SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11 >
Topic Options
#172620 - 02/10/04 04:10 PM Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi everyone,

After discussing the idea with Bill Forest aka 'Bebop' (SZ Technics forum moderator) we've decided to present the idea of holding a SZ Arranger Keyboard member & friends get together in San Jose, California. Bebop lives in a mobile home community which includes a clubhouse available for holding special events. The only thing required of clubhouse management is that a cleaning deposit be made, and this expense be divided among the attendees (approx. $10 per person).

A two day event would be a terrific opportunity for Synthzone members arranger keyboard enthusiasts who live on the West Coast (and beyond) to meet, play music, and pick up arranger playing tips from one another. As a pro player, I might present a concert and possibly even host a keyboard workshop as well. Hopefully other pro players and/or dealers will participate and offer their expertise as well. Attendee keyboard jam sessions would be another highlight of the event, but the real draw of this get together is the opportunity to hang out with other arranger keyboard enthusiasts and further the friendships we've made with each other on the Synthzone forum. This get together is NOT arranger brand/model specific. All arranger keyboard enthusiasts are encouraged to attend.

I really would love to see this West Coast Synthzone Arranger Keyboard Event happen, but the only way it will is if there is enough real interest from people to actually attend. Bebop & I have selected two available weekend dates in 2004 that the clubhouse is currently available: The weekend of May 22nd & 23rd, and the weekend of September 11th & 12th. The reasoning for these date choices is because the first date is a week before Memorial Day, and the second falls the weekend following Labor Day, offering better travel convenience (air, car, train) and possibly lower lodging rates & increased availability. Both Bebop's & my preferred choice would be the weekend of May 22nd and 23rd.

In addition to San Jose being centrally located, there are many wonderful tourist attractions within an easy drive: the beautiful Monterey Peninsula to the South, and San Francisco & the Wine Country to the North, and of course San Jose itself has many offerings as well.

I hope everyone here will seriously consider a trip to Northern California for what promises to be a fun filled Arranger keyboard weekend for all, and the opportunity to enjoy the beautiful Bay Area as well. The weather in May is idea.

If there is enough serious interest in attending (over 15 people) we'll take it to the 'next' level. Please contribute your thoughts and let us know which of the above dates you would be able to attend. Thanks, - Scott Yee

#172621 - 02/10/04 04:14 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
trtjazz Offline

Scott
Maybe.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#172622 - 02/10/04 04:31 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

Come on Terry, I only 'hope' yours is not just a maybe. As a major Northern California contributor on SZ, your absence would be really missed.

In order to insure this event to actually happen though, enough real 'serious' interest (at least 15 people) is needed before I think it worth it to take it to the next level. I'm hoping the Central California San Jose location will lure our Southern California SZ friends to take the drive (or short flight up) as well. You guys from further afar, it would be a perfect opportunity for a California vacation too. Come on guys, waiting to hear from you.

- Scott

#172623 - 02/10/04 04:46 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
I am in for both dates.

Just an idea is to bring in a different latest arranger keyboards all in one place:

-Ketron arrangers
-Genesys
-Technics
-Roland
-Yamaha (tyros and the latest stuff)
-Korg PA1X
etc

#172624 - 02/10/04 06:23 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Sounds good to me.
Frank

#172625 - 02/10/04 06:32 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
1. Scott how far is San Jose from Salinas?
2. I'll just bring my Sax would that be OK?
3. How close is the nearest camp ground?
Count me in.
Boo

#172626 - 02/10/04 06:41 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately this Michigander isn't retired yet and coming that far west isn't feasible for me now. Good luck.

#172627 - 02/10/04 07:10 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Quote:
Originally posted by brickboo:
Count me in.
Boo

YO Boo,
You just bring the Sax, I got plenty keyboards for you to play.
Salinas is about 50 miles or less from here.
We have a great Rv park only about 10 miles from here. Maple Leaf in Morgan Hill, CA. Good Sam Park too.
There is another but I don't like it as well.
Come on peeps we gots to move on this cause I can't block these dates forever. I just wish y'all could and would come
Best to you all
BEBOP

#172628 - 02/10/04 07:13 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

Great to hear that both Lukitoh and Frank Bez (from Pismo Beach, CA) are "IN"! How about Wizboy, Keyboardplayer, Eric Bott, Paul Curzan, and other Southern California folks. It's a beautiful scenic drive up the coast on hiway 1 to San Jose.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Great idea, I wish I was closer.....
hope it all goes of well......its a great experience to meet oter SZ members..
dont forget to take Pics & Videos for all of us to see too!

Oh Come on Donny, this would be a 'perfect' California vacation opportunity for you and Nancy. You really can't miss out on our delicious fresh bay caught seafood (shrimp & salmon), and of course catching the Crab's at SF Fisherman's Wharf, and of course the wine tasting in Napa Valley. It won't be the same without ya. -

Quote:
Originally posted by Brickboo:

Don't know how far the nearest camp ground is but I'm certain there should be one nearby. Bebop should be able to fill you in on the details. Sure, bring the sax, it would be great have a real acoustic instrument musician to jam with. Your first question brings to mind the lyrics to the Kris Kristofersen tune: Me and Bobbi McGee where it goes "Somewhere near Salinas Lord, I let her getaway" Oh yeah, San Jose is about 50 miles (1 hour) north of Salinas off 101.

cassp: Are you sure you won't like to take a nice sunny California vacation. Just tell the boss you desire some R&R.

Ok, so far 5 people have already shown a strong desire to attend. Only need 10 more people now. Btw, according to Bebop, the maximum number of people the club house will hold is 100 people, so theirs plenty of room. Don't miss out on this rare opportunity to meet fellow arranger keyboard enthusiasts in person as well as exchange music ideas and playing secrets first hand.

Scott

#172629 - 02/10/04 08:38 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
BEBOP Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Great to hear that both Lukitoh and Frank Bez (from Pismo Beach, CA) are "IN"! How about Wizboy, Keyboardplayer, Eric Bott, Paul Curzan, and other Southern California folks. It's a beautiful scenic drive up the coast on hiway 1 to San Jose.

Hey Scott, we don't want to overlook Nigel. He lives in Ventura I think it is and his Malibu could hop up here with his yam board and guitar in a hot shake.
come on Nigel this is our personal invitation to you
Bebop

#172630 - 02/10/04 09:17 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

I definitely didn't intend to overlook Nigel. I suppose I only expected, especially since he's SZ chief administrator & our 'main man', that he would not want to miss out on this event, and keep us all 'in line', especially since it's being held as a Synthzone (albeit unofficial) event. I also hope George Kaye might be able to drive (or fly) up from Reseda, and bring a few of his latests arrangers as well.

San Jose has a major international airport so access from all points in the USA and abroad are really convenient, so it would be real cool if others farther afield can make it as well. Keep the responses coming in gang. Scott

#172631 - 02/10/04 09:51 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Can't we make it a little easier on us folks down here in the 'south'? I got an idea but I'm not sure you guys will go for it.

Why don't we meet half way? Where would that be you might ask? Bakersfield! Good ol' Bakersfield. The Country Music capitol on the West Coast. Not only will it essentially equally divide the driving distance between our neighbors up north and those down south but any members driving from the East or Midwest or from Arizona, etc., or if they fly in, Bakersfield has a major airport. You may miss the Salmon and Crab Legs but just think of all the cows you'll get to see out pasturing plus there's sure to be plenty of Denny's restaurants too. And if we get fortunate we may even get to see slick Willy live in concert -(no, not Clinton) . You knooowwwww, Nelson!?!?!

May is out either way. I am planning on being in Houston Texas around that time. Unless my plans change in the mean time.

Come on, wudda ya' say?? Bakersfield or bust??

