either system....just line outs from the keyboard....I use the keyboard's internal mixer.

The Bose works "okay" or adequately, using a single system, but I do find a dramatic difference when using two in stereo.

The stereo effect sweet spot is also hugely increased, and, to my ears, seems to be present nearly every where in the room.

I'm not one to waste money, and if the two Bose systems did not provide such a substantial improvement over one, I wouldn't have invested the money.

I did extensive testing, both with one and two Bose systems, before I made my decision, and it is a choice I do not regret for one second.

I now have a terrific system that is stereo, and provides ideal coverage.

Mind you, I still use my Yamaha powered monitors for some restaurant work, where a drop off of sound is more beneficial than complete coverage in every nook and cranny.

The Bose L1 in mono was unacceptable to me as I really missed having stereo sound, especially for effects like rotary speaker, delays, and choruses.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 05-14-2009).]

#263104 - 05/13/09 07:56 AM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
Guys-

For what its worth, I've done over 160 performances with the L1 since I got it shortly before Christmas.

I've used it for all jobs...100%, including solos, duos, and quartet gigs...Everything from Nursing homes to large banquet halls to corporate lunch rooms to a church.

I've gotten countless comments on the new system, all...everyone of them...positive.

Do I personally miss the stereo from my T2? Yeah, but its not changed anything for me. Unless you were seated in just a certain location, you (the audience) didn't hear it the way I did to start with.

Everything is crisper, clearer and of a higher quality than before.

Donny-I'm not "getting away" with using Mono. If the comments were mixed, I'd really be questioning it, but they're not...not at all. My experiences seem to be consistent with what other L1 users are saying as well...

I cannot imagine anyone coiming up to someone with a Bose system and making a comment regarding a stereo field..LOL

People go through the trouble and expense of two systems for their OWN benefit. The audiences will never demand or even comment on the lack of a stereo field.

Some people need all the confidence they can muster. It reminds me of acts who clam up when there are no EFX. A confident singer with a decent voice needs nothing but a mike and a good sound system. Just as well as a great evening's performance is still great in mono.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 05-13-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#263105 - 05/13/09 07:59 AM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Don how was the bass & vocal response when you pushed it?

Well, as I said, it sounded a lot like the bigger system. As for pushing it, I did crank it up quite a bit after all the customers had left, just to test it, and it sounded even better at a higher volume.
There is definitely a limit as to how loud it will go, but at full volume it would be WAY too loud for that room.
It was designed for a guitar/vocal act with facility to play MP3s and/or backing tracks.
It will work nicely for arranger keyboards in fairly small venues. It distributes the sound very well and sounds crisp and clean.
The bass is full and solid, although not QUITE as robust as the original. The bass response on the Compact is down to 65 hz and the original goes down to 40, if I remember correctly. It's more of a "feel" than a hearing thing.
I have not even tried the mic channel yet, which has a built-in mic preset, plus volume and e.q. controls. That channel is designed for mic input only, not line input.
The other channel has your choice of a 1/4-inch input, two RCA inputs or a 1/8 stereo input. All can be used at the same time, but levels must be controlled from the input device, as there is only one level control for all inputs on channel 2.
I ran my E50 and Harmony M into a mixer and ran the l and r mixer outputs into the RCA inputs on the Compact. It worked well. I tried also using just the mono output of the keyboard and running it into the Compact. It sounded good, but you lose some volume, and to my ears running both outputs sounded better.
Hope this helps.
DonM

#263106 - 05/13/09 08:01 AM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Put an order in now for those who want one. They are already back ordered. I'm not surprised.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#263107 - 05/13/09 08:21 AM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
Dnj Offline

Don thanks for the honest info on the Bose compact ....

I will certainly try one asap with Fran by my side........
They are cheap enough, so who knows I might pick one up if it passes my test in the store & use it for very small gigs, cocktail hrs, small NH's, etc........although I really dont need it...

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-13-2009).]

#263108 - 05/13/09 08:25 AM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
I cannot imagine anyone coiming up to someone with a Bose system and making a comment regarding a stereo field..LOL

People go through the trouble and expense of two systems for their OWN benefit.
Some people need all the confidence they can muster.

Of course we do it for our own benefit, Kingfog, but the audience benefits immensely from the sound of stereo, especially when delivered by two Bose L1 systems.

The sound of the single Bose system was so relentlessly nondescript that boredom was the primary concern whilst playing.

A single Bose system possesses a particular strain of sound system flu, electronicus mediocritas....this is only cured by the addition of another identical unit and the emergence of glorious stereo sound.

Confidence is knowing that you sound incredibly good to your audience....arrogance, is when you believe they can't tell the difference.

Ian

#263109 - 05/13/09 09:01 AM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Personally, I wouldn't say that setting up/taking down a single Bose would be any quicker than what you're using now.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 05-12-2009).]

I know you're using two Bose systems, but my post was directed specifically at the above comment...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#263110 - 05/13/09 09:08 AM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
The sound of the single Bose system was so relentlessly nondescript that boredom was the primary concern whilst playing. Ian

I can't begin to relate to that. Boredom? All due respect, I've never heard your work but if you really meant what you said, then its quite possible its as much of a performer issue than anything else.

I will grant you that 2 L1's run in stereo produce an awesome sound with an above average stereo field, but IMO, most would say that's beyond the point of diminishing returns.

Now, if Bose wants to provide me with a 2nd system and a full time roadie to transport/set up/tear down all this stuff, I wouldn't object, lol...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#263111 - 05/13/09 09:10 AM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
ianmcnll Offline

Bill,

Since I'm not using a mixer, then putting up a single Bose system, and putting up two powered monitors takes about the same time for me, anyway...your mileage may vary.

Ian

#263112 - 05/13/09 09:30 AM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Bill,

Since I'm not using a mixer, then putting up a single Bose system, and putting up two powered monitors takes about the same time for me, anyway...your mileage may vary.

Ian

Agreed...who among us moves as fast or effortlessly as we did ten years ago, eh?

I will say the L1 was very disappointing to me by itself. The base unit, while the inputs are great, didn't provide me with the sound I desired. Adding a powered mixer did a very nice job and gave me the sound I was looking for. Then, switching to the tone engine, it was heaven...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online