Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#263143 - 05/14/09 03:20 AM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by hellboy44:
Ian, do you think that your perception of the Bose sound - Mono vs Stereo - has anything to do with the fact that (I believe) you play mainly instrumentals (no vocals) and by yourself (solo, with no other musical partners or live instruments) and thus have focussed on Effects and Sounds that rely quite heavily on Stereo panning?

If that's the case, and correct me if I'm wrong here (I frequently am) than perhaps that's why you feel, for you, that a single Bose is only adequate for your needs, and is the reason you set up and prefer your show in Stereo?

This is a serious question/observation, and I'm not judging you in any way.

The first time I heard a Bose L1 was about three years ago, when I did a PSR-3000 clinic with a local client, who I'll call Donald.

He sings, plays guitar, and makes his own SMF which he uses for background accompaniment.

We were in a small hall, where he plays quite often, and I was immediately impressed with the Bose L1's sound coverage, but less than enamoured with the thin sound of the 3K's accompaniment.

I was using a 3K at that time and was used to hearing it in stereo, through two powered monitors, which I still have, and I was struck by the difference, both when I walked around the room, and when I sat and played chords...the L1 was off to my right, and a bit behind me.

I did notice the piano was thinner when I played it on it's own, and it sounded thinner in the accompaniment when it was part of a style....some of the guitars were the same way...overall it was acceptable, but it was far from good enough to my ears to make me go out and buy one, even though I wanted a system that could fill a room the way the Bose did..

Mind you, Donald was very pleased with the Bose, and liked it more than the PA he had the year before, which was also a mono system...two cabinets, and a powered mixer...he mainly liked how well the Bose filled the room, but he did not comment that the 3K sounded better.

Seeing he was quite happy with the Bose, I said nothing.

Last week he and his wife were at one of my gigs,( I was playing all instrumental music) and heard the S900 through two L1's in stereo...needless to say, both of them were more than impressed with the sound, and, after my gig, we plugged in a Flashdrive which he still had in his jacket pocket from the night before, and I played several of his SMF whilst he walked around the room.

The bottom line is that he bought another L1...so I guess it takes hearing one (or two in this case) to actually change someones view.

I use the same keyboard pan/effects settings with the two Bose that I use with the two powered speakers I had been using (and still use occasionally)...I don't "hard pan" anything, but the sounds are panned, especially if there are two guitars in the accompaniment...one is panned at 10 o'clock and the other at 2...I also sometimes pan the phrase tracks if I'm using similar sounds in both, and they are set to the same 10 and 2 positions.

To me, and to Donald as well, the sound of the two Bose is far more open, the stereo separation is present nearly everywhere...in other words, the stereo "sweet spot" is substantially increased.

He said that even his vocals sounded better, especially when he panned the vocal harmonizer tracks.

I have had quite a few people from the audience comment on how great the two Bose sound., and no complaints about it sounding too loud, something I had to be concerned about using conventional speakers.

Just as it is hard (more like impossible) to describe to someone who has not heard the Bose, just how well it fills a room, it is equally as difficult to convey to someone how good two sound in stereo.

My suggestion is thus...if you're happy with the way your single Bose sounds, don't ever listen to it in stereo.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 05-14-2009).]

#263144 - 05/14/09 06:01 AM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Please don't misquote me, Bill, I did not say "barely adequate"...I said "adequate".

Look up the definition of the word...it is not an insult.

It means..."Enough to meet a purpose" or "About average; acceptable."

I did say that one system sounded "one dimensional", and I am staying with that opinion...mono is one dimensional...I have stated this many times on other threads about the single Bose, and so have many others.

On the other hand....

If you acknowledged that two Bose "very likely sound better", and you are happy with one L1 system, is it not to follow that you are not interested in sounding better?

No arrogance on my part...I'm just more interested than you are about sounding better.

Ian

I think everyone who's read this thread would interpret your comments similar to the way I have. Its not a stretch and to hide behind the argument "well, that's not what I said exactly" (NOTE: The previous phrase captured in quotations in this instance does not represent a traditional quote, but rather an opinion from this author and very likely many other readers of this thread...) is weak. Big time, weak...At least have the courage of your convictions...

