SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#263635 - 05/16/09 08:00 AM Blackpool Keyboard Festival Review
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Details of the show program can be seen here http://www.4shared.com/file/100401555/eb655301/Blackpool_2009.html

Out of all the performers there, I can say that there was not one that could be classed as below par, nor any that really stood out, they were just all top notch.

All the demos on the stands were again up to the usual standard. (Due to the amount of activities onsite, it was impossible to attend them all)

I have broken the products by the manufacture, in alphabetical order.

As with all my reports, they are my own personal observations, combined with observations from others where applicable

The most disappointing was the fact that due to the economic climate, prices have risen quite a lot, with arrangers taking the brunt, (Audya was the only one that had no increase) and the organs fairly stable. (Small or no increase)

All products could be played by those that attended, and the reviews cover both.

Allen
Full range of electronic Theatre organs on display (Unmatched if you want a Theatre organ)

Casio
Can’t be knocked for the money, and if you only have a little to spend, are well worth a listen.

Ketron
All products were on display, including the new speaker system which gave a very good sound with the Ketron products.
The main news was the Audya, however rather then all out demos (Which occurred at last months Pakefield) the instrument was played as any home or gigging musician would use it.
Audya was definitely a step up from previous Ketrons, however while you could tell when the audio styles were used, they did not stick out like a sore thumb, (Nothing worse then an instrument that has a few stand out voices and average everything else) and also continued to grow on me during the week. (A good sign that it is not a flash in the pan instrument)
On its own this could have been the best arranger onsite, unfortunately for Ketron, Korg was there. (See below)

Key B
This is a Hammond clone, and boy did it sound like a Hammond. (Easily the best sounding clone so far)

Korg
Had the OS2 versions of their boards on show, and to say they pummelled all of the other arranger manufactures there is an understatement.
The best thing I can say is to do everything that is humanly possible, to go and hear and try one. (Forget the online demo)
The styles you could play multiple songs to, and they gave you only the backing that you needed. (Contrast this with others where you are forced to play how the manufacture has programmed it)
DNC: all articulations (Way more then SA2) could be set up to your own style of playing (EG If you didn’t want a Sax Fall when you hit the key hard, it could be assigned to a control or footswitch, so it only did it when You wanted)
All sounds and styles were live, integrated and professional, forcing you to want to just carry on playing till you dropped.
For the first time I can safely say that an upgrade from previous models is worth every penny.

Lowery
Had a full range of organs including the new holiday, and if you want a big rich sound complete with an exquisitely designed cabinet, (Wouldn’t look out of place in a Palace) and is also easy to play, however if you want the very latest in sound design to go with it (Although there is nothing bad about it) then I am afraid you will need to go elsewhere.

Nord
Another quality Hammond clone, but the lack of physical drawbars may put a lot of people off.

Orla
Full organ range on display and one of the best value sounding range of organs out there. (I think they may use the Technote name in the US)

Roland
The latest Atelier range of organs (Small to Large) were easily the best and most accurate sounding instruments at the show, with the sound quality being totally unmatched by any other manufacture at the show.
The GW arrangers must be one of the most modern sounding entry level arrangers out there, (Although some of the more mature thought they sounded more like what the youngsters call music these days, and so did not go down well with them) a definite to put on your listening and playing list, as there is nothing else quite like them on the market at present.
All the E series were there, as they have been around for some time, and really did sound old, (They use the same sound technology as the previous generation Ateliers) and were easily eclipsed by the rest of the manufactures at the show. (Now if they put the new Atelier sound engine in them, along with all the latest innovations, then I am pretty sure all the other arrangers manufactures may as well pack up there bags and leave)

Yamaha
Clavinovas gave a good account of themselves, and if you want a style player with a quality piano and furniture, then give them a listen.
The S700/900 gave excellent accounts of themselves, however with the latest price hikes, it now means they start above the TOTL Roland GW series, so the decision is no longer cut and dried on what to buy. (They also have the Korg PA500 to contend with)
Tyros 3, (Just like at the launch at Pakefield last year) is a bit of a disappointment after Tyros 2, and to make matters worse the new OS2 Korgs are much more flexible then the SA2, Megavoices are still up there, but not much extra added, styles were more of you had to play how the style dictated, rather then playing what you wanted.
The new sound packs were good, but most folks there said that they should have been included as standard when launched.
However what really marks the T3 down is the lack of variation, 7 months after launch and all players still sound the same as each other, and it is starting to become monotonous. (Contrast this with the launch of T2 when as little as a month after launch, uses were getting all sorts of variations out of them)
Plenty was made of the Registicks and lower manual/pedal combinations, which more and more Yamaha owners are going for. (Yamaha may have to re-introduce their Electones back into Europe)

Finally
The biggest surprise was how well organ sales are doing, (New and Used) with a lot of players using them to supplement their keyboards. (It used to be the other way round)

Best Sound Roland Atelier Organs

Best Arranger Korg PA2x

Biggest Disappointment Tyros 3

As mentioned at the beginning, these are my personal observations, and others may come to other conclusions, but I have tried to be as neutral as possible.

