SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#147974 - 12/01/04 06:43 PM Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj 12/01/04:
"Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...." :

I see it every day......the younger generation want to go the easy DJ/Electronic route vs taking lessons, and learning to play an instrument resulting in the ongoing demise of Live Music as we grew up knowing.Is it too far gone an issue, are parents at fault, is society at fault, is their too many choices,
I just can't pinpont it?....
How do you see it? What is really going on,,,,?

Donny, perhaps we're merely victims of modern society. It's just another symptom of the INSTANT gratification we've grown to expect, partly because of the fast paced society we're living in, which means less & less time available to devote to becoming better musicians. My former vocal coach (Judy Davis) always reminded her students that this instant gratification trend began way back with the onset of television, instant cereal, & the microwave generation were we came to EXPECT instant results with everything. With the computer internet age, everything has speed up that much faster.

The FACT is, that art & music are akin to making fine wine. Yes, you can produce cheap wine (albeit cheap tasting too ) quickly, but FINE wine takes years to age. The same goes for musicianship & other artistic creative endevours as well. Regretably, people today are finding less & less time (impatience) to put in the dues (hours & years) required to become good musicians, and instead, opting for the a 'quick buck' gig solution, relying on technology to cover up for their musicianship deficiencies. This in turn gives the public the impression that anybody can become a musician (aka star) now, and that hutsfa & bravado matter more than musicianship to become a pro. Thankfully there are audiences out there that still APPRECIATE musicianship & willing to pay to see music performed live (as well as the personal creative expression that go along with it). How long this lasts, I don't know, but I may have to go down with the sinking ship if it comes to that.

Scott

#147975 - 12/01/04 08:35 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I agree with Scott's sentiment.

IMO, the recent trend will intensify over the next few years. I see nothing changing the current landscape whereas technology enables many under-talented users to appear impressively skilled.

My belief, is that those players who DO have actual skill and technique will outshine the others in some very limited environments. The two groups will seem as one to the masses.

I must recognise the natural change in popular music that we've seen in the last 20 years. Punk & New wave was the popular style back then...its life cycle took it into the late 80's early 90's when more earthy sounding bands like REM, Nirvana, etc. then took center stage. Could we suggest that there is a higher degree of musicianship to be found in REM than Flock of Seagulls? I'd like to think that at least, given my appreciation for REM.

The only thing constant in music is change. Gershwin was too modern for many, as was Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, the Beatles, the Who, Elvis Costello, Prince, REM, Nirvana, the Goo-Goo Dolls, etc...

As arranger players, we have the unique opportunity/challenge to be able to interpret a variety of music for OUR audiences. We play a different role than the "big names" do in music. I honestly think that a trained, skilled, creative arranger user will be able to play well above a level of a untrained user who has plenty of money to toss around.

...and if we don't...then shame on us "trained" performers. Perhaps the accessability of this technology may serve to keep the rest of us honest. Add songs to our play list that don't necessarily fit in easily-but rather, with our skills and an openess for new interpretations and creativity, we can add our own mark on unexpected songs.

Bill in Dayton

#147976 - 12/02/04 05:49 AM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I really think that rap music and the society that fuels it has robbed us of a couple of generations of musicians - where are the modern young Stevie Wonders, Herbie Hancocks, and Duke Ellingtons? TV shows like MTV's "Cribs" don't help... it's a little sad for me to see some 20-something left-field rapper that practically noone has heard of chilling in his mansion and showing off his fleet of expensive cars. I'm sure this just shows young people how to get rich quick in music without going through the trouble to get a real musical education. Why work?

But nobody is fooling anyone - there are several waiters that work in the restaurants where I do that have made comments to me to the effect of "we're rappers - we're not real musicians like you..." and "we don't know how to play an instrument so we just use Acid and mix loops...". These guys know they are short-changing themselves by not learning how to play an instrument, but the instant gratification thing and the chance for instant money is too strong to resist.