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 02-10-2004).]

#172632 - 02/10/04 10:30 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
You bet !!! May 22/23 sounds really good to me. I would drive up from Ventura for the get together. The only arranger keyboard I have is a PSR550 and I wouldn't want to bother bringing that so how about I just bring my guitar instead given that there will be plenty of keyboards there already ?

#172633 - 02/10/04 10:31 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
brickboo Offline

When I hit Bakersfield on the way to Carmel two years ago it was 112 degrees there. When I spent the week around Carmel, Pebble Beach, Pacific grove and Salinas it never got over 73 degrees the rest of that week in the middle of August. I'll drive the extra 100 miles or so.

Bebop I'm retired and cheap. I'll stay at the cheapest Camp groung. All I need is a toilet and shower. Really, I'll spend the money I save on extra reeds! I've gotta sound good. I've been talking jazz too much. I don't want Scott to laugh at me.

#172634 - 02/10/04 10:57 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

Guys. I'm really getting psyched up and excited now knowing that Nigel will be coming. I'm feeling a little nervous now though knowing that a REAL bonfide New Orleans jazz player (Boo) will be attending. I'm afraid after going the arranger route, I've forgotten the changes to Lush Life. Guess I'd better get the old Real Book out and start practicing those changes. Boo, hope the arranger's modified rootless jazz voicings will be good enough for you to play your sax over.

This is quickly looking to be an exciting & memorable event. I'm already going to begin counting the days. I hope more people keep responding so we can hit the 15 mark, and hopefully way OVER that mark. Afterall, the clubhouse can hold 100, right Bebop?

Mike, exactly 'where' do you live? I thought it was in/near San Diego.
Southwest Airlines frequently offers terrific cheap deals ($49) from San Diego to San Jose. Just hop on the plane and you can make San Jose in an hour.

I'm afraid I'd only consider meeting in baking hot Bakersfield if you could get Buck Owens to show up and jam with us.

Scott

#172635 - 02/10/04 11:06 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
keybplayer Offline

Quote:
When I hit Bakersfield on the way to Carmel two years ago it was 112 degrees there. When I spent the week around Carmel, Pebble Beach, Pacific grove and Salinas it never got over 73 degrees the rest of that week in the middle of August. I'll drive the extra 100 miles or so.

I'm retired and cheap. I'll stay at the cheapest Camp ground. All I need is a toilet and shower. .

Boo, the average temperature in Bakersfield during September is "76.8" degrees. In May it's "71" degrees. As a contrast San Jose's average temperature in May is "58.1" degrees. And in September it is "64.5" degrees. A little on the chilly side if you ask me. Plus Bakersfield is noted for having many clear sunny days during May and September whereas San Jose is noted for having many gloomy cloudy days during those months. Also Boo, that's why they have Air Conditioned buildings and hotels. Just in case the weather is a little warmer.

And if your on the cheap why on earth would you want to spend the extra dough driving the extra 100 miles (200 total) anyway?? Hummmmm???

Best regards,
Mike

#172636 - 02/10/04 11:23 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
keybplayer Offline

Quote:
Mike, exactly 'where' do you live? I thought it was in/near San Diego.
Southwest Airlines frequently offers terrific cheap deals ($49) from San Diego to San Jose. Just hop on the plane and you can make San Jose in an hour.

I'm afraid I'd only consider meeting in Bakersfield if you could get Buck Owens to show up and jam with us.

Scott

If I flew I wouldn't be able to take my Tyros for one thing Scott. No way would I take my Tyros on a plane and leave its well being in the hands of those airport baggage carriers especially since I don't have a hard case for it. Absolutely NOT!!

You never know, Buck Owens just might show up.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 02-10-2004).]

#172637 - 02/10/04 11:36 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
San Jose's average temperature in May is "58.1" degrees. And in September it is "64.5" degrees.

Mike, sorry, but San Jose's average high temperature in May is 76.3 degrees, and in June is 81.6 degrees, so by mid May it reaches a very pleasant & sunny 78 derees and not at all humid either. Bakersfield's average high in May is 83.9 and in June 91.7, so probably in the high 80's in mid May, a bit warm for ideal comfort to me.

San Jose statistics: http://www.city-data.com/city/San-Jose-California.html
Scroll down the page to see the complete weather stats.

Bakersfield statistics: http://www.city-data.com/city/Bakersfield-California.html
Scroll down the page to see the complete weather stats.

- Scott

#172638 - 02/11/04 12:08 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
keybplayer Offline

Who to believe?

This is where I got my data Scott:

Bakersfield Average Temps

San Jose's Average Temps

Now if we can only figure out which one is correct, if any?

Best regards,
Mike

#172639 - 02/11/04 04:12 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
trtjazz Offline

Scott & Bebop
Hmmmm, I'd have to bring Stick and guitar, since those are my real weapons of choice, or are you looking for this to really be more arranger board only?
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#172640 - 02/11/04 05:43 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Scott,

September might be possible for me. Come on Donny, go on Priceline and get a plane ticket for 200 bucks. It would be fun! If I had your money I'd fly first class.

Tom

Tom

#172641 - 02/11/04 05:48 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
RichUK Offline

Loc: England
If only there were more stargates scattered across the world, I'd be there in seconds...

Scott and Bebop, I hope this comes off! It'd be great to hear all about it, complete with pics, audio and maybe video!

Rich

#172642 - 02/11/04 08:46 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'd love to come, but won't know until closer to the time.
DonM

#172643 - 02/11/04 08:49 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
wizboy Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Scott,

That sounds like a pretty exciting plan. I actually drove from San Diego to San Jose two weeks ago, it was a pretty nice ride, just about 6h
But if I make it, I'll certainly fly this time though since it's only an hour away although I wouldn't be able to bring the VA7 on a plane either

Checking my schedule and still giving this some serious thoughts....

Claude

#172644 - 02/11/04 09:41 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

Hi Rich, I believe Virgin Airline's got 'nonstop' flights from London to San Francisco.

Hey Don. Yes, YES, really hoping you CAN make it . . . and don't forget your clubs. Pebble Beach is just an hour South of San Jose.

Tom, can't make it in May? Well, if there's enough interest in Sept as well, and the May one is a success, perhaps we could book a double hitter.

Claude, it would be great if you could make it, with or without your VA7.

#172645 - 02/11/04 09:47 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I did already meet, perform for, and make some great friends here from the SZ forum . .. I hope to meet many more also. It is one of my future goals for sure......Good Luck !

Donny, if you or one our East coasts buds organizes a SZ get together on your side of the continent, I promise to make every effort to fly back for it.

I encourage others here to rally SZ members in your area (Country, region) to meet as well. Like Donny, I too have been lucky to have met a number of SZ folks in person and it's always been a rewarding experience to finally meet the people you chat with regularly (over the years) on SZ. Long live the Zone ! - Scott

#172646 - 02/11/04 09:49 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
DonM Offline

I'm real close to the middle of the country.
Ya'll come see me, hear?
DonM

#172647 - 02/11/04 09:57 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

Hey Don, Benton is actually pretty high up on my travel itinerary list, as I have family in Lafayette and a friend who's a music professor at Gramling U. Is that very far from you? Still hope you can make it out for the West Coast get together. - Scott

#172648 - 02/11/04 10:18 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
BEBOP Offline

Quote:
Hey Don, Benton is actually pretty high up on my travel itinerary list, as I have family in Lafayette and a friend who's a music professor at Gramling U. Is that very far from you? Still hope you can make it out for the West Coast get together. - Scott

Hey Scott,
Maybe we just throw all our gear in my 35 foot motorhome and we go visit everybody that doesn't make it to the SynthZone Jam.
Whatcha think
Bebop
PS: Bakerspatch is out. I was in business there for two years. No way.
I used to play with Buck Owens at the Blackboard in Oildale about 1960 or so. His Piano Player Don liked lots of breaks to go play on the dance floor so I used to rattle his piano while he was rattling the ladies
Bakersfield was a good party town in those days but now DAZE...............

