SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 15 of 15 < 1 2 13 14 15
Topic Options
#145497 - 08/28/07 04:06 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
when i wanted to buy my motif XS and even my Tyros 2 or PSR 3k for that matter, i had to pretty much work it all out myself. whenever i am buying a keyboard i usually spend about 2 weeks going back into the store nearly every second day exploring the keyboard in the shop.

People that work in most shops these days are just sales people. most of them dont get training at all...

#145498 - 08/28/07 09:46 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles: I'll tell you what's amazing. What's amazing is how much energy, thought, and time goes into figuring out new and cleverer ways to regurgitate the same tired arguments over and over again, ad naseum. I think that we know by now that points 1-13)chas
you got my vote here Chas for MAYBE BEST POST EVER... however, i would like to submit my reply here for consideration as well: SOLUTION TO 61/76 CONTROVERSY: why don't we stop fighting, just compromise and split the difference, guys?????????? let's see..a 15 key differential split in half means we add 7.5 keys, making it a new arranger kb standard: 68.5 keys!!!!!! BRILLIANT! er, ooops..1/2 a key won't work. so we have to decide on 68 or 69 keys. I think everyone should chime in here on which they think is better..each has its advantages and disadvantages, of course..I have always been partial to 69, because it implies equal pleasure at both ends of the keyboard...but of course more conservative-minded players would favor the 68 (which is a bit lighter as well, and might fit more easily in Uncle Dave's case). ANYONE? (don't forget to duck)

------------------
Miami Mo

#145499 - 08/29/07 04:06 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Great post, Mo....very clever.

Ian

#145500 - 08/29/07 08:37 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
Ian, nice of you to say so. btw, because i prefer 69 am i being fooled into thinking bigger and heavier is better? Mo

#145501 - 08/29/07 12:15 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
This post is for your info only but only if interested
I went to Colton Music in San Jose not because they are a piano and organ store, but because they sold the technics Digital pianos and keyboards from the time they came out. I have bought several Technics from them over the years.
I was looking for a KN2600 to keep in the motorhome permantly. I had sold mine as part of a group of three and should have kept it.
they only had one keyboard in the store and it was a Roland G 70. I already knew quite a bit about this keyboard from friends that bought it and returned it and from you forum members. I was sure I didn't want one but thought i would show off my chops to all the piano player/salespeople there
The problem was that nobody knew how to turn it on to play and I didn't either. they also didn't know how to play it. They were mostly concert pianists that could sell a piano.
They said wait a minute there was somebody there that could show us.
They went to the office and drug back this big fellow named Travis. He said he could demo it and told me he was the Western Sales Manager for Roland. I told him I had no interest at all that I just stopped looking for a left over or traded in Tehcnics. He started playing it anyway, and I started listening to it anyway
WOW. 2 hours later he told me that the E 80 was the next step up from the G 70 he was playing, Rolands current flagship and was like a G 70 on Steroids. This store didn't have an E 80 but Travis said he would ship me his Demo with lots of extra stuff in it and cut me a real deal. SO I bought me a Roland E 80. Yup it weights 55 pounds empty but my wife is young and strong and women don't get hernias
It rides on the queen bed in the back of the motorhome and doesn't get hurt there.
I have had it a couple few months now and decided to keep it.
I will also note that I played profesional piano for many many years, including a 6 night a week gig in a hotel lounge piano bar. I used to play 88 keys like Jerry whatshisname.
I got a 61 key keyboard in the early 70's and it took me about 3 years before I could play it, constantly breaking fingernails on the wood above and below the 61 keys. I have played 61 keys every since and now days don't even use all of them I may go to 49 next.
Anyway this has been an interesting thread and I give a lot of credit to the real intelectuals that posted here plus the real musicians, and to those that are both
You really make my day, every day,
SO.........I salute you all and thank you for sharing your wisdom, your attitude, and your concepts.
Best regards to everyone in this thread.
Keep on Keeping on.
Bebop

#145502 - 08/29/07 12:40 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
.........I salute you all and thank you for sharing your wisdom, your attitude, and your concepts.
Best regards to everyone in this thread.

Why thank you Bill...

#145503 - 08/29/07 04:37 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BEBOP:
but my wife is young and strong and women don't get hernias
Bebop

Yeh, but they sure know how to give them

Great story.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#145504 - 08/31/07 09:19 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
So right, ZUKI!

R.

#145505 - 08/31/07 09:35 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:
[QUOTE]
I have always
been partial to 69, because it implies equal pleasure at both ends of the keyboard...

Funny, funny stuff !

Page 15 of 15 < 1 2 13 14 15

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online