SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#208278 - 03/07/04 08:14 AM My first gigs - gear questions
Earl Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Hi,

After long months of work with my vocal teacher, I performed my first so-called gig during last New Year's day's night.

It wasn't really prepared (a friend's idea who made installed for me an old PSR keyboard) but was a encouraging experience, as people were apparently satisfied and enjoyed the hour I spent playing and singing (without mic, so, no risk .

Now, I'm working on much more prepared events, the first one being early May and the second one mid-July.

But I'm asking myself a lot of questions and I'd like to get the feedback from professional gigers.

For the first one, I'll have the opportunity to sing and play in a little restaurant. I'll sing while playing the accompaniment with an upright piano provided on the stage.

It will be "double stress" for me (singing and playing the piano in a public venue) so I'd like to eliminate most additional stress. In particular, I don't feel very comfortable playing and singing with a dynamic microphone in front of me and think it'll be easier to use a headset mic, being completely free (more over, I know from other people’s past gigs that positioning the mic boom is very hard because of lack of space on this stage). The standard mic used on this place is a classical SM58 and I'd like to get at least the same "level of sound's quality".

Q1) Do you think using an headset mic is a good idea in the previously explained context?

I studied my favourite mic manufacturer's web site (Shure) and identified two models that should fit my needs: WH30 and Beta 54. It seems that the Beta 54 is more sensitive than the WH30 but don't know if it may lead to problems with the piano's sound??

I'm also thinking about getting wireless mics and the fact that these models are available in wireless versions is a good point for me (I planning to purchase an ULX S4 system with probably a Beta 58A mic, for my second gig).

Q2) Your opinion on WH30 vs Beta 54 and between wireless vs wire models?

For my second gig, it's a completely different context: I'll play and sing for a 40-50 people friend's party with my own gear. I own a PSR 2000 keyboard and will use it for this gig. I'm planning to sing and play about 10 songs.

It will be a mix of MIDI playbacks, chords with auto-accompaniment and piano solos (depending on the song).

Concerning the PSR use, I'm far from being an expert and recently begun to use its mic features with an SM58. It sounds rather good but I'm not sure I configured it in the right way: I only activated the compressor and disable VH and effects as I was unable to get something usable.

Q3) Have you got some VH/mic settings recommendations for my PSR2000?

Q3bis) Is there a significant interest to use a better mic like Beta 58 or 87? I think wireless mics would be better to interact with the audience too...(I'll play POP and Disco songs, if it's of interest).

Also, maybe some people would like to sing with me.

Q3ter) How to manage multiple mics with a PSR? Bring a small mixer and connect it the PSR's input at Line level?

About PSR control, I own a good piano-like Roland pedal (DP-6) and would like to get a second one in order to control, for instance, the OTS+ feature (my goal is to change the style while playing).

Q4) Have you got any advices on the kind of pedal I should get for this?

I don't have any PA system.

Q5) Do you think PSR's own amp/speakers is enough for a 40/50 people audience?

Finally, I'll have to bring by car all my stuff and only have a keyboard stand (Quiklok double-X) with a mic boom.

I don't have any flight case nor "travelling" seat.

Q6) Any advices for PSR flight cases? Thomann.de is providing specific cases for all kind of keyboard, is somebody know if it's good and not too heavy?

Q7) Are there more portable stands than the one I use? I found K&M 18950 that seems easy to fold and transport. And about seats?

Q8) Any recommendation on sheet stands? (I'm having problems using PSR's one).

Okay, that's all for this time, thanks for your answers. If you have any additional advices, don't hesitate!!

Thanks.

Earl.

#208279 - 03/07/04 04:13 PM Re: My first gigs - gear questions
R-F Offline

Loc: Berlin/ Germany
Hi,
I have good experience with headsets (I use a Shure WH20XLR not wireless).
If the audience is wondering, I can say "thousands of pilots and millions of telephonists can't be wrong".
About PSR 2000 mic setting. Try to eliminate feedback. First midboost, you tune the mid frequency, when you notice feedback, stop and cut (6 to 10 dB). Reduce Hi EQ a little and bass a little more.
Use compressor and gate if available (I have the 9000 pro).
About VH, depending to the kind of song, in case of high tuned songs (tenor) I would try something like "Men Choir" in case of low tuned, I would use settings with backing voices above, like women choir, CountryX etc.
Record your voice, play it back to the mic in (line position) and check all kinds of vocalist presets.
The only way to manage multiple mics with a PSR is a small mixer. Connect it with aux in, not mic in. If you don't have aux in, connect the PSR to the mixer line in.
For PSR control, a piano-like Roland/ Technics or Yamaha pedal will give maximum comfort, but a cheap switch is ok. too. Your feet may decide.
I don't think PSR's own amp/speakers is enough for a 40/50 people audience?
I used the build in PSR 8000 speakers for 30 old people but did insert a compressor (Alesis nanocompressor).
You may use a PA system. Easy to handle and easy to transport, the HK Audio XT. Very small, sounds very large, easy to transport, sounds like a good studio monitor speaker, no mid cut like cheap HiFi speaker, no mid boost like the usual PA systems.
I used the Thomann cases for a while. They are well but heavy (keyboard plus case 30 kg), therefore I changed to bags. It's cheaper too.
It's not easy to find the best answer to you, because we don't know where you are from.
A good global advice. Use the SPL vitalizer jack, makes a bad sound good and a good sound better. Go to your musicstore and ask for demonstration.
For sheet stands, use a professional sheet stand for orchestras, it's not cheap but reliable and able to hold a LARGE fake book with 1000 songs.

