SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#17546 - 04/07/00 10:48 AM Also trinity vs triton
Element Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL USA
is the extra polyphony in the triton and sampling all worth the extra money?? i dont know if i want to be limited to 32 polyphony with the trinity, and i heard the trinity does a lil better on synth sounds... im sooooooo confused on what to get, i try to go play with them in the store but i have no clue what im doing, the only way to learn is to sit down with the damn thing for a few days.. im really interested in making techno/trance and drum n bass music, please expereinced people help me

#17547 - 04/07/00 09:00 PM Re: Also trinity vs triton
Vimlesh Offline

Loc: Majuro, Marshall Islands
Hi there,

After waiting for a very long time (8 yrs) I'm buying another Korg - a Triton. You've mentioned that you're interested in techno/dance/trance music and are worried about polyphony. The Triton has a better effects processor, multisample library, and a very powerful appegiator - which I believe is used a lot in dance/techno/trance music. With the on board sampler, you should be able to add sampled breakbeats and other innuendos. The on board controllers are also powerful and if you want unique sounds the optional MOSS board should do the trick for you. The best course of action that I would recommend you take is to be-friend a Triton and Trinity dealer and do some programming, sequencing etc with the access to the manuals. That's how I was able to decide on the purchase of the Korg X3 and not the Roland JV1000, or the Yamaha W5/W7.

You ask whether the extra features are worth the $$$ ... I was convinced, especially when I compared the price of a Triton and Trinity.

Best of luck

#17548 - 04/20/00 04:30 AM Re: Also trinity vs triton
Korgasm Offline

Loc: Australia
The Trinity is a great instrument but I sold mine to buy my Triton.

The many extra features of the Triton make it a better buy-

a). Nearly twice as much polyphony- 62 notes instead of 32 notes (extra 6 notes added with MOSS board).
b). Extra sequencer functions like cue lists, induvidual track looping, SMF song play mode, 200,000 note memory and 100 song locations in Triton verses 80,000 notes and 20 song locations on Trinity. Editing wise however, both sequencers are fairly similar.
c). Triton's improved user interface and touchscreen which allows you to directly audition different sounds under the various categories. Faster touchscreen and menus don't dissapear now after releasing your finger from the screen.
d). Sampler with some nice functions like timestretching, crossfade looping and time slicing as well as up to 64MB of RAM. The Trinity cannot sample at all.
e). 2 very poweful Z1 style arpeggiators.
f). Extra waveforms (particularly more drum sounds as standard). Waveform ROM can be expanded by up to 2 16MB expansion boards.
g). Much more program and combination memory storage.
h). 6 freely assignable outputs with flexible routing in Triton versus the 4 outputs with spastic routing in Trinity.
i). More flexible insert/master effects arrangment and 3 band master EQ.
j). 2 analogue inputs allow you to turn the Triton into a powerful 2 in 6 out effects unit!
k). 4 real time controller knobs plus 3 knobs for arpeggiator.
l). Direct Mac/PC interface to hook straight to a computer without having to use a separate MIDI interface.

The Trinity beats the Triton-
a). Better filters (with extra modes and fully resonant).
b). Up to 8 insert effects at once (but these were only mono in/mono out) so in actual fact, the Triton wins out when running true stereo effects- the Trinity can fun up to 4 stereo insert effects but the Triton can run 5.
c). 4 track hard disk recording option- not that much of a loss IMHO! This was overpriced and way underpowered.
d). Optional digital outs (in both ADAT and SPDIF format). Not much of an issue for me personally.
e). The Trinity looks a bit better IMHO and seems to be slightly better built. But don't let this put you off the Triton because it's build quanlity is still fine IMHO!
f). I think the Trinity's ribbon controller responds to pressure also not just sliding your finger over it (I'm not 100% sure on this though!).

What both instruments offer-

a). Optional 6 voice moss board (but the Triton's is also multi-timbral).
b). Optional SCSI connection.
c). Fantastic/Awesome sounds!!!!!!!!!!

However, go for the Triton! As you can see above, the Trinity is great but the Triton offers so much more! Go for it!!!!! Cheers.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online