SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#187787 - 07/14/07 07:11 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
sunny152 Offline

Loc: ap
In Korg PA-50 keyboard,there is tempo lock feature that means even though we stop the style and select another style,the tempo remains same and not in case of psr-3000 or s-900.and also there is another nice feature in korg PA-50,the data entry dial automatically set to tempo speed if any style is playing.These features are very important for live playing.I hope Yamaha will fix this problem.

SUNNY.

#187788 - 07/14/07 07:44 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Sunny

First of all, I can't possibly imagine who would want to play a song and then play another song the same speed unless you were doing disco or dance all night and had it set to 120

Anyway, if you want to you can easily set the speed of any style and save it different than the default speed.

As far as speed, the tempo buttons are right there in plain view and easy to get at and operate. If for some reason one would want to use the data entry wheel for speed, all you have to do is touch the tempo buttons and the data wheel then works for tempo. It is a quick access multi function control.

I don't think Yamaha needs to change anything about this at all, IMHO

Scott

#187789 - 07/14/07 09:17 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Beakybird Offline

A couple more observations.

The music rest is the same as the PSR3000, but the slots look a little more sturdy. Also the rest seems to be lay a little lower so your sheet music will get a tiny bit less in the way of the audience.

I loaded a bunch of original Tyros 2 styles onto my USB. Then I played a bunch of them. The same styles that had voices that wouldn't play on the PSR3000, those voices don't play on the PSR-S900 either. I guess this is because there are still many Megavoices on the Tyros 2 that aren't on the PSR-S900.

The voices on the style part of the keyboard are pretty much the same, but some of the styles are reworked to sound a little better. Where the PSR-S900 shines in comparison with the PSR3000 is with the right hand voices which features the S.A. voices.

Beakybird

#187790 - 07/15/07 12:38 AM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
sunny152 Offline

Loc: ap
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
Hi Sunny

First of all, I can't possibly imagine who would want to play a song and then play another song the same speed unless you were doing disco or dance all night and had it set to 120

Anyway, if you want to you can easily set the speed of any style and save it different than the default speed.

As far as speed, the tempo buttons are right there in plain view and easy to get at and operate. If for some reason one would want to use the data entry wheel for speed, all you have to do is touch the tempo buttons and the data wheel then works for tempo. It is a quick access multi function control.

I don't think Yamaha needs to change anything about this at all, IMHO

Scott

Scott,
During live performance adjusting tempo speed with data entry wheel is more convenient rather using tempo up/down buttons and secondly it is always not possible to play styles from the registrations.So tempo lock button and automatic assigning of tempo speed to the data entry wheel when playing style is highly needed in future PSR keyboards.

SUNNY

[This message has been edited by sunny152 (edited 07-15-2007).]

#187791 - 07/15/07 03:04 AM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
jwyvern Offline

Quote:
The Tempo Hold/Reset will operate while going from one style to another without stopping.

Once you stop the style, it will choose the default speed.

With Tempo Hold on I can change styles on Ty2, turn them off & on and the existing tempo will remain if I do nothing else to change it. To get the default tempo it's necessary to press tempo + & - buttons simultaneously

John

[This message has been edited by jwyvern (edited 07-15-2007).]

#187792 - 07/15/07 09:03 AM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
I can't possibly imagine who would want to play a song and then play another song the same speed unless you were doing disco or dance all night and had it set to 120

Hi Scott... It isn't really about playing two songs at the same tempo, it is about going from maybe one swing style to another without having the tempo jump, while playing the SAME song. In other words, if the chorus for a song sounds better with a different style to the style that best suits the verse, it is easier if you don't have to pre-program the tempo in BOTH styles. Just select the style on the fly, and Roland's make sure the tempo doesn't change to the default (unless you want it to!)...

It vastly increases your style choices for a song, without making you jump through hoops pre-programming tempos (and even that doesn't help if you decide to play it a little faster one night)....

And for dance medleys, if you come to the end of a waltz, want to immediately go to another waltz (but with a stop) and want to select a different waltz style, the tempo 'lock' avoids having to jack around with the tempo button before you can start...

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 07-15-2007).]

#187793 - 07/15/07 09:51 AM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
jwyvern Offline

Quoting Diki,
"Just select the style on the fly, and Roland's make sure the tempo doesn't change to the default (unless you want it to!)..."

This seems to infer that only Rolands do this.
(Perhaps my post above was invisible )

John

#187794 - 07/15/07 10:03 AM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Beakybird Offline

I'm noticing that some styles that have the same name as on the Tyros 2 have been changed: Quickstep, Organ Ballad, and Motor City are different.

Beakybird

#187795 - 07/15/07 10:09 AM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
No, not implying Roland's only do this (never said that at all, your inference, not mine..), just trying to explain why a tempo LOCK is useful for more than disco medleys... (I quoted Scott's post, in answer to WHY this might be needed).

Just got a bit enthusiastic describing the other options as well, because there seemed some confusion on this thread (probably mostly mine!)...

#187796 - 07/15/07 11:55 AM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
I'm noticing that some styles that have the same name as on the Tyros 2 have been changed: Quickstep, Organ Ballad, and Motor City are different.

Beakybird

Cool Beakybird,
Tomorrow I may be getting my delivery then I can maybe help with all the new discoverings. Sure hope so.
Jim

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online