Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10 >
Topic Options
#263113 - 05/13/09 09:31 AM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
I can't begin to relate to that. Boredom? All due respect, I've never heard your work but if you really meant what you said, then its quite possible its as much of a performer issue than anything else.

Yes, Bill, I meant what I said ...the sound of one Bose is boring...one dimensional...perhaps it is a fine sound for performers who aren't concerned about sounding at their best...perhaps not.

All I know is my S900 and Tyros3 sound much better with two systems.

Just because the Bose sounds boring to me, doesn't mean I deserve a veiled insult(I would have thought you were better than that) but apart from that, I really can't comment on the level of excitement my own playing generates, but it certainly has been paying the bills rather well these past 43 years, so I must be doing something right.

Ian

#263114 - 05/13/09 09:44 AM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:

I will grant you that 2 L1's run in stereo produce an awesome sound with an above average stereo field, but IMO, most would say that's beyond the point of diminishing returns.

That's why I use them, Bill...it matters to me that I sound at my very best when I perform...the cost over time is negligible since they will pay for themselves...I can't see anyone using them at home, or for one gig a month, perhaps, but I do feel two systems are well worth the huge increase in sound quality if you are fussy about the sound, like I am.

They aren't heavy...it just takes more time to set up, and maybe another trip to the car...no big deal.

Ian

#263115 - 05/13/09 11:06 AM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:

Of course we do it for our own benefit, Kingfog, but the audience benefits immensely from the sound of stereo, especially when delivered by two Bose L1 systems.

The sound of the single Bose system was so relentlessly nondescript that boredom was the primary concern whilst playing.

A single Bose system possesses a particular strain of sound system flu, electronicus mediocritas....this is only cured by the addition of another identical unit and the emergence of glorious stereo sound.

Confidence is knowing that you sound incredibly good to your audience....arrogance, is when you believe they can't tell the difference.

Ian

Hogwash....YOU need it. So you have it. The audience would enjoy your show just the same with or without the second pole. If they did not I would be suspect of your entertainment prowess.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#263116 - 05/13/09 11:07 AM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
I can't begin to relate to that. Boredom? All due respect, I've never heard your work but if you really meant what you said, then its quite possible its as much of a performer issue than anything else.

B I N G O ! That's what I have been saying.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#263117 - 05/13/09 11:30 AM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
Hogwash....YOU need it. So you have it. The audience would enjoy your show just the same with or without the second pole. If they did not I would be suspect of your entertainment prowess.

Kingfog,

It's quite obvious you know very little about live playing, even less about the difference between stereo and mono, and even less again about how well I perform.

Your insults tell me much more about your own insecurities than the level of my talent.

Did you all of a sudden get this insecure, or did it start way back when you were a little tadpole?

Ian

#263118 - 05/13/09 12:30 PM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Kingfog,

It's quite obvious you know very little about live playing, even less about the difference between stereo and mono, and even less again about how well I perform.

Your insults tell me much more about your own insecurities than the level of my talent.

Did you all of a sudden get this insecure, or did it start way back when you were a little tadpole?

Ian

Ian, you bug me sometimes too...but I think you nailed it...Kingfrog comes across just as you described..

And stereo does make a positive difference..Whenever possible..I want stereo..

BTW: I can't recall the link, but I read an interesting article about the stereo projection a few months ago...and the design of the Bose is all wrong according to these sound experts...The problem is the sound is projected in a wide disbursement,,,like throwing a stone in a pond ..the ripples will flow out from the center...now throw two stones a distance apart..Two ripple groups until they make contact with each other's ripples...This is a problem with the sound projection...Bose knows this..and you won't see them suggesting stereo with two Bose L1's

#263119 - 05/13/09 12:43 PM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
the sound is projected in a wide disbursement,,,like throwing a stone in a pond ..the ripples will flow out from the center...now throw two stones a distance apart..Two ripple groups until they make contact with each other's ripples...This is a problem with the sound projection...Bose knows this..and you won't see them suggesting stereo with two Bose L1's

Great analogy Fran and a graphic interpretation of why I just can't believe audiences benefit from wide dispersement speakers of any kind. The stone thrower (performer) will know the difference...and if its worth it to the stone thrower, then I say go for it.

Eddie

#263120 - 05/13/09 12:44 PM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
and the design of the Bose is all wrong according to these sound experts...The problem is the sound is projected in a wide disbursement,,,like throwing a stone in a pond ..the ripples will flow out from the center...now throw two stones a distance apart..Two ripple groups until they make contact with each other's ripples...This is a problem with the sound projection...Bose knows this..and you won't see them suggesting stereo with two Bose L1's

I see your point Fran, and it does make sense as you describe, but for some reason I don't get those results.

Believe me, if they didn't work properly in stereo, I wouldn't have them.

If you read any of my old posts about the Bose as a single system, you would see how critical I was of it's one dimensional mono sound, so being convinced about two of them was a stretch....but they do sound terrific.

Maybe it is the way Yamaha's stereo imaging is set up...I don't know, but we did try a Roland G-1000 with it and it sounded great.

I do know that several bands in my area use multiple Bose systems...one for each performer, with up to five on the stage, and they have no issues with the sound either.

I don't completely understand the science behind it, but I don't need to as long as it works for me.

I've played a midi file, and walked around the room, and I can hear the difference between when I use one, and then two, and it is a marked difference.

I'm glad I spent the loot on it...it works perfect for my style of play, so I'm happy, and my audience is as well.

Ian

BTW...here's something interesting about Bose in stereo..

http://blog.mp3backingtrax.com/articles/bose-l1-in-300-400-seat-venues/

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 05-13-2009).]

#263121 - 05/13/09 12:44 PM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Sorry...double post.

[This message has been edited by btweengigs (edited 05-13-2009).]

#263122 - 05/13/09 12:53 PM Re: Bose compact vs Podium 802's vs Logitech Z5500
Dnj Offline

does all this presumably great sound improve the throwers playing?

Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online