#172649 - 02/11/04 12:44 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
DonM Offline

Benton is less than an hour from Grambling. All interstate. My son is at school at La. Tech in Ruston, about 5 miles past Grambling.
I'll put the Gumbo on!
DonM

#172650 - 02/11/04 12:50 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
OK, OK

Scott just called me and twisted my arm that my wife and I have to come or else ...

Just talked to my wife and we're in.
We might stay in Carmel for an extended weekend and make a fun trip out of it.

When Scott and I talked we thought we could get to know each other personally and musically on Saturday with some performances. My wife would be up for singing and peforming with me.
Then on Sunday we could have some workshops (while my wife is going to enjoy Carmel)like:
- using vocal harmony,
- using the pitch bend and modulation weels,
- setting up your KB for peformances with memory regs,
- some techniqes on improvisation,
- how to emulate instruments on the KB that they sound realistic etc....

What do you think?
I could help with any of those topics.
I'll be bringing my 9000Pro and maybe my acustic Guitar

Hope to see you all soon.

Eric

#172651 - 02/11/04 01:09 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Dnj Offline

Sounds like its gonna be a great time for all in so many ways!!! Enjoy

#172652 - 02/11/04 02:37 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
brickboo Offline

When I lived in New Orleans for 33 years, 10 miles was a long drive. Now 1500 miles is a long drive. I like driving.

Mike the Bakersfield I drove through didn't compare with driving up the coast to get to my buddy's house in Salinas view wise.

In August Bakersfield was 112 degrees when we past through just like Las Vegas when we went through there that very same day...

The Carmel area never got over 73 degrees in the middle of the day in the middle of August. My buddy and everyone I spoke to said it was like that on the coast. They said if I went in-land 30 40 50 miles or so they said it would be 100 degrees. I think Bakersfield is in-land a bit.

In any event barring any unforseen occurences, I'll be there.

Scott don't laugh but "Lush Life" doesn't turn me on. I do just a few of the jazz charts. I'm really into the swing sandards like "All The Things You Are" "Darn That Dream" stuff nobody else plays. I lke a lot of the popular tunes too. "Stardust" and such.

If we can get DonM there I'll prove he and I can play Yakety Sax faster the Boots can. At least Don can. Ha Ha

#172653 - 02/11/04 02:54 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
DNA Offline

Loc: Fremont, CA USA
If lurkers are allowed, I'd like to attend the May event.

#172654 - 02/11/04 03:35 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
BEBOP Offline

Matt Royer Music World, My Technics Dealer in Las Vegas advised me by email today that He will attend our SynthZone Jam if he doesn't have to work or has a big promotion going on.
Great Matt, it will be good to have you here.
Thanks for your E
Best to you in VEGAS
Bebop

#172655 - 02/11/04 03:37 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
BEBOP Offline

I got an email from somebody that wanted to know if the club is wheelchair accessable and my spam program deleted it because I had not yet marked that email friend. I lost the email.
Yes the club is wheelchair accessable, you can drive right in with the chair.
See you here.
Please send me another E and thanks
Bebop

#172656 - 02/11/04 03:44 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DNA:
If lurkers are allowed, I'd like to attend the May event.

DNA: 3 years as a registered Synthzone member and STILL only a lurker? 'shame on you'. Of course you're invited to attend, afterall, living in Fremont, you're practically Bebop's next door neighbor. Better start POSTING more though. - Scott

#172657 - 02/11/04 03:51 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
hi scott,i would like to make it in may but i won,t know until nearer the time,there is a lot of info i would need ,how far is venue from aeroport,accomodation nearby,transport,etc.if we could take in vegas at the same time that would be great,mike

[This message has been edited by nardoni2002 (edited 02-11-2004).]

#172658 - 02/11/04 04:23 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric, B:
When Scott and I talked we thought we could all get to know each other personally and musically on Saturday with some performances. My wife would be up for singing and peforming with me.
Then on Sunday we could have some workshops (while my wife is going to enjoy Carmel)like:
- using vocal harmony,
- using the pitch bend and modulation weels,
- setting up your KB for peformances with memory regs,
- some techniqes on improvisation,
- how to emulate instruments on the KB that they sound realistic etc....

What do you think?

I like the idea of structuring the 2 day event the way Eric Bott has out-lined. A 'come one' 'come all' massive group arranger KB jam session is NOT what I had envisioned. Arranger keyboards were principally designed to be played as solo instruments, or with an added acoustic instrument or vocalist, so having many mutiple arranger keyboards played at once, and people playing at very different proficiency levels, or who specialize in very different musical genres/styles, would imho only create a cacophonic nightmare of noise.

I recommend instead, scheduling member performances throughout the day to allow each person to showcase their music (either solo or with other performers: vocals, acoustic instrumentalists, or duo arranger KBs), and then possibly followed by a group question/answer session, and then possibly a workshop held the following day to focus on learning specific playing techniques of that performer. If time permits, on the last day, for those interested, I suppose a massive group jam session might be arranged.

There's a lot of musical talent & diversity among us, so I feel that the above format will offer attendees the best opportunity to experience all the many different ways each of us uniquely plays our arranger kbs. Of course the big thing about having a Synthzone get together is the friendship & comraderie between fellow arranger keyboard enthusiasts, but I'd really like to find out now what each of you personally 'would like' to get out of an event like this. - Scott

#172659 - 02/11/04 05:02 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
trtjazz Offline

Scott,
I think something else worth considering workshop wise is recording and a midi primer. Also perhaps a laptop recording section overview maybe with Sonar.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#172660 - 02/11/04 05:23 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
lukitoh Offline

For me personally I like to see:

1) The workshop stuff mentioned by Eric B is REAL GOOD stuff for me and probably many others. But some advanced players might think, hmmm I know that already. MAybe those guys can have a chat in the back -so some excellent munchies have got to be present.

2) 3 minutes solo arranger performance from each attendee would be nice. A referee must time the performance so that we can get through the people. For fun, we can have a prize for the performer that sounds the best. More munchies at the table while listening ...

3) Jam session 1 from the "featured" performers. Free Jam session 2 from everyone who can get their hands on an instrument-this might get chaotic, so if a referee thinks so, can be shortened. More munchies at the table...

4) Keyboard tryouts provided we can bring them: Tyros, KorgPA1x, Ketron, Roland, etc

5) For munchies: well, I think a potluck thing will be easiest. Voluntary thing.... if people do not bring food, well then we starve..... or get pizza or something.

I will post more as it comes to mind.

#172661 - 02/11/04 05:42 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by nardoni2002:
hi scott,i would like to make it in may but i won,t know until nearer the time,there is a lot of info i would need ,how far is venue from aeroport,accomodation nearby,transport,etc.if we could take in vegas at the same time that would be great,mike

Mike,

Bebop's place is ez to get to from the San Jose International Airport (exit off the same freeway). There is also plentiful lodging (major hotels) & restaurants nearby.

Frequent (ten daily) flights to Las Vegas are available from San Jose, and serviced by SouthWest Airlines (my airline of choice). Flight time: approx 75 minutes. They frequently offer the cheapest fares: http://www.southwestair.com

Mike, it would be wonderful if you could make it all the way from Spain. - Scott

#172662 - 02/11/04 05:47 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by lukitoh:
For me personally I like to see:

1) some excellent munchies have got to be present.

2) More munchies at the table while listening ...

3) More munchies at the table...

