SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#109193 - 07/16/03 03:21 PM Korg Pa1X Pro Information
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
My Korg Rep just left me with my first information regarding the Pa1X Pro. There were no pictures but rather a Feature and Benefit Sheet. The keyboard will be available in October and the Retail Price will be $4300.00 and the MAP will be $3499.00. As most of you know, the MAP price is the Minimum Advertized Price stores are allowed to list a product for on the internet or in Company mailers.
The keyboard has 76 Semi Weighted Keyboard and no speakers. "Korg has provided the best-weighted piano shaped keybed available-design and built in Europe". Velocity and Aftertouch sensing are included.
There will now be a Color TouchView Interface Screen with a Bright 320.240 display. When the PA80 was developed, Korg Italy used the Chip from the Triton but used the interface experience of most other Italian keyboard Companies. That's why the PA80 seemed so similar to the Generalmusic WK series interface. After all, the head engineer for the PA80 came from Generalmusic previous to his job at Korg. Now, with the Pa1X, the familiar Triton interface will surface in this new product. Included will be on-screen help menus.
Flexible Control Surface which is the color of the Triton, sleek and all metal chassis will include 8 multi-function assignable faders, joytick, four assignable switches, bright blue LED indicators and more.
The nw RX sound Technology has over 1000 sounds of which 780 are preloaded. The benefit sheet states "Delivers rich and natural acoustic sounds. Uses five oscillators per voice and multi-level sampling to include acoustic instrument "ornaments" -hammer-ons, bends, etc. I was told that although the engine is basically a Triton, enhancements were done to make the acoustic instruments even more realistic. My rep told me that he thought the Trombone was amazing as he started out as a Trombone player and that he had never heard such realism in a Trombone sample before.
TC-Helicon Vocal Effects plus Four Stereo Effect Processors. This recognized brand name means quality in the vocal effects section. TC-Helicon effects for the vocal input include 4 part harmony, reverb, compressor, EQ. Upgradable to include Pitch Correction and Vocal Modeling. According to my rep, the vocal modeling will be to actually change the harmony to include different human voice sounds. 4 Programmable stereo effect processors cover everything from reverb to rotary and much more.
Enhanced Style Functions. 608 style locations with 360 pre-loaded styles. Each style features 8 accompaniment parts (tracks). Style patterns may be up to 32 bars long. Now includes 3 intros, 3 fill ins, 4 variations, 2 endings, count-in, tap-tempo, reset and fade in/out.
STS single touch settings, four per song. This instantly assigns new sounds to the four realtime keyboard parts -3 upper and 1 lower.
320 performance settings. A single performance can recall the style and the 4 sts settings assigned to the style.
All new SongBook Feature. Creates a searchable data base of your songs and settings. Search for songs by title, composer or genre. Instantly recall the sounds, styles, effects, transpose and tempo settings to re-create any song.
Multi-Channel Backing Sequencer. Instantly lay down eight backing parts and up to four realtime tracks simultaneously.
Easy editing of Backing Sequencer. Inset or change chords, chord types, and bass notes. Also insert style and performance changes, add fills and breaks, even add tempo changes.
Unique XDS Dual Sequencer with independent transport controls. Load one sequencer from the disk while playing back the other sequencer. DJ style cross fader allows smooth and immediate transitions from song to song in real time. This feature is also on the PA80.
Jukebox Mode. Create a Jukebox file and the Pa1X Pro will play through all the songs in your set list.
16 Track Sequencer. Real time or Step Entry/Edit modes. Play and Edit SMF sequences created on other products.
16 bit, 48KHZ Sampling with time slice/time stetch. The Pa1X Pro can load AIFF, Wave, Triton or Akai sample and multi-sample data. I've been told it should come with 16MB and be expandable to 32MB using SIMMS.
Internal Hard Drive is included. I don't know how big yet!
SMF compatible with full lyrics and you can install an optionsl VIF3 for video lyric output.
Dedicated Vocal and Audio Inputs. Two 1/4" and 1 XLR with variable gain. Mic input allows you to access the TC Helicon Vocal Effects. Stereo audio inputs are available for sampling live.
4 Assignable audio outputs. In addition to the stereo outputs, two extra mono outputs allow flexible options both for recording and live performance.
Digital Connectivity. S/PDIF coasial digital output for direct connection to other digital geat. USB connection port to share files between a PC and internal hard drive.
Two things I don't know yet is the polyphony as to 64 voice or more and I don't know if you can still use the Flash cards in the Pa1X to access the arabic/turkish sounds and styles or Drum sounds. I did ask and was told that styles made for the PA80 will be compatible.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566

[This message has been edited by George Kaye (edited 07-16-2003).]
(Retired 2021)

#109194 - 07/16/03 03:31 PM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
Clif Anderson Offline

Impressive. It sounds like they went all out for vocal harmony--maybe allowing the VoiceCraft upgrade that transforms a VoicePrism into a VoicePrism Plus. I wonder what the onboard sample ROM figure is. The sample RAM seems too limited.

