SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#260238 - 03/22/09 09:36 PM Is this what the PA2X Pro actually sounds like? Seeking comments on Korg arrangers
Lucky2Bhere Offline

There’s been a lot of discussion here lately about Korg arrangers so I thought this would be a good time to post this.

I’ve been listening to these demo’s here for a few weeks now. I think they’re incredible for both sound and versatility. Fact is, I think they give the Ketron demo’s a good run for their money.
http://www.korgpa.com/pa_root/en/support/demo.html?en

I’ve been considering buying a Ketron SD5 for quite a while. What’s been holding me up is the inability to find one I can take a good workout on (though Frankie has a nice setup at his place). Mostly, my reservations come from the lack of proper technical and backup support for the unit (outside of AJ).

In the meantime, I discovered these Korg demo’s and have been reading whatever I could about the Korg PA2X Pro. I like the extended keyboard, reasonable weight, the authentic styles, and the realistic drum and instrument sounds. I also like the fact that Korg seems to be committed to company growth and particularly to their arranger keyboards, and that I can pick up the telephone and almost immediately get through to the Korg techies to get my questions answered.

So...what do some of you who are familiar with the Korg arrangers say about these units? Also, compared to the Ketrons? Also...is there anything I should consider about the PA2X Pro that I might not like? I'm seriously thinking about buying one.

Lucky

#260239 - 03/22/09 09:59 PM Re: Is this what the PA2X Pro actually sounds like? Seeking comments on Korg arrangers
chony Offline

Loc: New York
The two places where the Ketron shines is in its Audio Drums and Audio Guitars. Unfortunately Korg does not compete with Ketron in these areas, though it has a lot of other advantages in other areas. (I say this as a Pa2x owner who also played on the Audya.) The Korg drums are altogether pretty good. Not so for their guitars.

#260240 - 03/23/09 01:38 AM Re: Is this what the PA2X Pro actually sounds like? Seeking comments on Korg arrangers
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Lucky,
first up, I'm only a hobbyist.
I own the Korg PA800 (18months) and a Ketron SD1+ (3 years).
Biggest downside for me as far as the Ketron goes, is lack of style editing functions. IF the onboard styles don't suit, it's not all that easy to create one's own.
For me, that's where the Korg shines. Great style editing & creation functions.

Also, Korg has a pretty good user forum,
someone normally pipes up to try & help.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#260241 - 03/23/09 06:37 AM Re: Is this what the PA2X Pro actually sounds like? Seeking comments on Korg arrangers
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Lucky,

Korg has been my choice arranger for the last 18 months. First with the PA800 because the Pa2xPro wasn't available, then 4 months later I upgraded to the Pa2xPro. If you're like many of us here, that perfect arranger hasn't been built yet. Since it hasn't I've settled in with the Korg and also an s900. They serve me well.

For me the downside of the Korg is not enough on board Jazz/Big Band styles. If you play a lot of big band/jazz styles you may find the Korg not the best choice. But I've found work arounds for my needs, I'm sure you can too. There are some third party styles available. Rikki helped by sending me some of her big band jazz styles and they filled in a gap.

Overall the positives of this board far outweigh the negatives. I know you've been shopping for a while I say go for it. BTW, in the last 3 years I've owned the PSR3k, Tyros2, G70. The Korg for my needs has an edge, though very slight over those other models. I did miss Yamaha enough where I did purchase an S900 and do use it here and there for gigs based on what and where I'm playing. Good luck.

#260242 - 03/23/09 08:21 AM Re: Is this what the PA2X Pro actually sounds like? Seeking comments on Korg arrangers
Dnj Offline

I would say these demos are clouding your judgment as do all factory demos do.......
I would also suggest you go find these arrangers your interested in no matter where they are and play them so you get a real hands on experience to see if it is really for your needs before you lay out a substantial amount of money & not be satisfied.Do not listen to anyone here ....go try it yourself.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 03-23-2009).]

#260243 - 03/23/09 09:29 AM Re: Is this what the PA2X Pro actually sounds like? Seeking comments on Korg arrangers
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
I hasd the Korg PA2x for 4 mos and ended up with a Tyros 3.

Korg was a better Workstation insofar as MIDI goes, Korg had a better Harmonizer, Korg had a more "raw" overall sound. Korg had 76 keys,
Korg is a great board for LIVE play and MIDI/DAW use.I was hoping to have an all in one Workstation/Arranger.But the available style library was pale in comparison to the Yamaha's

Since I don't use the board for live work (where it truly shines) and in the end I preferred the vast style library the Yamaha offered which is why I bought an Arranger in the first place. Styles. Not being a guitarist I felt the Yamaha had far better guitar voices and acoustic instrumentation overall at the expense of drums and synthy stuff. So I bought a Tyros and recently the XS8 to fill the Workstation keybed hole the the Korg left.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 03-23-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#260244 - 03/23/09 09:35 AM Re: Is this what the PA2X Pro actually sounds like? Seeking comments on Korg arrangers
leezone Offline

is it me or are those Korg Drums the THINNEST sounding, most electronic drums i've ever heard on any arranger ???

#260245 - 03/23/09 10:35 AM Re: Is this what the PA2X Pro actually sounds like? Seeking comments on Korg arrangers
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think it's you, lee...

What about the S900 drums, or Wersi internals? I just thought they were pushed back in the mix quite a bit. You know, just like arranger players tend to do

I've heard a ton of stuff from users where they weren't so buried, and they pop quite nicely. Not the same as Roland, but still effective. A bit softer in the hi-hats and cymbals, maybe a hair better on a few of the snares and brush stuff. They definitely seem to have nailed the 'smooth jazz' kind of kit sound

But you know what strikes me from listening to the style demos? I don't really think it is an arranger issue. I simply think that Korg have some of the most creative, 'hip' style programmers out there. Put these same guys on a T3 or a G70, I am sure they could make something just as effective. I have a few PA1X styles in my G70, and they are some of my favorites for jazz and smooth jazz.

I don't think there is much getting around it. Just like us and our playing demos, there is NO substitute for great playing and creative music making.

#260246 - 03/23/09 11:17 AM Re: Is this what the PA2X Pro actually sounds like? Seeking comments on Korg arrangers
leezone Offline

Diki,

would you say the KORG drums come close to AUDYA's- or Ketrons in general ??

#260247 - 03/23/09 03:50 PM Re: Is this what the PA2X Pro actually sounds like? Seeking comments on Korg arrangers
zuki Offline

The buck stops here! Buy the PA2X - it sounds better live than the online demos.

Like Stephen said, use your imagination to draw from the onboard styles. The fills, endings, variations, etc are EXTREMELY MUSICAL and INSPIRING. There has been discussion regarding fill problems (and no board is devoid of this) but I have not found this to be a problem - it's a small work-a-round and only a few at most. The harmonizer is to die for, as is the Songbook. Editing is easy and effective. I totally disagree with Chony about the drums and guitars (fantastic) - what???????? - is one of its strong points, as is the bass. There might be limited style resources, but the available ones are incredible.

There is no way I will comment about the Ketron. Everyone has their tastes and you just have to decide for yourself.

I absolutely LOVE the PA800 - to me, it is the best arranger ever made and I will defend that statement to the bitter end. In fact, I just closed the deal on my 2nd one after recklessly roaming for a bit.

Good luck on your decision.

[This message has been edited by zuki (edited 03-23-2009).]

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online