4) Keyboard tryouts provided we can bring them: Tyros, KorgPA1x, Ketron, Roland, etc

5) For munchies: well, I think a potluck thing will be easiest. Voluntary thing.... if people do not bring food, well then we starve..... or get pizza or something.

I will post more as it comes to mind.

Lukitoh, I think we all definitely know what's foremost on 'your' mind.

Scott

#172663 - 02/11/04 05:52 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by trtjazz:
Scott,
I think something else worth considering workshop wise is recording and a midi primer. Also perhaps a laptop recording section overview maybe with Sonar.
Terry

Terry, sounds great! Can we schedule you in to present this workshop? - Scott

#172664 - 02/11/04 06:02 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
thanks scott for the info,my outlook express is frozen,otherwise i would have emailed you, my pc. was in repairshop ,i still have problems,mike

[This message has been edited by nardoni2002 (edited 02-11-2004).]

#172665 - 02/11/04 06:19 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

After only 24 hours from initiating this posting thread, here are the 'interest' results (so far) for a May 22 & 23rd weekend San Jose, CA Synthzone get together event:

'For Certain' Attendees (9 people):

- Bill Forest (Bebop)
- Scott Yee (Scottyee)
- Lukitoh
- DNA
- Frank Bez (Frank Bez)
- Boo Hargis (Brickboo)
- Nigel Spence (Nigel), Forum Administrator
- Claude (Wizboy)
- Eric Bott (Eric,B)

Strong Interest & Possible Attendees (4 people):

- Terry Telson (Trtjazz)
- Don Mason (DonM)
- Mike (Nardoni2002)
- Paul Curzan (SBPC)

We're quickly approaching the MAGIC number of 15 minimum attendees needed to make this SZ event happen. I'm really getting psyched. I hope other SZ members here will seriously consider making what could be your 'arranger keyboard experience of a lifetime' in Northen California - Scott

#172666 - 02/11/04 07:37 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
SBPC Offline

Loc: Goleta, CA, USA
While I'm not yet a "for certain attendee" the thought crossed my mind that another aspect to this whole thing would be a chance to listen to a variety of sound systems being used with the arrangers, such as Scott's Motion Sound amp and others. Wouldn't it be nice if someone could make the Boze PAS system available during this weekend. Maybe a Guitar Center rep. could be persuaded to demo the system to the group.
Paul C.

#172667 - 02/11/04 08:40 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
KN_Fan Offline

Hmmm...count me in as a 10% possibility at this point. Thing is, I might need to go to SF area in early May for my friend's graduation, not sure if my schedule would permit going back there again in a couple weeks time, plus- I'm trying to apply to a different position in my company, if I got it, that would wipe out the 10% since I have to be in town around that time.

But wishful thinking....I hope I can make it too.

I won't bring any keyboards though...one broken KN6000 is enough for me

#172668 - 02/11/04 08:44 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Nigel Offline
Admin

Quote:
Scott & Bebop
Hmmmm, I'd have to bring Stick and guitar, since those are my real weapons of choice, or are you looking for this to really be more arranger board only?
Terry

Terry I think having a Stick bass there would be great. It is always great to have a real bass player present. As I mentioned earlier in the thread I was thinking of just bringing a guitar as well because my main keyboard is a Motif 6 and not an arranger. Even though this is an arranger keyboard get together it is all about music so I figure any instruments will be appropriate for the occasion.

#172669 - 02/11/04 09:09 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Hi Scott

The plans are shaping up nicely! You can put me down as a possible attendee. I won't know for sure until we get closer to May.

Tom G.

#172670 - 02/11/04 10:11 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
DonM Offline

Maybe George Kaye would be interested in bringing down a few demo keyboards if all brands are not represented. He might well make some sales!
DonM

#172671 - 02/12/04 04:01 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
trtjazz Offline

Nigel
Mine is the Stick....Chapman makes a stick bass too though. Of course the Stick is a bass and melody side too, where the Stick bass is just the bass aspect.

Be that as it may I agree that it's all about the music and the meet.

As this takes shape it's beginning to sound more and more like a must attend event.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#172672 - 02/12/04 05:31 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Dnj Offline

Scott I hope you'll have a Dedicatd Videographer to shoot this Great event so people here on the SZ that cannot attend can see it all!!!!!

#172673 - 02/12/04 06:39 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Great idea! I won't be there though, since it's more than 8,000 miles from home , but I'd love to see pictures and video of the event, and of course lots of audiorecordings!

------------------
Roland EXR-5 user - http://www.exr5.tk

#172674 - 02/12/04 09:22 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
trtjazz Offline

Scott
While I understand your wanting to focus on arrangers, I think we need to also understand that it is also about a gathering of SZ members and their music, regardless of how they do it or what instruments they use.

On the other hand since it's your show, if you want it to be an arrangers gathering first and a SZ members gathering second, then I understand that as well. Which it sounds as though it is what you are saying here.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#172675 - 02/12/04 09:30 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

I'm elated to discover that we've (in less than 2 days) already hit the magic number of a minimum of 15 Synthzone members (either committed or nearly commited) to attending. Who else here wants to come join us in what promises to be a truly memorable 1st ever official(?) Synthzone 'arranger keyboard' event? Here's your chance to finally meet your Synthzone buddies in person. - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 02-12-2004).]

#172676 - 02/12/04 09:40 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Scott
While I understand your wanting to focus on arrangers, I think we need to also understand that it is also about a gathering of SZ members and their music, regardless of how they do it or what instruments they use.

Terry, I agree. Really looking forward to hearing you play on your prefered instrument(s) of choice. - Scott

#172677 - 02/12/04 09:49 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by KN_Fan:

Hmmm...count me in as a 10% possibility at this point.

KN_Fan (Jonas): Hoping you'll be able to add another zero ('0') and turn it into a 100% possibility. - Scott

#172678 - 02/12/04 09:56 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SBPC:
a chance to listen to a variety of sound systems being used with the arrangers, such as Scott's Motion Sound amp and others.

Paul: Ok, I'll make it a point to bring the little Motion Sound KP100S, so you'd better be there (or else!) - Scott

#172679 - 02/12/04 10:56 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
BEBOP Offline

Quote:
Paul: Ok, I'll make it a point to bring the little Motion Sound KP100S, so you'd better be there (or else!) - Scott

AND
I will have the big brother KP200S there as well.
The Technics Forum has only 2 possibles other then Nigel and myself, so maybe we need to start calling this the General Arranger Forum Jam, as both Nigel and myself are members of this forum also.
Bebop

#172680 - 02/12/04 12:17 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

while I would love to be there, I'm in the same boat as Donny Pesce--jammed up solid for at least the next 18 months or more. It took three years preparation just to get two weeks away in early April. Post lots of pics for those of us who cannot be there to enjoy this wonderful event.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#172681 - 02/12/04 12:23 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
brickboo Offline

Scott,

If I can go on a gig with you and play a few tunes one nightaround the same week, I might be able to talk Sonny G into coming over in the after noon to our get-to-gether. He has a portable yamaha 88 key of some sort he uses and hooks up bass pedals etc. I'm sure everyone there would appreciate his style.

#172682 - 02/12/04 12:29 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Scott, while I would love to be there, I'm in the same boat as Donny Pesce--jammed up solid for at least the next 18 months or more.

Though I'm really disappointed you guys can't make it out here then, I do certainly understand. If one of you guys can organize a similar Synthzone member event on the East Coast (or elsewhere), I promise to make every effort to attend. - Scott

#172683 - 02/12/04 12:41 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
If I can go on a gig with you and play a few tunes one nightaround the same week, I might be able to talk Sonny G into coming over in the after noon to our get-to-gether.

