SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#162098 - 07/23/03 07:28 AM Question for DanO on the pa1x
tom moon Offline

Loc: Haddonfield, NJ, USA
in a previous post from namm you said the new korg is much like the PA80. I'm curious about the interface -- is that unchanged as well? one problem with that board was its (for me, anyway) not-quite-intuitive navigation....
thanks for any insights....

#162099 - 07/23/03 10:59 PM Re: Question for DanO on the pa1x
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Tom Moon,
I received the new Korg Preview today along with my sales rep from korg and absolutely the interface has been changed both by the touchscreen and by the buttons and slidders for volume control. I haven't seen one myself in person, but from my talks with my rep and all the pictures I can see, this should be a much easier keyboard to use.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#162100 - 07/24/03 04:55 AM Re: Question for DanO on the pa1x
trtjazz Offline

George,
No disrespect meant but I think, tom is talking more about finding one's way inside the board (which I thought the PA not very intuitive either) rather than surface control. While the touchscreen may mean less button pushing, it doesn't necessarily follow that it's any easier to find one's way around to do things.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#162101 - 07/24/03 05:50 AM Re: Question for DanO on the pa1x
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by tom moon:
in a previous post from namm you said the new korg is much like the PA80. I'm curious about the interface -- is that unchanged as well? one problem with that board was its (for me, anyway) not-quite-intuitive navigation....
thanks for any insights....

1st of all , I wasn't blown away by the new Korg .I liked the action ( black keys have a matted finish and key size is normal), but this keyboard is a stretched out PA80 with a touch screen and I30 sliders .

I think the screen is more intuitive and very fast ( like Triton ) and this is better than the PA80 .

I did not get a chance to play it much , the Korg guy was affraid I might lock it up .

Dano

[This message has been edited by DanO1 (edited 07-24-2003).]

#162102 - 07/24/03 06:36 AM Re: Question for DanO on the pa1x
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Interesting Dan0 that you say the Key size is "normal". I was wondering the same thing after I saw the photo of the Pa1X on Korgs site. They look like they've gone back to a smaller Key size than the PA80 has. It looks to me that they're the same size as Yammies Keys, eg., PSR, Tyros, etc. I guess they they didn't want to stretch that Limo too much for fear of making it look to bulky or disproportionate or 'whatever' You never know what's in the minds of those production engineers. Obviously a lot of empty space besides whatever other foreign matter. Ha Ha, Foreign matter.. get it? What we need is a good ol' USA Maker of Arranger Keyboards. Someone that will be recognized as the Harley Davidson of Arranger Keyboard production. So we don't have to be at the whim and wishes of out of Country manufacturer's shananagans. With American ingenuity I am sure it could be done but over time the Japanese would probably 'copy' it. And if they do copy it they probably will end up making a better mousetrap like they're doing with their automobiles. You gotta hand it to them they're sure good at improving other people's inventions and technology. Now if they could just come up with some innovations of their own.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by Idatrod (edited 07-24-2003).]

#162103 - 07/24/03 07:08 AM Re: Question for DanO on the pa1x
DanO1 Offline

I think the keys are a little longer than the PA80 .

#162104 - 07/24/03 07:36 AM Re: Question for DanO on the pa1x
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Dan0, are you talking length which a normal Key would be about 5 1/2" 'long'. or "width"? I was talking "width". The PA80's keys are 'wider' than Yamaha's Keys are, ie. approx. 2 millimeters wider. From looking a the Pa1X's pics it looks like they reverted back to a smaller Key 'width' size for the Pa1X/Pro.

Best regards,
Mike

#162105 - 07/24/03 10:17 AM Re: Question for DanO on the pa1x
DanO1 Offline

I did take some close up pictures of the panel , can you tell me how to post it ?

My camera is usb'd to my computer right now .

#162106 - 07/24/03 10:29 AM Re: Question for DanO on the pa1x
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Looks like some here will find out about the ease of sequencing and many other options with the touch screen eventually. If it is anywhere near the i30's touch screen many may discover what they've been missing.

If it played the BSQ's from my i30, I'd think about getting one myself.

#162107 - 07/24/03 06:19 PM Re: Question for DanO on the pa1x
tom moon Offline

Loc: Haddonfield, NJ, USA
Terry's right -- I was looking for info on the whole "getting around" the keyboard question. that's a huge problem w/ PA80 -- I know I'm slow, but still nothing is easy for me to find on the board. in a GC a few wks back I tried to layer a few sounds on the PA80 as I would on my 9kpro (R1, R2, etc.) and had trouble. hope the basic organization/layout of the pa1x has improved....but I'm not so naive to think it'll be perfect.
thanks for the insights, all, btw...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online