SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#187757 - 07/12/07 12:40 PM PSR S900 First impressions
Beakybird Offline

Nice looking keyboard. Looks a little more professional. I'm happy to have a lot of the dedicated buttons back that were on previous models: Harmony On/Off, Harmonizer On/Off, Effects On/Off, DSP On/Off, DSP Variation On/Off, and some new ones: Sustain On/Off, and Mono On/Off.

Now the challenge will be to learn where the buttons are. I noticed that some of the direct access commands are different, so I there is a learning curve when you switch from the PSR3000.

The main new thing are the new voices. There are some great voices. I never had a chance to hear the Tyros II because my local Guitar Center and Sam Ash stores never carried it. Now I can see what all of the buzz was about.

But since I already own all of the Tyros II styles, there is very little new in styles that I have discovered, so that is disappointing. I remember all of the other new Yamaha's I bought had at least 10 new styles to play around with.

Another challenge will be this. All my styles on the PSR3000 are stored on the Smart Media Card. My registrations call up styles stored on this SM Card. Now that I only have USB, I will probably have to spend a lot of time editing these registrations.

I am going to look into a program at SVP World called Reg Edit or something like that.

Keys feel a little more solid. The buttons aren't as sensitive as I'm used to, and there have been several times as I play the keyboard that I press a button and nothing happens. I have to press harder.

It's an improvement over the PSR3000. It's not like the improvement from the PSR2000/2100 to the PSR3000, but I'm happy.

Beakybird

#187758 - 07/12/07 12:54 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
jwyvern Offline

Hi BeakyBird
There are (allegedly!) about 24 different/new styles on the S900

It's probably Register Memory Editor you'll need to edit the paths to the styles. Download here:
http://www.kwmusik.dk/Tyros/

John

#187759 - 07/12/07 12:55 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Beakybird Offline

Great news for this PSR3000 owner!!!

I have a gazillion styles on my Smart Media Card. I wanted to see if I transfer the style from the SM Card to a USB stick, if a registration can call up that style. IT DOES!!! Just transfer your styles to your USB stick and any registration that called up that style on your Smart Media card will now call up that style on your USB stick!

Now the challenge will be to revoice these styles so that they take advantage of the new voices.

I noticed that I haven't seen any Super Articulation voices within the styles. I wonder why?

Beakybird

#187760 - 07/12/07 12:59 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
zuki Offline

Thanks for the update on the S900 - enjoy. Care to exchange style ideas for the 3000?

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#187761 - 07/12/07 01:07 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Beakybird Offline

Thanks for the correction on the new styles.
Could someone list what the new styles are? There are a lot to go through. So far I have come across these new ones, a Straight 8 Bt, 6-8 Acoustic Pop, an Oriental Pop, 80's boy Band, and 80's EP Ballad, and a Highland Waltz.

Beakybird

#187762 - 07/12/07 01:11 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Beakybird Offline

Hi Zuki! What are you referring to when you say Style ideas? - because I am always ready to exchange ideas.

Beakybird

Just found a new style Rhumba Flamenco #1.

#187763 - 07/12/07 02:52 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Beakybird Offline

There's enough ear candy with these new sounds to make it a lot of fun.

There are two new features I discovered. When you are choosing voices, there is a dedicated menu button option called "Voice Set" which lets you edit the parameters of the voice. There is also a button option called "INFO". This provides info on the voice including how to take advantage of Super Articulation sounds, etc.

I noticed a problem with the S. Art pedal steel. It is cool that when you use the pitch bend, only the bottom note bends, but nothing bends at all when you use the pitch bend while the sustain pedal is on. That's no good. I don't see any advantage with that.

Beakybird

#187764 - 07/12/07 04:19 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Anonymous
Unregistered

HI BEAKYBIRD
would you please send for me the s900 internal styles.
many thanks
jimmy
my email jammystyles@yahoo.com

#187765 - 07/12/07 05:51 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
firehead Offline

Loc: thornwood, n.y. , usa
Hey beakybird - good luck with your new S900. Any chance of getting the Tyros II styles for my PSR 3000?

Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
Nice looking keyboard. Looks a little more professional. I'm happy to have a lot of the dedicated buttons back that were on previous models: Harmony On/Off, Harmonizer On/Off, Effects On/Off, DSP On/Off, DSP Variation On/Off, and some new ones: Sustain On/Off, and Mono On/Off.

Now the challenge will be to learn where the buttons are. I noticed that some of the direct access commands are different, so I there is a learning curve when you switch from the PSR3000.

