SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#262901 - 05/08/09 04:09 PM Re: Ketron Audya Pop Style Demo
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
My next demo will be with the registrations that come wit the Audya, I will be using it on a gig tomorrow.

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#262902 - 05/08/09 04:30 PM Re: Ketron Audya Pop Style Demo
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
OK, finally managed to get the 'advanced' chord demo (although I wouldn't call these advanced chords in the slightest ) to load... for some reason earlier today it wouldn't load.

First things first... that's a pretty low level, mix-wise, for the guitar part to sit at, IMO (I pay all that money for this feature, I would want it as loud as a real guitarist would be playing!). So, I think that the timbral changes are less apparent than they would be at a stronger level. But even as buried as that was, there is a VERY poor balance between the 'advanced' chords and the audio ones, to the point at times when it felt like the MIDI guitars were hardly there.

Also, there's a considerable difference in EQ between the audio track and the MIDI one. If there's a per-Part EQ, is it possible to 'tweak' the MIDI Part to be a better blend? More mids, for instance?

I guess if you never play those 'advanced' chords, you are set. Me, I can't think of a tune that doesn't have at least ONE of those, ahem, 'advanced' ( ) chords in it... For much of American music, at least, the guitar part is the driving force, the core rhythm of the style. To have such a disparity between different chords (especially as how Yamaha and Korg do it, to my ears, nearly equally well, and without ANY of the dropouts) kind of puts a damper on this feature. And, no offense, but this ONE feature is kind of the entire reason d'etre of the Audya.

It shows great promise, but I must confess, I think I can wait until it realizes that promise fully... In the meantime, both Korg and Yamaha are showing that you don't need audio loops to get very realistic style guitar parts, and there is room for advances in their approach that could take that approach even higher.

It'll be interesting to see what method eventually dominates. I can't help but root for the MIDI method, as much as I like to tweak my styles... Presets are great, but one bad match for a song, and with audio, you are screwed. With MIDI, at least there is the POTENTIAL (whether you take it or not is up to you) to fix the track...

#262903 - 05/08/09 04:46 PM Re: Ketron Audya Pop Style Demo
frankieve Offline

sorry for mis-labeling the "advanced" chords.

I agree with you Diki on the volume differences between the midi guitar and the audio guitar, can't quite understand how they let that go, with such a volume difference.

From what I was told, Ketron has dedicated themselves to the Audya and refinement and upgrades. It is ready to be used on a gig, of course it can be better, and just like the G70, and PA series, updates can and will make it a better board.

I'll try to play something above a third grade level with some registrations, then I'll play some styles and mute parts, but overall everyone has a different opinion on mixes. Some like hot drums, some like the bass hot.

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#262904 - 05/09/09 08:22 AM Re: Ketron Audya Pop Style Demo
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Well, that's kind of how they all work, isn't it, Dan?

What I'm talking about is, maybe before doing your own tweaks, it might help to hear how Ketron voiced the styles, as to Part balances, reverb amounts, etc., etc.. And to do that, you probably need to call up Ketron's own Registrations, don't you?

If you pull a ketron keyboard out of the box and call up a style, you can view volumne levels, voice used etc.. So if you define a registration as how the manufacturer sent the keyboard from the factory, than we have a different way of defining registraion.

Registrations to me, means something that you created and saved to a registration. Not something the manufacturer has done.
Kind of a snap shot of your own personal setting. Each varitation would be saved to a different registration...

However, with Ketron you do not need to save style tweaks in a registration. You can over write factory settings or copy the style to a folder on the harddrive and than playback -tweak & save with no resgitrations being used.

Perhaps this clears things up

[This message has been edited by DanO1 (edited 05-09-2009).]

#262905 - 05/09/09 08:28 AM Re: Ketron Audya Pop Style Demo
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
"From what I was told, Ketron has dedicated themselves to the Audya and refinement and upgrades."

Hopefully Ketron will "dedicate" themselves to making the audio loops trigger on each and every chord structure not just major and minor chords. This is really a 'noticeable' flaw in my opinion (as opposed to a flaw that you don't necessarily notice outright). What a let down in my honest objective opinion. I just don't see how a crowd could get enthused or stay enthused by your performance when they hear a "discernable" sound difference each and every time you play diminished, sustained, or augmented chords in the songs you play. I realize that not every song will have those kind of chords in them but it's sad when you are faced with the prospect of having to "restructure" and/or "rearrange" your song list(s) or avoid certain songs altogether all because the Audya is limited in such a "basic" function i.e. Style playing.

I am really looking forward to Audya "2", when Ketron will hopefully get their act together and allow the next Audya to have audio loop functionality no matter WHAT chord you happen to play. So in a decade or so we can finally have an Audya that won't be limited in such an "obvious" and "audible" way eh?