We shouldn't be complaining actually... as trained career musos we offer a chance for our audiences to enjoy seeing music played. I can't tell you how often parents bring their children up to where I am to watch me play. And the more that this becomes a rarity, the greater the demand for our services. I kinda dread the day that some wunderkid shows up in my neighborhood that can outplay me - I'll be looking for a new neighborhood when that happens!

#147977 - 12/02/04 06:02 AM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Funny, just this week I was in GC, and as I walked through the guitar section - I heard this amazing R&R riff coming from a Les Paul. I walked over closer to see who was playing and the kid couldn't have been 9 yrs old ! I swear it! The Les Paul weighed about as much as he did. He was just smiling' and jammin' away. It actually made the hair on my neck stand up to see such a talent in such a young body.
There's hope yet!

#147978 - 12/02/04 06:47 AM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
When I listen to some of the fusion groups, I feel there are some serious new players
who have transitioned from simple structure and technique to something of substance.

That's a beautiful thing!

Russ

#147979 - 12/02/04 06:57 AM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
Dnj Offline

THis is all fine and well.....but there no young people carrying the torch like we did to learn to play an instrument & the music fom the 30, 40's etc, .....sadly when we're gone it's pretty much gone......score one for karaoke artists and DJ's.. Phoooey .....;(

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 12-02-2004).]

#147980 - 12/02/04 07:12 AM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Music lasts forever. Someone will want to play it and someone will want to create it and someone will want to listen to it. What do we know of music hundreds and thousands of years ago. We have the advantage of history and the ability to reproduce the sounds and instruments of the past, present and future.

Society is ever-changing. Just because what we see with our eyes seems a certain way, doesn't mean that is the reality of things. There are many musicians out there studying and playing even better than yesterday's best. There are a lot of lazy people out there too. There is new technology that suits the new society. Who are we to judge?

Hey, I've got an idea. Let's have a professional music league and pay the creators and players millions of dollars and put their faces on every conceiveable piece of food and apparel. Then maybe the arts would become important enough for our society to think its children should be schooled in it. And then maybe our schools, colleges and industries would value and support it.

Music lasts forever!

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 12-02-2004).]

#147981 - 12/02/04 07:48 AM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
The problem as I see it is clutter. There aren't fewer good musicians today, there's just more bad ones. Technology has made it possible for anyone, and I mean anyone, to make a semblance of music and therefore a CD. I get so annoyed with people who want to trade CD's. After all, they have a CD too, so they are equals, Not So! 19 times out of 20 they get the better end of the deal.
In days gone by, only serious people could make an album; because they couldn't do it with their PC and put it up for free download on some crappy internet site.

Have any of you heard the NPR show called "From the Top"? Students 18 years old and under doing fantastic renditions of classical works. Yes, indeed, the musicians still exist; it's just the haystack is getting bigger and bigger and the needles harder to find.

#147982 - 12/02/04 07:50 AM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I have a couple of thoughts on this thread that I thought I would share with you from my perspective.
I am 73 years old now so I started on my learning curve in 1937. I think I am very typical of that time.
I hated music. I hated piano lessons. I hated practicing several hours a day. I hated the piano teacher. I hated my parents for putting me through this agony.
Seven long years of classical music. WHY? Because my parents liked it. I never did learn to like it even thought I learned to play it well. I also had to play at the cutsey recitals about once a month for my mothers instant gratification. I also hated that.
Now, having said all that is it any wonder kids don't want to learn music fundementals and theory.
When I was 12 I was walking home from town, (about 5 miles) after the movie and as I walked past this country tavern I heard the most amazing music coming out the window. It was swing, and I loved it. I could see the piano player and I knew who he was. I was at his house the next day begging him to give me piano lessons to learn to play his "STUFF". He shoo'd me away time after time. You see that is the problem then and now. The good musicians don't want to teach kids their craft. They only want to gig and make the big bucks.
I badgered this honky tonk piano player for months until her finally relented but only after I threatened to burn his house down when he wasn't home.
He taught me to play his "Stuff", and I found out that I actually loved music and have been playing every since. I put my first band together as a sophmore in highschool, about age 16. I studied horns, accordion, and organ also. I taught kids for a couple of years. I went through college working in a piano bar 6 nights a week.
I see that there are two problems to kids learning music today. Their parents and the lack of teachers that will satisfy both the parent and the kid.
That is my 10 cents worth for what it is worth if in fact it is worth anything
Best to all
PS: After Reading Ric's Post following mine, it occurred to me that I ought to add.
I raised 8 kids. They were constantly sourrounded by music, mine and others. We had lots of jam sessions in our rec room.
One son took up Organ. I would not teach him and got a teacher for him. He soon switched to Trumpet. These were two instruments I played. You can read between the lines here. He then swithced to guitar which he took to like a duck to water. In the last 35 years he has become an accomplished musician and band owner/leader.
The rest of the kids. Two of them in their mid adult years took up the piano with lessons. They are almost competent parlor players. The rest of them? They play CD's and have no desire to play an instrument but when they come here they want me to play for hours on end. Go figure?
Bebop