The main new thing are the new voices. There are some great voices. I never had a chance to hear the Tyros II because my local Guitar Center and Sam Ash stores never carried it. Now I can see what all of the buzz was about.

But since I already own all of the Tyros II styles, there is very little new in styles that I have discovered, so that is disappointing. I remember all of the other new Yamaha's I bought had at least 10 new styles to play around with.

Another challenge will be this. All my styles on the PSR3000 are stored on the Smart Media Card. My registrations call up styles stored on this SM Card. Now that I only have USB, I will probably have to spend a lot of time editing these registrations.

I am going to look into a program at SVP World called Reg Edit or something like that.

Keys feel a little more solid. The buttons aren't as sensitive as I'm used to, and there have been several times as I play the keyboard that I press a button and nothing happens. I have to press harder.

It's an improvement over the PSR3000. It's not like the improvement from the PSR2000/2100 to the PSR3000, but I'm happy.

Beakybird

#187766 - 07/12/07 09:11 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Beakybird Offline

More impressions. Just so it's clear, there are no TALK ON/OFF or VOCAL HARMONY ON/OFF buttons on this keyboard like there was on the PSR2000/2100.

Also, there is no Style Creator button anymore. You have to go through the function menu.

I have also discovered that there are less DIRECT ACCESS options. Direct Access allows you to press one button (DIRECT ACCESS) and then when you press practically any other button you go into a sub menu. Well there were a lot of options on the PSR3000 to go directly into different submenus and specific places within a submenu. There are a lot less options with this keyboard, so that is kind of a drag. Hopefully, they can fix this in the future.

The new voices sound very nice.

The operating system is very similar to the PSR3000. If you have a registration that calls up a style on the PSR3000, it will call up the same style on the PSR S900.

It's going to take me a long time to revoice my registrations to take advantage of the new voices.

Beakybird

#187767 - 07/12/07 10:07 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Beakybird

Congrats on the new kb. Sounds like a good one.

Just a thought on the Tyros 2 styles. It's probably well worth trying out the raw untweaked T2 styles on the S900. Most of that ought to be picked up on the 900. If there are any voice changes the kb will pick the next best likely one. You may prefer this sound over the "fixed" T2 styles.

Scott

#187768 - 07/13/07 09:15 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Beakybird Offline

As I posted elsewhere, my PSR S900 has a fatal flaw with the data entry dial.

I've still been playing with it, even though I cannot gig with it.

I'm really enjoying the new voices, but I'm finding another thing that I have a beef with that Yamaha should fix.

With the PSR3000 and other models, if you are playing one style and switch to another while the first style is still playing, the tempo remains the same. Not with the PSR S900. The tempo follows the default tempo of each style. What's the advantage of that? If I'm playing a style for an audience, and I decide that I wanted to play the song in another style, then I'm in trouble now. If I change to the desired style, the tempo will fluctuate and I will mess up the song.

The speakers are the same as the PSR3000.

The PSR-S900 keys have more resistance. I am playing it right next to my PSR3000, and the difference is noticeable. Less toylike.

Beakybird

#187769 - 07/13/07 09:22 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Dnj Offline

Would FREEZE funtion button help your tempo switch problem?

#187770 - 07/14/07 03:00 AM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
pasadoble Offline

Loc: Portsmouth, England.UK
Use the registration banks to jump from one song to another...save styles with the correct sounds and tempos, name the folders and move to them freely knowing all will be correct...moving from one style to another just using the style banks while performing live is a dangerous practice...you have no idea what sounds yamaha has set and they may be totally inappropriate for the song your about to perform....use the reg system...its the only way to go.

NJ

Quote:
As I posted elsewhere, my PSR S900 has a fatal flaw with the data entry dial.

I've still been playing with it, even though I cannot gig with it.

I'm really enjoying the new voices, but I'm finding another thing that I have a beef with that Yamaha should fix.

With the PSR3000 and other models, if you are playing one style and switch to another while the first style is still playing, the tempo remains the same. Not with the PSR S900. The tempo follows the default tempo of each style. What's the advantage of that? If I'm playing a style for an audience, and I decide that I wanted to play the song in another style, then I'm in trouble now. If I change to the desired style, the tempo will fluctuate and I will mess up the song.

The speakers are the same as the PSR3000.

The PSR-S900 keys have more resistance. I am playing it right next to my PSR3000, and the difference is noticeable. Less toylike.

