SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 8 of 15 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15 >
Topic Options
#145427 - 08/24/07 04:33 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
pianodano Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia
Well, it is called Synthzone. And this subforum is called the general arranger forum.

I have been a member here for quite a few years myself - going back to before the forum lost it's datasbase (as I recall)some years ago and required re-registering. Evidently, files can't be uploaded and myself, as someone that has worked with computers for over 30 years, I can't even figure out how to upload a picture. Really all you can do is dicuss instruments, imo.

But also this forum becomes too much like Gearslutz forum at times, what with the mfgr reps and salesmen that hang out here.
But at least on Gearslutz, when a mfgr or salesperson starts trashing someone elses product, that person is severely taken to task and will be suspended by the moderators. AND all salespeople and mfgr reps must state as much in their signature.

I have noticed over the years that the above mentioned types make it difficult to have any real discussion because the threads nearly always get sabotaged.

Such as, several posts back I very seriously asked "why can't Yamaha put a nice keybed on the top of the line arrangers"? Since this thread pertains to weight, could it possibly be that much of a weight issue? If that is what people say, I don't believe it. I will admit that my Motif XS seems to weigh little more that my Tyros, but it cost less and it is built like a tank which will probably last for years and years and, it has a delightful action. Full size keys also.

Or perhaps they (the mfgrs) have just written the arranger instruments off as just NOT top shelf.

I can't help but wonder if threads like this one are what sabotages any requests for a more substanstially built arranger.

Danny

[This message has been edited by pianodano (edited 08-24-2007).]

#145428 - 08/24/07 05:10 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Yamaha music is comprised of different divisions...digital pianos, synths, arrangers...etc.

These division actually compete with one another and often are reluctant to share sound-sets, keyboard actions, and many other features.

Sometimes a division uses a new technology to "test the waters" before it gets passed around to the others as witnessed with the Super Art. voices

I work as a demonstrator for Yamaha, and as a part of my job, I get to try keyboards from other manufacturers and compare...I do not diss the other's products outright, but I do discover things that don't appeal to me such as excess weight, inferior sounds, poor OS or poor workmanship...I also get to appreciate their good features as well.

I work for Yamaha by choice...they are the best in my opinion, and I want to be associated with the best...it's that simple.

I had been putting my job title in my profile, but it was used as a means to attck me several times, so I removed it...it's back again now.

BTW, the new Motifs are using the FSX action that was first introduced in the Tyros2.

Some people like to keep their gear for a long time...I like to trade up every 2-3 years to take advantage of the latest technology...especially in the arranger area.

Works for me, but not for everybody.

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.

#145429 - 08/24/07 05:26 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
pianodano Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:

I had been putting my job title in my profile, but it was used as a means to attck me several times, so I removed it...it's back again now.

WELL, ATTACKING YOU WAS UNCALLED FOR. ALWAYS A PLEASURE TO CHAT WITH YOU.

BTW, the new Motifs are using the FSX action that was first introduced in the Tyros2.

INTERSTING. BUT AS YOU ARE PROBABLY AWARE, TYROS (1) KINDA SHOWED ME ALL I NEEDED TO KNOW ABOUT THAT LINE OF INSTRUMENTS.

Some people like to keep their gear for a long time...I like to trade up every 2-3 years to take advantage of the latest technology...especially in the arranger area.

Works for me, but not for everybody.

Ian

VERY TRUE. I DECIDED TO INVEST IN SOFT SYNTHS. HOPEFULLY, THEY (YAHAMA) WILL SOON PUT OUT A OPEN ARCHITECHURE INSTURMENT SO
"WE" CAN BE THE ONES TO DECIDE WHAT SOUNDS WE USE. IF THEY DON"T, THEY WILL REGRET IT, IMHO.

Sorry Ian for appearing to yell with the caps, but I can't figure out how to multiquote here either. I am sure this post will be hard to deciper.

Danny

[This message has been edited by pianodano (edited 08-24-2007).]

#145430 - 08/24/07 05:41 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Danny,

To do a quote thingy, just click on the far right icon above the posters message...it's in the same place as the profile.

I found the keyboard action of the original Tyros to be only as good as the ones in the low end PSRs...and not any where near the quality it should have been.

The Tyros2 corrected that...thankfully.

Yep, I agree...having a choice of sound-sets would be great...whether it'll see the light of day in Yamaha arrangers first is questionable...probably will debut in synthesizers.

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.

#145431 - 08/24/07 06:36 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
it confirms what I suspected for a while now, that a many here share Cgiles's view as well, and the reason I now only drop in here occasionally to discuss non- music related matters.

Scott

Really, Scott? 'cause I could have sworn it was to admonish us on our practice and posting habits. As far as practice is concerned, I believe that's a PERSONAL decision for most of us; besides, clearly SOME need it more than others..... know what I mean .

For the record, I PLAY 2-3 hours a day, although probably only 20% could be construed as formal practice. Since I'm retired, this still leaves me plenty of time to respond to your post.

chas

#145432 - 08/24/07 06:40 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Mmmmm....If practice makes perfect, and nobody's perfect, why practice?
Ian

------------------

#145433 - 08/24/07 07:06 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
So why not practice pumpin' some iron?

It's difficult for me to believe that a healthy man, complains about having to lift 30 to 50 lbs. Why not take a look at ourselves and only then decide who's to blame. I'm almost 50 and I can lift more now then ever before. Or is it that I prefer to keep myself in shape?

And I find it extremely silly to complain about weight when there's "tons" of light gear out there. So get yourself a light keyboard and that's the end of the story.

I prefer a solidly built keyboard so that's what, if I like the voices and styles, I go for. And what if I can't find what I like out there? Well, I simply go for the next best solution. And do it all without complaining.

It's all too easy for me to agree with Mark. What's the big deal of him making his point. I agree with Chas as well. No matter how hard I try not too. Chas and Russ, the voices of reason.

As for what brand or model you play...I could care less. I judge the one playing it, not the brand or model.

Get in shape! Not an insult but a life saver. Sending a Richard Simmons tape would be an insult. Your loved ones willl love you more for it and you'll get to love them longer.JMHO

Taike

#145434 - 08/24/07 07:11 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Taike, I like lighter gear because I'm naturally very lazy.

I do stay in shape with martial arts, but, for everything else, I try to find the path of least resistance.

Hardest part of being lazy was getting over the guilt...that took all of 5 minutes.

Ian the Indolent

------------------

#145435 - 08/24/07 07:17 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Taike, I like lighter gear because I'm naturally very lazy.

I do stay in shape with martial arts, but, for everything else, I try to find the path of least resistance.

Hardest part of being lazy was getting over the guilt...that took all of 5 minutes.

Ian the Indolent

Hard to fault his logic .

chas

#145436 - 08/24/07 08:18 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I must be out of touch with reality as it exists today.
the only thing I used to carry to the gigs was my arrangement folder because I was playing piano. I often doubled on Trumpet and that was out in the car if I needed it.
NOW DAYS, I am 76 and I carry either a tyros 2 with a separate sound system or my G 70. I also pack along a PAIR of Peavey KB 100's that I think are about 75 pounds each with only one handle
I just pack them out to the motorhome, stow them in the basement and away we go. somehow I just don't understand all these previous posts in this thread. It was interesting reading but makes no sense to me. Maybe I am just too old to understand or even give a shXt
I do what I do because I want to. those that want to listen to me do so because they want to
Best to all,
Bebop

Page 8 of 15 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online