SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#187777 - 07/14/07 09:35 AM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

Although I have not looked at the S900 manual, I believe that what you are describing is a great new feature that I discovered the hard way, live at an important gig with a quartet I was playing with.

On the Tyros 2 I found at first that if I went from one style to another that it would change speeds to the default.

On investigating I found the following, whic I suspect is what you now have:

Function>Style Setting>Style Change Behavior

Then set Tempo Hold/Reset.

You may also have Part On/Off, which allows me to turn off different parts of the style and those parts stay turned off as you go from one style to the other both with and without stopping in between.

As far as styles only being used at or about at the default speed is not totally using your kb with the most options. I have found you can take a lot of styles and set them for dramatically different speeds and it sounds great. The intros and endings may not sound right, but the varitations can really work out at even radical changes like very fast to medium to slow. Test it out. If you're not doing it you're missing a lot on your kb.

Best
Scott www.ScottLMusic.com

#187778 - 07/14/07 09:39 AM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
jwyvern Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:

I'm really enjoying the new voices, but I'm finding another thing that I have a beef with that Yamaha should fix.

With the PSR3000 and other models, if you are playing one style and switch to another while the first style is still playing, the tempo remains the same. Not with the PSR S900. The tempo follows the default tempo of each style. What's the advantage of that? If I'm playing a style for an audience, and I decide that I wanted to play the song in another style, then I'm in trouble now. If I change to the desired style, the tempo will fluctuate and I will mess up the song.

Beakybird

On Tyros you can determine whether you want the Tempo held or reset at a Style change. Do you have that option on S900?
On Ty2 there's a Style Setting Tab alongside the Split point & Chord Fingering Tabs. (Get to them via Function button/Style Setting etc.)

John

Later Edit - Cross Post- Great Minds Scott - Can't delete it now! John

[This message has been edited by jwyvern (edited 07-14-2007).]

#187779 - 07/14/07 09:50 AM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Scott Langholff Offline

The Tyros 2 also has a "Section Set" under Style Change Behavior, which allows me to choose Off, Intro, or Main A, B, C or D.

This means if I find I use one variation more than the other that I can set it to say variation B and whenever I change a style, it will go directly to that variation.

Scott

#187780 - 07/14/07 09:55 AM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Scott Langholff Offline

One more thought, you can really, really make your keyboard sound much more like a live band by switching between styles on the fly. Some very outstanding results can come from this, IF you have an idea of which other similar type styles you can go to.

Scott

#187781 - 07/14/07 10:07 AM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Scott Langholff Offline

The Tempo Hold/Reset will operate while going from one style to another without stopping.

Once you stop the style, it will choose the default speed.

#187782 - 07/14/07 12:04 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
it's often necessary/desirable to hold tempo for style change.
for me it's gotta do this, and without making moves..

but when you want to have the style switch come at
a different tempo, why not use the tap tempo to
place it exactly where you feel you would like it to be
instead of always accepting the preset tempo? sometimes
the preset tempo is too close to what you are playing..
or too radically different..
sounds weird when you make a tempo change like that
for no good reason.

------------------
Miami Mo

#187783 - 07/14/07 01:36 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Beakybird Offline

I did discover that parameter in the style settings page, and I was able to make it so that the style stays at the same tempo.

The registration freeze button would do nothing for this, because you are selecting a style not a registration that might have a style on it.

Anyway, I couldn't resist bringing my defective PSR-S900 along to my shows today. The keyboard seems to work, as long as I don't touch the data select dial, which is difficult, as you know.

But since all of my registrations from the PSR3000 work fine on the PSR S900, I risked it.

Everything worked fine. I'm starting on the cumbersome chore of revoicing my registrations to take advantage of the new voices.

I am also revoicing some of my styles. I would like to take advantage of the mega voice acoustic bass on my styles, but I suspect that it would be next to impossible to revoice all my styles with acoustic bass. I wish Yamaha had made it easier. They have this mega enhancer software, but it only works with midis, not with styles.

Anyway, as far as live play, I have these challenges:

1. The INTRO A button - for breaks - is too close to other buttons.
2. The registration FREEZE button is too close to the MEMORY button.
3. There aren't enough DIRECT ACCESS options to change parameters. With the PSR3000, you could go to almost any specific place on the keyboard. A lot of work went into that. If you use direct access a lot to navigate into submenus, you will discover that the PSR S900 is quite inferior to the PSR3000.

I had fun at my performances today, though. The Aloha guitar sounds fantastic on the preset OTSs, and I used this sound to revoice a lot of my Hawaiian song registrations.

Beakybird

#187784 - 07/14/07 02:28 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Scott Langholff Offline

Hi Beakybird

Doesn't Michael Bedesem have some kind of program for that? I've never had to do much if any revoiceing, usually the voice the kb picks seems pretty good in most cases.

As far as buttons being too close to others, I noticed that when I had a PSR3000 for a short while. The memory button for me is way too close to preset #8, as compared to the Tyros1/2, which more than once led me to aim for preset 8 and instead hit the memory button, which then proceeded to memorize the last setting I happened to be using. After this happened a few times, I ALWAYS had a back-up for my Reg Mem.

Larry, do you happen to know the exact weight of the S900. I don't believe I've come across that yet.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 07-14-2007).]

#187785 - 07/14/07 03:47 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Beakybird Offline

25.55 lbs.

#187786 - 07/14/07 04:41 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Scott,
The PSRS900 also has the "section set" function like the Tyros2. I never knew about this function and just tried it! I love that I can set it to be "intro" and every time I stop the keyboard and call up another style I don't have to remember to hit intro!
Thanks for the tip

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566 www.kayesmusicscene.com

[This message has been edited by George Kaye (edited 07-14-2007).]
(Retired 2021)

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online