SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#179612 - 11/19/04 06:45 AM The ideal trio, playing bass with left hand
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I'm still messing around with bandmates and it's a struggle. Yep, might give up and be OMB. BUT... if I could find a couple of players, there are benefits of working with others.

I have also been searching for a DUO partner. A keyboard player who could also play guitar, that would be ideal. We could use tracks or auto-accompaniment. I also play guitar and keys. However, I really like live drums. Nothing like that oomph.

A bass player is hugely helpful, giving that bottom end AND rhythm. BUT... I was thinking, instead of a TRIO of me on guitar, bass and drums... it would be better to have me on guitar, KEYS, and drums. Because keys can do almost anything. PLUS... many of the songs I do have/need an organ or piano in the mix.

So, bass lines, that's the issue. Now, I mean WITHOUT using tracks... if I could, I would rather do this TRIO thing live. I could do tracks or auto-accompaniment on solo or duo jobs.

Can you play bass lines with your left hand? Is this an unusual skill or do you think many people could do this?

Or, any comments on the ideal TRIO makeup.

Again, my focus is original music and as for genre, it's all over the map but heavy on what I call country-rock. Country, acoustic-rock, folk, country blues. But for "regular" gigs where you have to play covers, I have to play more rock-oriented stuff. Even r&b stuff.

P.S. I could add more players and accomplish what I want but if I could do it with just THREE people, that would be cool.

#179613 - 11/19/04 07:02 AM Re: The ideal trio, playing bass with left hand
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Left Hand bass is my favorite way to play.....even as a OMB. It's not only possible, but PREFERABLE in many ways because it really keeps teh groove together. The bass lines and the chords worl together, they "kick" together and provide a unique, fresh arrangement each time you sit down to play. The bass is the SOUL of the arrangement, and is a BLAST to lay down in real time.
Get a player that listens to and compliments the drummer, and you'll have a great time together. There will be almost no need to reherse, because the piano, bass and drums will be right there. You just have to add the guitar "fluff" on top. Sounds like fun - good luck in your search!

#179614 - 11/19/04 07:23 AM Re: The ideal trio, playing bass with left hand
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Of course it's possible...the Doors did it...Jimmy Smith, Richard "Groove" Holmes and all those great old B3 players did it, and most importantly, almost everyone that does sequences does it. If you listen to any arranger, baselines were generally done playing left hand bass.

At first, when you play left hand bass live it's kind of like patting your head and rubbing your stomach at the same time, but you eventually get in synch.

Russ

#179615 - 11/19/04 07:27 AM Re: The ideal trio, playing bass with left hand
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Well, I certainly know it's possible since I've heard guys do it, I just wondered if it's a pretty simple thing for a decent keyboardist. I'm not good enough to do it. Then again, I'm not very good at all!

Thanks for the info. Anyone else?

#179616 - 11/19/04 07:29 AM Re: The ideal trio, playing bass with left hand
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
the Doors did it

Really? There were four guys. They didn't have a bass player?

#179617 - 11/19/04 07:42 AM Re: The ideal trio, playing bass with left hand
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I too enjoy taking a good LH walk (on the keyboard). Unfortunately, on Yamaha arrangers, it's not possible to play & trigger auto accomp chords in the right hand, freeing up the left hand to play bass lines. This is a very popular piano player comping style. and sorely missed on Yamaha arrangers. The only time I'm able to do the left hand bass line thing (on my Tyros) is with auto accompaniment turned off, or with auto accompaniment drums only. I hope Yamaha will seriously consider adding a right hand chord (triggering) option on their next arranger (Tyros 2?), as I believe Korg & other brand arrangers already include this feature.

Scott

#179618 - 11/19/04 07:53 AM Re: The ideal trio, playing bass with left hand
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Playing left hand bass is the way to go. But another possibility, especially since you also play guitar, is to play foot bass - same concept as left hand, but the keys are a lot bigger. As an organist first, I still play foot bass and left hand bass. It's great when you're playing piano and can play a string bass with yyour feet.

I just so happen to be considering putting my MidiStep pedals up for auction. You'd also need a basic sound generator (MIDI'd up to the pedals). If you're interested, drop me a line.

#179619 - 11/19/04 08:01 AM Re: The ideal trio, playing bass with left hand
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
I second Scott's wish! I love to play LH bass lines (with RH comping) when in a duo or trio, with or without drums, but sadly, with the auto-accompaniement OFF. I think at least Korg allows to trigger chords from the right hand. This would really open new possibilities to our playing styles! -- José.

#179620 - 11/19/04 10:13 AM Re: The ideal trio, playing bass with left hand
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
I play left hand bass on the keyboard all the time. And as UD points out, it really adds the LIVE touch and synchronization to the music. It adds that extra accents and punch a lot. I usually jack up the left hand volume the highest level along with drums and keep the main and layer voice lower.

I use the drum rythms only without the accompaniment. And I tell you, I am NOT missing a thing without those other stuff going on. My right hand does the comping with pianos, layered strings and occassionaly throw in solid guitar voice, brass, sax, whatever to spice things up.

Everything is TIGHT !!!

#179621 - 11/19/04 10:18 AM Re: The ideal trio, playing bass with left hand
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
No, the Doors had Jim Morrison, a guy on guitar (SG Standard), a drummer and a keyboard player who played a Farfisa (uck)
and left-handed bass on a 13 note Rhodes bass keyboard unit. That left-handed keyboard bass really defined their sound.I used to use one in pre-historic (before B-3) times. The Doors (minus Morrison, of course) are touring again with the same lineup. Look at old footage and you'll see the Rhodes unit to the left of the organ, slightly elivated above the keyboard.

Russ

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online