[This message has been edited by BEBOP (edited 12-02-2004).]

#147983 - 12/02/04 08:05 AM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
RicFreak Offline

Loc: Italy
I have three daughters, currently 9, 13 and 17, and I pushed all three to music.

Sara is 17 and learned piano from 6 to 12, then she discovered her passion for flute, so she reduced her piano effort, moving to the flute, where now she's pretty good. But, apart from the instrument, I am very satisfied about her knowledge of music, her ability to read music and play with apparently no effort.

This same situation applies to Marta, the 13 one, which started harp when she was 7. With highs and lows she's still learning with very good results: she won a couple of contests and she's very "musical" if you know what I mean. Now she started to discover classic guitar, but harp is still her main instrument.

Finally, the little one, Camilla, who started violin 2 years ago and alredy reads music as I read messages in this forum.

Why have I told you all this? Because there is a big, extremely big effort on parents side. I stressed them for years about how good is music and how good is knowing it and how good is achieving the ability of playing an instruments. There has been highs and lows, and they have been about to dismiss a couple of time, but we all have supported each other and still they are.

So, todays generation suffers from that "everything and now" instant gratification, but we (parents, I mean) have to play our parts.

#147984 - 12/02/04 11:12 AM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Bebop,
I can relate to you a bit I myself am one of 8 kids. Interesting thing is there is NO musical talent in my siblings. Sure they all tried an instrument here and there, but gave up after a few lessons. This benefited me because I got a lot of instruments handed to me from them We got a piano when I was quite young. No one was interested but me. Eventually my parents put me in lessons, and I too hated them with a passion. Couldn't stand the recitals. I quit the lessons, but was still determined to play because I enjoyed the music. I ended up teaching myself piano (can't really read music though... Just know what goes together from years of practice). I also taught myself guitar, and drums. I myself get frustrated with the (instant gratification music approach). Like others said its just the times. I know individuals who rap,and so forth who call themselves (seasoned musicians, and can't play a single instrument). They use royalty free loops with programs like Acid. They think that just because they can copy and past a loop, and burn a CD it makes them a musician. This is the approach with a lot of music today. I remember for a while everyone was ripping music off of other musicians, They'd pay the royalties and release a new version of an old song. There will always be a need for (real) musicians. The piano has been around for a long time, and I don't see musicians getting phased out any time soon. Can't remember the last time I saw a rapper performing at a wedding

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#147985 - 12/02/04 12:18 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
Alone&Forsaken Offline

"squeak_D

I'm working on a composition that I'd like some feedback on from members here. It's probably not everyone's style of music though. It falls under the category R&B/Hip Hop. I recorded 6 tracks. I played the drums manually for a nice slow groove (didn't have anything remotely related to the drum track on the WK. I think it sounds really good... I was listening to Alicia Keys latest album today and sort of got enspired by a few of her songs. (she has a nice slow swing to her music, with that hip hop twist). The beauty of it is I used all GM voices and it turned out great! If anyone is interested in checking out the few measures I did just reply and I'll send it to ya.