#109195 - 07/16/03 04:35 PM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
George, Thanks for the update.

#109196 - 07/16/03 05:48 PM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
Islander Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas, U.SA.
Thanks George for the info! The cost you metioned is for the 76 key model and not the 61 model right?

Thanks again!
Johnny

#109197 - 07/16/03 06:52 PM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
Dnj Offline

How much does it weigh?

#109198 - 07/16/03 09:26 PM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
There is no 61 key model that I am aware of, only 76. I do not know the weight. I will try to find out more asap.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#109199 - 07/16/03 09:56 PM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
George, thanks you for posting the feature list of the Pa1-XPro. I was hoping for the "Spec" list but it was very informative none the less. And I am sure there is bunches of other features besides the ones you listed. I guess we'll have to wait for NAMM to find out more about the Specs.

The price sounds reasonable for a 76 Key Workstation that is feature packed like the Pa1-XPro. I agree with Clif though in that the Sample RAM seems very limited in today's Keyboard market.

Of course I will be passing on the Pa1-XPro and wait for the Pa1-X, the (61 Key version with onboard speakers). I guess your Rep didn't give you any info on it. It is probably still in the Development stage and won't be available until maybe the summer of 2004 I would reckon.

Ugghh, I've got to wait probably another year yet before my 'Arranger' ship comes in. In the mean time maybe Yammie or one of the other Manufacturers will release something earth shattering and mind-boggling in the world of Arranger Keyboards. The Motif ES is sure looking better and better and even though it's not an Arranger it does have some Arranger type features. I will just keep my Y2K for now I suppose and use it for most of my Studio work (working on songs, doodlin', composing, etc.), and if I get the Mo' ES I will use it exclusively in my Band where I never use any Arranger type Accompaniment features any ways. Decisions, decisions.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by Idatrod (edited 07-16-2003).]

#109200 - 07/16/03 10:35 PM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
Islander Offline

I was hoping the PA1-X (61 keys) would be out before x-mas but next year? I just could not wait that long. I passed on the Tyros for this machine but if the 61 key model is due next summer, oh boy!! The $3499.00 for the 76 model? That's scary. I wish they do like Yamaha does, releasing both models at almost the same time. Example: PSR 1000/2000, 640/740... ETC.

Johnny

#109201 - 07/17/03 06:18 AM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
shakeel Ahmed Offline

Loc: gujranwala,punjab,Pakistan
Thank u George for the update.
I fear my next boared is gonna be Pa1x,cus
it is going to have sampler.I looove sampling
to create my own music.
George,what about the mp3 or audio?

#109202 - 07/17/03 06:42 AM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Islander:
The $3499.00 for the 76 model? That's scary.

John....What did you expect to pay for a new Top KB like this with all these features?

#109203 - 07/17/03 08:11 AM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Looking forward to all the info we can get on this baby. I've never been a fan of the "Triton sound" which always struck me as a bit thin-sounding, but I'm open to listening to any new pro-level arranger. We got one wish-come-true already here: SP/DIF output! I'm a bit fuzzy on the "semi-weighted, best-weighted" keyboard thing but I'm guessing semi-weighted is the deal. Not mentioned in George's info is the "MP3 option", which allows the PA1-X Pro to playback MP3 files as well as midi files or styles (per the Korg website: http://www.korgpa.com/products/pa1xpro.asp). So obviously there will be available Korg-branded add-on options for the PA1-X Pro to get more of our $$$.

