SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#105514 - 01/13/06 07:43 AM An observation re: reponses to Fran Carango's post
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I read the list of lists from the responders to Fran’s ‘toys’ question and said to myself, “what the fxxx do these guys do with all this equipment?” From the perspective of one who spent 35 years in the mental health business, these behaviors seem to border on a pathological compulsiveness. As I went through the day, I started to mentally list all the equipment I have had over just the past several years and discovered that I’m one of them! My list was just as long and I was obsessing about procuring more stuff. For example, as soon as I saw the photo of the Yamaha UF7, I was drooling to get that and hook it up to the Midjay to lighten my carrying load …
This all reminded me of the stories of the great lover, Don Juan. In one of the stories - the one depicted in Richard Strauss’ tone poem “Don Juan”, the lover “suffers” through many romantic liaisons in search of the perfect woman, ultimately destroying himself when he discovers that she doesn’t exist. No chance of anyone snuffing him/herself over equipment, but here we are - continually searching for that perfect combination of boards, sound systems, software, hardware, gadgets, toys etc, etc. We are a bunch of sick puppies … and lovin’ it.
So, Donnie, what do think about that combination UF7 and Midjay? Sure would lighten the load … I was thinking of having Bennie Cintioli install the Master Sound bass mechanism in the keyboard then I would never need another piece of equipment - ever – ah …, except if Korg would offer the PA1X as a module … or if Yamaha ...................

Ciao,
Jerry

#105515 - 01/13/06 07:56 AM Re: An observation re: reponses to Fran Carango's post
Dnj Offline

All this equipment listing is par for the course for a pro player...no big deal, the list will go on & on....forever.....gear is an essential part of the business, it makes you Money, buy it, change it, dump it, you buy what ever works for you nuff said! UF7 & MJ? I thought about it but I dont like the fact that the UFC is metal and has a bad navagational button layout for MY needs to access sounds, but looks goood for a studio enviroment....in that respect I love the Roland A37.....very easy layout for live play & super lightweight, 76 semi weighted,Keys great feel too......as for the MJ?..
I love it period!!
If you have any specific questions give me a shout!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-13-2006).]

#105516 - 01/13/06 10:14 AM Re: An observation re: reponses to Fran Carango's post
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally posted by JerryT
Quote:
From the perspective of one who spent 35 years in the mental health business, these behaviors seem to border on a pathological compulsiveness. As I went through the day, I started to mentally list all the equipment I have had over just the past several years and discovered that I’m one of them! My list was just as long and I was obsessing about procuring more stuff.

Sounds like a topic for discussion at another type forum not related to music. Can you say 12 step program?

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 01-13-2006).]

#105517 - 01/13/06 11:06 AM Re: An observation re: reponses to Fran Carango's post
zuki Offline

An non-musical 'outsider' considers us crazy, amongst ourselves, we are normal - "their problem", I'd say

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#105518 - 01/13/06 12:18 PM Re: An observation re: reponses to Fran Carango's post
Anonymous
Unregistered

Welcome to the club!

Hey have you heard about the new......

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Nat'l Product and Support Manager
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

#105519 - 01/13/06 12:45 PM Re: An observation re: reponses to Fran Carango's post
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Whoa,
I offered the post as tongue-in-cheek. I may be a "non-musical 'outsider'", but I've been out gigging for about 50 years. The psych job was for the bene's. I understand though, we tend to get a little defensive when we have to justify the need for all that "stuff". Like when my wife says, "you"re buying another what!? What about this stuff and all the stuff over there ...?!
12 steps? Don't tell me there's a another country line dance.
Donny, I hope to get to Cintioli's when AJ does his presentation to take a hard look at the MJ. I'd love to take a trip to NJ to catch your job, but I have a regular Thursday gig.
Ciao,
Jerry

#105520 - 01/13/06 01:23 PM Re: An observation re: reponses to Fran Carango's post
zuki Offline

Jerry - Wasn't referring to you as an 'outsider', on the contrary, I consider you one of us
zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online