SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#255108 - 01/31/09 09:59 PM Re: Best Voicing Arranger??
vin5451 Offline

Loc: Wellington, Fl USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
ok Vin so you are getting a Tyros right?

Honestly, I already have a Tyros 1 I bought from one of the members here. It's definitely lacking in the richness I want in a live system. Yes, I've listened to the demos of T2 and T3 but had hoped to find any reasonable answers from you guys on live performance. I can tell you it won't be a T3 since four grand won't come out of my pocket. If the Audia is going to be even higher, that breaks that out of the race too.

I've even considered doing OMB with a Motif XS to at least get the super articulation2.. The biggest delemma is what many of you have complained about, the 76 key versions - I'd rather 76 key and we all know which ones have that configuration.

As far as averages from the few real answers I have received through this Pissing Contest, yes T3 shines, but yet does it really shine in a live situation??? Does the audience enjoy hearing you play a T3 rather than one which has better live patches for live situations??

#255109 - 02/01/09 09:42 AM Re: Best Voicing Arranger??
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The audience is going to be FAR more into what YOU play, than what you play it ON...

We have all seen great players play up a storm on a POS Casio or the like... and listened to embarrassingly awful renditions on TOTL arrangers

Any of the top arrangers will do a great job for you. Now YOU have to do a great job for the audience (because the arranger isn't going to do it without your help!)...

The only answer you are ever likely to get here is 'Play what I play'. EVERYONE thinks they made the perfect choice (or they wouldn't have bought it ). But somehow, we still end up with a great variety of choice. What does this tell you..?

That you should make your OWN mind up about this...

#255110 - 02/01/09 09:57 AM Re: Best Voicing Arranger??
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by vin5451:
Honestly, I already have a Tyros 1 I bought from one of the members here. It's definitely lacking in the richness I want in a live system. Yes, I've listened to the demos of T2 and T3 but had hoped to find any reasonable answers from you guys on live performance. I can tell you it won't be a T3 since four grand won't come out of my pocket. If the Audia is going to be even higher, that breaks that out of the race too.

I've even considered doing OMB with a Motif XS to at least get the super articulation2.. The biggest delemma is what many of you have complained about, the 76 key versions - I'd rather 76 key and we all know which ones have that configuration.

As far as averages from the few real answers I have received through this Pissing Contest, yes T3 shines, but yet does it really shine in a live situation??? Does the audience enjoy hearing you play a T3 rather than one which has better live patches for live situations??

Your sound system & how you EQ it is a big part of you "live " Sound....not the keyboard....any Tyros or S unit will be very effective on stage for sure...its all about HOW YOU PLAY it....don't blame your keyboard.....and further more listen to Diki

#255111 - 02/01/09 12:56 PM Re: Best Voicing Arranger??
vin5451 Offline

Thanks guys for bringing this back to the topic at hand. Yes, I agree that technique, what you play and the sound system; the way it's eq'd and what is used are major factors of the sound. And yes, the audience comes to see you play not to hear what device you play it on. And, yes, it is ultimately my decision on what will meet my needs and what I can afford to work with.

The question was to factor all these into play and take it at stride to work a final decision on which device to upgrade to out of those currently available and focus my technique and talent on working around the shortfalls of that selection with the inaccessibility issues pertaining to that board; working through a new board takes time. Of course it would be great if I could get my hands on any of them to work with and try without purchasing to make that final decision, but that's not possible.

Honestly, the outcome of this thread has helped me make a decision that the board I did want to try working with was not as great to use as others have thought it to be not as true as the main talk of this forum the T3 and T2, seemed to be not even close. What sparked this idea was a post I found on another thread finding the SD5 more outstanding to the audience than a g-70 or Tyros. Looking through other threads, I found that there has been a recent sell off of T3s and such to purchase the SD5 and the upcoming Audia because of it's more robust Drums and Bass. Even though the Audia is not out yet, it did come in a very close second here, but since we don't know any price factor yet, well... The SD5 still came out lower than any of the newer Ts.

So, yes, deciding on a board will stay with Yamaha and the Ts whether T2 or T3 even though I'd rather use a 76-key board. I didn't want to sacrifice sound realism just because of a 76key board. If the focus of the answers were more towards another board, then I would have tried to work with that board and live with it.

Once again, I thank all who have given me your opinions on which boards do sound better and I appreciate your cander on the matter.

#255112 - 02/01/09 01:05 PM Re: Best Voicing Arranger??
Dnj Offline

You cant go wrong with Yamaha good luck to you!! Keep uas posted on you experiences.