#208280 - 03/07/04 04:15 PM Re: My first gigs - gear questions
R-F Offline

Loc: Berlin/ Germany
Regards RF

#208281 - 03/07/04 04:43 PM Re: My first gigs - gear questions
rphillipchuk Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
I have a Psr2000....Can I use 2 ( or 3 )Microphones and , via Mixer, go from Mixer directly to the Vocal Harmonizer?
Thanks for any advice

RonP

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#208282 - 03/07/04 05:02 PM Re: My first gigs - gear questions
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Head-sets are nice, but forget about dynamics, If you can't get away from the mic, dynamics are all but lost. Harmonizers are an interesting tool, they're also as easy to identify as lip-syncing.Other than the Throat Singers from Tibet (or where-ever) not too many people can sing in more than one pitch at one time, so why bother. If your voice is capable of pleasing an audience, then leave it alone (literally). You can become innundated with midi controlled toys, and you can end up being buried in the mix.
In my solo gigs, I use a drum machine for rhythm and accompanyment. Try the simple route, before things get to complicated.
just my thots..
http://members.shaw.ca/shboom

------------------
...L

#208283 - 03/07/04 05:41 PM Re: My first gigs - gear questions
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by rphillipchuk:
I have a Psr2000....Can I use 2 ( or 3 )Microphones and , via Mixer, go from Mixer directly to the Vocal Harmonizer?
Thanks for any advice

RonP

Yes you can use a mixer with multiple mic inputs. It helps to have matching mics, but not essential. If more than one person is singing at the same time, don't use the vocal harmonizer.
I find it's more believable on a lot of songs to use the simple vocal harmonies, such as duet, rather than the choirs. Use the harmonizer sparingly--it's easy to overdo it.
I find the factory preset mic e.q. works quite well with SM58.
I've tried just about every mic there is on the 2000 (and others). Most of the time you can e.q. any of them to sound good, but individual voices may sound better with certain mics. Only way is to try them out.
I tried a head-set mic that Gary Diamond loves, but couldn't get it to sound like I wanted for my voice. Gary sounds good on it though. I also missed the dynamics of moving away and closer to the mic, including the proximity effect.
DonM www.donmasonmusic.com

#208284 - 03/07/04 06:34 PM Re: My first gigs - gear questions
rphillipchuk Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
Thank you Don....I will use your advice..It sure is nice to know that we can get advice and help here

RonP

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#208285 - 03/08/04 11:08 PM Re: My first gigs - gear questions
Earl Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Hi All,

Thanks a lot for your answers. I think I'm going to get a headset mic but it probably won't be for me my "primary" mic (we'll see with the experience .

I'll try the mic and VH setting adviced, I'll tell you.

For the PA, which HK Audio model are you speaking about?

I don't know Vitalizer, I'll have on look on this.

Thanks for your answers.

Earl.

PS: UD and Scott, any advices?

#208286 - 03/08/04 11:49 PM Re: My first gigs - gear questions
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Earl:
I'll have the opportunity to sing and play in a little restaurant. I don't feel very comfortable playing and singing with a dynamic microphone in front of me and think it'll be easier to use a headset mic, being completely free (more over, I know from other people’s past gigs that positioning the mic boom is very hard because of lack of space on this stage). The standard mic used on this place is a classical SM58 and I'd like to get at least the same "level of sound's quality".

Q1) Do you think using an headset mic is a good idea in the previously explained context? .

Hi Earl: For uptempo contemporary pop & dance tunes where varying vocal volume & traditional vocal-mic techniques aren't required, a headset mic can be very convenient, but for vocal dynamics are essential, espeically those intimate ballads and torch songs, I strongly recommend learning how to utilize a standard mic mounted on a mic boom. Only a traditional mic allows you easily get close up and personal, as well as slowly or quickly pulling away from the mic as needed as well.

Quote:

I studied my favourite mic manufacturer's web site (Shure) and identified two models that should fit my needs: WH30 and Beta 54. It seems that the Beta 54 is more sensitive than the WH30 but don't know if it may lead to problems with the piano's sound??

I recommend a mic with an adjustable polar pattern which is relatively small so you don't pick up to much ambient sound.

Quote:

I'm also thinking about getting wireless mics .

If you can afford going wireless, by all means do, Just remember that the UHF models offer less possibility of interference than VHF models do. I myself, when I eventually go wireless will go with a UHF model for this reason.

Quote:

Q3) Have you got some VH/mic settings recommendations for my PSR2000?.

Sorry, no longer own the PSR2000 so can't help you there, but I somehow remember one of the preset default settings worked well for me.

Quote:

Q3bis) Is there a significant interest to use a better mic like Beta 58 or 87? I think wireless mics would be better to interact with the audience too...(I'll play POP and Disco songs, if it's of interest). ?

I personally would go with the Beta 87 if you can afford it. Better clarity, and more detail? But, BEFORE purchasing any microphone, I STRONGLY recommend you audition in a store both models, as well as other brands/models in your affordable price range. Every mic sounds different with everyone as no two people sound the same. Our voice is like a hand print, individually unique. For this reason, Choosing a mic is possibly the most personal piece of music equipment you can buy.

Earl, sorry can't answer any MORE of your questions tonight, It's time for bed. Perhaps Uncle Dave and others will be able to answer your other many questions here. Good luck on your upcoming project and gigs.

Scott

#208287 - 03/09/04 06:29 AM Re: My first gigs - gear questions
Tomcat Offline

Loc: Ft Collins Colorado, USA
Scott, what mic and boom are you using in the video of your San Francisco Chinese New Year "job"?

Thanks,
Tom

------------------
Bigger is not always better

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online