Is this a bribe?
Sorry, but I don't think I can get you in on any of my gigs that week, but it would be cool to have Sonny G come to our San Jose Synthzone get-together. I might also be able to join you guys for a jam session in Carmel, depending on my schedule at that time. - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 02-12-2004).]

#172684 - 02/14/04 08:48 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
BEBOP Offline

I thought there would be more interest than this in a SynthZone Jam.
Has everyone seen this post? Is anybody else going to come over and join us?
we need to hear from you. I have to block off the days in the clubhouse before somebody else does.
C'mon peeps, How about it, Now is the Hour.
Best to all
Bebop

#172685 - 02/14/04 09:21 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Dnj Offline

Other then semi local people....there is many things to consider for a trip like this keeping in mind, work, families, cost,milage, scheduling, etc etc .....I think your doing pretty good for such short notice....don't you?

#172686 - 02/14/04 09:39 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
trtjazz Offline

Scott & Bill,
Where are we in body count at the moment?

Here's a couple of if's....if I do come to the party (which seems most likely)

If I agree to put on a recording/midi seminar...

Then, what do you have in mind about a block of time to put it on and.....

To all those that want to attend what would the interest be in the most?

Recording to h/d

Sonar

or in

midi hook up, recording and editing.

and tweaking the pc/laptop for optimum results?

All of the above....or none, I'd rather eat a bag of snakes then attend a seminar like this put on by you.

Terry

------------------
jam on,

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 02-14-2004).]

#172687 - 02/14/04 10:18 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
BEBOP Offline

The best way for this to function for the good of all will be to set up 1/2 hour time slots for each person starting a reasonable time after the clubhouse opens and going on until late afternon. Each person would be scheduled into one of these time slots and have the opportunity to do whatever they want to do. whether it be teach, play, demo their keyboard/instrument, or ?
Some time would be left at the end of the day for visiting, lying, bragging, etc We could have a Jam session in the evening after everyone returns from dinner. For the Jam Session, I visualize keyboards set up around the room and each person taking their turn playing something, ending with a turn around and the next keyboard player down the line picking it up from there. Those with Accoustic instruments could jam in where ever they wanted to, Or other keyboards could play a single keyboard instrument voice like a sax, trumpet, etc.
The next day would be the same with different or the same people having the 1/2 hour slot depending on how many are coming and how many want to have a time slot.
There would be a schedule so you would always know what is going on at what time in case you want to be there or not be there.
The time slots could be increased depending on how many people register for a time slot.
That is the way it is done at all the shows I have attended and it works out well.
I will also need $10.00 from each member to cover the cost of using and cleaning the clubhouse. That will need to be forwarded to me along with your confirmation, and would only be refundable if the entire gig was cancelled due to lack of enough people for a quorom.
IF only a few people were coming we could do it at my house like we did before and no costs involved.
I have tentatively blocked off those dates for the clubhouse and I can hold them until somebody else wants them then it is "fish or cut bait"
Best to all
Bebop

#172688 - 02/14/04 11:20 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BEBOP:
The best way for this to function for the good of all will be to set up 1/2 hour time slots for each person starting a reasonable time after the clubhouse opens and going on until late afternon.

I agree. This gives all members the opportunity to showcase their music, and/or present a workshop. Pre-scheduled time slots also give attendees the ability to pick and choose what events they want to be there for. I would also like to suggest the idea of forming combos, which would provide experience for typically 'solo' one man arranger players to play with acoustic instrument players. Combo performances could be scheduled for the last day (Sunday afternoon/evening), with the first day giving time for band members to rehearse with each other.

Also, what hours will the Clubhouse be available for our use ? Is the Clubhouse available during the evening as well as the day?

Quote:
Where are we in body count at the moment?

Here are latest numbers from the responses posted so far:

'For Certain' Attendees (9 people):

- Bill Forest (Bebop)
- Scott Yee (Scottyee)
- Lukitoh
- DNA
- Frank Bez (Frank Bez)
- Boo Hargis (Brickboo)
- Nigel Spence (Nigel), Synthzone Administrator
- Claude (Wizboy)
- Eric Bott (Eric,B)

Strong Interest & Possible Attendees (6 people):

- Terry Telson (Trtjazz)
- Don Mason (DonM)
- Mike (Nardoni2002)
- Paul Curzan (SBPC)
- Jonas (KN_Fan)
- Tom Griglock (TomTomSF)

The above total already meets the mimimum number of people (15) I had originally set so it appears this event is a definite GO now! I agree with Bebop that to both insure a geniune commitment that $10 per attendee be sent to Bebop (Bill Forrest) to cover the cost of clubhouse usage & cleaning ($100). Perhaps funds collected beyond that could go towards refreshments. The room capacity is 100 people so I assume friends and/or spouses are welcome too, right Bebop? Bebop, perhaps you could privately email your 'mailing address' to all the above interested attendees. Please keep us updated as the checks arrive.This event promises to be a once in a lifetime arranger keyboard experience for all. I've already marked my calendar and sending my check in today. Hope even more people here can join us.

Scott

#172689 - 02/14/04 12:04 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
lukitoh Offline

30 minutes per person ? Probably too much time for me. Maybe some of us will email you, Scott with how much time we actually end up spending.

My real name is Han Lukito

#172690 - 02/14/04 12:28 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
trtjazz Offline

Well in 30 minutes I would not be able to cover much on any of the mentioned subject possibilities, other than a brief overview.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#172691 - 02/14/04 01:35 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
BEBOP Offline

Mail your checks for $10.00 to:
Bill Forrest
195 Blossom Hill Road
Lot # 279
San Jose, California 95123
Any funds collected over and above the cost of the clubhouse will be used for coffee, sodas, and snacks. I can get some big coffee makers from our social club and we can then buy styrofoam cups, stirrers, powdered cream and sugar from the managers.
We are not getting the kitchen unless we need that room for more time slots. we could also use the Pool/card room for that too.
The cost is for the member only. Your wife, husband or significant other is included. Children are not. This is a Senior Adult facility for Seniors 55 and older. You will need to add $5.00 for a guest you bring other then family as noted above. BUT remember the limit in the building is 100 people max per fire laws and management rules. We will not turn members away to accomodate members guests. That would not be fair. Parking is somewhat limited around the clubhouse as it is overflow parking for residents guests. There is parking out on the streets.
The rules are simple. No Smoking, No Booze, No Drugs.
It is easy to get here. The exit from 101 freeway is Blossom Hill RD. and we are at 195 Blossom Hill RD. about 1 mile West.
Terry, if you need more time you can share a slot with someone that will use less time. Perhaps one on each side of you. When you send in your check Let me know if you will or will not use all of your 1/2 hour, or if you are requesting more than 1/2 hour, so I can allocate to everyones advantage.
I think we can have the clubhouse open by 8 am and the coffee on. Possible even earlier if need be. WE have to close it no later then 8:30 and it has to be empty and locked by 9:00 PM.
Any more questions?
Bebop

[This message has been edited by BEBOP (edited 02-14-2004).]

#172692 - 02/14/04 02:32 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
trtjazz Offline

Bill
That all sounds copesetic, let's wait and see what sort of response I get to my Q's then I can better do a mental plan of what I will need to do timewise.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#172693 - 02/15/04 10:52 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:

I think we can have the clubhouse open by 8 am and the coffee on. Possible even earlier if need be. WE have to close it no later then 8:30 and it has to be empty and locked by 9:00 PM.

Bebop. Terrific. Sounds like a 'full' 2 days of fun!, though I'll admit that it's going to be a challenge to be ready to go THAT early in the morning. Thank God for coffee ! To add to the clubhouse rules Bebop already outlined, I remember him also telling me that his mobile home park also doesn't allow young children (under 12?) on the premises.