Thanks,
Squeak"

You just say whatever whenever...and never post up ANY viable music to back up your blah blah blah. Sad and I hope IM not the only one here that has noticed. Plus speaking in a topic about lazy musicians is kinda screwed up when you just posted some "guitar in a box" software the other day you couldn't wait to try out.
http://www.originalz.com/casio/casio_bbs/viewtopic.php?t=88&sid=b6c33a9a9a9f170e96e6c2c7b3fd5ddb

#147986 - 12/02/04 12:31 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Be nice. Not everyone has access to web space. I don't. What do you think this means,"just reply and I'll send it to ya."
Just email squeak, and he will send it to you. I have heard lots of his music and he is an accomplished, creative musician.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 12-02-2004).]

#147987 - 12/02/04 12:43 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Probably many people would like to learn music and can't afford $25,$35, or $50 an hour for lessons, especially if they have 3 or 4 kids.

I think most of the great musicians grew up poor and learned on an old beat up piano.

Can anyone think of a rich guy that became a great musician. There must be a few, right?

#147988 - 12/02/04 12:59 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
RicFreak...Good for you and your daughters. That's great to hear.
My 22year old son, got his first guitar 6 months ago, and asked if I could teach him to play a "song or two".
I told him I'd go one better and if he could devote the time to practicing, then I would teach him the basic understanding of his instrument...what the notes are, where to find them, how to find them and the mathematical relation to one another for chord building, and then it was up to him to do the intense work of repetition until it set in, but only if he wanted to.
I didn't know how he was progressing until 2 weeks ago. I was noodling on the keys when he dropped by, asked what I was playing, and if he could jam along. He picked up one of my acoustics and joined in on "Layla" in minutes.
Feels kinda Good.

------------------
...L

#147989 - 12/02/04 01:28 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by brickboo:
Probably many people would like to learn music and can't afford $25,$35, or $50 an hour for lessons, especially if they have 3 or 4 kids.

That's the position that I'm in, but I was thinking, what would I need a teacher for? If you want to learn to read sheet music, just record yourself on a MIDI file and print it out. Does it match the sheet?
Don't know what the timing is, input the notes in a sequencer and play it. That's what it's supose to sound like. Posture, postioning, attack, hmmmm?
Starkeeper

#147990 - 12/02/04 02:43 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
One of the problems I see in today's young musicians is everybody wants to be a star. Most don't want to learn other types of music besides what they play. Young musicians don't want to play at weddings or clubs or parties. They all play at showcases where, not only do they not get paid , more often than not the promoter chrages them a fee to use the pa system. They think they will be "discovered" that way.
A few years ago my band auditioned some guitar and bass players that were music majors at Syracuse University, without a chart they could not even play Kansas City, And I'm not stretching the truth at all.

------------------
qqqwq@hotmail.com

#147991 - 12/02/04 03:16 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
What can I say about this issue?
I have +- 30 music students 10/15 years old that are attentive and studious and I don't have any problem to teach my music lessons. Two young girls 14 and 15 old, with four years of musical teaching can make a gig for 4/5 hours without problems with a perfect knowledge of music parts and chords structure.
How is delightful to share experiences with this young people, teaching and learning.
Chico

[This message has been edited by ChicoBrasil (edited 12-02-2004).]