I don't understand the aversion to 76-note keyboards here. Releasing the 76-note version of the PA1-X Pro struck me as the right way to compete with the 61-note Yamaha Tyros (especially since Yamaha has been stalling and hinting that there may never be a 76-note Tyros) and the 76-note Yamaha 9000 Pro which the PA1-X Pro is priced near, not to mention Roland's aging VA76. The PA1-X Pro also looks more like a true "pro-level" instrument with the digital outputs, XLR mic input, no internal speakers, etc. so if/when a 61-note version of the PA1-X comes out then it may leave out some of those pro-level features so it can be sold cheaper. We've been lamenting the need for an arranger with pro-level features and at the price point needed to support that many pro options a 76-note keyboard would be a natural choice... and a preferred one for me.

That polyphony had better be 128 or more!

#109204 - 07/17/03 08:46 AM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
Idatrod Offline

Your right Jim, I think the price point of the Pa1-XPro is very competitive for a full featured 76 Key Workstation Arranger. My ONLY hesitation is it has no onboard speakers which is almost a MUST have imo. I know that if they did add speakers we'd probably be looking at another 8 to 10 lbs. of additional weight; so if they did add speakers it would probably turn off many potential customers from buying it because of weight concerns. I might rethink my philosophy about the necessity of onboard speakers, (Donny made the switch, right? ) and possibly consider getting the Pa1-XPro instead of the Pa1-X. But you're right, it better have at LEAST 128 note Polyphony.

Best regards,
Mike

#109205 - 07/17/03 09:37 AM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
"We've been lamenting the need for an arranger with pro-level features and at the price point needed to support that many pro options a 76-note keyboard would be a natural choice... and a preferred one for me.

That polyphony had better be 128 or more!"

I agree,,, This Korg is sounding pretty good.
Denny

#109206 - 07/17/03 10:11 AM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
Dnj Offline

I did make the switch back and forth twice between onboard speakers and none a few times in the past years on many many KB's. So I really dont mind either way, its not that important to my playing. A good Kb is a good Kb the speakers are just another feature that you have to askyourself can I do without, or can I use a work around, monitors or how you situate the location of your mains like I do now etc etc? be flexable and you'll enjoy playing alot more.

#109207 - 07/17/03 07:13 PM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
C'mom Donny boy ...... it's not that simple. There are countless times when using extra amps would be an unnecessary burden. It's not just as simple as "carrying" a monitor ornot. It's about space, sound and looks. Sometimes, the onboard speakers are EXACTLY what is called for.
I realize that it's not everyone's bag, but it is no longer a cryteria for "pro level". Speakers are a neccesity....some prefer built in, and some can deal with the extra bulk that outboard provides. I use both. I NEED both. there are too many times that I use the kb alone ..... amps are not always an option.
I think it's time to lay the debate to rest about speakers or no-speakers. It's clear that there are plenty of preferences on both sides of the story. We can all get what we want...and we can all give advice as to WHY we made our choices....the important thing (as always) is user comfort. You have to be happy with your choice.

#109208 - 07/17/03 09:27 PM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
Dnj Offline

Well Said Dave.....

#109209 - 07/18/03 06:51 AM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
Put a few taster pics over on the svpworld forum, see
http://forum.svpworld.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=648&PN=1

Regards
Simon

------------------

forum.svpworld.com - No adverts, No spam, No nonsense!
share your music, get help and advice, make new friends! All platforms invited!!

#109210 - 07/20/03 06:46 AM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I was all set to really like the PA1-X Pro, then I had to read Korg's statement that it provides "a generous 62 notes of polphony". The piano expansion card ALONE is my 9000 Pro has 64 - who do they think they are kidding? A keyboard with dual sequencers and cross-fade capability between them is going to need an awful lot of polyphony (heck I use more than 62 notes of polphony without dual sequencers), and unless I missed something, the polyphony on the PA1-X is not expandable.

Well, it was fun while it lasted to think this may be the next big thing in arrangers but this is one keyboard that I'll look forward to toying with in the store and that's all. It should prove to be a worthy, albeit expensive, successor/upgrade to the PA-series but I'm already disappointed in it.

#109211 - 07/20/03 07:06 AM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
Clif Anderson Offline

Korg now has a description of the PA1xPro on their US website. I like the overall look, although I prefer a shorter form factor (like the SD1). I am happy about the 10 sliders, but longer-throw sliders would allow more precise control I, too, am surprised by the lack polyphony. The two sequencers provide can be synched for 40-part compositions--I think that calls for more than 62-voice polyphony.

I think the limit to expanding RAM from 16MB to 32MB is unfortunate. Since Korg is not paying for the extra RAM, why put such a low limit on it? (The new Motif ES is actually expandable to 1G RAM!)