Ok guys, I've already gone ahead and sent my $10 check, made payable to 'Bill Forrest':

Bill Forrest
195 Blossom Hill Road
Lot # 279

As soon as Bebop receives enough money to reserve the clubhouse reservation ($100 total)and which covers the cleaning deposit, we'll then begin organizing & outlining the daily performance & workshop schedule. I look forward to seeing a lot of you at our May 22/23rd weekend Synthzone get together in San Jose, CA. It will be a rare opportunity for Synthzone arranger enthusiasts to finally meet (in person), share arranger playing/recording tips, and most of all, give us the opportunity to play for each other, jam, and hang out together. Bebop, please keep us posted on the the status of your $100 deposit collection drive. - Scott

#172694 - 02/15/04 06:03 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
trtjazz Offline

Bill
Do you know of any motels/hotels nearby that you could put the names up for?
Thanks
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#172695 - 02/15/04 07:16 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
BEBOP Offline

Quote:
Bill
Thanks
Terry

Terry, I will get to that as soon as I can. We had a neighbor's home totally consumed by fire here this afternoon (Sunday) at 3:15 PM with one fatality. I am pretty tired and distressed right at this moment.
Bebop

#172696 - 02/16/04 06:37 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
trtjazz Offline

Bill sorry to hear. Whenever you get to it is fine.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#172697 - 02/16/04 06:57 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
We had a neighbor's home totally consumed by fire here this afternoon (Sunday) at 3:15 PM with one fatality. I am pretty tired and distressed right at this moment.Bebop

Bebop, deepest sympathy to your neighbors loss of life. To hear of the fire is bad enough, but the loss of life is devastating. Did the fire occur in one of the other mobile homes in 'your' mobile home park? As I'm sure you (and others here) may remember, a fire had consumed the home of our San Jose Synthzone member, Clif Anderson (ClifAnd) as well, back in July 2002. He hasn't been posting very often here lately. Anyone heard from him? I hope he's ok.

I urge everyone here to (if you haven't already) install smoke detectors in your home. In addition, fire extinguishers should be kept handy in your home. Both are home essentials which can SAVE your life.
Most importantly is to remember to routinely check them (annually) to make sure they're in good working order and that batteries are not beyond expiration.

Scott

#172698 - 02/16/04 08:16 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
keybplayer Offline

Quote:

I urge everyone here to (if you haven't already) install smoke detectors in your home. In addition, fire extinguishers should be kept handy in your home. Both are home essentials which can SAVE your life.
Most importantly is to remember to routinely check them (annually) to make sure they're in good working order and that batteries are not beyond expiration.

Scott

Sorry to hear about your neighbors unfortunate tragedy Bill. Mobile Homes are noted for being match sticks. They can burn to the ground in no time at all much like a dry Christmas Tree does. Poof! and its gone. And because of that people don't have very much time to evacuate.

Scott is right on about smoke detectors and fire extinguishers. Plus, if any residence has GAS or even a Fireplace you should seriously consider getting a (Carbon Monoxide) detector.

"What Is Carbon Monoxide? Carbon monoxide can be a deadly killer. This odorless, colorless gas, known by its chemical symbol CO, is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in the United States each year. More than 1,500 people are killed annually and another 10,000 are injured.
Carbon monoxide is also the leading cause of death in fire-related accidents. Often, victims are overcome by CO before they can respond to warnings from a smoke alarm. Another 3,000 to 4,000 people die of CO poisoning in fire-related incidents each year.

What produces this dangerous gas? CO is the nation's leading indoor air pollution problem. Carbon monoxide is produced when fuels containing carbon are burned in areas where there is too little oxygen or as a result of burning fuels at too high a temperature. Death and injury occur when CO escapes from sources such as furnaces, space heaters, stoves, ovens and automobiles where there is improper ventilation.

Why is CO so dangerous? When inhaled, CO combines with hemoglobin, the oxygen-carrying substance in red blood cells. This reaction blocks the hemoglobin from taking up oxygen from the lungs. Lack of oxygen causes cells and tissues in the body to die. And CO is released from the blood at a slow rate.

How will you know if you have CO poisoning? The symptoms of CO poisoning include headaches, nausea, fatigue and dizziness -- all symptoms that often lead to a misdiagnosis of the flu. Recent medical journal reports found that nearly one in four people diagnosed with the flu were actually suffering from CO poisoning. Medical evidence has also shown that heart attacks and other thoracic complaints have been correlated with high background CO levels in the environment. Low level exposures are especially hazardous to sensitive populations including infants, children, unborn babies, elderly, and those with medical problems such as anemia and heart or lung disease.

What can you do to avoid exposure to CO?

Every owner of a home, recreational vehicle or boat should seriously consider a carbon monoxide detector as an important safeguard against the threats of CO. CO detectors will greatly reduce the number of deaths from CO accidents as well as improve the quality of life for all."

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 02-16-2004).]

#172699 - 02/17/04 11:44 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
BEBOP Offline

Quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by trtjazz:
[b]Bill
Thanks
Terry

HI ALL
Per Terry's request for Hotel/Motels, here are some that are nearby. I travel in a 35 foot motorhome so I know about RV parks but not motels. I am taking these from the local yellow pages: I note that some of what I thought were motels are now Hotels?
1. Holiday Inn-Silicon Valley, 399 Silicon Valley BL. 408-972-7800 They have the Summit Steak House, our favorite Restaurant. They are about 4 miles from me a block off 101 freeway. 210 Executive rooms and deluxe suites. complimentary airport shuttle. www.holidayinn.com

2. Extended Stay America 6199 San Ignacio Ave. 408-226-4499. I know this place because it is across the street from where I keep the motorhome. It looks like a really nice place. www.extstay.com. nightly and weekly rates. Fully furnished studios, full kitchen, laundry, free voice mail and local calls, recliner, cable TV data port, attractive rates. This is about 4 miles from me and a few blocks off the 85 freeway that is accessed from 101 freeway.

3.Clarion President Inn. 3200 Monterey Rd. 408-972-2200. The add sez it has it all and is reasonable. It is about 5 miles from here towards downtown. Fax 408-972-2632, NO toll free or website

4, Casa Linda Motel. 1669 Monterey Rd. 408-295-3890. Dailey and weekly rates. Electronic Locks but bring your gun anyway. In room phones, some kitchenettes, Microwaves., satellite or cable/HBO, restaurants nearby, air conditioning, queen size beds. aka Holiday Motel.

5. Executive Inn 1310 N 1st. near the airport, 12 miles from here prox. 408-453-1100. One location is closer at 3930 Monterey Rd. 408-281-8700 They have 2 others in area, down town and at the next town south of here about 10-12 miles. No further info on this ad.

6. Motel 6 closest to me is downtown 2091 N First, 408-436-8180 No further info. About 10 miles from here

7. Sands Motel 1787 Monterey Rd 408-293-6025 or 295-8609. Clean Comfortable Rooms at Reasonable Rates, near fairgrounds, about 5 miles from here, direct dial phones, air conditioning, remote control TV - HBO-ESPN. This is prolly a mom and pop operation.

8 Travelodge 1415 Monterey Rd. 408-993-1711. 800-578-7878. This is near downtown, and I don't really know anything about it.

9 Regency Lodge. Adult only hotel, relax and retreat, Adult films in Mirrored Suites. Private Color TV, cable TV, Phone, open 24 hours. Probably rents by the hour. My guess
Do you really want the address and phone, ok you win 195 north 13th st. 408-279-4848. OF COURSE, I don't know anything about it but I have heard some interesting things. something for everybody. girls want cash only and lotsa Don't forget your quarters for the vibrating bed. I don't know if the vcr files are included or not.