Beakybird

#187771 - 07/14/07 04:35 AM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Beakybird Offline

I do use registrations, but once in a while you're in a different situation.

The FREEZE button doesn't help.

Beakybird

#187772 - 07/14/07 06:05 AM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
pasadoble Offline

Loc: Portsmouth, England.UK
If you look into this in a bit more detail you would realise that Yamaha have actually done the correct thing in setting the tempo's for the different styles....for example, your playing a nice slow ballad and want to go a bit more up-beat! so you pick a rock & roll style only to find its moving along at a snail's pace taking its tempo from the previous style...that my friend would be considered a design fault...adapt and enjoy your keyboard.

NJ

Quote:
I do use registrations, but once in a while you're in a different situation.

The FREEZE button doesn't help.

Beakybird

#187773 - 07/14/07 06:17 AM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
zuki Offline

Quote:
Hi Zuki! What are you referring to when you say Style ideas? - because I am always ready to exchange ideas.

Beakybird

Just found a new style Rhumba Flamenco #1.

Well, I surely want to get my hands on those new 900 styles. Don't know if I have anything to offer though since you are already a seasoned performer and have probably gone through everything with a fine comb

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#187774 - 07/14/07 06:34 AM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Dnj Offline

zuki....why not upgrade since your now
"livin THe Good Life" to the S900 or T2.....if your full time you should have the very best.

#187775 - 07/14/07 06:58 AM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Larry,

When you press the Direct Access button, then the Freeze button it should open the Freeze Group Settings Page. This will allow you to select the items you wish to freeze. Place a check mark in Tempo and you're good to go.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#187776 - 07/14/07 07:32 AM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
zuki....why not upgrade since your now
"livin THe Good Life" to the S900 or T2.....if your full time you should have the very best.

The "Good Life" is not a time proven thing yet. As a businessman, I have to work within my current budget, which is just fine for now. I don't foresee any additional jobs by changing keyboards.

zuki

#187777 - 07/14/07 09:35 AM Re: PSR S900 First impressions

Hello

Although I have not looked at the S900 manual, I believe that what you are describing is a great new feature that I discovered the hard way, live at an important gig with a quartet I was playing with.

On the Tyros 2 I found at first that if I went from one style to another that it would change speeds to the default.

On investigating I found the following, whic I suspect is what you now have:

Function>Style Setting>Style Change Behavior

Then set Tempo Hold/Reset.

You may also have Part On/Off, which allows me to turn off different parts of the style and those parts stay turned off as you go from one style to the other both with and without stopping in between.

As far as styles only being used at or about at the default speed is not totally using your kb with the most options. I have found you can take a lot of styles and set them for dramatically different speeds and it sounds great. The intros and endings may not sound right, but the varitations can really work out at even radical changes like very fast to medium to slow. Test it out. If you're not doing it you're missing a lot on your kb.

Best
Scott www.ScottLMusic.com

#187778 - 07/14/07 09:39 AM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
jwyvern Offline

Quote:

Beakybird

On Tyros you can determine whether you want the Tempo held or reset at a Style change. Do you have that option on S900?
On Ty2 there's a Style Setting Tab alongside the Split point & Chord Fingering Tabs. (Get to them via Function button/Style Setting etc.)

John

Later Edit - Cross Post- Great Minds Scott - Can't delete it now! John

[This message has been edited by jwyvern (edited 07-14-2007).]

#187779 - 07/14/07 09:50 AM Re: PSR S900 First impressions

The Tyros 2 also has a "Section Set" under Style Change Behavior, which allows me to choose Off, Intro, or Main A, B, C or D.

This means if I find I use one variation more than the other that I can set it to say variation B and whenever I change a style, it will go directly to that variation.

Scott

#187780 - 07/14/07 09:55 AM Re: PSR S900 First impressions

One more thought, you can really, really make your keyboard sound much more like a live band by switching between styles on the fly. Some very outstanding results can come from this, IF you have an idea of which other similar type styles you can go to.

Scott

#187781 - 07/14/07 10:07 AM Re: PSR S900 First impressions

The Tempo Hold/Reset will operate while going from one style to another without stopping.

Once you stop the style, it will choose the default speed.

#187782 - 07/14/07 12:04 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
it's often necessary/desirable to hold tempo for style change.
for me it's gotta do this, and without making moves..

but when you want to have the style switch come at
a different tempo, why not use the tap tempo to
place it exactly where you feel you would like it to be
instead of always accepting the preset tempo? sometimes
the preset tempo is too close to what you are playing..
or too radically different..
sounds weird when you make a tempo change like that
for no good reason.

