SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#158407 - 03/27/02 03:09 AM Advice needed on FX unit
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Hello my friends,
I have come to the conclusion that, whatever arranger you own, if you want to record a song which sounds really good you have to use a dedicated FX unit. I have always been a lover of that famous Lexicon sound, and so my choice is rather narrowed. The problem is that recently I have not kept in touch with that kind of market and so, when I browsed through the Lexicon site, I was a little puzzled. There are top-class units (PCM 81 and 91) that cost like a whole arranger and there are less expensive units (MPX 1, 100, 110 and 500) that cost less and include other effects too.
I am not particularly interested in multieffects, especially if, to keep the price low, they had to accept a compromise on reverb quality; all I want is a no-compromise reverb and maybe delay unit, without having to spend a fortune.
So, what is your personal experience and -thus- your advice?
Thanks in advance,
Andrea

#158408 - 03/27/02 07:03 AM Re: Advice needed on FX unit
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The ONLY choice (under $400) is the TC Electronics M-ONExl. I had the Lexicon PCM81 and 91 and for 2 grand(each), they were great. In a more budget minded setup - the Lexicon MPX500 is pretty good, but sounded more mettalic than the TC. Older M-ONE's are being blown out, but the XL model has more stuff, and a few more advantages.
There are a lot of adequate reverbs for $200, but the M-ONE gives the best impression of an expensive unit that I've ever seen. (or HEARD)
Forget about the lower end units, for a little extra, the TC will make you forget the expensive Lexicons of yesterday.

#158409 - 03/27/02 03:17 PM Re: Advice needed on FX unit
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Uncle Dave, I am not sure if that model is sold here in Europe. I have made a research on Synthplanet and they only have a TC Electronic Finalizer Express (compressor and limiter).
I will try again in the biggest stores here in Rome.
Thank you for your advice, right on the money as always.

#158410 - 03/27/02 09:57 PM Re: Advice needed on FX unit
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Wow - those units sold like crazy, here in the states. Make sure you spell the "one". There were two models introduced at the same time .... the M-ONE, and the D-TWO.
The D-TWO is a delay unit.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online