SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#147984 - 12/02/04 11:12 AM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Bebop,
I can relate to you a bit I myself am one of 8 kids. Interesting thing is there is NO musical talent in my siblings. Sure they all tried an instrument here and there, but gave up after a few lessons. This benefited me because I got a lot of instruments handed to me from them We got a piano when I was quite young. No one was interested but me. Eventually my parents put me in lessons, and I too hated them with a passion. Couldn't stand the recitals. I quit the lessons, but was still determined to play because I enjoyed the music. I ended up teaching myself piano (can't really read music though... Just know what goes together from years of practice). I also taught myself guitar, and drums. I myself get frustrated with the (instant gratification music approach). Like others said its just the times. I know individuals who rap,and so forth who call themselves (seasoned musicians, and can't play a single instrument). They use royalty free loops with programs like Acid. They think that just because they can copy and past a loop, and burn a CD it makes them a musician. This is the approach with a lot of music today. I remember for a while everyone was ripping music off of other musicians, They'd pay the royalties and release a new version of an old song. There will always be a need for (real) musicians. The piano has been around for a long time, and I don't see musicians getting phased out any time soon. Can't remember the last time I saw a rapper performing at a wedding

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#147985 - 12/02/04 12:18 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
Alone&Forsaken Offline

"squeak_D

I'm working on a composition that I'd like some feedback on from members here. It's probably not everyone's style of music though. It falls under the category R&B/Hip Hop. I recorded 6 tracks. I played the drums manually for a nice slow groove (didn't have anything remotely related to the drum track on the WK. I think it sounds really good... I was listening to Alicia Keys latest album today and sort of got enspired by a few of her songs. (she has a nice slow swing to her music, with that hip hop twist). The beauty of it is I used all GM voices and it turned out great! If anyone is interested in checking out the few measures I did just reply and I'll send it to ya.

Thanks,
Squeak"

You just say whatever whenever...and never post up ANY viable music to back up your blah blah blah. Sad and I hope IM not the only one here that has noticed. Plus speaking in a topic about lazy musicians is kinda screwed up when you just posted some "guitar in a box" software the other day you couldn't wait to try out.
http://www.originalz.com/casio/casio_bbs/viewtopic.php?t=88&sid=b6c33a9a9a9f170e96e6c2c7b3fd5ddb

#147986 - 12/02/04 12:31 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Be nice. Not everyone has access to web space. I don't. What do you think this means,"just reply and I'll send it to ya."
Just email squeak, and he will send it to you. I have heard lots of his music and he is an accomplished, creative musician.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 12-02-2004).]

#147987 - 12/02/04 12:43 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Probably many people would like to learn music and can't afford $25,$35, or $50 an hour for lessons, especially if they have 3 or 4 kids.

I think most of the great musicians grew up poor and learned on an old beat up piano.

Can anyone think of a rich guy that became a great musician. There must be a few, right?

#147988 - 12/02/04 12:59 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
RicFreak...Good for you and your daughters. That's great to hear.
My 22year old son, got his first guitar 6 months ago, and asked if I could teach him to play a "song or two".
I told him I'd go one better and if he could devote the time to practicing, then I would teach him the basic understanding of his instrument...what the notes are, where to find them, how to find them and the mathematical relation to one another for chord building, and then it was up to him to do the intense work of repetition until it set in, but only if he wanted to.
I didn't know how he was progressing until 2 weeks ago. I was noodling on the keys when he dropped by, asked what I was playing, and if he could jam along. He picked up one of my acoustics and joined in on "Layla" in minutes.
Feels kinda Good.

------------------
...L

#147989 - 12/02/04 01:28 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by brickboo:
Probably many people would like to learn music and can't afford $25,$35, or $50 an hour for lessons, especially if they have 3 or 4 kids.

That's the position that I'm in, but I was thinking, what would I need a teacher for? If you want to learn to read sheet music, just record yourself on a MIDI file and print it out. Does it match the sheet?
Don't know what the timing is, input the notes in a sequencer and play it. That's what it's supose to sound like. Posture, postioning, attack, hmmmm?
Starkeeper

#147990 - 12/02/04 02:43 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
One of the problems I see in today's young musicians is everybody wants to be a star. Most don't want to learn other types of music besides what they play. Young musicians don't want to play at weddings or clubs or parties. They all play at showcases where, not only do they not get paid , more often than not the promoter chrages them a fee to use the pa system. They think they will be "discovered" that way.
A few years ago my band auditioned some guitar and bass players that were music majors at Syracuse University, without a chart they could not even play Kansas City, And I'm not stretching the truth at all.