------------------
Miami Mo

#187783 - 07/14/07 01:36 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Beakybird Offline

I did discover that parameter in the style settings page, and I was able to make it so that the style stays at the same tempo.

The registration freeze button would do nothing for this, because you are selecting a style not a registration that might have a style on it.

Anyway, I couldn't resist bringing my defective PSR-S900 along to my shows today. The keyboard seems to work, as long as I don't touch the data select dial, which is difficult, as you know.

But since all of my registrations from the PSR3000 work fine on the PSR S900, I risked it.

Everything worked fine. I'm starting on the cumbersome chore of revoicing my registrations to take advantage of the new voices.

I am also revoicing some of my styles. I would like to take advantage of the mega voice acoustic bass on my styles, but I suspect that it would be next to impossible to revoice all my styles with acoustic bass. I wish Yamaha had made it easier. They have this mega enhancer software, but it only works with midis, not with styles.

Anyway, as far as live play, I have these challenges:

1. The INTRO A button - for breaks - is too close to other buttons.
2. The registration FREEZE button is too close to the MEMORY button.
3. There aren't enough DIRECT ACCESS options to change parameters. With the PSR3000, you could go to almost any specific place on the keyboard. A lot of work went into that. If you use direct access a lot to navigate into submenus, you will discover that the PSR S900 is quite inferior to the PSR3000.

I had fun at my performances today, though. The Aloha guitar sounds fantastic on the preset OTSs, and I used this sound to revoice a lot of my Hawaiian song registrations.

Beakybird

#187784 - 07/14/07 02:28 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions

Hi Beakybird

Doesn't Michael Bedesem have some kind of program for that? I've never had to do much if any revoiceing, usually the voice the kb picks seems pretty good in most cases.

As far as buttons being too close to others, I noticed that when I had a PSR3000 for a short while. The memory button for me is way too close to preset #8, as compared to the Tyros1/2, which more than once led me to aim for preset 8 and instead hit the memory button, which then proceeded to memorize the last setting I happened to be using. After this happened a few times, I ALWAYS had a back-up for my Reg Mem.

Larry, do you happen to know the exact weight of the S900. I don't believe I've come across that yet.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 07-14-2007).]

#187785 - 07/14/07 03:47 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Beakybird Offline

25.55 lbs.

#187786 - 07/14/07 04:41 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Scott,
The PSRS900 also has the "section set" function like the Tyros2. I never knew about this function and just tried it! I love that I can set it to be "intro" and every time I stop the keyboard and call up another style I don't have to remember to hit intro!
Thanks for the tip

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566 www.kayesmusicscene.com

[This message has been edited by George Kaye (edited 07-14-2007).]
(Retired 2021)

#187787 - 07/14/07 07:11 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
sunny152 Offline

Loc: ap
In Korg PA-50 keyboard,there is tempo lock feature that means even though we stop the style and select another style,the tempo remains same and not in case of psr-3000 or s-900.and also there is another nice feature in korg PA-50,the data entry dial automatically set to tempo speed if any style is playing.These features are very important for live playing.I hope Yamaha will fix this problem.

SUNNY.

#187788 - 07/14/07 07:44 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions

Hi Sunny

First of all, I can't possibly imagine who would want to play a song and then play another song the same speed unless you were doing disco or dance all night and had it set to 120

Anyway, if you want to you can easily set the speed of any style and save it different than the default speed.

As far as speed, the tempo buttons are right there in plain view and easy to get at and operate. If for some reason one would want to use the data entry wheel for speed, all you have to do is touch the tempo buttons and the data wheel then works for tempo. It is a quick access multi function control.

I don't think Yamaha needs to change anything about this at all, IMHO

Scott

#187789 - 07/14/07 09:17 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Beakybird Offline

A couple more observations.

The music rest is the same as the PSR3000, but the slots look a little more sturdy. Also the rest seems to be lay a little lower so your sheet music will get a tiny bit less in the way of the audience.

I loaded a bunch of original Tyros 2 styles onto my USB. Then I played a bunch of them. The same styles that had voices that wouldn't play on the PSR3000, those voices don't play on the PSR-S900 either. I guess this is because there are still many Megavoices on the Tyros 2 that aren't on the PSR-S900.

The voices on the style part of the keyboard are pretty much the same, but some of the styles are reworked to sound a little better. Where the PSR-S900 shines in comparison with the PSR3000 is with the right hand voices which features the S.A. voices.