Next year is the 25th anniversary of the Festivals and we are promised something really special, so try and get to one if you can.

Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

#263636 - 05/16/09 08:06 AM Re: Blackpool Keyboard Festival Review
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Thanks Bill, very interesting report. Graham

#263637 - 05/16/09 08:52 AM Re: Blackpool Keyboard Festival Review
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I read this on YPKO recently...interesting opinion about the Atelier.

If these are the same organs on the Atelier site, they do sound great, but hardly better than a properly set up G70 (which is not a bad thing, mind you!)..the "Articulated" voices were standouts, but not in the same league as Tyros3's SA1/SA2.

One would really have to think long and hard considering their prices.

Of course, like you, that's just my own personal opinion and observation.

Ian

#263638 - 05/16/09 12:10 PM Re: Blackpool Keyboard Festival Review
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I believe I said the same thing here when I first heard the new Atelier demos. I could close my eyes and basically imagine that a G70 was playing, other than those SA type voices, which, as my friend Ian points out, failed to impress compared to Yamaha's...

Bill, other than the new SA type voices, what about the new Atelier voice technology is new in any way? As close to the G70 as the demos sounded, and with the E80 at least being more advanced than the G70 in some ways, I find it hard to believe that the TOTL E series sounded 'old' in any way other than perhaps those SA voices. Perhaps the E merely suffered from not as impressive a sound system as the Atelier's?

I am also curious about your Ketron remarks. You say the audio styles don't really stick out like a sore thumb... Would it be fair to say that perhaps the price premium that this feature has imposed on the Audya hasn't really improved it markedly over what can be achieved without all that extra stuff, then?

Oh, and last thing... to quote you: For the first time I can safely say that an upgrade from previous models is worth every penny, wasn't the upgrade to OS2 free? Value for money indeed!

Thanks for the review. Shame there is nothing comparable over here...

#263639 - 05/16/09 09:00 PM Re: Blackpool Keyboard Festival Review
Dnj Offline

Great review Bill thank you.

#263640 - 05/17/09 12:53 AM Re: Blackpool Keyboard Festival Review
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:

.....unfortunately for Ketron, Korg was there....

Korg
...All sounds and styles were live, integrated and professional, forcing you to want to just carry on playing till you dropped.
For the first time I can safely say that an upgrade from previous models is worth every penny.

Roland
The latest Atelier range of organs (Small to Large) were easily the best and most accurate sounding instruments at the show, with the sound quality being totally unmatched by any other manufacture at the show....
....All the E series were there .... (Now if they put the new Atelier sound engine in them, along with all the latest innovations, then I am pretty sure all the other arrangers manufactures may as well pack up there bags and leave)

This make me even more curious to try out a PA2X Pro while wait and see if Roland ever going to
release any follow-up to G-70, or the way too high priced (at least in this area) Audya coming
down to a reasonable pricelewel and also brought out of the Beta Test Mode ....

Cheers
GJ

Btw,
Diki, upgrade from previous models is different from upgrade the OS, or?
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#263641 - 05/17/09 02:32 AM Re: Blackpool Keyboard Festival Review
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Gunnar Jonny:
Diki, upgrade from previous models is different from upgrade the OS, or?

Well, of course..., but Bill primarily posted about the OS2 DNC features, which was a free upgrade for PA2. It would have been like Yamaha adding SA voices to the T1, or SA2 voices to the T2 without making you change out your keyboard completely. (If this were Yamaha, they would have brought out a PA3Xpro rather than do it as an upgrade )

And, I'll add, DNC is in it's absolute infancy. But it already has considerable OS advantages over Yamaha. What it lacks right now are as many well developed sound sets to use it, but again, it's totally open... anyone can develop and sell DNC voices for it, unlike Yamaha's closed system.

I am only hoping that, IF Roland are taking a look at leaping into this technology (which they had better hurry up and do, with both Y&K now having it), they go the Korg route and not Yamaha's.

#263642 - 05/17/09 02:43 AM Re: Blackpool Keyboard Festival Review
Anonymous
Unregistered

It seems to me inevitable that a new E-Series will emerge based on the Atelier sound engine. The ROI on the R&D for it demands it. Roland would not have developed it for such a low volume product alone.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online