SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#147994 - 12/02/04 07:43 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Interesting topic, Scott! On one hand, I agree with you completely but, in the back of my head, I don't think it's time to throw in the towel on the future of music. (Despite the annoying presence of RAP and Heavy Metal!) I believe that music, like other things that interest humans, constantly evolves and goes around in circles for those in the future to rediscover.

Thank goodness for arranger keyboards. They make it possible for me to work faster and to hear song ideas without having to hire a houseful of musicians. My only regret is not being able to play better.

I'm certain that when a youngster gets turned-on to music, the desire to learn to play will overcome his/her fears of the daunting task of learning to play.

Mike (my partner) and I are sure looking forward to meeting some of you guys in Shreveport in January.

#147995 - 12/03/04 06:00 AM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Riceroni9:
Mike (my partner) and I are sure looking forward to meeting some of you guys in Shreveport in January.

Wont be long I hope Don can contain his excitement

#147996 - 12/03/04 10:32 AM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
Jon Doe Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Funny, just this week I was in GC, and as I walked through the guitar section - I heard this amazing R&R riff coming from a Les Paul. I walked over closer to see who was playing and the kid couldn't have been 9 yrs old ! I swear it! The Les Paul weighed about as much as he did. He was just smiling' and jammin' away. It actually made the hair on my neck stand up to see such a talent in such a young body.
There's hope yet!

I ran into a 22 year old kid the other night that had just bought his first B3. He could really play it too. Does a heart good.

I personally am sensing a resurgence in acquiring the old analog musical skills and sounds up here in the PNW. especially amoung the 20 something set ...

#147997 - 12/06/04 03:07 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
Alone&Forsaken Offline

"Gee you take something I posted on the CASIO forum on a completely different user forum outside the Zone and post it here??? Interesting. I had numerous people email from that forum and I shared it with them. I don't have the means to post on the web as Starkeeper stated. Hmmm your profile says you just joined yesterday, which should mean you wouldn't know anyone here yet, but your single me out and say:"You just say whatever whenever...and never post up ANY viable music to back up your blah blah blah." If you just joined how do you know what I have and haven't posted?????? "

I can read. Sorry just everyone else around here ive seen share legit musical ideas and so on. The only postings ive seen of yours have been "unfinished 30sec clip" "wow guitar on keyboard just got easy" then I see stuff like "guitarist, drummer, keyboardist of twenty years."

So perhaps you can understand my perspective, as half of the things you have stated you are...seem in contradiction with things you do, knowledge you offer, and questions you ask. This would be more so enhanced by your "keyboard history" paper...not to insult any members here, I just found it odd that with your twenty years of playing you dint have any real world connections...band members...past bands...recordings...or anything independent to offer as part of that paper. Hell you asked "who is a famous keyboard player" I think you can understand why someone would be iffy on your supposed twenty year background.

"Nigel I think someone's back. 4track if you're back just email me dude if you have something to say. Don't waste the space and time of others here.

Squeak"

Sorry, but everyone that doesn't agree with you ( or just questions ) isn't some nightmare from your past. The fact that someone else might have brought up the things that cause you an involuntary reaction now...makes me think maybe my early observations are correct.

#147998 - 12/06/04 03:18 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
I kinda dread the day that some wunderkid shows up in my neighborhood that can outplay me - I'll be looking for a new neighborhood when that happens!

What's odd is that this seems to be the deal with PIANO. With guitar, I guarantee you I can go into any music store anywhere and if there are three youngsters in there, they can play circles around me. I know extremely talented guitarists who regularly are amazed. Of course, just because they can play doesn't mean they can perform. But the amount of whiz kids on guitar never ceases to amaze me.

Part of it is cost. You can buy a pretty amazing guitar for a few hundred bucks. And coolness. Kids think guitars are cool. But now Casio and Yamaha have these keyboards for a few hundred bucks. I just visited someone who bought the granddaughter a Yamaha dgx505.

It's FAR harder to play piano than guitar. Learn some power chords on guitar and get after it. Those are the ones who tick me off. Making noise. Who learn three power chords and then think they can gig. It's laughable, what with the talent in the music store.

#147999 - 12/06/04 04:13 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I can read. Sorry just everyone else around here ive seen share legit musical ideas and so on. The only postings ive seen of yours have been "unfinished 30sec clip" "wow guitar on keyboard just got easy" then I see stuff like "guitarist, drummer, keyboardist of twenty years
------------------------------------

I was interested in the quitar unit because I was curious to see how it operated and how the sound quality was. Yes this caught my interest. I was interested to see what the user (could program) the unit to do. Nothing wrong with that. So what if my clips were short. I don't have the means to post on the web. Am I the only one who doesn't post music on a regular basis?? (ABSOLUTELY NOT).

