SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#148004 - 12/07/04 06:12 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by jeremy_norbury:
Obviously different here. In The Netherlands the music schools are run by the city councils and are available to everyone at very reasonable costs.

I believe this highlights the dramatic difference between the European & recent American public education system and what has lead to far less exposure and music appreciation beyond contemporary & commercial hip hop & rap by so many american young people today. When I was growing up, I was fortunate enough to be exposed to many types of music (from classical, jazz, country, to contemporary rock, and world). Yet, I have friends of my same generation in their 30's, who may recognize composer names like: Bach, Hadyn, Glenn Miller, and even the Beatles, but aren't able to recognize songs written by them. I think it's important to not only enjoy the contemporary music of today, but to also become exposed & develop at least some appreciation of music from past generations as well. This gives the listener a deeper appreciation of music in general, because it highlights where we came from and how music has evolved thru the years. Exposure to different styles & genres (from world to jazz to classic, and hip hop/rap) broadens our perspective as musicians as well, giving us new musical ideas to create from.

Interestingly enough, many American Musicians (especially jazz & classical) are finding greater audience interest & appreciation, and greater financial reward, performing in Europe & Japan.

Scott

#148005 - 12/08/04 06:51 AM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
drdalet Offline

Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
Well, Scott, in the Netherlands everything happens 20 years later, so I think it will soon be like in America here.
Probably we will do it the American way, when America has changed their way for the better.

------------------
drdalet

[This message has been edited by drdalet (edited 12-08-2004).]

#148006 - 12/08/04 07:08 AM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Riceroni9:

Mike (my partner) and I are sure looking forward to meeting some of you guys in Shreveport in January.[/B]

Looking forward to seeing you and the others in January. We will "be jammin" for sure.

DNJ==I AM getting excited, and lining up a full slate of Crawfish dishes for you!
DonM

#148007 - 12/08/04 07:11 AM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Looking forward to seeing you and the others in January. We will "be jammin" for sure.

DNJ==I AM getting excited, and lining up a full slate of Crawfish dishes for you!
DonM

Fugeddabouttit!!!
My mouths watering ........oh yea bring on the Southern faire.......and some ZYDECO Music too!!! see ya in 3 weeks

#148008 - 12/08/04 08:42 AM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by drdalet:
Probably we will do it the American way, when America has changed their way for the better.

Drdalet: I wouldn't get your hopes up, at least not for the next 4 years. US governement funding & support of 'arts & music' programs here continues to SPIRAL in decline. - Scott

#148009 - 12/08/04 12:48 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I just met a 77 year old lady at a senior dinner party[I played] yesterday...She asked if I started out playing accordion, and i told her I did....She then told me she has studied the accordion for the last five years....that's right.. the Last five years,,she started at 72....I told her we would do a duo at next years party..

#148010 - 12/08/04 04:59 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
She then told me she has studied the accordion for the last five years....that's right.. the Last five years,,she started at 72....I told her we would do a duo at next years party..

Gotta see 'THAT'! Don't forget to take pics. - Scott

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online