You can go to Expedia.com and get the best rates for the hotels/motels here

OK that's it for now. I have to get back to my cooking for supper. It is storming today so It is Navy Beans and Ham and fried taters.
Let me know if you need more places to look at.
Bebop

#172700 - 02/18/04 07:30 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
BEBOP Offline

HI ALL,
As of this writing I have now received the first 10.00 check from Scott Yee. Scott gets first choice of time slots.
Who wants second choice? Me, I just threw my check into the pot also.
Who would like choice of the third slot.
I will post the checks received here in this post as they arrive.
Thank you to all
Bebop

#172701 - 02/18/04 08:59 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Scott gets first choice of time slots.

Yipee- 'Yee' ! The rewards of being 1st onboard !

I promise a fun packed arranger keyboard music presentation you all won't want to miss.

Both Bebop & I are now the first to sign on for this event (with $10 deposits). In addition, the following Synthzone members have expressed a commitment, or at least serious interest, in attending a May (22 & 23, 2004) Synthzone get together in San Jose, California:

- Lukitoh (Han Lukito)
- DNA
- Frank Bez (Frank Bez)
- Boo Hargis (Brickboo)
- Nigel Spence (Nigel, Forum Administrator)
- Wizboy (Claude)
- Eric Bott (Eric,B)
- Paul Curzan (SBPC)
- Terry Telson (Trtjazz)
- Don Mason (DonM)
- Mike (Nardoni2002)
- Jonas (KN_Fan )
- Richard Peck

The upcoming May 2004 Synthzone 'arranger keyboard' weekend gathering will offer (for the 1st time) an exciting opportunity for Synthzone members everywhere to meet together in person, see members (both Pro & amateur level) perform, and pickup new arranger keyboard techniques, tips, and secrets. But most of all, have fun hanging out together, jamming, and socializing with other arranger keyboard enthusiasts. Don't miss out on what promises to be a memorable weekend in beautiful California.

In order to insure our get together can take place though, you'll need to send ASAP, a $10 check payable to: Bill Forrest, which is required to help cover the $100 room reservation/cleaning deposit.

Bill Forrest
195 Blossom Hill Road
Lot # 279

I'm really looking forward to this 'opportunity of a lifetime' get together. I hope others here as well, will now take the next step (with a $10 check) to join us in San Jose, California for what promises to be an exciting weekend of arranger keybord fun.

- Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 02-18-2004).]

#172702 - 02/18/04 09:20 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Dnj Offline

sounds like a good time for all....

Its only 95 days away!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-18-2004).]

#172703 - 02/18/04 10:55 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
BEBOP Offline

Quote:
Yipee- 'Yee' ! The rewards of being 1st onboard !

I promise a fun packed arranger keyboard music presentation you all won't want to miss.

Both Bebop & I are now the first to sign on for this event (with $10 deposits). In addition, the following Synthzone members have expressed a commitment, or at least serious interest, in attending a May (22 & 23, 2004) Synthzone get together in San Jose, California:

- Lukitoh (Han Lukito)
- DNA
- Frank Bez (Frank Bez)
- Boo Hargis (Brickboo)
- Nigel Spence (Nigel, Forum Administrator)
- Wizboy (Claude)
- Eric Bott (Eric,B)
- Paul Curzan (SBPC)
- Terry Telson (Trtjazz)
- Don Mason (DonM)
- Mike (Nardoni2002)
- Jonas (KN_Fan )
- Richard Peck

The upcoming May 2004 Synthzone 'arranger keyboard' weekend gathering will offer (for the 1st time) an exciting opportunity for Synthzone members everywhere to meet together in person, see members (both Pro & amateur level) perform, and pickup new arranger keyboard techniques, tips, and secrets. But most of all, have fun hanging out together, jamming, and socializing with other arranger keyboard enthusiasts. Don't miss out on what promises to be a memorable weekend in beautiful California.

In order to insure our get together can take place though, you'll need to send ASAP, a $10 check payable to: Bill Forrest, which is required to help cover the $100 room reservation/cleaning deposit.

Bill Forrest
195 Blossom Hill Road
Lot # 279

I'm really looking forward to this 'opportunity of a lifetime' get together. I hope others here as well, will now take the next step (with a $10 check) to join us in San Jose, California for what promises to be an exciting weekend of arranger keybord fun.

- Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 02-18-2004).]

I just received a post on the Technics Forum from one of our proffesional recording artists in the UK:

Hiya Bill
If I can get a decent priced flight ticket I'll be over - fabulous idea
Roger Mepstead from the U.K.

Hey Roger, I sure do hope Expedia.com will give you a great price as they always have us.
I want to say that for those coming in for overseas, we will make every effort to get you from the airport to the clubhouse and help you in whatever way we can, RIGHT SCOTT. Scott lives close to San Francisco in case you fly in there and I live 10 miles from San Jose INTERNATINAL AIRPORT that has flights coming and going everywhere. including direct to Reno and Vegas as Mike N. asked in an earlier post.
There are two more people, no actually three that are hoping to come also. The list is growing and the Manager is getting worried
Y'all come, HERE!
BEBOP

#172704 - 02/18/04 01:29 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
trtjazz Offline

Scott & Bill
Well considering there has been zero response to my Q. about where the interest would lie in a recording workshop, I will assume there isn't any. That will save me alot of preperation and work.

So if I do attend now it looks like I will not need any time slot. I was waiting to see about a recording workshop before I sent the deposit, so I would know about how much time would be needed. I'll make a decision today about coming or not and send a check tomorrow if I am going to attend.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#172705 - 02/18/04 02:14 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

Terry, hope your decision of whether you conduct a recording workshop doesn't have any bearing on whether your coming or not. Afterall, didn't you say you might bring your stick & guitar? I for one would be interested in hearing you perform with them during your timeslot presentation.

On another note: Just received a private email from Clif Anderson (ClifAnd) informing me that he's 'for sure' coming to our May 22nd weekend Synthzone member 'Get together', and that his check's in the mail.

To assure that we have our meeting room reserved for 'us', let's keep the checks coming in guys.

Scott

#172706 - 02/18/04 06:59 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
trtjazz Offline

Scott & Bill
Sorry to say but I've decided to take a pass on the gathering. Have a killer time though everyone.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#172707 - 02/18/04 07:36 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
BEBOP Offline

Scott,
I just got an email from Tom G and he said he is mailing in his money today. Is he on our list above. I see a Tom there?
ALSO:
I just see Mainer put his KN7000 up for sale. A week ago he said he was coming. does anyone want to buy a Kn7000 to bring to this gig go to technics forum and reply to Mainer's post.
No money received today.
maybe tomorrow.
I have approached our social club about setting up camp in the clubhouse kitchen and selling hotdogs, chips, sodas, coffee etc. No reply on that yet but a good possibility. They didn't want to talk about filet mignons, Oh well we have great steak houses in abundance.
Scotty Dude, That is my latest from this end of town
YO Terry, sorry to hear that you won't make it I was looking forward to meeting and hearing you.
Bebop

#172708 - 02/18/04 11:29 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Nigel Offline
Admin

My wonderful wife Kerry sent off my $10 to BEBOP today. I tend to procastinate so it is good I have such a watchful partner overseeing the website and BBS action and acting on my behalf. We look forward to meeting you all. Kerry will of course be accompanying me up to San Jose and feels like she knows you all from reading the BBS postings over many years.

#172709 - 02/19/04 10:30 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Bebop and all,
Well, I've been thinking seriously about this clambake but there are a lot of miles between here and there. Anyway, Georgiana asked me today why I was hesitating and said "It's only about 1000 miles, we can do it", so COUNT ME IN!
As they say, "The check is in the mail".
Regards to all,
Walt

#172710 - 02/19/04 12:30 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

Bebop: Yep, Tom Griglock is the same person listed as TomTomSF above. Tom, it will be great to see you see you again. Which of your keyboards are you planning to bring?