Still, how many users actually use 62 voices at a time? And, I bet, most never use the sampler.

#109212 - 07/20/03 07:14 AM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
Uncle Dave Offline

62 voices are a snap to use up.
10 fingered chords,
layered sounds,
sustain pedal.......
you can bottom out on the second trigger of a big, fat chord if your foot is on the sustain. Forget about even turning on the arranger in this case !

In all fairness.... the polyphony on the PA80 is not too bad. If it is handled in the same way on this new piece....it might be ok, but it SHOULD have been improved at that price point.

#109213 - 07/20/03 10:16 AM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Clif,

I agree with Uncle Dave - 62 note polyphony is a show-stopper for me. The arranger tracks (8 polyphonic parts) can use up tons of polyphony alone. Add to that real-time parts with the sustain pedal on, and there goes another 20-30 simultaneous sounds. Add to that the fact that most better-sounding voices use more then one voice of polyphony (2 on my Roland, up to 8 on high-end Yamahas) and there goes all the polyphony.

I find that with my style of playing (big chords with two hands, once I really get into it, sustain pedal, arranger going), I ran out of polyphony on more than one occasion. This does not mean that everybody will be concerned about this as much as I am, but how many one-finger players are going to fork over >$3000 for a keyboard?

This is INEXCUSABLE SHORTCOMING for an instrument intended as a performance arranger keyboard.

I don't use the sequencer, so that is of little concern to me, though it would be to many others in this forum. The sampling RAM is also miniscule - granted, if the native instrument sounds are good, most people it this forum would probably not use sampling. Still, it appears that Korg is intentionally handicapping the arranger instrument, as if we deserve less than someone who wants to play sequenced tracks with Triton (this is what most big-act stage performers do).

I hope that someone at Korg is listening to us, as I believe people in this forum are a pretty representative sample of the PA1x target market, and either fix the misprint (if this is what it was), or change the design between now and November (or whenever this thing will ship). As much as the 76 keys appeal to me, I am inclined more than before to buy a Tyros, which has many of the same features, much lower price, and more polyphony.

Regards,
Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex K (edited 07-20-2003).]

#109214 - 07/20/03 10:20 AM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
trtjazz Offline

I never had a polyphony problem until I bought a Motif with 62 note poly. That was the first time I ran into dropping notes. As Dave pointed out, it's not hard to do layer some lush strings, piano drums bass and use some open voicing chords ....hit the sustain pedal and then say hmmmm, doesn't sound like everything is playing.

62/64 note polyphony is just not enough especially at the $3500.00 level, which BTW I think is a bit much (dependant on what it will sell for street price) considering many of the cool things are options. If you compare them out of the box, I think you get more for $1000.00 less (or at least $500.00, I think the Tyros MAPP was around $3k) out of a Tyros myself.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 07-20-2003).]

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 07-20-2003).]

#109215 - 07/20/03 11:27 AM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
Islander Offline

Any info on when the Pa1X (the 61 key note model) will be releasing? I hope that model will have about 128 note polyphony or more. I am not a pro thats uses complicated chords but I still am running out of polyphony on the psr9000 from time to time. So when I heard that the Korg Pa1X/Pro has 62 poly, to me...it was a joke to have that on the million dollar machine!! Okay.....$3500.00 machine. Will wait for the 61 key model. Hopefully it will be releasing next summer or so after the 76 model.

Just my peronal opinion

Johnny

#109216 - 07/20/03 01:37 PM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
Idatrod Offline

Islander, greetings! If you have a PSR 9000 then you have 126 note Polyphony already. So the Korg Pa-1XPro would definitely be a step down polyphony wise.

The PSR 9000 was noted for having poor Polyphony allocation and many people were complaining of note drop off on the PSR 9000, so I can see your need and interest for an Arranger that wouldn't have that problem. Unfortunately I don't think the yet to be Korg Pa-1X "61 Key" Arranger will have more than the 76 Key Flagship Pa-1XPro. Even Korg's new Triton Studio "non-Arranger" which has 126 note Polyphony does not allocate that polyphony across the Board. Half goes to the Piano Voices and the other half goes to the rest of the Voices. Disconcerting to say the least.

Best regards,
Mike

NOTE: Korg's allocation of the polyphony on the Pa-1XPro could be much better though, so even though it has only 62 note polyphony it may be allocated extremely well and even may have fewer dropouts (comparing apples to apples- "Voices/Layering/etc., when arranging a song on the PSR 9000 VS the Pa-1XPro) than you get with your 126 note polyphony PSR 9000. But that has yet to be determined.