------------------
qqqwq@hotmail.com

#147991 - 12/02/04 03:16 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
What can I say about this issue?
I have +- 30 music students 10/15 years old that are attentive and studious and I don't have any problem to teach my music lessons. Two young girls 14 and 15 old, with four years of musical teaching can make a gig for 4/5 hours without problems with a perfect knowledge of music parts and chords structure.
How is delightful to share experiences with this young people, teaching and learning.
Chico

[This message has been edited by ChicoBrasil (edited 12-02-2004).]

#147992 - 12/02/04 04:06 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
drdalet Offline

Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
I have a daughter and I wanted her to play music too, but didn't want to push.
I gave her a keyboard when she was rather small, because she showed interest in music when it was on television. She saw I was enjoying it and I was always moving and dancing on music. But she wasn't really interested in that toyish keyboard. The guitar was too big for her, so I tried to get her on the ukelele. Nope, not interested. She was interested in dancing though and did Jazzballet when she was about 8 years old. Later on she went on to another danceschool, but stopped when she was about 14. In the meantime I bought a bigger keyboard - a more realistic kind.
She tried, but I saw she didn't have feeling for it. Suddenly she showed interest in drums. I tried her to start on electronic drums, but she wanted real drums! She has been taking lessons now for 2 years (she will be 18 in january).
But dancing is really her thing and I drive her every wednesday to Amsterdam to Hip-Hop-lessons, where she is dancing to Usher and other Urban music. And I watch and enjoy it.
I enjoy the music too.
I have come to value the rapscene of today, because there are some very good productions. I just saw the clip on MTV of Jesus Walks - a very impressive video and music production. (there are actually two video's of this rap).
I like singers like Christina Aguilera and Justin Timberlake and rappers like Eminem and Nelly (I really like the beat on "hot in herre"). And that small girl Christina Millian wrote some very good songs. She wrote Play, sung by Jennifer Lopez.

Recently I saw a 1989 documentary on the rap scene. I was impressed with black teens who are poor and use their body as musical instruments and rap with very interesting rhythmic patterns. They didn't have money to buy instruments and made use of whatever they had to express themselves with. Some of these "boys" live in Beverley Hills now.
On the other hand there are the richer boys and girls that had every opportunity and play an instrument and compose music, write lyrics etc. For instance Alicia Keys, who also sings with Usher, another very musical guy. Alicia performed at the North Sea Jazz Festival in The Hague.

There is a lot of music that goes around and a lot of musical children too. But there is not only music, but also different art-forms that have connections to music, like dancing and mixing (the "DJ/electronic route"). The many danceforms, like hiphop, lock'n'pop, streetdance,electric boogie, etc. are inspiring and far more sophisticated than the dances of the sixties and seventies.

Sorry guys, but I really love it today.
And "Laziness"? I don't think so!

------------------
drdalet

#147993 - 12/02/04 05:40 PM Re: Laziness amonst todays generation to learn an Instrument...
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Posted by: Alone&Forsaken (AKA: possibly 4Track)

"squeak_D
I'm working on a composition that I'd like some feedback on from members here. It's probably not everyone's style of music though. It falls under the category R&B/Hip Hop. I recorded 6 tracks. I played the drums manually for a nice slow groove (didn't have anything remotely related to the drum track on the WK. I think it sounds really good... I was listening to Alicia Keys latest album today and sort of got enspired by a few of her songs. (she has a nice slow swing to her music, with that hip hop twist). The beauty of it is I used all GM voices and it turned out great! If anyone is interested in checking out the few measures I did just reply and I'll send it to ya.

Thanks,
Squeak"

You just say whatever whenever...and never post up ANY viable music to back up your blah blah blah. Sad and I hope IM not the only one here that has noticed. Plus speaking in a topic about lazy musicians is kinda screwed up when you just posted some "guitar in a box" software the other day you couldn't wait to try out. http://www.originalz.com/casio/casio_bbs/viewtopic.php?t=88&sid=b6c33a9a9a9f17 0e96e6c2c7b3fd5ddb
----------------------------------

Gee you take something I posted on the CASIO forum on a completely different user forum outside the Zone and post it here??? Interesting. I had numerous people email from that forum and I shared it with them. I don't have the means to post on the web as Starkeeper stated. Hmmm your profile says you just joined yesterday, which should mean you wouldn't know anyone here yet, but your single me out and say:"You just say whatever whenever...and never post up ANY viable music to back up your blah blah blah." If you just joined how do you know what I have and haven't posted??????

Nigel I think someone's back. 4track if you're back just email me dude if you have something to say. Don't waste the space and time of others here.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 12-02-2004).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online