SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#133437 - 12/30/03 11:20 AM Worth upgrading to Sonar 3 from Sonar 2.2?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Any Cakewalk Sonar owners here upgrade to Sonar 3 yet?
http://cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/studio.asp

Sonar 3 supposedly includes a new improved design interface and a few other new features. I'm currently running Sonar 2.2 and wondering if it's worth the $79 promotional upgrade price or not.

I'm also curious to whether it's worth upgrading to 'Sonar Producer' (equivilent to Sonar XL) or if staying with 'Sonar Studio' (basic Sonar version) is sufficient.

Thanks in advance for feedback,

Scott

#133438 - 12/30/03 06:00 PM Re: Worth upgrading to Sonar 3 from Sonar 2.2?
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hello Scott:

I think it is a good idea the upgrade because Sonar 3 is VST compatible, there are a lot of great plug ins instruments like B4, etc. and the FX. For that kind of money, I would do it.

#133439 - 12/30/03 06:39 PM Re: Worth upgrading to Sonar 3 from Sonar 2.2?
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
I also think it's a good idea.

-ED-

#133440 - 12/30/03 07:06 PM Re: Worth upgrading to Sonar 3 from Sonar 2.2?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by 3351:
I also think it's a good idea.
-ED-

Quote:
Originally posted by mdorantes:
Hello Scott: I think it is a good idea the upgrade because Sonar 3 is VST compatible, there are a lot of great plug ins instruments like B4, etc. and the FX. For that kind of money, I would do it.

Thanks to both of you guys for your responses.

Manuel, thanks alot for reminding me about Sonar 3's newly added VST support. I was fortunate to get under the wire on the $79 upgrade as well as free shipping, since I also purchased the Sonar 3 Powerbook making the total purchase over $99 (needed to get free FEd-Ex 2 day air shipping. I decided though not to spend yet another extra $200 to upgrade to Sonar 3 Producer as I doubt I really need its additional features:
* Enhanced mixing console (per-channel EQ, assignable FX controls)
* VSampler 3.0 DXi
* Ultrafunk Sonitus fx Suite
* Professional Sample Library
* Lexicon® Pantheon™ Reverb (full version vs LE w/ Sonar 3 Studio)

I'm kinda curious which version of Sonar other Sonar users here are upgrading to or sticking with.

Manuel, knowing that you're a music salesman with Synthony Music in Arizona:
http://www.synthony.com/

any chance you and/or Synthony Music might be interested in taking part in a possible Las Vegas, NV based Synthone Convention get-together?

Scott

#133441 - 12/30/03 08:07 PM Re: Worth upgrading to Sonar 3 from Sonar 2.2?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Hi Scott. This is something we discussed briefly not long ago - about the need for companies to upgrade software but not necessarily the user to. I'll likely upgrade to Sonar 3 as soon as I see the need but for now I'm really comfy and functional with 2.2 and unless my needs change I don't need 3. Cakewalk made a plug-in program for 2.2 so that it will accept VST instruments. I have it but haven't used it much - I'm not a big VST user actually. I also find that Sound Forge gives me all of the Mastering functions that the Producer version of Sonar 3 seems to offer, or again at least as many functions as I need (I did upgrade to Sound Forge 7 recently).

I am making myself a real resolution for the coming year: to focus more on creating new music. I'm not sure I'd ever master what all music gear I now have. I'm always finding a new way to use Reason for example - it seems to have limitless songwriting possibilities. And I'm very interested in the potential of the new Vocaloids "soft-singers" that Yamaha is developing... but I've set my sights on making a new album or two this year that I can be proud of using the tools at hand.

#133442 - 12/30/03 08:20 PM Re: Worth upgrading to Sonar 3 from Sonar 2.2?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I'm at version 1.3 and holding. I was considering the upgrade and will likely still do it at some point, but I actually like some of the functionality of the SQ01 sequencer that came bundled with my Motif ES better, and it supports VST. Midi editing is very good on both, and I occasionally do need to use Sonar if I want to include some Cal script work.

AJ

#133443 - 01/07/04 02:54 AM Re: Worth upgrading to Sonar 3 from Sonar 2.2?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Review in Jan 2004 issue of UK PcPro magazine suggests the upgrade is well worth it.

Snippet from the review:

"Sonar has also received yet another drastic improvement to an already excellent interface. Add to this some amazing new features, and it becomes the best-value and easiest-to-use piece of production software available on the PC."

Website is www.pcpro.co.uk

Look in the Reviews archive section. I think you have to register with the site to gain access.

#133444 - 01/07/04 04:53 PM Re: Worth upgrading to Sonar 3 from Sonar 2.2?
mdolmon Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio,US
Yes I would upgrade as well, Also if you have a ASIO sound card you can run it as ASIO in Sonar.

#133445 - 01/09/04 04:58 PM Re: Worth upgrading to Sonar 3 from Sonar 2.2?
Shakil Offline

I will upgrade, when they upgrade MIDI piano roll.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online