SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#123814 - 11/22/05 01:20 PM Re: What are you really looking for?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Uh Oh..future song post, no feedback = sucks!

Zuki, not really. Sometimes it's not possible to review everything. I'm just not trying to catch up after having sound card problems, trying to change computers, etc.
Didn't you used to make Omnichords? :} http://www.suzukimusic.co.uk/omnichord/suzuki_omnichord.htm
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 11-22-2005).]

#123815 - 11/22/05 01:30 PM Re: What are you really looking for?
zuki Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DonM:

Didn't you used to make Omnichords?

Not me. That is in the Musical Instruments Divison. I was on the piano division team at Suzuki.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#123816 - 11/22/05 01:31 PM Re: What are you really looking for?
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I do try to think of something positive to say about the posts, or I say nothing at all. Also, if the song or genre is a type that I don't understand or appreciate I usually won't comment.
To tell the truth if someone is off key or way out of time, I just don't want to take a chance hurting their feelings or making them mad. After all, it's only my opinion and while I'm almost always right, there is a small, mathematical chance that I could be wrong...NAAH!
It's a good topic and good question though. I hope we get some better answers than mine!
DonM

I completely agree with DonM here.
Like Don I choose not to comment in several cases, allthough I admit I don't listen to everything posted, sometimes I just missed it or I just had no time..

I won't comment negative on vocals anyway as I am not a good singer myselve.

Fred

#123817 - 11/22/05 01:41 PM Re: What are you really looking for?
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Tony, the software is Antares Autotune, available as either a plugin or standalone. However, I've heard some of your offerings.....trust me, YOU don't need it.

chas

Thank you Chas....I was inquiring more to try to learn of the different types of software and programs out there to help me do some things down here where we can't get good musicians to do anything we need to get done here....maybe I should open a studio down here God knows we need one.... I'm trying to learn about software for music
I'll have to give DonM a call, he seems to have a handle on it....very smart and talented for an old man...hehehe
TR

#123818 - 11/22/05 02:33 PM Re: What are you really looking for?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
You know, it's a real slippery slope. Some players, particularly working in clubs, restaurants, etc. are really AWFUL...bad changes, bad meter. One of the worst in this area is a friend of mine. He's a trumpet/sax player. His timing is so bad he could never find a job, until he started buying tracks. He now believes and lets everyone know he's the best jazz player in the state. He's a great guy, and has worked at a small restaurant in town for 10 years.

All the real players in the area agree he's awful, but no one will tell him, because they don't want to hurt his feelings. His boastfulness is really wearing thin.

At this point, telling him may hurt his feelings, but he would probably think such comments to be "sour grapes".

The best thing for me to do in this case is to say nothing.

Here, I don't say anything if the music presented is not outstanding, but I understand that such an attitude dosen't help anyone improve.

Like I said, it's a slippery slope.

Russ

#123819 - 11/22/05 02:36 PM Re: What are you really looking for?
zalmi Offline

Loc: London, UK
Thanks Cgiles for the post,

I think the same thing was going through a lot of peoples minds but no one said it.

I believe what happened here was not a result of people saying their real opinion but rather quite the opposite.

Everyone is afraid to say something negative, but in fact FEELS or THINKS negative towards the performance/person. After a while of hiding behind smiley faces etc, eventually true feelings leek out when they get strong, and that's when it gets ugly.

Much better is to try to FEEL and THINK positive as much as possible, and then to post only HONEST opinions. Sure encouragement is always good, but if there is no honesty, it wontwithstand, and we've seen that.

Rather post a piece of contructive critisism or politely disagree than to fester hatred. If you know someone has made a mistake, explain politely. That's discussion.

As to outright mean comments, they should be dismissed as irrelevant and childish (or mods will help out).

Anyone disagree please?

:-)

Zalman

#123820 - 11/22/05 09:05 PM Re: What are you really looking for?
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
One of the problems of technology. Anyone thinks they can do music now. OK not anyone. But, you don't know how many peple come up to me and want to know if they can trade CDs with me. They think that they are on equal with me because they've put out a CD too. Granted, they can't tune a guitar, they can't stay in time, and they recorded their CD using Sound recorder in their basement, but by gosh they have a CD, and they feel their product is worthy of a trade with mine. It's a little hard to tell them "I don't want to trade, you are terrible."

What's even worse is people who have spent a lot of money doing a product (even went to Nashville to record) and the studio got them in and out as quick as possible with cookie cutter arrangements that are so pro they're stale. The musicians come in, read the charts, record the album, get paid, and never put so much as an ounce of passion in the singer's project. Then it's really hard to let them know they'll never get there, after all, they know they've just recorded in Nashville!

But, if they actually bother asking me what I think, I give them as honest an opinion as I can. Things like, "you've got some good ideas here, but the song-writing structure need s a little work in these areas." or "I wish your producer had spent a little more time on your vocals. There are some issues in the harmonies in the chorus that should have been fixed." or if it's really really terrible, I pass them along to someone else in our company, LOL.

#123821 - 11/22/05 09:37 PM Re: What are you really looking for?
KN_Fan Offline

I think I can actually handle 'good' input/criticism. I think it's how you deliver your comments. "The voice kinda suck", "I can't tell what it is, but the song doesn't sound good" would be a couple of the unacceptable ones.

Although I will have to say- sometimes it depends on who gives the comments too though. I know somebody who pretty much gave me numerous 'suggestions' while she couldn't even get her stuff right. Couldn't even get her syncopation down, but kept correcting everybody else throughout our band practice, to me that's pretty frustrating.

#123822 - 11/23/05 03:08 AM Re: What are you really looking for?
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
I have just enjoyed listening to each musicians flavor. I have no opinion!

Maybe the American Idols show has it down best. We may need a SIMON account created to which all members can critique a work if a musician asks. The SIMON account would have no members name attached to it. So, no hurt feelings. While we all laugh at that show, its judges etc. it has a worth to build and refine a performer. The singers stand in front of AMERICA on national TV and take the heat and comments to improve their performances and it appears to work well. Humility is a vertue! I know if I performed for my living, I would want to KNOW if I had issues that could be corrected to improve my performances and make more money!

I am not a performer and my love for music and keyboards does not make me a musician. I would NEVER critique someone's work. However, as part of the audience I can say which one I like and which one I do not care for and why.

No one here should be offended in any way shape or form by comments about their work as long as the comments are done tastefully and not in the SIMONS rude way!

Thanks,

-Linda

#123823 - 11/23/05 04:01 AM Re: What are you really looking for?
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Good points, Linda. But isn't "SIMON'S rude way" what keeps a huge section of the tv audience coming back every week - he's the real star of the show, eh?

That's why every different country's version of the show has a Simon clone on its panel of judges.

[This message has been edited by renig (edited 11-23-2005).]

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online