#147992 - 12/02/04 04:06 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
drdalet Offline

Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
I have a daughter and I wanted her to play music too, but didn't want to push.
I gave her a keyboard when she was rather small, because she showed interest in music when it was on television. She saw I was enjoying it and I was always moving and dancing on music. But she wasn't really interested in that toyish keyboard. The guitar was too big for her, so I tried to get her on the ukelele. Nope, not interested. She was interested in dancing though and did Jazzballet when she was about 8 years old. Later on she went on to another danceschool, but stopped when she was about 14. In the meantime I bought a bigger keyboard - a more realistic kind.
She tried, but I saw she didn't have feeling for it. Suddenly she showed interest in drums. I tried her to start on electronic drums, but she wanted real drums! She has been taking lessons now for 2 years (she will be 18 in january).
But dancing is really her thing and I drive her every wednesday to Amsterdam to Hip-Hop-lessons, where she is dancing to Usher and other Urban music. And I watch and enjoy it.
I enjoy the music too.
I have come to value the rapscene of today, because there are some very good productions. I just saw the clip on MTV of Jesus Walks - a very impressive video and music production. (there are actually two video's of this rap).
I like singers like Christina Aguilera and Justin Timberlake and rappers like Eminem and Nelly (I really like the beat on "hot in herre"). And that small girl Christina Millian wrote some very good songs. She wrote Play, sung by Jennifer Lopez.

Recently I saw a 1989 documentary on the rap scene. I was impressed with black teens who are poor and use their body as musical instruments and rap with very interesting rhythmic patterns. They didn't have money to buy instruments and made use of whatever they had to express themselves with. Some of these "boys" live in Beverley Hills now.
On the other hand there are the richer boys and girls that had every opportunity and play an instrument and compose music, write lyrics etc. For instance Alicia Keys, who also sings with Usher, another very musical guy. Alicia performed at the North Sea Jazz Festival in The Hague.

There is a lot of music that goes around and a lot of musical children too. But there is not only music, but also different art-forms that have connections to music, like dancing and mixing (the "DJ/electronic route"). The many danceforms, like hiphop, lock'n'pop, streetdance,electric boogie, etc. are inspiring and far more sophisticated than the dances of the sixties and seventies.

Sorry guys, but I really love it today.
And "Laziness"? I don't think so!

------------------
drdalet

#147993 - 12/02/04 05:40 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
squeak_D Offline

Posted by: Alone&Forsaken (AKA: possibly 4Track)

"squeak_D
I'm working on a composition that I'd like some feedback on from members here. It's probably not everyone's style of music though. It falls under the category R&B/Hip Hop. I recorded 6 tracks. I played the drums manually for a nice slow groove (didn't have anything remotely related to the drum track on the WK. I think it sounds really good... I was listening to Alicia Keys latest album today and sort of got enspired by a few of her songs. (she has a nice slow swing to her music, with that hip hop twist). The beauty of it is I used all GM voices and it turned out great! If anyone is interested in checking out the few measures I did just reply and I'll send it to ya.

Thanks,
Squeak"

You just say whatever whenever...and never post up ANY viable music to back up your blah blah blah. Sad and I hope IM not the only one here that has noticed. Plus speaking in a topic about lazy musicians is kinda screwed up when you just posted some "guitar in a box" software the other day you couldn't wait to try out. http://www.originalz.com/casio/casio_bbs/viewtopic.php?t=88&sid=b6c33a9a9a9f17 0e96e6c2c7b3fd5ddb
----------------------------------

Gee you take something I posted on the CASIO forum on a completely different user forum outside the Zone and post it here??? Interesting. I had numerous people email from that forum and I shared it with them. I don't have the means to post on the web as Starkeeper stated. Hmmm your profile says you just joined yesterday, which should mean you wouldn't know anyone here yet, but your single me out and say:"You just say whatever whenever...and never post up ANY viable music to back up your blah blah blah." If you just joined how do you know what I have and haven't posted??????

Nigel I think someone's back. 4track if you're back just email me dude if you have something to say. Don't waste the space and time of others here.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 12-02-2004).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#147994 - 12/02/04 07:43 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Interesting topic, Scott! On one hand, I agree with you completely but, in the back of my head, I don't think it's time to throw in the towel on the future of music. (Despite the annoying presence of RAP and Heavy Metal!) I believe that music, like other things that interest humans, constantly evolves and goes around in circles for those in the future to rediscover.

