Using Logitech speakers

Posted by: RobertG

Using Logitech speakers - 05/21/06 05:48 AM

I keep seeing references in the forum to the Logitech Z5500. It's a 5.1 system with the specs of:
Satellites: 317 watts RMS (2 x 62 W front, 2 x 62 rear, 69 W center) Subwoofer: 188 watts RMS
People on this forum has sung its praises. For those who use it.

1. Do you use it for playing out? If so, how are you positioning a 5.1 system?
2. If you use a Tyros 2, why this over the TRS-MS02 since you can't get integrated control with the Logitech like you can with Yamaha's system.
3. Why this over a more traditional solution like Mackie 450? I wonder how a system designed for home theatre works as a live PAS.

Has anyone tried the Z-2300? A 200 watt 2.1 system.

I Look forward to responses from Logitech users.

[This message has been edited by RobertG (edited 05-21-2006).]
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/21/06 06:12 AM

Talk to Gary Diamond [travlin easy] hes a Logitec EXPERT

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/21/06 06:16 AM

BTW dont be fooled, the Z5500 couldnt hold a candle to the Mackie SRM 450's

http://www.mackie.com/products/srm450/index.html

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-21-2006).]
Posted by: nardoni2002

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/21/06 06:50 AM

the info you want is here, [URL=http://psrtutorial.com/Resources/musictips.html]
click on projects

[This message has been edited by nardoni2002 (edited 05-21-2006).]
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/21/06 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RobertG:
I keep seeing references in the forum to the Logitech Z5500. It's a 5.1 system with the specs of:
Satellites: 317 watts RMS (2 x 62 W front, 2 x 62 rear, 69 W center) Subwoofer: 188 watts RMS
People on this forum has sung its praises. For those who use it.

1. Do you use it for playing out? If so, how are you positioning a 5.1 system?

Yes, I've been using the Z-5500 for smaller jobs, mainly those with audiences of 50 to 75 people, but it will easily handle audiences to 125 and still have lots of headroom.

2. If you use a Tyros 2, why this over the TRS-MS02 since you can't get integrated control with the Logitech like you can with Yamaha's system.[/]

I've used the Z-5500 system with a friends Tyros1 and it produced far superior sound quality than his TRS-MS02. He immediately went to the nearest Computers USA and purchased the system and has used it for every venue during the past six months. He loves it, and so do his audiences.

[b]3. Why this over a more traditional solution like Mackie 450? I wonder how a system designed for home theatre works as a live PAS.

A pair of Mackie 450s tips the scales at more than 200 pounds, they're bulky and placing them on speaker stands is anything but a piece of cake. And, while the Mackies do an admirable job, especially in larger venues, a pair or 450s, IMO, are overkill for most jobs. Additionally, a pair of 450s is going to slam your checking account pretty hard, while the Z-5500 is selling at $199 at some Internet sites with free shipping. If you want to get an idea on how the system is set up, go to the PSR Tutorial site , click on projects, then click on the Z-5500 section at the bottom of the page.

Has anyone tried the Z-2300? A 200 watt 2.1 system.

The Z-2300 system was a replacement for the Z-2200 system, which came out a few years earlier. While it seems fine for some applications, it lacks some of the mid range quality that the Z-5500 provides. Additionally, it does not have the power of the Z-5500, which is 500-watts RMS (1,100-watts peak).

I Look forward to responses from Logitech users.

[This message has been edited by RobertG (edited 05-21-2006).][/B]

Overall, the Z-5500 is an outstanding system, and those of us that have ventured into the unknown and purchased the 5.1 system and used a system that was primarily designed for home theater and computer use are very pleased with the sound quality--and so are our audiences. If you plan on purchasing the Z-5500 system, I recommend buying it from an outlett that has liberal return policy. Then if you do not like what you hear, you can return it.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy
Posted by: DonM

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/21/06 07:19 AM

Z2300 sounds much better than the Yamaha system to me.
DonM

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/21/06 10:01 AM

Gotta' agree with Don with this too--it sounds a lot better than the Yamaha system.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/21/06 10:41 AM

The TRS MS02 sub with Two BOSE 161's w/ T2 brackets is a great small setup that sounds very good for small venues.....
just ask Scott Yee
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/21/06 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Z2300 sounds much better than the Yamaha system to me.
DonM

I initially purchased & auditioned the Logitech system and ended up returning it. I concur that the Z2300 system is both more powerful (200 watts vs 80) & sounds better than the TRS-MS02 speaker (stock version) system, but still found BOTH systems to seriously suffer from the stereotypical subwoofer + satellite system type PA syndrome: Lack of mid range presence & clarity, of which is particularly critical for delivering vocal clarity & instrumental lead solos.

