SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#113378 - 03/25/02 05:56 AM All-Time-Favorites
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey, I´m new here and from whar i read over the last 2 weeks i feel i`m in the middle of experts/musicians.During the upcoming summer i will have to play twice a week on river cruising ships, here in germany.the people there are solely americans aged about 50-70 years.My order is to provide a 2hour after-dinner dance and i will accomplish that with 9oo0pro,akkordeon(give unplugged impression)and vocals.
It would be helpful to hear from experts, what is absolutely necessary to play!
That means what standards are a absolutely must!
Any suggestion, proposal is rather much appreciated.
Thanks
Gerhard

#113379 - 03/25/02 07:54 AM Re: All-Time-Favorites
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Woah - that's a tough call. You have tapped into the age group that many of us entertain on a regular basis, though - so maybe you can draw from our experiences.
That crowd includes the parents and children that followed WWII. In the US we refer to the younger set as baby-boomers, and their folks as the swing generation.
Classic standards, Motown, early Rock & Roll, and big band tunes will all be appreciated. If you want to play favorites - include:
Sinatra, Diamond, Streisand, Miller, Dorsey, Ellington, Gerswin, Porter ...... that stuff. For a sample of some of my most frequent requests - check out my site. http://members.aol.com/unclemusic/
Have fun ! That's a good crowd. They grew up dancin' their socks off.

#113380 - 03/25/02 09:00 AM Re: All-Time-Favorites
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ahhhh Boat Jobs!!!

Tourists are a great crowd to play for because they are pre-conditioned to expecting a good time. Once loosened up they will let their hair down and are not shy about telling you what they want. And, the 50+ age group is the best. They (we) have an appreciation of a wide range of musical styles.

If its a dance atmosphere, Expect the Expected. On the uptempo side: everything from In the Mood, Gigalo, and Mack the Knife to Electric Slide, YMCA, Hot Hot Hot and some good old rock and roll from the 50s and 60s.

On the slower side: Unforgetable, Wind Beneath My Wings and cross-over country- Crazy, For The Good Times....

Oh... and since they are Americans, make them feel at home with some Geographical Favorites: Georgia On My Mind, Kansas City, NY NY, etc.

I suspect you will need some Latins to: Rhumbas, Cha Chas, Merengue, Bossa.

Sounds like a fun gig.

I am wondering one thing though....How did you get the job? If someone heard you somewhere, they must have thought that your music was entirely appropriate for the boat, in which case, you should just do what you do.

Eddie

[This message has been edited by Bsharp (edited 03-25-2002).]

#113381 - 03/25/02 01:00 PM Re: All-Time-Favorites
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Gerhard ..... the advice from Uncle Dave and B Sharp is right on.... and Uncle Dave's song list is worth a look ..... have a BALL, and be careful of all those WWILD WOMEN!!! ....
t.

#113382 - 03/25/02 01:11 PM Re: All-Time-Favorites
tony mads usa Offline

Uncle Dave .... looking at your photo, I could be your long lost big brother ..... same hair, beard color (but mine covers a little more of my face), general physical build ... a LOT of the same tunes on the song list .... one I noticed was missing is a GREAT ballad by Garth Brooks - 'If tomorrow never comes' .. became one of the most requested songs at the last steady gig I had .... in fact I was playing a private party a couple of weeks ago, and someone who had seen me at the prior gig requested the tune ..... you've mentioned playing senior citizen gigs .... what tunes do you do most on those type gigs .... I may be venturing into that venue, before I'm a resident!!
t.

#113383 - 03/25/02 01:23 PM Re: All-Time-Favorites
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Gerhard, is that a cruise on the beautiful Rhein?

#113384 - 03/25/02 01:44 PM Re: All-Time-Favorites
Uncle Dave Offline

Tony,
So, it's true - we all have a double, huh?
That Garth song you mentioned is pretty popular here too, but for some reason - it's just not me. I do better singing songs I can "sell" and I just don't like that one. It's in the chord structure, not the lyrics - so I avoid it, and substitute The Dance or To Make you feel my love. Garth fans are pretty easy to please.
The senior gigs are a booming business since the "seasoned" crowd refuses to check out early, these days. These places are loaded with careing, loving old souls that ADORE music and entertainers! Don't be afraid to give them a good variety too - they hate it when all they hear are 20's and 30's tunes.
The old standbys are ok (Heart of my heart, Let me call you sweetheart, etc..)but don't make it a "one course" meal of the same era of tunes. I always mix in broadway, and r&r and give them a few personal stories about the tunes and the times they represent.
When all is said and done - you have a captive audience, and they look forward to the show ALL DAY. They are gennerally easy to please .... but give them your best for an hour. It'll all come back to you in future bookings.

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 03-25-2002).]

#113385 - 03/26/02 09:14 AM Re: All-Time-Favorites
Anonymous
Unregistered

Every job here in Florida is some kind of a Senior Show.... We have the Entry Level Seniors (the Baby Boomers) who are in their 50's to early 60s and are considering retirement or have just retired. Their tastes in music run from the very late 40s to the 80s including some Disco.

The 65-80 crowd here requests Big Band, Rhumba, Cha Cha into some of the Classic Rock & Roll (Elvis, Fats, Ray Charles...etc)
And since some of the ladies have lost their spouses, line dancing is important... everything from Alley Cat and Chicken Dance to Electric Slide, Boot Scootin Boogie and YMCA.

The Retirement Homes fall into several categories, I find.
A. Upscale Assisted living
B. General Assisted living
C. Nursing Homes

In the A and B categories, all the residents are ambulatory...some dance. They are hip to some good, clean humor and seem to appreciate anything they can hum... including some early R&R. R&B however does not seem to go well here.

In the C category, the folks are not ambulatory and may be sedated, restrained or suffering from Alzeimers or some other debilitating condition. While the reactions are much more muted...some even sleep thru the entire performance... the appreciation of the music is shown on smiling faces and attempts to sing along. Most of the vocal appreciation comes from the staff that works so hard to help the residents. Forget doing "My Way".... keep it bright and cheerful.

While retirement home jobs are vastly different from the Country Club and Antler Circuit jobs, I do enjoy them and feel it is a very worthwhile endeavor.

Eddie

#113386 - 03/26/02 10:03 AM Re: All-Time-Favorites
Uncle Dave Offline

Listen to Eddie - he's right on the money !

#113387 - 03/26/02 10:28 AM Re: All-Time-Favorites
tony mads usa Offline

Eddie .... thanks much
t.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online