Thank goodness for arranger keyboards. They make it possible for me to work faster and to hear song ideas without having to hire a houseful of musicians. My only regret is not being able to play better.

I'm certain that when a youngster gets turned-on to music, the desire to learn to play will overcome his/her fears of the daunting task of learning to play.

Mike (my partner) and I are sure looking forward to meeting some of you guys in Shreveport in January.

#147995 - 12/03/04 06:00 AM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Riceroni9:
Mike (my partner) and I are sure looking forward to meeting some of you guys in Shreveport in January.

Wont be long I hope Don can contain his excitement

#147996 - 12/03/04 10:32 AM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
Jon Doe Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Funny, just this week I was in GC, and as I walked through the guitar section - I heard this amazing R&R riff coming from a Les Paul. I walked over closer to see who was playing and the kid couldn't have been 9 yrs old ! I swear it! The Les Paul weighed about as much as he did. He was just smiling' and jammin' away. It actually made the hair on my neck stand up to see such a talent in such a young body.
There's hope yet!

I ran into a 22 year old kid the other night that had just bought his first B3. He could really play it too. Does a heart good.

I personally am sensing a resurgence in acquiring the old analog musical skills and sounds up here in the PNW. especially amoung the 20 something set ...

#147997 - 12/06/04 03:07 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
Alone&Forsaken Offline

"Gee you take something I posted on the CASIO forum on a completely different user forum outside the Zone and post it here??? Interesting. I had numerous people email from that forum and I shared it with them. I don't have the means to post on the web as Starkeeper stated. Hmmm your profile says you just joined yesterday, which should mean you wouldn't know anyone here yet, but your single me out and say:"You just say whatever whenever...and never post up ANY viable music to back up your blah blah blah." If you just joined how do you know what I have and haven't posted?????? "

I can read. Sorry just everyone else around here ive seen share legit musical ideas and so on. The only postings ive seen of yours have been "unfinished 30sec clip" "wow guitar on keyboard just got easy" then I see stuff like "guitarist, drummer, keyboardist of twenty years."

So perhaps you can understand my perspective, as half of the things you have stated you are...seem in contradiction with things you do, knowledge you offer, and questions you ask. This would be more so enhanced by your "keyboard history" paper...not to insult any members here, I just found it odd that with your twenty years of playing you dint have any real world connections...band members...past bands...recordings...or anything independent to offer as part of that paper. Hell you asked "who is a famous keyboard player" I think you can understand why someone would be iffy on your supposed twenty year background.

"Nigel I think someone's back. 4track if you're back just email me dude if you have something to say. Don't waste the space and time of others here.

Squeak"

Sorry, but everyone that doesn't agree with you ( or just questions ) isn't some nightmare from your past. The fact that someone else might have brought up the things that cause you an involuntary reaction now...makes me think maybe my early observations are correct.

#147998 - 12/06/04 03:18 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
I kinda dread the day that some wunderkid shows up in my neighborhood that can outplay me - I'll be looking for a new neighborhood when that happens!

What's odd is that this seems to be the deal with PIANO. With guitar, I guarantee you I can go into any music store anywhere and if there are three youngsters in there, they can play circles around me. I know extremely talented guitarists who regularly are amazed. Of course, just because they can play doesn't mean they can perform. But the amount of whiz kids on guitar never ceases to amaze me.

Part of it is cost. You can buy a pretty amazing guitar for a few hundred bucks. And coolness. Kids think guitars are cool. But now Casio and Yamaha have these keyboards for a few hundred bucks. I just visited someone who bought the granddaughter a Yamaha dgx505.

It's FAR harder to play piano than guitar. Learn some power chords on guitar and get after it. Those are the ones who tick me off. Making noise. Who learn three power chords and then think they can gig. It's laughable, what with the talent in the music store.

