SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#245271 - 09/30/08 07:34 AM Korg vs Yamaha also Korg vs Roland in buying
bebopster Offline

Loc: Philo, CA, USA
I have read the reviews and am left blank, again. I am new here so bear with me. I am a old school bebop player who incorporates bossa into the sound. I am interested in either a Korg pa1x, pa800 or I could go with Yamaha Tyros (2 or 3). The second piano I would like is either a Roland Fantom X7 or maybe a Triton extreme? Which of these are better for PA arrangements (jazz) and instruments? For the Roland and Triton extreme which has better sounds for jazz
realistic sounds. Or alternatives. Thanks
for any input. Maybe an all in one PA and
Workstation, any out there?
Michael Wilson

------------------

#245272 - 10/18/08 02:31 PM Re: Korg vs Yamaha also Korg vs Roland in buying
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Bebop, and especially bossa, I'd shoot for a G70 or E60. For a start off I am going to assume you play piano. So a 76 is a must. Secondly, if you play piano, I am going to assume you want a GOOD one... again, G70/E60

But bottom line is audition everything yourself, if you can...

One man's Dizzy is another man's Miles

#245273 - 10/18/08 02:40 PM Re: Korg vs Yamaha also Korg vs Roland in buying
Dnj Offline

Diki,

great advice

#245274 - 10/18/08 02:54 PM Re: Korg vs Yamaha also Korg vs Roland in buying
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
If you want a ton (Read 1000's) of third party and Factory styles in Be Bop or Bossa (or any style) the Yamaha has the best library amd the most free styles by far and a lot of user websites.

Here is one where you can download hundreds of styles free http://www.yamahapkowner.com/index.php?page_id=3

You can buy a new Tyros 2 for $2500 or less depending on the dealer now. A Roland RD700 would make a great addition.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 10-18-2008).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#245275 - 10/18/08 03:41 PM Re: Korg vs Yamaha also Korg vs Roland in buying
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
An all in one "P"ersonal "A"rranger/Workstation?

Well for an all in one you need 76 keys or better for the Piano parts, in my opinion, so maybe the Korg Pa2XPRO could fit the bill for you Michael. It is a high-end Arranger that has Workstation features and has 76 semi-weighted keys. The sounds are right up there with the best of them but the price is a little steep with a street price at around $3,699. Although, that price is actually less than the 61 key Tyros3.

If you purchased two separate keyboards i.e. one as arranger and one as the workstation you could end up paying way more than a single solution PA/Workstation such as the Korg Pa2XPRO.

Another 76 key all-in-one would be the Ketron Audya but it won't be released until next year sometime.

The Roland G70 has been mentioned but it's now getting long in the tooth (read: obsolete ) and lacks some essential and currently modern keyboard technologies such as USB 2.0, Audio/MIDI over USB, Sampler, etc. You can get them on the cheap though so you might want to consider it. It does have 76 pro action keys (NOT weighted or semi-weighted) but still a very good action and with Aftertouch too.

As far as third party support for Styles, Yamaha is certainly one of the best sources for those but you will be reduced to a "two" keyboard solution since the Tyros3/2 are all 61 key and Yamaha doesn't even make a mid-range 76 key arranger either. Plus also, the Tyros3 does NOT really have extensive pro workstation features. It is mainly marketed to Home Hobbyists and is considered a Home oriented keyboard i.e. = plastic outer shell, lackluster Drum Kits, NO "real" Sampler, only 61 keys, etc. But with a 4 Grand price tag (out the door with tax) you would think you'd be getting the Rolls Royce of PRO Arranger keyboards. Apparently not so.

Happy shopping on whatever you finally decide on getting Michael!

Best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 10-18-2008).]

#245276 - 10/18/08 03:57 PM Re: Korg vs Yamaha also Korg vs Roland in buying
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Trying to read between the lines of your post, I would suggest you look at either a PA2x (if too expensive look at a used PA1x, but the pianos are awful), OR a G70. (if the G70 is to expensive the E60 would make a great alternative with some additional outboard gear).

Both have very useful Bebop and Latin styles with the Roland ahead of the Korg.

I also prefer the overall jazz styles on the Rolands as well, although the Korg, again, is not far behind.

The G70 is a super live performance keyboard with great operational tools.

The Korg is too, BUT, and this is a big but, ONLY because of the Songbook, without the songbook it swings decidedly in favour of the G70

Comments about the Yamahas and a "gazillion" styles are true, BUT at the expense of only a 61 note keyboard. In my view, too big a price to pay.

Dennis

#245277 - 10/18/08 04:34 PM Re: Korg vs Yamaha also Korg vs Roland in buying
zuki Offline

I am partial to the PA series. I do a fair amount of bossa type stuff and there are plenty of styles. A comment made about the G70 being hands down? Not in my opinion, just the opposite. That's what makes this an interesting forum

You really have to decide for yourself.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#245278 - 10/18/08 09:08 PM Re: Korg vs Yamaha also Korg vs Roland in buying
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
I am partial to the PA series. I do a fair amount of bossa type stuff and there are plenty of styles. A comment made about the G70 being hands down? Not in my opinion, just the opposite. That's what makes this an interesting forum

You really have to decide for yourself.

Zuki,

you never even gave the G70 a chance its an awesome PRO arranger...in the right hands.
What didnt you like about it?

#245279 - 10/19/08 10:03 AM Re: Korg vs Yamaha also Korg vs Roland in buying
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Mike!!!!!!!!!!

Obsolete!!!..

I can tell you never owned a G70..maybe never played one...

"Long in the tooth"..maybe Roland is just waiting for the other guys to catch up..

Oh, and for the record..The G70 has the USB 2.0 covered..as well as an excellent USB midi operation too..maybe the best of the rest....

That same option is on the E series too, including E50/60...

#245280 - 10/19/08 11:14 AM Re: Korg vs Yamaha also Korg vs Roland in buying
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I agree with Fran. I have owned the PA-800 and now have the G70. Once you learn the workings of the G70, there is no doubt in my mind that it is the most awsome keyboard I have ever owned. I was as glad to get rid of the Korg as Zuki was glad to get rid of my G70.
Bernie

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online