Aloha!

[This message has been edited by Idatrod (edited 07-20-2003).]

#109217 - 07/20/03 01:46 PM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
Uncle Dave Offline

My PA80 handles dropouts much better than my old psr9000 did. I think Yamaha layers more voices from the factory. The raw Korg samples seem to stand up alone better, so you can add a layer and still have some room to play.
I'd love to see everyone add to this total (128 or more!)but in the meantime..... the Korg allocation is actually not terrible. It's just not moving ahead with the times either.

#109218 - 07/20/03 05:05 PM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
Islander Offline

Quote:
The PSR 9000 was noted for having poor Polyphony allocation and many people were complaining of note drop off on the PSR 9000, so I can see your need and interest for an Arranger that wouldn't have that problem. Best regards,
Mike

(edited 07-20-2003).][/B]

Thanks Mike for feeling me in on the 9000 poor "polyphony allocation". Lets hope the Pa1X Pro handles that problem much better even with the 62 note polyphony!

Again, thank you sir and aloha!
Johnny

#109219 - 07/28/03 10:19 AM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
MusiKMan Offline

Loc: California, USA
I played the TS at guitar center, and the arrangements or arpegios sounded rich and thick... I never noticed a single note drop off....

I really think it wont really matter if its only 62 notes. I think people are getting scared and turned off by the 62 notes, but these are people who perhaps havent owned a Korg in the past.
Ive owned Korgs, Trinity and I30...., the Trinity has only 32 notes, but ive heard songs, that litterally sound like it is playing more than 64 notes. I dont know what it is, but the sound is thick and lucious...
Now, the I30 has 64 notes, but it doesnt sound as thick as the trinity...

So what comes to mind, is that the new PAx will sound as beautiful and thick sounding as the TS.. For sure...
The only thing that bumms me out, is that it doenst have insert effects...Korg, this is supposed to be and arranger, composer workstation.
We need insert effects PLease...INSERT EFFECTS ON THE PAX PLEASE !!!

If the Pax is using the same sound chip as the TS please give us the two audio tracks as well....please do so...I dont mind the poliphony but for the price, please add these two options..

INSERT EFFECTS AND TWO AUDIO TRACKS... and we will live happily ever after....

best,

musikman

Musikman4Christ........

#109220 - 07/28/03 11:25 AM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
Alex K Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by MusiKMan:

...the Trinity has only 32 notes, but ive heard songs, that litterally sound like it is playing more than 64 notes. I dont know what it is, but the sound is thick and lucious...

I am not arguing that that is what it sounded like. However, you realize that it was no more than 32 notes.

The only reason you are not concerned about the polyphony is if the note drop-outs have not happened to you. I will agree that not everyone will be upset by it - some people only play bass and drums and for the most part do not use auto accompaniments. Others play not very complex arrangements.

However, it happened to me a number of times on a 64-note poly instrument (which handles polyphony "well"), and I believe that going to a lower-polyphony instrument would make this problem worse. I would keep quiet about it if Korg had said "We realize this is a problem, but in order to have the instrument not delayed by another x months we had to re-use the existing antiquated components (e.g. Triton engine). We will correct it in two years". Istead they are saying to me "You don't need any more polyphony. Plenty of known musicians use Triton, therefore it is not a problem for you". I find this attitude insulting - they don't know what does or does not work for me. I see this as a company that is being lazy and backward, trying to milk their 5 year old technology, when in today's software-based instruments all they needed to do was to replace a processor with a newer model, which is likely not twice by twenty times as fast, and increase the limits on some software counters.

Also, what about 32 MB limit for a sample RAM? WHO limits sample ram to 32 MB in 2003???? My 3 year old PDA has more RAM than that.

I think that KORG is aiming this instrument at the studio musicians, who have no problems using racks full of additional tone generators (and various effects). However, this makes this instrument unsuitable for people who play single acts, need to be able to quickly get in, set up, and break down, and are concerned about poratbility and compactness,. I believe this is a marketing mistake on Korg's part.

