Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj 12/01/04:
"Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...." :

I see it every day......the younger generation want to go the easy DJ/Electronic route vs taking lessons, and learning to play an instrument resulting in the ongoing demise of Live Music as we grew up knowing.Is it too far gone an issue, are parents at fault, is society at fault, is their too many choices,
I just can't pinpont it?....
How do you see it? What is really going on,,,,?

Donny, perhaps we're merely victims of modern society. It's just another symptom of the INSTANT gratification we've grown to expect, partly because of the fast paced society we're living in, which means less & less time available to devote to becoming better musicians. My former vocal coach (Judy Davis) always reminded her students that this instant gratification trend began way back with the onset of television, instant cereal, & the microwave generation were we came to EXPECT instant results with everything. With the computer internet age, everything has speed up that much faster.

The FACT is, that art & music are akin to making fine wine. Yes, you can produce cheap wine (albeit cheap tasting too ) quickly, but FINE wine takes years to age. The same goes for musicianship & other artistic creative endevours as well. Regretably, people today are finding less & less time (impatience) to put in the dues (hours & years) required to become good musicians, and instead, opting for the a 'quick buck' gig solution, relying on technology to cover up for their musicianship deficiencies. This in turn gives the public the impression that anybody can become a musician (aka star) now, and that hutsfa & bravado matter more than musicianship to become a pro. Thankfully there are audiences out there that still APPRECIATE musicianship & willing to pay to see music performed live (as well as the personal creative expression that go along with it). How long this lasts, I don't know, but I may have to go down with the sinking ship if it comes to that.

Scott