SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#260589 - 03/29/09 12:01 AM OT - Sax Video for the SZ Sax Aficionados
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
When I was a kid I usually had broken my Xmas toys by this time of the year. I guess when we get older we try to make them last. Not to mention that our toys are so much more expensive at this age!

My toy from Santa this year was a cute little curved soprano sax. I took "him" to his first "pay gig" Thursday night. Here's a video of me (and him!) playing "Besame Mucho". Hope y'all like it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S9TUFNQxUI&feature=channel_page

Randy

PS - there's a clearer version of this song on the video page of my web site (saxyguy.com). I am not sure why the YouTube vids don't come out as clean as a smaller file loaded on a different site - must be their compression programs or something. The video on YouTube is over 100MB whereas the WMV on my web site is only 20 MB.

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#260590 - 03/29/09 12:34 AM Re: OT - Sax Video for the SZ Sax Aficionados
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
What operating system you using on this???
And how much RAM? After things like this i
feel like throwing my synths out even though
i am a Sax player my self.

#260591 - 03/29/09 12:36 AM Re: OT - Sax Video for the SZ Sax Aficionados
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Randy

That was very nice. Superb playing as always. That sax has a nice sound. I used to play a Yanigisawa straight soprano sax. It was sweet. Then I decided to sell it and a few other musical things collecting dust and buy a PSR2000 and JBL speakers.haha Wish I still had the sax

Keep it up, Randy.

Scott

#260592 - 03/29/09 07:09 AM Re: OT - Sax Video for the SZ Sax Aficionados
saxxman Offline

Hi Guys! Thanks for listening and the remarks.

First, Nedim - I think you may have taken my "toy sax" statement too seriously. In this video I am playing a Chinese-made copy of a Yanigasawa curved soprano sax. The little horn is actually a real sax and I referred to it as "toy" since it's little and cute.

Scott - thanks buddy! I had not taken the soprano to a gig because of the mic'ing issues, but decided to just tough it out on this gig. As you know, the EQ needs to be carefully set to avoid the "nasal" sound on a soprano. When I got this horn, I wanted a dark mellow sound. For some reason, the curved soprano is closer to the sound I'm after. I like it better than the sound of my Selmer straight soprano. Are you and Chuck Wheeler still giggin' in Mobile?

Randy

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#260593 - 03/29/09 07:31 AM Re: OT - Sax Video for the SZ Sax Aficionados
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Beautiful tune and expertly played, Randy...very nice work.

Ian

#260594 - 03/29/09 08:33 AM Re: OT - Sax Video for the SZ Sax Aficionados
Dnj Offline

Randy very enjoyable & superbly performed. Thanks for sharing your work it's always appreciated.

#260595 - 03/29/09 10:21 AM Re: OT - Sax Video for the SZ Sax Aficionados
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Wow...

I'd love to a guy like you around here, lol...

Reminded me of Branford Marsalis...

Haven't heard anything that nice in a while...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#260596 - 03/29/09 10:30 AM Re: OT - Sax Video for the SZ Sax Aficionados
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Tasty, Randy....

#260597 - 03/29/09 10:34 AM Re: OT - Sax Video for the SZ Sax Aficionados
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Randy,
The sax in my opinion is the most emotional instrument out there and you certainly do it justice. You have the control on each note and can do what you feel in your heart. Wow, that’s good.

I have a dear friend who could be your saxophone twin, has the same tone and feeling --which is rare. When he came to Florida he chose to take the path of OMB, his voice is just fair. Stage presents lacking.

What he became was a second rate OMB/Vocalist, if he had put all his efforts on his beautiful God given gift, playing the sax he would have been like yourself, very much desired.

Keep playing, John C.

#260598 - 03/29/09 11:19 AM Re: OT - Sax Video for the SZ Sax Aficionados
saxxman Offline

Guys - thanks so much! I am truly a slave to the sax no question about it. I can never tire of playing any of those horns. So I do appreciate your kind words.

Bill - thanks so much for the nice comments. Branford is a stellar player as are all his family members. I'm honored that you enjoyed my playing!

John you are so right - I learned a long time ago that the sax lends the player a unique ability to convey emotion. It is truly the most expressive instrument in my humble opinion as well. Also, the fact that most sax addicts can immediately recognize who the players are by the tone they are projecting is further evidence of the horn's ability to project personality.

Since I am a slave to this instrument, I am committed to forging a future with the sax playing a major part of it. Just hope the economy holds out to support my habit! And again, I appreciate all your kind words.

Randy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online