Regards

#109221 - 07/28/03 03:54 PM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
Arbaz Offline

Hi there do not mean to be sarcastic and I am writing this in good sort of way I have notice that some people are constantly arguing about 62 note polyphony and how it is not enough, I really like to know what workstation they have been using up till now since, all the major brands like Motif from Yamaha, Fantom from Roland, Triton from Korg have been using 62-64 note polyphony? So how do other professionals like we have some here on the forum cope with this 64 polyphony? I am sure not all use Tyros or 9000 or Do they use software synths, samplers like Giga or some of that sort? I really would like to know cause this seems to be one of the biggest issue around here for me PA1-X lacks in insert effects just like PA-80 it could have been like triton and the second issue is price even Tyros is overpriced (it is just my opinion).

#109222 - 07/28/03 04:24 PM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
Alex K Offline

Arbaz,

I am using a Roland G1000, which has 64 voice polyphony, and it is NOT ENOUGH.

Tyros, as well as the previous generation of Yamahas has 128-note polyphony. You may argue that their allocation is worse than Korg's or Roland's or GEM's, but at least they recognized that the previous limit of 64 voices was insufficient for an arranger keyboard. Ditto for Technics.

IMHO, good selection of insertion effects is nice, but should not be necessary on the arranger keyboard, where the primary thrust is on trying to accurately reproduce the acoustic and existing electronic sounds, and those, when sampled well, should sound good when you first turn the instrument on, without the need for additional effects. Perhaps, a synthesizer board with the leading-edge sound synthesis technology should be offered as an add-in board, for those into making new sounds and using them in their performances. But I (and I'd guess, many others in this forum) want to turn my keyboard on and start playing, instead of fiddling with the sounds.

Regards

#109223 - 07/28/03 07:54 PM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
MusiKMan Offline

Alex,
Perhaps this is where exactly the problem lies. You see, I mostly compose music. I need as much flexibility as possible on a keyboard, but without using a PC. Also, since im not a prgrammer, Its hard for me to program the backing tracks for a song on a workstation like the TS alone.. Thats why I looked for the PAX. You see, I own the Trinity and I30. For me, the Trinity filled the gap that the i30 had in sounds wise. But I had to buy two workstations. The Trinity has awsome Insert effects to apply to the midi traks, but my i30 doesnt. So you see where we are coming from? In other words, we are putting all this cash, and getting pretty much the same guts but with a sort of different box. Of course to some extent..But really, why wouldnt insert effects be needed, well, if youre only using the PAx for onstage etc, and not composing than youre 100 percent correct. But isnt it also an arranger, composer tool?
I think you hit bull's eye on that one.
The problem is, is this machine geared more for the onstagge performer, or for the composer, or a bit of both...
I really wish it did both things better..
I saw the specs on the Genesis pro, and that looks to be catering for both, the onstage performer, and the studio composer...

Hmmmm, maybe Korg missed the boat on this one..

best,

MusiKman

Musikman4Christ........

#109224 - 07/28/03 09:04 PM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
Alex K Offline

Musikman,

I completely agree with you, that the needs of a person who is composing music in the studio (or even in his bedroom) are quite different than of the one performing live. I think that most often trying to satisfy both ends up satisfying neither.

Out of curiosity, though, why do you want to do it in the keyboard, rather than get a PC? Yesterday we went with my wife computer shopping (she is looking for a light notebook), and we saw the Toshiba 3500 Tablet PC. Not only the thing is cute as a button, but it is light at under 4.5 lbs, and you can navigate your way around the applications with a pen. I don't know if any musical recording programs take advantage of the WinXP Tablet edition, which would allow you to move the notes by dragging them with a pen, but this computer also has a regular keyboard, and a track pad, along with a couple of USB ports. If I was a composer, I'd get this computer with the USB MIDI interface (or just use the USB cable to connect to the USB-equipped keyboard, such as PSR2100, or the new Technics, or Tyros, or whatever). By the specs of it, this is a very capable computer, with a large hard drive, half a gig of memory, and a fairly fast CPU. And it costs less than half of PA1pro MSRP.

If I was a composer and had a keyboard available, I'd buy this thing over another keyboard - this would be the most flexible solution with the fewest compromises.

Then, of course, I don't know what gets your creative juices going. But I am positive that Korg could have done a better job designing this keyboard.

Regards,
Alex

P.S. I am not a computer salesman, nor do I work for Toshiba, but I was very impressed by the functionality of their Tablet PC.

#109225 - 07/29/03 11:17 AM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
MusiKMan Offline

Alex, thanks man, that tip was awsosome !!

