SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#194575 - 12/04/04 04:11 PM Roland vs Yamaha Arranger Keyboards
Darksounds Offline

I was wondering how you guys think these Arranger keyboards compare to each other , if possible give some reasons for why you think one is superior over the other .

Roland EXR-5 vs Yamaha PSR-1100

Roland EXR-7 vs Yamaha PSR-1500

#194576 - 12/04/04 11:46 PM Re: Roland vs Yamaha Arranger Keyboards
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Quote:
Originally posted by Darksounds:
I was wondering how you guys think these Arranger keyboards compare to each other , if possible give some reasons for why you think one is superior over the other .

Roland EXR-5 vs Yamaha PSR-1100

Roland EXR-7 vs Yamaha PSR-1500

both yams are better than rolands

reasons-They can write user styles and have 4 variations/fills per styles-must have for Kbs in arranger catagory.

only cons of psr 1100-(no mod wheel)-

1500's mega advantages-usb to device and Sm card slot,same simu efx like 3k

EXR- better keys,better piano for some,but more primitive everything compared to yams(functionwise these EXRs are in psr 550 catagory)( so no need to compare with psr 1X00 series).

PS-for 1000$ you can't get better than Korg PA 50.

[This message has been edited by jamman (edited 12-04-2004).]

#194577 - 12/05/04 02:46 PM Re: Roland vs Yamaha Arranger Keyboards
Darksounds Offline

I see . Thanks for the info .

I'm not terribly interested in how good just the Piano sounds but rather how good all the voices sound . It seems the Yamaha might have more Wave memory , considering that Roland does not list how much the EXRs have , no listing is always automatically suspicious .

I'll check out that Korg .

#194578 - 12/05/04 02:50 PM Re: Roland vs Yamaha Arranger Keyboards
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Even the older PSR2000 sounds much better than the Roland IMHO, not to mention a lot easier OS.

You can easily save your sound registrations to the 8 Reg Mem buttons on the PSR. YOu also have direct buttons to style groups and sound groups rather than the numbered keypad system on the EX.

Scott

#194579 - 12/06/04 08:22 AM Re: Roland vs Yamaha Arranger Keyboards
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
BEWARE the Roland EXR-7 amplifier/speakers are unuseable IMO. You would have to purchase an external speaker system for the EXR-7. Possibly overdriven? THis is a non-starter for me. The EXR-5 does not have this problem.
Jamman said "(functionwise these EXRs are in psr 550 catagory)" The EXR's cannot create a style, the PSR550 can.
Starkeeper

#194580 - 12/06/04 03:37 PM Re: Roland vs Yamaha Arranger Keyboards
Darksounds Offline

Strange that a company like Roland would make Arranger keyboards which have some serious flaws and omissions .

I did check out that Korg keyboard and indeed it seems very good too .

I will probably decide either on the Korg PA-50 or the Yamaha PSR-1500 .

#194581 - 12/06/04 04:07 PM Re: Roland vs Yamaha Arranger Keyboards
jamman Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Darksounds:
Strange that a company like Roland would make Arranger keyboards which have some serious flaws and omissions .

I did check out that Korg keyboard and indeed it seems very good too .

I will probably decide either on the Korg PA-50 or the Yamaha PSR-1500 .

http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/009293.html
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/009349.html

#194582 - 12/06/04 07:49 PM Re: Roland vs Yamaha Arranger Keyboards
Darksounds Offline

Thanks again for the info .

Perhaps it would help if I outlined what I wish to do really with my keyboard .

I have little interest in going on stage and performing , I wish to create music of my own . I care about sounds and recording my own music .

If you are familiar with Depeche Mode I don't want a keyboard that can only manage the kind of cheap sounds that Vince Clark used to make back in the early 80s . I would like something more in line of the later Depeche Mode

Now I could go for a synth workstation rather than an arranger keyboard which would mean I would have to buy some speakers which is no big deal . However as I understand Synth workstations have no preset styles , you have to make your own which I want to do certainly but it is nice to have some preset ones which can also be edited .

If I got a synth it would probably have to be one with a built in sequencer rather than a software based one which I have to use on my PC .

On the plus side they will probably sound better than Arranger keyboards for the same price.

Anyway what I got out of those user comments is that the Korgs sound better and have a better sequencer while the Yamahas have more features and are easier to use .

Anyone disagree there ?

[This message has been edited by Darksounds (edited 12-06-2004).]

#194583 - 12/07/04 01:08 AM Re: Roland vs Yamaha Arranger Keyboards
jamman Offline

Clarke is a retro analog guy who hates midi and rely more on his ARP and Serge.
but if you like thier songs like"strange love""you're no good" stuff Korg and do them well.

those comparisms in the threads are for arrangers only.not workstations.Motif is a lot better than triton in acoustic dept.

#194584 - 12/07/04 06:07 AM Re: Roland vs Yamaha Arranger Keyboards
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
If you like Depeche Mode and want to do that style I'd suggest a synth/workstation. The arranger is going to give you great acoustic sounds, but I think will fall short in the synth department for sounds. You may want to consider the following.

Roland: Fantom (even the earliest fantom is good) Maybe a used XP-60 or XP-80

Korg: All Triton models will work well. You may even consider the earlier Trinity (great synth)

Yamaha: Any board from the Motif series. Possibly the older Yamaha EX-5 or EX-7

Newer synths have styles, but not in the way of an arranger. The Motif is a good example. It has preset drum patterns that you can use and edit. Plus models that have samplers will be beneficial too.

All these models vary by difficultness in the OS. Personally I think Roland synths have a good OS. Korg is fairly easy as well. The Tritons (except the LE) have touch screens to simplify navigation. In my opinion the most difficult one may be the Yamaha Motif. Once you get the hang of Yamaha's OS it's quite easy to operate.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online