Beakybird

#187790 - 07/15/07 12:38 AM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
sunny152 Offline

Loc: ap
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
Hi Sunny

First of all, I can't possibly imagine who would want to play a song and then play another song the same speed unless you were doing disco or dance all night and had it set to 120

Anyway, if you want to you can easily set the speed of any style and save it different than the default speed.

As far as speed, the tempo buttons are right there in plain view and easy to get at and operate. If for some reason one would want to use the data entry wheel for speed, all you have to do is touch the tempo buttons and the data wheel then works for tempo. It is a quick access multi function control.

I don't think Yamaha needs to change anything about this at all, IMHO

Scott

Scott,
During live performance adjusting tempo speed with data entry wheel is more convenient rather using tempo up/down buttons and secondly it is always not possible to play styles from the registrations.So tempo lock button and automatic assigning of tempo speed to the data entry wheel when playing style is highly needed in future PSR keyboards.

SUNNY

[This message has been edited by sunny152 (edited 07-15-2007).]

#187791 - 07/15/07 03:04 AM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
jwyvern Offline

Quote:
The Tempo Hold/Reset will operate while going from one style to another without stopping.

Once you stop the style, it will choose the default speed.

With Tempo Hold on I can change styles on Ty2, turn them off & on and the existing tempo will remain if I do nothing else to change it. To get the default tempo it's necessary to press tempo + & - buttons simultaneously

John

[This message has been edited by jwyvern (edited 07-15-2007).]

#187792 - 07/15/07 09:03 AM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
I can't possibly imagine who would want to play a song and then play another song the same speed unless you were doing disco or dance all night and had it set to 120

Hi Scott... It isn't really about playing two songs at the same tempo, it is about going from maybe one swing style to another without having the tempo jump, while playing the SAME song. In other words, if the chorus for a song sounds better with a different style to the style that best suits the verse, it is easier if you don't have to pre-program the tempo in BOTH styles. Just select the style on the fly, and Roland's make sure the tempo doesn't change to the default (unless you want it to!)...

It vastly increases your style choices for a song, without making you jump through hoops pre-programming tempos (and even that doesn't help if you decide to play it a little faster one night)....

And for dance medleys, if you come to the end of a waltz, want to immediately go to another waltz (but with a stop) and want to select a different waltz style, the tempo 'lock' avoids having to jack around with the tempo button before you can start...

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 07-15-2007).]

#187793 - 07/15/07 09:51 AM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
jwyvern Offline

Quoting Diki,
"Just select the style on the fly, and Roland's make sure the tempo doesn't change to the default (unless you want it to!)..."

This seems to infer that only Rolands do this.
(Perhaps my post above was invisible )

John

#187794 - 07/15/07 10:03 AM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Beakybird Offline

I'm noticing that some styles that have the same name as on the Tyros 2 have been changed: Quickstep, Organ Ballad, and Motor City are different.

Beakybird

#187795 - 07/15/07 10:09 AM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
No, not implying Roland's only do this (never said that at all, your inference, not mine..), just trying to explain why a tempo LOCK is useful for more than disco medleys... (I quoted Scott's post, in answer to WHY this might be needed).

Just got a bit enthusiastic describing the other options as well, because there seemed some confusion on this thread (probably mostly mine!)...

#187796 - 07/15/07 11:55 AM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
Quote:
I'm noticing that some styles that have the same name as on the Tyros 2 have been changed: Quickstep, Organ Ballad, and Motor City are different.

Beakybird

Cool Beakybird,
Tomorrow I may be getting my delivery then I can maybe help with all the new discoverings. Sure hope so.
Jim

#187797 - 07/15/07 06:12 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
tom moon Offline

Loc: Haddonfield, NJ, USA
a sequencer question: does the S900 have the ability to set a loop point A-B, as on the Tyros? very difficult to tell this from the info on the net, and nobody has them around here yet.

thanks....

#187798 - 07/15/07 07:55 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Beakybird Offline

I didn't see anything in the manual about looping. I would download the manual and do a search through the PDF file.

I brought the PSR S900 to a couple of jobs today. As you know, I'm operating the keyboard without being able to use the data select dial. The shows went very well. I performed for the Northwest Suburban Over 50's Club, and I got a fantastic response. One lady came up to me and asked me how much the keyboard cost. Before I could answer, she made a guess: $16,000. She couldn't believe that the price is 1/10 that.

Those S.A. voices are great. I wish I could afford two Tyros' instead of two PSR S900s.

Beakybird

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online