#255113 - 02/01/09 02:11 PM Re: Best Voicing Arranger??
vin5451 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
You cant go wrong with Yamaha good luck to you!! Keep uas posted on you experiences.

Well, actually, I've had 3 Yami boards in my time and the T1 had the worst piano patch I had heard yet. My S90 sounded much better with that respect.

Yes, the logical upgrade would be to the T3 and I do find that piano much richer that that on the T1, but TT2 is not as much change on that particular patch.

If I could sell off my T1 and S90 quickly, I could hop on AJ's special on the T3.

My idea of OMB with an XS7 is just too cumbersome since it's a pain to change styles betwithin a set, unless someone knows a way around that. Right now I'm controlling my T1 with my K2600X to get the expanded keyboard, but changing functions is a bit hairy sgoing from board to board for a non-sighted situation. I wish, like the rest of you, Yami would come out with that 76 key version.

#255114 - 02/01/09 08:31 PM Re: Best Voicing Arranger??
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Vin,
IMHO, With what you have said...try out a Korg PA2XPRO or PA800.

Great live sound and the great features for live performance..
Maybe you like, maybe not...but before you decide you should try one out for a few hours.

Lee

#255115 - 02/01/09 09:58 PM Re: Best Voicing Arranger??
vin5451 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
Vin,
IMHO, With what you have said...try out a Korg PA2XPRO or PA800.

Great live sound and the great features for live performance..
Maybe you like, maybe not...but before you decide you should try one out for a few hours.

Lee

Lee...Touch screens...not good for blinks.

However, if a store in my area did carry any of these boards, I would try them. They only carry synth boards and low end arrangers like S900 or Casio. Yes, even GC.

The only possible touch screen which does have some potential for blink use is the Roland G70 and E series and can't get my hands on either to even try. I've been told the Korgs just don't have any real logic to their screen format to where it could be templated for use by someone by me. Believe me Korg has been contacted by many of us about this but they won't budge on the matter.

That's why I put this post together to see if the Roland was felt to be in any part good for the live shot and it really fell low on this list. My real focus was Tyros 2 or 3 and the Rolands. Tyros has been the second choice due to the 61 key issue.

Thanks for the suggestion and if I ever do come across any of the Korg boards, I will try them out.

#255116 - 02/01/09 10:25 PM Re: Best Voicing Arranger??
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
its all about HOW YOU PLAY it....don't blame your keyboard.

Correctomundo. Donny the Wise speaks from many years of experience

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 02-01-2009).]

#255117 - 02/01/09 11:07 PM Re: Best Voicing Arranger??
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I would disagree with some other's low estimate of the Roland's. As I said, everyone has different priorities. I am extremely happy with the realism of my Roland G70. It's piano is without par (which isn't JUST my opinion, Ian ), it's drums are perhaps only a hair behind Ketron, and it doesn't need audio loops (which are far less customizable or available in a wide variety of styles) to achieve it. It's B3 sim is up there with some dedicated B3 clones, strings and brass are excellent, synth sounds are gorgeous, saxes are as good as anything with perhaps the exception of Yamaha's SA voices.

In fact, my only opinion of a weak spot would be it's guitars, which are still good for an arranger, but not as realistic (in style parts) as the Mega Voices of Yamaha or Korg's Guitar Mode. But I generally play with a guitarist, so that point for me is moot.

But I play in real full bands a lot of the time (still on my G70) and it's sounds keep those guys as happy as my K2500 or Triton ever did. If you want to know if an arranger sounds live, I say play it IN a live band!

My entire decision about whether to buy an arranger is based on whether I can get the same feeling playing with it that I do with a live rhythm section. I need the drums to be dynamic, crisp and punchy. I'm not looking for a polished 'studio' sound. I want SLAM! The drums in the Roland's come almost in their entirety (save some legacy kits and electronica sounds) from their TD series drum modules designed by and FOR real drummers. That, for me, is a VERY telling point.

For this liveness, I am prepared to give up some of the more sophisticated features on other arrangers. If it doesn't convince me that I've got a real drummer, what point is all the bells and whistles?

So, anyway, before you take anyone else's opinion to heart too much (which I completely counsel against), allow me to present a different opinion about Roland's. I think they sound VERY live, in all but the guitar department, and that is still not bad at all...

I still believe, instead of asking opinion, you should listen to every demo, factory AND user, that you can get your hands on. And decide for YOURSELF whether any of the top arrangers are what you want.

After all, it is YOU and not them that is going to have to play it...

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online