SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#212517 - 03/26/02 02:02 PM Ipanema girl...Do you know her?
diosif Offline

Loc: Greece
I'm sure everyone know the song "The girl from Ipanema". But does anyone know the story behind the song, if there is any? This girl had to be stunning!
And what about the chords? I've seen some variations, all with minor of major differences. Anyone knows the original chords? I know I could hear the cd and extract the chords, but this song is a pain in the a** . That's what I usually do, but this song...

#212518 - 03/26/02 02:21 PM Re: Ipanema girl...Do you know her?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
That's one I can do in my sleep ...... and sometimes, it's tough NOT to !
The original cut with Stan Getz is one of my favorite sax pieces, but it's a bore to sing (yawn). Pretty melody, though. Most guys I know play it in F, but I've seen it in fakebooks in G. Makes sense that it is in the lower key for Stan's tenor, but I'm really not sure. I never checked the original.
See if this link works: http://www.so.estec.esa.nl/~dkoschny/Thetbds/scores/The_Girl_from_Ipanema_-_Lyrics_and_chords.pdf

#212519 - 03/26/02 02:37 PM Re: Ipanema girl...Do you know her?
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Uncle Dave,
Works great it you have an Adobe Reader!
Just checked it out.
Nobby

------------------

#212520 - 03/26/02 02:52 PM Re: Ipanema girl...Do you know her?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
great!

#212521 - 03/26/02 04:34 PM Re: Ipanema girl...Do you know her?
notlos Offline

Loc: Belgium
"The girl from ipanema"
This song is one of the most recorded songs in the world of "Antonio Carlos Jobim" When i was 14 years i discovered this music and since that time i'm a BIG fan of Jobim's music. He wrote several songs that became "World-hits" in jazz/folk music thinking of the other songs like: "One note samba", "desafinado", "meditation", "insensatez", "waters of march",etc...
He introduced the "Bossa nova" in the world together with Joao Gilberto and Stan Getz.

The story of "the girl from ipanema":
After a concert Jobim and some friends go to a bar in Ipanema in company with Vinicius de Moreas(he was the author of the portugeus lyric of the girl..) When Jobim looks through the window and see a beautiful girl on the beach he was impressed and he wrote in this bar his fantastic composition that hi gives the name "the girl from ipanema" and Vinicius wrote there the lyric. They never think this composition at that time was making a historic "World hit". On this day many artist want to play this song on there records it's one of the most popular recording songs of jobim. I have met Jobim one time after a concert in Belgium and he was one of the most "great" artist that i have seem!!
He died in 9 december 1994 and was 68 year old. he wrote more of 600 songs most of them became great hits. Also my music is inspirated to the "bossa nova" and i wrote a tune "remember tom" (tom was his nickname in Brazil). Short before his dead he has made a album with Sting, that was his last album he made.
Greetings notlos. http://www.mp3.com/dirkbaert

------------------

[This message has been edited by notlos (edited 03-26-2002).]

#212522 - 03/26/02 10:15 PM Re: Ipanema girl...Do you know her?
diosif Offline

Loc: Greece
Thank you all! You guys are so quick in responding! I've seen email bots(you know, software for automatic email lists etc) responding slower than poeople in this forum!!!

#212523 - 03/26/02 10:50 PM Re: Ipanema girl...Do you know her?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
I really think that our musical world wouldn't be the same without Antonio Carlos Jobim and that's the greatest compliment that can be made to a musician.
The Girl from Ipanema is a beautiful song and usually is the first Bossa Nova you learn and the one you play when you want to impress your friends (or a girl). Too bad it has become so popular...too much popular I could add: the last time I played it in public an old lady said "Ah yes, I know that song: they always play it at my supermarket!"

#212524 - 03/27/02 05:54 PM Re: Ipanema girl...Do you know her?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I too LOVE performing Jobim's music.

Any of you heard of or perform any Ivan Lins tunes? He's the present day Brazilian composer-musician who's appears to be reaching the legendary status of Jobim.

Check his music out:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000IL6H/ref=pd_sim_music/104-0516701-0303157
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004Y6S3/ref=m_art_li_1/104-0516701-0303157

Scott

#212525 - 03/28/02 12:09 AM Re: Ipanema girl...Do you know her?
Sander Offline

Loc: Hoogeveen, Drenthe, The Nether...
Notlos,

You're 100% right, I heard about the story a while ago on TV. I have seen the bar etc. And while I type this, the song is playing in my head which could be very irritating after a while.

Sander

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online