#147999 - 12/06/04 04:13 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
squeak_D Offline

I can read. Sorry just everyone else around here ive seen share legit musical ideas and so on. The only postings ive seen of yours have been "unfinished 30sec clip" "wow guitar on keyboard just got easy" then I see stuff like "guitarist, drummer, keyboardist of twenty years
------------------------------------

I was interested in the quitar unit because I was curious to see how it operated and how the sound quality was. Yes this caught my interest. I was interested to see what the user (could program) the unit to do. Nothing wrong with that. So what if my clips were short. I don't have the means to post on the web. Am I the only one who doesn't post music on a regular basis?? (ABSOLUTELY NOT).

This would be more so enhanced by your "keyboard history" paper...not to insult any members here, I just found it odd that with your twenty years of playing you dint have any real world connections...band members...past bands...recordings...or anything independent to offer as part of that paper. Hell you asked "who is a famous keyboard player"
------------------------------

I had several players I planned on using and know quite a few off the top of my head. I was looking for others that were considered famous, but not so well known to the public. I credited numerous groups in my paper regarding their keyboardists. I discussed great musicians like Herbie Hancock, Ray Charles, Chuck Berry and countless others.

"Nigel I think someone's back. 4track if you're back just email me dude if you have something to say. Don't waste the space and time of others here.

Squeak"

Sorry, but everyone that doesn't agree with you ( or just questions ) isn't some nightmare from your past. The fact that someone else might have brought up the things that cause you an involuntary reaction now...makes me think maybe my early observations are correct.
-----------------------------------

Ask any questions you like, I really don't care, and what I said was WELL WARRANTED based on what you said and the date you registered to the forum. You're either someone we've all had a disagreement with in the past who has disapeared on more than one occasion, or you're just a lurker to the forum who finally joined, and if you're a lurker what right do you have to criticize me? If you're new as to the date on your registration what have you shared and contributed to this forum? I've been a member here for 4 years--how about yourself?? Being a member doesn't require me to post music.

I used to peform with groups on a regular basis, but you know some people here are married and have families with children and can no longer perform or devote the time we once had to music. I am one of those people. I don't have time to perform anymore, so I get my enjoyment from personal play at home. I'm a full time college student, full time husband, and a full time father. My life is very busy. I'm thankful for the little time that I have to play at home. Just because I don't post music doesn't make me any less of a musician. Yes I have years of music experience, that I have shared with other memebers here in posts and private email as well. Once I start getting more personal time I'll start submitting music to the forum. Again what have you done? What have you posted to this forum?

Squeak

#148000 - 12/07/04 12:20 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
jeremy_norbury Offline

Loc: Amsterdam,,The Netherlands
Hmmm...

Scott - those are very broad brush strokes you are making there...and I have to say I do not share your sentiments.

I have two sons aged 8 and 10 and a 41 year old wife who surround my life in "Modern Rock" - Linkin Park, Creed, Nickleback to you and me. Not my favorite.

Both my sons have chosen to learn "conventional" musical instruments - Sax and Acoustic Guitar. And both really like it. I never pushed them into these instruments and I was prepared to essentially allow them to learn any instrument they wanted. Their music-school, run by the local council, has a waiting list for the sax, flute, piano and guitar.

I, on the other hand, have the PSR 2000 keyboard...

I think that it's hard to generalise.

Jerry
Amsterdam

#148001 - 12/07/04 01:32 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jeremy_norbury:
Scott - those are very broad brush strokes you are making there...and I have to say I do not share your sentiments. . . Both my sons have chosen to learn "conventional" musical instruments - Sax and Acoustic Guitar. And both really like it. I never pushed them into these instruments and I was prepared to essentially allow them to learn any instrument they wanted. Their music-school, run by the local council, has a waiting list for the sax, flute, piano and guitar.

Jermemy: I think it's TERRIFIC to hear that both your kids are enjoying learning to play a musical instrument, but ....