Unless Ketron is somehow able to get that audio style chord functionality implemented into Audya "1"?? If that is indeed possible and Ketron comes through and incorporates that functionality with an OS update I will seriously consider the Audya "1" again. If not, I'll wait the 10 or so years until they DO fix it with Audya "2".

With the way things are going though, Audya "2" will probably cost $10,000.00 by then. Which will make me "twice" as mad as I am right NOW about Audya's ridiculous $5,000.00 price tag.

All the best,
Mike

#262906 - 05/09/09 10:08 AM Re: Ketron Audya Pop Style Demo
frankieve Offline

This reminds me of when I bought one of the first G70s, I was so excited, finally Roland has come to beat up all the other guys with a keyboard that had it all.

Well mine was with the first OS, and I was greatly disappointed, I had spent almost $4000 with taxes from a piano shop who did not have it but was able to sell them.

I hated it, but with time Roland put out some updates, and that board came alive. I would probably still have one but a offer I could not refuse came in and I had to let it go.

I guess you can also think of it as a car. How many cars are released and then a recall or update is needed so it doesn't blow-up or brake fail or something, that seems to be ok when you spend $35,000 on a car?

I know almost 3 years for a keyboard to come out you would think everything would be finished, I can't argue that point, but us Italians work slow, but so far we do pretty good.

The G70 was made in Italy
The PA2xpro and PA800 are made in Italy

So in time.

I'm sticking with it, I also hope Roland will come out with their successor to the G70, and then we can have a party.

Funny I have people come in and play all 3 and I will get a different favorite every time, no clear winners, it's completely personal taste. (and available money)

Frank

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#262907 - 05/09/09 02:47 PM Re: Ketron Audya Pop Style Demo
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
I just wonder if Roland will put its factory and offices in the Ancona/Ossimo area...?

#262908 - 05/09/09 03:46 PM Re: Ketron Audya Pop Style Demo
Diki Offline

Just like the G70, Frank, I have a feeling that some issues CAN be fixed by software, and some issues cannot.

What has frustrated me with Roland is that some of the easily fixed software issues never got fixed, while at the same time, several new features got added that have little impact on how good an arranger it is (Guitar Mode is a joke compared to Korg - it's not usable in style Mode) nd have monopolized their R&D efforts.

Personally, I have had a far less drastic response to the G70 OS upgrades. Sure, they are very welcome, but because I like to tweak all my styles anyway, waiting until OS3's per Part EQ and the revoicing of the styles wasn't really necessary for me. And all of the Makeup Tools and style editing tools were there from Day1 (rather than some indeterminate time in the future with the Audya), I was able to get a very quick grasp on whether this thing was going to work for me or not.

#262909 - 05/09/09 05:26 PM Re: Ketron Audya Pop Style Demo
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Frank,
wouldn't that make it rather awkward for
"Unplugged" type guitar styles like we have on the KorgPA2X/PA800.
Basically Drums, Bass & Guitar.
The Unplugged styles are brilliant on the Korg. I would have thought Ketron would want to showcase the guitar audio loops with this type of style.
In a heavily orchestrated style, would it really show up whether you were using midi guitars or audio loop guitars anyway?

Unfortunately I haven't been able to veiw your demo's, my stupid wireless internet is too slow. I don't think I'm even acheiving dial up speed at times.

best wishes
Rikki
best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by frankieve:
[B]

I agree with you Diki on the volume differences between the midi guitar and the audio guitar, can't quite understand how they let that go, with such a volume difference.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#262910 - 05/10/09 12:04 AM Re: Ketron Audya Pop Style Demo
Diki Offline

Apparently, Ketron fans don't need to listen to demos, discuss potential problems, or talk about issues readily apparent from demos and other owners' posts...

They are going to buy one or two of these things regardless of where the Audya is now. So, apparently, Ketron don't even NEED to fix this stuff before release, or after it, to be honest. Once they have your money, what's the point?!

My take on the guitar loop thing is that, after three YEARS working on the problem, if that's as good as it sounds now, that's probably as good as it is going to get. Three years? Well, they announced it two years ago. Surely they must have been working on it for at least a year BEFORE they announced it? Or maybe they just made some features up, announced it, and after the initial response, sat around going 'Damn! Now I guess we have to make good on our hype!'

Sadly, they failed.

Perhaps they have learned to NOT announce features until they have proven to themselves that it CAN be done... Perhaps not. I guess the NEXT Ketron announcement will show this or not.

In the meantime, those who will buy Ketron simply for the logo, whether the advertised features work or not, will probably keep them in business...

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online