SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#184541 - 01/11/05 04:42 AM Re: Transpose Button
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I've gotten in trouble using the transpose button and have trained myself to stay away from it. Especially when you play with other musicians!!! LOL.

Imagine my surprise when they start the song in G and I start in the key of A!!!

I'll never do that again.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#184542 - 01/11/05 06:27 AM Re: Transpose Button
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Like many of you, I will use the transpose button however necessary ... to allow me to play a particular song in a certain key which 'feels' more comfortable for my hands, while singing it in a key that's more comfortable for my voice ... I've also used it sometimes after singing for quite a while and then needing to sing a song that 'stretches' my vocal range, OR if I have a slight cold or something like that ... I appreciate the ability to just 'drop down' the key at the touch of a button ... of course it's not that easy to do if you're playing with others ... AND, if you've used the transpose you had better pay attention before starting the next tune ... ...
The kn6000 transposes a 1/2 step at a time for I think up to 5 whole tones ... I'll have to check that tonight ... but as others said, be careful for the sounds ...
AND the transpose button is INVALUABLE ( priceless?? ) when backing up someone who sings/plays in odd keys ...
and let's not forget using it for the last chorus of a song just to 'kick it up a notch' ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 01-11-2005).]

#184543 - 01/11/05 12:55 PM Re: Transpose Button
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
let's not forget using it for the last chorus of a song

There is no shame attached to it. It's a legit tool on a digital instrument. Just like a capo for certain fingerpicking techniques on guitar.
A seasoned player MAY be able to accomplish the same thing without it, but maybe not.

Digital gear has forever changed the way music is created. 40 years ago there wasn't even a catagory for digital instruments. We were taught that even electronic organs didn't qualify as legit instruments because they didn't make any sound on their own.
The four groups presented to me at Temple were:
Strings
Brass
Woodwinds
Percussion
No where was there room for anything that created sound without moving air through a speaker first.

To quote Mr. Zimmerman:
"The time's they are a changin' "

#184544 - 01/11/05 01:15 PM Re: Transpose Button
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
The four groups presented to me at Temple were:
Strings
Brass
Woodwinds
Percussion

... and where in those groups did my accordion fall ???
t.

#184545 - 01/11/05 01:28 PM Re: Transpose Button
Dnj Offline

so I guess people using the trasnpose button playing everything in "C" AND using the One finger chord vs fingered chord changing is cheating also? Hmmmmm? who makes up these "musicaly correct" rules?

#184546 - 01/11/05 01:37 PM Re: Transpose Button
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
I've never considered myself a musisian

Gar, me neither. A musician yes, but not a musisian.

Scott

#184547 - 01/11/05 05:49 PM Re: Transpose Button
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
... and where in those groups did my accordion fall ?

Hmmmm. they use reeds right? Probably woodwind.

#184548 - 01/11/05 09:36 PM Re: Transpose Button
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
This subject has been tossed back and forth before but IMO to become a truly accomplished keyboard musician you should try and stay away from using the transpose button in all but the most dire of circumstances.

Granted, I do use the transpose feature on occasion, like when using Midi files and trying to sing along in a Key that is comfortable to my range when the song is in a Key that is NOT conducive to my voice range. But when it comes to actually playing the keyboard, i.e. the Keys themselves - I make it a point to transpose using my own two hands. It takes some effort to learn to do it, but the rewards are well worth it especially if you play with a Band as Al stated. Mistakes are bound to happen in a Live situation with a Band and you try to use the transpose feature. Not a pretty sight, as Al found out.

>> Want to be a run of the mill keyboard player and musician? - then use the transpose button frequently and repeatedly. Want to eventually become an accomplished and skilled keyboard player and musician? Then learn to do the transposing yourself using your own two hands and relegate the transpose buttons to all but the most dire of circumstances or in a Studio for - .eg. (special recording purposes), or when using Midi files and wanting to sing a song in a comfortable key. Other than that, learn to do the transposing yourself with your chops when actually playing the keyboard.

Besides, think of the thrill you'll get when you learn all those new Chords just waiting to be discovered! And you'll actually be able to play them with your own two hands with a bit of practice!... Just think of it!

My 2¢..

Best regards,
Mike

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online