Nigel, wonderful to hear that both you and Kerry will be there. Afterall, this event could never have taken place without your foresight & dedication in administering an 'arranger' keyboard specific forum in the FIRST place.

Walt, Wow, it's FANTASTIC that you're able to make it to this truly 'once in a lifetime' Synthzone Convention gathering. This event is quickly becoming a 'dream come true' to finally meet many of the wonderful people I've come to know so well and chat regularly with on Synthzone.

So far, 6 people are confirmed as: 'IN', having already sent in their deposits , at least 7 more people have verbally committed (awaiting deposit confirmation), with an additional number of people still expressing serious interest in coming.

I'm getting increasingly excited (and counting the days now) up to this BIG Synthzone May 22, 23 event! I hope the growing interest & participation by not only California SZ members, but members coming from further afield as well, will attract even MORE members (both in/out of State, and perhaps from other Countries as well) to seriously consider coming to California to attend what promises to be a truly memorable once in a lifetime 'arranger keyboard' experience. Remember, in addition to the Synthzone Convention itself, there is so MANY things to do/see nearby: the romantic city of San Francisco & the Napa Valley Wine Country to the north, and the breathtakenly scenic Monterey Peninsula/Big Sur to the south. All are within an easy 1 drive from San Jose, and let's not forget the attractions of San Jose itself as well.

http://www.sfvisitor.org/
http://www.monterey.com/
http://www.napavalley.com/

Ok everyone, here's your BIG chance to experience a vacation of a lifetime. This is an opportunity for you US East Coast, South, North, Centrally located, and global SZ arranger buddies to discover what our Golden 'Granola' State is all about. - Scott

#172711 - 02/19/04 02:23 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
BEBOP Offline

Yo Nigel and Walt,
We are so pleased you are now confirmed and coming to San Jose to the SynthZone Jam.
Nigel comes to us from So. Cal. I wrote his wife and suggested she hide his keyboard and just get in the Camero and come join us and Nigel can play my Yam 9000.
Walt is coming from New Mexico and it will be great to meet him as we have been corresponding for a long time now.
It is beginning to get more exciting by the day.
Roger Mepstead (SIC) is coming from UK. He is a pro with cd's. It will be great to have him here. Hey Roger, can you bring Sammi, your vocalist too She sings so pretty. I would give her my half hour just to listen to her.
If anyone is undecided about coming because of the risk of bringing a keyboard, I am sure we can arrange for a keyboard for you to play. Just bring your software and/or periphials. We will work it out.
Keep on Keeping on y'all
Bebop

#172712 - 02/19/04 02:41 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
BEBOP Offline

I just received a confirming EMAIL from DNA that is in Fremont, California, up the street about 15 miles. He said the check is in the mail and he may give his time slot to some other time hog like (not mentioning any names) but how about initials SY
Just kidding SY. Now don't get mad and tell me your not coming. I will come and get you
Bebop

#172713 - 02/19/04 02:58 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Scott gets first choice of time slots.
Bebop

Ok Bebop, please RESERVE 'my' time slot for Saturday, May 22nd, immediately after lunch, as I'm looking forward to enjoying a delicious lunchtime meal at the 'Fish Market Restaurant':
http://www.thefishmarket.com/san_jose.htm

I remember you took us there during my previous visit with you. I assume the food is still good, right? As I mentioned on another thread, this is just the kind of meal to kick start my performance energy. Donny (DNJ) & Gary Diamond: knowing what food lovers you are, you guys gotta make this trip. You guys both deserve a vacation. Go find yourselves a 'sub' for a week. Even the biggest Stars do that ya'know. And Uncle Dave & DonM, most restaurants out here also offer Atkins menu selections so you should feel right at home. - Scott

#172714 - 02/19/04 03:07 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
He said the check is in the mail and he may give his time slot to some other time hog like (not mentioning any names) but how about initials SY. Bebop

Hmmm. initials SY huh, might you possibly be referring to moi? Don't worry I can certainly keep my performance time down to 30 minutes (if need be), especially cuz I'm working for 'free' here, right? - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 02-19-2004).]

#172715 - 02/20/04 03:32 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
BEBOP Offline

I have just now received 10.00 from both Nigel and Kerry and also from Tom G.
Scott Yee and I are also paid up. (I got my allowance yesterday
That makes 4 people that are paid to date and have the first 4 choices of time slots for either Saturday or Sunday for whatever you want to do, (that is legal
Let me know your preferences of a time slot and what you will be doing in your half hour.
Keep those cards and letters full of money coming. YES CASH IS OK. I GOT IT. I hope I don't spend it but three months is a long while to look at it
Best to all
Bebop

#172716 - 02/20/04 05:01 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
DNA Offline

Loc: Fremont, CA USA
I wish George Kaye was attending so I could go home with a new keyboard.

#172717 - 02/20/04 08:35 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I will not be able to attend the west coast synthzone get together. I have a Niece graduating from college that weekend and two family members who work at my store will be flying to New York to attend. I will be at my store however if anyone is planning to drive through Los Angeles on their way to or from San Jose. It's about a six hour drive from LA to San Jose.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California

[This message has been edited by George Kaye (edited 02-21-2004).]
(Retired 2021)

#172718 - 02/21/04 12:50 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
BEBOP Offline

HI ALL,
I just got a confirmation email from Eric and Claudia in Ventura, CA. They state that the check is in the mail and they are in.
They even sent an extra 5.00 to be sure they are in. They have their time slot selected too. I think an extra 5.00 ought to give them a slot and a half as in 45 minutes
I am happy Eric and Claudia are coming up. I haven't met them yet. My motorhome never seems to go south of Pismo Beach.
It is interesting to note that they live in the same city as NIGEL, but have not yet met but will meet in Northern California.
Hope to see you all on May 22/23.
IF everybody comes we will rent the Colisium
BEBOP

#172719 - 02/21/04 04:57 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Bill,

actually the extra $5.00 were for possible snacks, back up singers and/or dancers

Eric

#172720 - 02/21/04 05:02 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
BEBOP Offline

Hey Eric,
My wife Jann can do all three and we need the money. Thanks a lot
Bebop

#172721 - 02/23/04 12:44 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Nigel Offline
Admin

Eric,B If you want to catch my band this weekend we are playing up at O'Leary's bar in Telephone Rd Ventura behind the Government Center just off Partridge St and Telephone Rd.

#172722 - 02/23/04 10:25 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
BEBOP Offline

Just this morning I received confirming emails from Roger Mepstead and wife in UK and Cliff Anderson in the San Jose area that they are coming and have already mailed their checks.
This is great guys, you are really welcome.
Cliff has a new keyboard to show us too
Get your checks in the mail. The time slots are filling up
Best to all
Bebop

#172723 - 02/23/04 02:29 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Scott and Bebop,
Georgiana and I had planned to make it to the Get Together, but that now is not possible. I just found out that I have to have some extensive dental work done and it falls right in that time slot.
Oh well, you can't win 'em all.
Hopefully this Get Together will be so successful that we can plan another for later in the year or next year.
How does that Country Western song go "-----with tears in my beer" or something like that.
I feel sad already,
Walt

#172724 - 02/23/04 08:24 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
lukitoh Offline

Bebop,

I will contribute another $5 for the munchies, etc and bring it to the synthzone party (make sure you remind me ok), or send another check soon. Thanks for organizing. I hope it's not too difficult for you and Scott. Let me know if I can help.

As for the timeslot, I will let you know later. Since I basically only play contemporary christian musics, I will be presenting those things that I normally do. It is basically using the same rythms that many here have been using like rock, 16 beat, 8 beat, ballads, latin, etc.

-Han

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online