I'm fine with working with reasonable inferences, and when I said the double system "very likely sounds better" (NOTE: The previous phrase captured in quotations in this instance DOES represent a traditional quote...) I meant that in the wider stereo field it produces. (See previous post...) I've also added that for most, the benefit from that exceeds what most Bose users would call the point of diminishing returns.

Ian-For the 2nd or 3rd or 4th time, I officially acknowledge the improved and larger stereo field with a double set up is just dandy.

I doubt seriously that the people in those stereo enhanced seats in your performances are saying to themselves...

"HOLY CRAP!!! Do you hear what I hear? Its stereo...honest to god stereo...wow, whoo-hoo!!!! and we didn't pay extra for these seats? Ya' gotta be kidding me...NO WAY, DUDE!!! Stereo? What could be better than that? Where's my Quadrophenia album? Where did this guy come from? Why isn't he a household name..."

DISCLAIMER: THE ABOVE HUMOROUS RIFF WAS MERELY MEANT TO PROVIDE LEVITY AND ENTERTAINMENT VALUE TO THE OTHER READERS OF THIS THREAD, WHO BY NOW ARE APPROACHING MIND-NUMBING LEVELS OF BOREDOM WITH BOTH OF US AND THIS TOPIC...IT IS IN NO WAY MEANT TO RIDICULE ANY PERSONS LIVING OR DEAD, OR DEAF...

Rock on, Ian...its all good....

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#263145 - 05/14/09 06:31 AM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
Dnj Offline

The best sound system or instrument will NOT magically make the player better, although many think so buy reading some of these posts of course you'll never hear anyone here ......but your talent can never be covered up & eventually be exposed to the audience one way or another. Become a really good player or /singer first, then worry about the sound system.

#263146 - 05/14/09 06:31 AM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
On Letterman last night I noticed Paul Shaffer had what looked like the new small Bose behind him.

#263147 - 05/14/09 06:36 AM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
I think everyone who's read this thread would interpret your comments similar to the way I have.

I really don't think they would...not according to the numerous PMs I have received since my last post.

If anyone else doubts my comments about the incredibly improved sound and stereo enhanced projection of two Bose L1's, they can just try it for themselves.

I'm not getting any kickback from Bose (and I'm sure they love selling two systems) and everyone with the single system is so satisfied and pleased they don't think it can be (or needs to be) improved (all except for the ones who already contacted me) so we'll just let the thread go where it may.

Best wishes,

Ian

#263148 - 05/14/09 06:42 AM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Become a really good player or /singer first, then worry about the sound system.

Well, Donny, what if you are already a good player/singer/karaoke guy and want to sound at your very best?

Becoming a better player is a daily exercise, and there will always be room for improvement in all of us, including you, my friend.

So, based on your wise statement, how will one know when to upgrade their sound system...is there a test?

Ian

#263149 - 05/14/09 07:07 AM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Holy crap! How did I miss this pissing contest before this? Let's see if I comprehend.

One Bose L1 sounds fantastic to many and is their choice for a PA system.

Some people have tried two L1's or two Compacts and like the stereo effect it provides, feeling it is superior to one system.

One member has an L1 and a Compact, tried them in stereo, but will buy another Compact instead of adjusting the volumes of what he already owns (wish I had that luxury).

The argument is whether one or two systems is superior

It has been acknowledged that the stereo of two systems is somewhat better than mono - a personal choice issue.

It is now being argued, by inference ???, that mono Bose is unacceptable for OMB who have stereo keyboards.

So does that mean I will never own a Bose because I can't afford one, let alone two?

I can't piss that high on the wall anymore.

#263150 - 05/14/09 07:37 AM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:
On Letterman last night I noticed Paul Shaffer had what looked like the new small Bose behind him.

When the Bose L1 (formerly PAS) first came out, what looked like a Half Stack version was noticed behind Paul which he was, presumably, using as a monitor. That may have been what you saw, or he may have the new compact L1. However, weight is not an issue for Paul. His gear never moves.

Eddie

#263151 - 05/14/09 07:44 AM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
Dnj Offline

So Ian when is the 61 key version AUDYA coming out?

#263152 - 05/14/09 08:03 AM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
So Ian when is the 61 key version AUDYA coming out?

The future is cloudy for the 61 key Audya...buy a Tyros3 instead...so says the Swami.

Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online