The KEY difference between your situation and so many other families (especially many here in the US) is that music is increasingly less stressed, and even dropped from the school cirruculum altogether. Luckily, because you're a musician yourself, your sons have gotten a lot of EXPOSURE to both 'your' type of music, as well as contemporary music of today, as well as attend a school which actually 'includes' a dedicated music program. Unfortuantely, this is NOT the case with many (most?) families today, and many kids are given no exposure to develop an appreciation for music other than rap/hip hop. - Scott

#148002 - 12/07/04 02:14 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
jeremy_norbury Offline

Loc: Amsterdam,,The Netherlands
Obviously different here. In The Netherlands the music schools are run by the city councils and are available to everyone at very reasonable costs.

I still consider rap/hippop/alt.rock to be perfectly acceptible forms of music though. I still don't get the association with not wanting to learn to play real instruments...

Jerry
Amsterdam

#148003 - 12/07/04 03:58 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
zuki Offline

While growing up, the only other choice between playing the organ through earphones, was watching a tiny TV in the same room with my family. So I chose the organ for many years. Today, my music time is robbed also by the internet, better TV and other instantaneous pleasures. I've become distracted.
zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#148004 - 12/07/04 06:12 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jeremy_norbury:
Obviously different here. In The Netherlands the music schools are run by the city councils and are available to everyone at very reasonable costs.

I believe this highlights the dramatic difference between the European & recent American public education system and what has lead to far less exposure and music appreciation beyond contemporary & commercial hip hop & rap by so many american young people today. When I was growing up, I was fortunate enough to be exposed to many types of music (from classical, jazz, country, to contemporary rock, and world). Yet, I have friends of my same generation in their 30's, who may recognize composer names like: Bach, Hadyn, Glenn Miller, and even the Beatles, but aren't able to recognize songs written by them. I think it's important to not only enjoy the contemporary music of today, but to also become exposed & develop at least some appreciation of music from past generations as well. This gives the listener a deeper appreciation of music in general, because it highlights where we came from and how music has evolved thru the years. Exposure to different styles & genres (from world to jazz to classic, and hip hop/rap) broadens our perspective as musicians as well, giving us new musical ideas to create from.

Interestingly enough, many American Musicians (especially jazz & classical) are finding greater audience interest & appreciation, and greater financial reward, performing in Europe & Japan.

Scott

#148005 - 12/08/04 06:51 AM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
drdalet Offline

Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
Well, Scott, in the Netherlands everything happens 20 years later, so I think it will soon be like in America here.
Probably we will do it the American way, when America has changed their way for the better.

------------------
drdalet

[This message has been edited by drdalet (edited 12-08-2004).]

#148006 - 12/08/04 07:08 AM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Riceroni9:

Mike (my partner) and I are sure looking forward to meeting some of you guys in Shreveport in January.[/B]

Looking forward to seeing you and the others in January. We will "be jammin" for sure.

DNJ==I AM getting excited, and lining up a full slate of Crawfish dishes for you!
DonM

#148007 - 12/08/04 07:11 AM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Looking forward to seeing you and the others in January. We will "be jammin" for sure.

DNJ==I AM getting excited, and lining up a full slate of Crawfish dishes for you!
DonM

Fugeddabouttit!!!
My mouths watering ........oh yea bring on the Southern faire.......and some ZYDECO Music too!!! see ya in 3 weeks

#148008 - 12/08/04 08:42 AM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by drdalet:
Probably we will do it the American way, when America has changed their way for the better.

Drdalet: I wouldn't get your hopes up, at least not for the next 4 years. US governement funding & support of 'arts & music' programs here continues to SPIRAL in decline. - Scott

#148009 - 12/08/04 12:48 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I just met a 77 year old lady at a senior dinner party[I played] yesterday...She asked if I started out playing accordion, and i told her I did....She then told me she has studied the accordion for the last five years....that's right.. the Last five years,,she started at 72....I told her we would do a duo at next years party..

#148010 - 12/08/04 04:59 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
She then told me she has studied the accordion for the last five years....that's right.. the Last five years,,she started at 72....I told her we would do a duo at next years party..

Gotta see 'THAT'! Don't forget to take pics. - Scott

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online