You see, im not a very good at programming my drum tracks, nor the bass track..Everything else, im really good at.
I know how to play the drums and the bass, but I just cant seem to make that happen on the keyboard or computer.
Thats where the arranger keyboard comes in for me..
If I used a PC, I dont have the arranger option. So thats why I cant jump into the pc thing.
Also, I have always dreamed of the all in one workstation. Ever since Korg introduced the Trinity, day and night I dreamed of that keyboard.. I loved the idea of having the built in digital studio, sounds, sequencer and all. It was really a dream come true.
I bought the V3 with all the options onboard..
But then, I realized I wasnt a good programmer.
So I bought the Korg I30 to help me make the backing sequences. But then, I realized that the songs that I made on the I30 werent compatible with the Trinitys seq, so I was blown away....

Either way, I ended up buying the Roland VS1680 16 track recorder, which is the main studio recorder now.
I use my Trinity to add strings and awsome sounds, but my main composer tool is my Korg I30.

I really wished that Korg would have an all in one unit.. I wish it was just like the trinity.
Now, the PAX, sounds cool and all, but It doenst still have the built in studio features. No insert effects, so really im back to square one.
I kind of made up my mind to keep my gear for now, and just wait for technology to move foward....
Till now, my Trinity still sounds and blows me away with inspiration everytime I play it.
The bad thing is that my I30 is showing its age in the sounds dept. But drums and base still kick butt.

I just hate having too many keyboards...I think the PAX does a good job in combining the I30 and Trinity into one package, but still the Built in studio and insert effects will be missing. So the Workstation Idea that Korg Pioneered has died out a bit.
I know the TS has audio recording etc, but it is no where near what a studio can offer. It only has two audio traks and thats it..Pretty limited.

Thats why I was looking at the Genesis pro, but Im just going to have to wait some more....

Thanks anyway for the tips and all...

best,
MusiKman

Musikman4Christ........

#109226 - 07/29/03 11:42 AM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
Alex K Offline

Musikman,

I can relate to you looking for the all-in-one solution. I play live, and having an all-in-one keyboard would help me minimize the time needed to set up, plug in, do the sound check, and break down afterwards. Since each piece of equipment is transported separately (unless I were to use UncleDave's suggestion for a hanging rack bag, which does not work for me, as I play sitting down) every module needs a bag or a case, meaning more time packing and unpacking, putting the cases away before the performance and then worrying that some hotel staff have not mistaken it for a Gucci purse and walked away with it. Not to mention the fact, that in an all-in-one instrument components can be more logically controlled (though most of the time the are not), which could be another big advantage for a live performer.

As far as using a PC, I was using my arranger keyboard with a sequencer. The arranger outputs the accompaniment tracks, which can be edited as a midi file. Alternatively, there are several auto accompaniment programs which run on a PC, and some even take stock Yamaha styles. Search for posts from Frank Rosenthal in this forum, he has really done a lot of work in this area.

This way you may be able to avoid having to do things you are not comfortable doing.

Regards,
Alex

#109227 - 07/29/03 02:21 PM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Alex K, thanks for your acknowledgement of my efforts on a PC/software based arranger keyboard solution.

Just as an update, I have now fully converted to a software based solution. I use one of two approaches:

1) If I am just going to play instrumentally, I launch Cakewalk P5 with LiveSynth (Auto Accompaniment Instruments) and Kontakt (Melody/Lead Instruments). I then launch Live - Styler (Yamaha Styles) and I am ready to play.

2) If I plan to sing (have pity on my soul), I launch Cubase SX with Kontakt & DecaBuddy (vocalizer) and then P5 with LiveSynth rewired to Cubase SX. Finally, as before, I launch Live - Styler and I am ready to play & sing!!!

The above system has proven to be stable and now use my Audigy sound card only for midi In/Out and Mic In. I sold my M-Audio AudioPhile sound card and replaced it with the Steinberg VSL 2020 sound card. I am currently operating at roughly 3ms latency with no pops or crackles. The computer is overall only moderately tasked at 40 to 60% performance.

I would say for Home & Studio this is a viable alternative to hardware based solutions. You can make this system sound better than any hardware based solution on the market to day or tomorrow. You can make this system suitable for live performances using things like Laptops or Shuttle computers, etc. If you use lower quality voices like you find in today's top of the line workstations or arranger keyboards the loading times for 8 instruments into Kontakt would be less than 10 seconds. If you used Soundfonts and LiveSynth Pro for everything then loading times (changing registrations) would be close to instant.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online