SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 9 of 26 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 25 26 >
Topic Options
#107637 - 08/23/06 08:06 AM Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
hi DNJ,
re the Genesys Pro S:
biggest problem for me is the weight: 41.8 lbs.
I fooled with a Gem sk76, got it on ebay cheap and liked
a lot about it except it was 49 lbs and it nearly crippled
me on a gig, and I realized I like synth action, not semi-w.
Gem dealer gave me a generous trade-in, and Pro S had so many more updated sounds, styles, and could record and burn Cd's onboard, so I convinced myself I could handle 41.8 lbs. First gig I got by, 2nd gig required more lifting and I had a sore back for 3 days afterward. I also found I needed to do a lot of tweaking to get sounds the
way i liked them, and Dave McMahan at Gem was terrific
in giving me phone tutoring, so I learned that. But with
my new "chops", I went back and applied the tweaking
lessons to my old Korg is35, and I got those sounds so
much better, I realized the only reason I wanted to get
a better unit, aside from the cd burner, was that I was
not that happy with my old sounds. The Korg is 28.5 lbs.
The T2 is 36 lbs, which at least is 5.8 lbs lighter than the
Pro S. It will be tough to sell my expensive unit, so if i can
get a T2 in trade(or a lighter-yet psr30k but that will require more cash from trader) at least it is lighter and will also have special new sounds which I can't now achieve, and styles that are better programmed. anyone interested can email me or call me 8:30am-8:30p.m est at:
860 435-2242
Miami Mo (in ct thru october)

#107638 - 08/23/06 08:14 AM Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
T42, The electronics market follows a pattern, not just electronics but acoustic instruments too..40 years ago, USA was the world best in electronics [development and quality]..China , Japan, and Korea were looked down upon..Quality was not great and in most cases poor..
In the Musical instruments field, electronics wise, mid 70's the Japanese started to overtake the USA in development, quality and cost...As we are here today..Japan rules this Market..

Guitars , same thing, the USA still makes the best guitars, but for the money, Japan is superior..

In the mid 80's the guitar market after USA and Japan..the quality was not there in Korean and China products...

Currently the Korean market has made great strides in quality instruments[maybe where Japan was 25 years ago]..China is not in the same quality production right now..they are pretty much a low cost market, sacrificing quality...

You will see China develop as Japan did first, and Korea later...

You can also see this product development and quality growth with products from Italy and Mexico..

Once the major manufacturers get past making cheap products for the sake of being cheap, and incorporate quality[with a higher price] you can see the reputation change..

Big companies have always produced instruments in these lower pay scale countries, for lower first instrument products, but they all have one thing in common...poor quality..

There are some exceptions, when a Fender, Mackie etc company set minimum standards that assure some products are made with better quality...

So basically what I am saying Japan is right there with the USA now, Korean is a few steps behind and China will be coming up quickly...

Just be smart consumers and don't just shop price...look at the negatives too when you shop..

That is the end of International marketing 101..

#107639 - 08/23/06 08:28 AM Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
need to followup my last post re Genesys:
DNJ, I realize i never answered what was "awesome".
OK: here goes:
1) it does everything but iron your shirts onboard.
no need for computer, cd burner, etc. imports every format.
2)easy to operate live--sliders, controls well laid out. no
touchscreen, which i hate..nice button layout instead.
3)really well built, solid.
4)Dave at Gem will spend mucho time on phone/email with you if you need it--astonishing, the personal service.
5)IMHO:ABSOLUTELY BEST LOOKING BOARD OUT THERE..SLEEK, ELEGANT, MAKES EVERY OTHER UNIT LOOK LIKE JUNK. PHOTOS CAN'T DO IT JUSTICE..PEOPLE ACTUALLY WALK UP TO ADMIRE THE UNIT AND COMMENT

that said, it's still not best Kb for me, but at this point
I'm not sure what would be, am rethinking it all...

#107640 - 08/23/06 09:23 AM Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ?
T42 Offline

Loc: UK
Thankyou for the information Fran.
I had no idea who ruled the electronics world 40 years ago as I wasn't born, but reading your post I can see you're speaking from age and experience, so thanks for sharing your knowledge.

#107641 - 08/23/06 09:48 AM Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig_UK:
Well guys I agree with Donny at long last.
I don't need my T2 anymore so I've sold it and I now go out gigging everynight with my stylophone. I've had it 30 years so even far sturdier than a G1000
I get 399 gigs a year now (that's 1 less then Donny), I can also do a blinding solo with the paper and comb (great squeak effects), the penny whistle also makes an appearance and I've joined the SMF users club (ahhhhhhhhh). My audience thinks I'm amazing (they're too old to realise the disk is doing all the work and not me)...
Well guys I'm out of here, too many gigs to cope with and no time to post these days, it's great being in demand. You can catch me on my national tour soon VIVA LAS VEGAS!
I'll give Denmark a miss but my CD is already doing well there.
This site has been great for a laugh but I'm off to pastures new, tatty byeeeeeeeeee

hey Craig....
dont let the door hit ya in your Arse !

tatty byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

#107642 - 08/23/06 09:57 AM Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:
need to followup my last post re Genesys:
DNJ, I realize i never answered what was "awesome".
OK: here goes:
1) it does everything but iron your shirts onboard.
no need for computer, cd burner, etc. imports every format.
2)easy to operate live--sliders, controls well laid out. no
touchscreen, which i hate..nice button layout instead.
3)really well built, solid.
4)Dave at Gem will spend mucho time on phone/email with you if you need it--astonishing, the personal service.
5)IMHO:ABSOLUTELY BEST LOOKING BOARD OUT THERE..SLEEK, ELEGANT, MAKES EVERY OTHER UNIT LOOK LIKE JUNK. PHOTOS CAN'T DO IT JUSTICE..PEOPLE ACTUALLY WALK UP TO ADMIRE THE UNIT AND COMMENT

that said, it's still not best Kb for me, but at this point
I'm not sure what would be, am rethinking it all...

Mo thanx for the reply.....the weight issue on some of these boards baffles me by the manufacturers especially for live gigging, the G70 weighs a ton too ouch! ya have to take a weigh & balance attitude with these Kb's regarding what YOU need features......what you can live with, & what makes you happy.......I wish you good luck in your journey to happiness!

#107643 - 08/23/06 10:07 AM Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ?
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
T2= Tyros 2= Terminator 2 Judgement Day.

#107644 - 08/23/06 10:09 AM Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ?
tyrosman Offline

Loc: scotland
TYROS 2 WILL WIN THEN

#107645 - 08/23/06 10:35 AM Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tyrosman:
TYROS 2 WILL WIN THEN

Sheeeeeeesh its gonna be a sad day when T3 comes out what will all the T2 people do, jump off buildings?

#107646 - 08/23/06 10:46 AM Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Sheeeeeeesh its gonna be a sad day when T3 comes out what will all the T2 people do, jump off buildings?

Let's hope so......and drag all the Roland devotees with them .

chas

Page 9 of 26 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 25 26 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online