This would be more so enhanced by your "keyboard history" paper...not to insult any members here, I just found it odd that with your twenty years of playing you dint have any real world connections...band members...past bands...recordings...or anything independent to offer as part of that paper. Hell you asked "who is a famous keyboard player"
------------------------------

I had several players I planned on using and know quite a few off the top of my head. I was looking for others that were considered famous, but not so well known to the public. I credited numerous groups in my paper regarding their keyboardists. I discussed great musicians like Herbie Hancock, Ray Charles, Chuck Berry and countless others.

"Nigel I think someone's back. 4track if you're back just email me dude if you have something to say. Don't waste the space and time of others here.

Squeak"

Sorry, but everyone that doesn't agree with you ( or just questions ) isn't some nightmare from your past. The fact that someone else might have brought up the things that cause you an involuntary reaction now...makes me think maybe my early observations are correct.
-----------------------------------

Ask any questions you like, I really don't care, and what I said was WELL WARRANTED based on what you said and the date you registered to the forum. You're either someone we've all had a disagreement with in the past who has disapeared on more than one occasion, or you're just a lurker to the forum who finally joined, and if you're a lurker what right do you have to criticize me? If you're new as to the date on your registration what have you shared and contributed to this forum? I've been a member here for 4 years--how about yourself?? Being a member doesn't require me to post music.

I used to peform with groups on a regular basis, but you know some people here are married and have families with children and can no longer perform or devote the time we once had to music. I am one of those people. I don't have time to perform anymore, so I get my enjoyment from personal play at home. I'm a full time college student, full time husband, and a full time father. My life is very busy. I'm thankful for the little time that I have to play at home. Just because I don't post music doesn't make me any less of a musician. Yes I have years of music experience, that I have shared with other memebers here in posts and private email as well. Once I start getting more personal time I'll start submitting music to the forum. Again what have you done? What have you posted to this forum?

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#148000 - 12/07/04 12:20 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
jeremy_norbury Offline

Loc: Amsterdam,,The Netherlands
Hmmm...

Scott - those are very broad brush strokes you are making there...and I have to say I do not share your sentiments.

I have two sons aged 8 and 10 and a 41 year old wife who surround my life in "Modern Rock" - Linkin Park, Creed, Nickleback to you and me. Not my favorite.

Both my sons have chosen to learn "conventional" musical instruments - Sax and Acoustic Guitar. And both really like it. I never pushed them into these instruments and I was prepared to essentially allow them to learn any instrument they wanted. Their music-school, run by the local council, has a waiting list for the sax, flute, piano and guitar.

I, on the other hand, have the PSR 2000 keyboard...

I think that it's hard to generalise.

Jerry
Amsterdam

#148001 - 12/07/04 01:32 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by jeremy_norbury:
Scott - those are very broad brush strokes you are making there...and I have to say I do not share your sentiments. . . Both my sons have chosen to learn "conventional" musical instruments - Sax and Acoustic Guitar. And both really like it. I never pushed them into these instruments and I was prepared to essentially allow them to learn any instrument they wanted. Their music-school, run by the local council, has a waiting list for the sax, flute, piano and guitar.

Jermemy: I think it's TERRIFIC to hear that both your kids are enjoying learning to play a musical instrument, but ....

The KEY difference between your situation and so many other families (especially many here in the US) is that music is increasingly less stressed, and even dropped from the school cirruculum altogether. Luckily, because you're a musician yourself, your sons have gotten a lot of EXPOSURE to both 'your' type of music, as well as contemporary music of today, as well as attend a school which actually 'includes' a dedicated music program. Unfortuantely, this is NOT the case with many (most?) families today, and many kids are given no exposure to develop an appreciation for music other than rap/hip hop. - Scott

#148002 - 12/07/04 02:14 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
jeremy_norbury Offline

Loc: Amsterdam,,The Netherlands
Obviously different here. In The Netherlands the music schools are run by the city councils and are available to everyone at very reasonable costs.

I still consider rap/hippop/alt.rock to be perfectly acceptible forms of music though. I still don't get the association with not wanting to learn to play real instruments...

Jerry
Amsterdam

#148003 - 12/07/04 03:58 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
zuki Offline

While growing up, the only other choice between playing the organ through earphones, was watching a tiny TV in the same room with my family. So I chose the organ for many years. Today, my music time is robbed also by the internet, better TV and other instantaneous pleasures. I've become distracted.
zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online