Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#104806 - 05/22/06 03:17 PM Re: Using Logitech speakers
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by RobertG:
I too have been underwhelmed by the MS-100.

Robert: I replaced the KP100S's 'stock woofers' with better 'eminence brand' ones from "Orange County Speaker", of which deliver significantly improved bass response. See related thread .

Quote:
[B
I and was wondering how the Motion Sound 100 would work as a supplement to a T2 with the TRS-MS02 and the Bose 161's.[/B]

Yep, the Motion Sound KP100S works well when you need more sound coverage than the the TRS-MS02 w/ Bose 161 system alone can provide, and good combo speaker choice for those 'larger than small' but 'smaller than large' MID SIZE rooms, which don't require hauling out the 'big guns'.

Scott

#104807 - 05/22/06 04:03 PM Re: Using Logitech speakers
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Accordionist:

Quick Question:

How are you guys connecting the Logitechs to your keyboards? Via the headphone input? I've heard this is not optimal.

I believe the Logitechs have a 1/8" stereo cable. Are you splitting it with a single female 1/8" to dual 1/4" to connect to your keyboard L/R output jacks?

Thanks.

Tommy
[/QUOTE

Tommy:
I think most of the Z5500 guys uses a splitter and plugs into both jacks. ie

female 1/8" mini stereo to 2 male 1/4" phono
plugged to both L and L/R on the back.

Mine are set up this way, and I think its better than going to a stereo 1/4" into the L/R side......

pose

#104808 - 05/22/06 07:41 PM Re: Using Logitech speakers
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Robert: I replaced the KP100S's 'stock woofers' with better 'eminence brand' ones from "Orange County Speaker", of which deliver significantly improved bass response. See related thread.

Scott: Do you know which Eminence speaker you used?

#104809 - 05/27/06 01:32 PM Re: Using Logitech speakers
MrEd Offline

Yesterday, I became another satisfied Z-5500 owner ... and to those owners that are not satisfied but still have your 5500's, double-check your red/black speaker wire connections. I found out that creates some problem in the sound.

My Keyboard (3000) was on the main floor in my bedroom so I set the 5500's up right there.
I was immediately impressed and at that point I knew that I got my money's worth, but then I started to put the system thru some tough testing, just to determine where the limitations would be.
I became concerned when playing some piano registrations that I had set up. I heard some crackling in the piano tone if I was playing a piano setup with heavy chorus-or-tremolo and reverb. The slight distortions came under high vol and with chords of 3 or more fingers. Less was OK. I thought that I would have to go thru all the different customized piano settings and reset their characteristics.
Then later in the evening (nobody else was home), I was going to move the system to the basement where I had more room to spread out and increase the volume levels even more. As I was removing the speakers wires, I happen to notice on the 1 that I was disconnecting at the time, that the red and the black had been reversed.

During my system setup in the basement, I paid better attention when connecting the speaker wires.
I started playing and was amazed that I could not duplicate the dissatisfaction in the piano sounds. I had the volume up to the point that my ears just could not handle any more volume but everything out of the keyboard came out beautifully.
My wife was just coming into the house at that point and told me that she heard me all the way out at the garage. Thats 60 to 70 feet away, and the doors and windows of this brick house were all closed AND the speakers were NOT pointed at that east wall, but were pointed exactly 90 degrees to the north wall.

I'm using a Y-cable with 3 stereo 1/4" male jacks (otherwise they would be jills ).
The 2 jacks at one end of the cable are plugged directly into the L+R outputs on the back of the keyboard. The 1 jack at other end of the cable gets plugged into a stereo 1/4-to-1/8 reducer, and that 1/8 jack is plugged into the side of the 5500's controller box, right below the headset jack.

I played for about 4 hours straight and the amp does not feel hot at all. For me, these 5500's are very impressive. I just hope they will hold up over time.
PSR3000 + Z5500 + + = MrEd

I have 30 days to return the 5500s if I am not satisfied. The only way they are going back is if they break down.

If you've been thinking about getting Z-5500s, I recommend to give them a try, but be sure your supplier gives you a trial period ... As noted in prior posts on this subject, they are not for everyone, just 90+ % of us.

[This message has been edited by MrEd (edited 05-27-2006).]

#104810 - 05/27/06 02:47 PM Re: Using Logitech speakers
MrEd Offline

Has anyone tried the Z-2300? A 200 watt 2.1 system ....

Robert, as I just posted above, I just got my 5500s and am very pleased with them.

In regards to your interest in the 2.1 2300s, I have not looked into the 2300s so other than power and price, I don't know what other differences there are, but I wanted to point out that the 5500s can also be used as 2.1, 4.1, and 5.1.

When I switch to "Stereo Effect", only 2 speakers and subwoofer are live, "Stereo x 2 Effect" comes thru all but the center speaker, and then there's "PLII Music Effect" for the 5.1.
On the 5500s, I'm thinking of getting those banana plugs for simplifying setup/teardown on the speaker wire connections.

Forgot to mention that -AFTER- playing in the 5.1 mode, the stereo mode really lacked big time, and 'stereo x 2' mode was ok but noticeably lacking over the 5.1 which adds that center channel's speaker.

Man, I may have spoiled myself with 5-channel sound and may never be able to turn back!

[This message has been edited by MrEd (edited 05-27-2006).]

#104811 - 05/27/06 03:27 PM Re: Using Logitech speakers
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
MrEd: Sounds like you got some big sounds coming out of the Logitechs. When you go in the 5.1 mode, which you stated you prefered to the stereo mode, how does it distribute the sound between the front and rear speakers, and what comes out of the center channel?

#104812 - 05/27/06 04:26 PM Re: Using Logitech speakers
MrEd Offline

Quote:
MrEd: Sounds like you got some big sounds coming out of the Logitechs. When you go in the 5.1 mode, which you stated you prefered to the stereo mode, how does it distribute the sound between the front and rear speakers, and what comes out of the center channel?

Trying to listen to each speaker individually, you can hear to some extent that that pretty much everything (lead, accompaniment, rhythms, drums) can be heard from each speaker. The bass seems to be a bit stronger out of the center. than the other 4 satellites.

By the way, in regards to what speaker replacements Scott Yee and BeakyBird used in the KP100, I think the link that Scott inserted above may say, but Motion-Sound company recommends the Emminence 8 beta as an upgrade over the factory delivered Emminence 8 Alpha. I thought somewhere a while back, Scott or someone mentioned the 8" Beta but I'm not sure who it was or where it was stated.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online