SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#104786 - 05/21/06 11:42 AM Re: Using Logitech speakers
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I agree that with this or any other musical product that being able to test them out to see if you like them is the way to go.

I have a Logitech z5500 and don't like the sound of the satellites at all. The sub is quite good and I use them with JBL Eon G2's on occasion. I agree with ScottY that there are no mid range at all. And to me they sound exactly what they are, 2 - 3 inch speakers with no real cabinet to help give any depth.

I think it just depends on what kind of sound you like and also what kind of music you are doing with it. I believe music along the lines of country which would be mostly guitar which is in the upper end of the spectrum and a solid bass would be where it would sound probably ok, if that's what you like and are going to play.

I also think a lot of people have gotten these and either just relied on someone elses idea that these sounded good, or never tried them in comparison with other speakers other than maybe the onboard speakers on their keyboards, none of which are really outstanding in the sound department, or since sound is so subjective, maybe they really do like this kind of sound, which to me I would liken to a boom box, of which I am not fond of that kind of sound either.

So, try them if you can, not just in a store or in your home, but in some bigger rooms and halls to see if it safisfys your needs if it does, terrific. If not, nothing lost.

I admit I have only tried them at home, and think they possibly may sound better in a bigger room and cranked up. But for me, the sound is inadequate enough for me not to have even wanted to test that scenario out.

Scott Langholff

#104787 - 05/21/06 11:49 AM Re: Using Logitech speakers
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I am reading with interest about the Bose 161's. I see mention that the Tyros 2 owners are mounting them with the special speaker mounts for that keyboard.

I am curious to find out who uses it in conjuntion with their regular PA set up, who uses them alone, and if used alone for smaller settings how big of a crowd do you think it will cover, and lastly, which way do you point the speaker if used alone? At the audience or towards yourself.

JohnC: Do you ever use the sub alone of the z2300 with your JBL 10's? If so how does that work out? Is there enough bass? I'm curious about that, because if the 2300 had a good enough bass, I might check it out because of the smaller size and weight of the sub, although the z5500 sub only weighs 34 pounds which is quite reasonable considering you can literally rattle the roof if you want.

Also, John, do you use the 161's with the z2300 sub only, or with the satellites too?

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 05-21-2006).]

#104788 - 05/21/06 02:32 PM Re: Using Logitech speakers
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Gary the mackie 450's tip the scales at 51 pounds each...you must be talking about two pair...

#104789 - 05/21/06 03:50 PM Re: Using Logitech speakers
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Gary the mackie 450's tip the scales at 51 pounds each...you must be talking about two pair...

Fran......your correct I also was wondering about Garys SRM 450 weight statement?

Physical Properties
Height 660mm (26")
Width 390mm (15.4")
Depth 376mm (14.8")
Weight 23.2kg (51 lbs.)

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-21-2006).]

#104790 - 05/21/06 03:54 PM Re: Using Logitech speakers
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
the mackie 450's tip the scales at 51 pounds each...you must be talking about two pair...

Though I concur that the Mackie 450's sound first rate, after purchasing a pair myself (several years ago), I had to RETURN them, not only for their hefty weight, but for their unbalanced weight distrbution and their extremely slippery surface, making them even more difficult to ergonomically transport & manuever up onto pedestal stands. It took me a week to recover from the back pain.

For a larger venues, I've auditioned and highly recommend the 36 lb each ElectroVoice SxA360's instead. In fact, I plan to eventually (when funds allow) upgrade from my current EV Sx100 speakers to these even more aweseome & powerful sounidng (smooth response throughout with even richer bass) speakers. Believe it or not the SxA360's (at 36 lbs) weigh less than the SxA100's (42 lbs), and ergonomically balanced for transport & manuevering ease as well. - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 05-21-2006).]

#104791 - 05/21/06 04:33 PM Re: Using Logitech speakers
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Yep,

I was talkin' about a pair of them--not a single. Still too heavy for this old fart!

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#104792 - 05/21/06 05:03 PM Re: Using Logitech speakers
MrEd Offline

Robert,
the Z's have been talked about alot but I'm glad you brought this up again.
My weekend intentions were to stop at a few places, find the best price for the 5500's and bring them home.

Scott L. brings up a very good point that hits home here.

I don't sing, I'm always playing and the playing goes the range from soft classical ballads, dance standards, to hard funk/rock-n-roll. In past posts, were the 5500's fans, who used these to play out, 'mostly' singers? Are any of the Z-5500 owners using them for rock-n-roll instrumentals and other sorts of stuff where there is a driving bass line and strong instrument leads? Would you be happy with the output, playing a tune like Honky Tonk live thru the Logitechs?

I think I will hold off on getting a set unless, as Gary said, I'm taking them from the store under the condition that I can bring them back if I'm not toally pleased with the sound.

[This message has been edited by MrEd (edited 05-21-2006).]

#104793 - 05/21/06 05:22 PM Re: Using Logitech speakers
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Scott, I do not feel the sub from the z2300 is a good addition to my JBL 10’s. The JBL 10s have a good amount of bass so anything added has to be stronger than the Z2300 sub – like the Z5500 sub which you already have.

I have the Bose 161 speakers hooked to the Z2300 sub, they sound great. The speakers on my KN7000 are good, when I add the two Bose 161 and the Z2300 sub I feel it could carry a group of 80 people without a problem.

I would love to hear the JBL 10s, and the Z5500 sub, that’s up about five notches.

John C.

#104794 - 05/21/06 05:44 PM Re: Using Logitech speakers
Dnj Offline

I see & hear nothing but nothing BUT GOOD with the Mackie SRM 450's all around

#104795 - 05/21/06 06:42 PM Re: Using Logitech speakers
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I see & hear nothing but nothing BUT GOOD with the Mackie SRM 450's all around

Donny Pesce: Synthzone's Superman!

- Scott