The reason I prefer the Yamaha TRS-MS02 system over the Logitech systems (for small gigs of less than 50 people) is better transport (lighter) convenience and quicker/neater setup (no extraneous wires to string about, or trying to figure out how/where to mount/position the satellite speakers. In addition, UPGRADING the TRS-MS02 satellite speakers with Bose 161's provides impressive mid-range clarity and smoother mid-range frequency response, which I find absently missing on both the Z2300 and TRS-MS02 stock satellite speakers. For larger venues, I of course rely on my EV's (SxA100's) in conjunction with/instead.

Robert, if you require one "single PA system" solution to cover venues varying from 20-90 people, the Logitech System is perhaps the better solution, but only you can determine if the sound quality trade off (lack of mid range presence & clarity) is acceptable or not. Either way, here's wishing you years of Tyros2 keyboard playing enjoyment.- Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 05-21-2006).]
Posted by: bruno123

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/21/06 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
The TRS MS02 sub with Two BOSE 161's w/ T2 brackets is a great small setup that sounds very good for small venues.....
just ask Scott Yee

Scott Yee scores again. I just added Bose 161 speakers to my Z2300 and they sound great --Big improvement.
Total cost;
Z2300 $72
Bose 161 $144 -- A small good sound system for $216. Best for your dollar.

John C.
Posted by: Scott Langholff

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/21/06 11:42 AM

I agree that with this or any other musical product that being able to test them out to see if you like them is the way to go.

I have a Logitech z5500 and don't like the sound of the satellites at all. The sub is quite good and I use them with JBL Eon G2's on occasion. I agree with ScottY that there are no mid range at all. And to me they sound exactly what they are, 2 - 3 inch speakers with no real cabinet to help give any depth.

I think it just depends on what kind of sound you like and also what kind of music you are doing with it. I believe music along the lines of country which would be mostly guitar which is in the upper end of the spectrum and a solid bass would be where it would sound probably ok, if that's what you like and are going to play.

I also think a lot of people have gotten these and either just relied on someone elses idea that these sounded good, or never tried them in comparison with other speakers other than maybe the onboard speakers on their keyboards, none of which are really outstanding in the sound department, or since sound is so subjective, maybe they really do like this kind of sound, which to me I would liken to a boom box, of which I am not fond of that kind of sound either.

So, try them if you can, not just in a store or in your home, but in some bigger rooms and halls to see if it safisfys your needs if it does, terrific. If not, nothing lost.

I admit I have only tried them at home, and think they possibly may sound better in a bigger room and cranked up. But for me, the sound is inadequate enough for me not to have even wanted to test that scenario out.

Scott Langholff

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/21/06 11:49 AM

I am reading with interest about the Bose 161's. I see mention that the Tyros 2 owners are mounting them with the special speaker mounts for that keyboard.

I am curious to find out who uses it in conjuntion with their regular PA set up, who uses them alone, and if used alone for smaller settings how big of a crowd do you think it will cover, and lastly, which way do you point the speaker if used alone? At the audience or towards yourself.

JohnC: Do you ever use the sub alone of the z2300 with your JBL 10's? If so how does that work out? Is there enough bass? I'm curious about that, because if the 2300 had a good enough bass, I might check it out because of the smaller size and weight of the sub, although the z5500 sub only weighs 34 pounds which is quite reasonable considering you can literally rattle the roof if you want.

Also, John, do you use the 161's with the z2300 sub only, or with the satellites too?

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 05-21-2006).]
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/21/06 02:32 PM

Gary the mackie 450's tip the scales at 51 pounds each...you must be talking about two pair...

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/21/06 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Gary the mackie 450's tip the scales at 51 pounds each...you must be talking about two pair...

Fran......your correct I also was wondering about Garys SRM 450 weight statement?

Physical Properties
Height 660mm (26")
Width 390mm (15.4")
Depth 376mm (14.8")
Weight 23.2kg (51 lbs.)

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/21/06 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
the mackie 450's tip the scales at 51 pounds each...you must be talking about two pair...

Though I concur that the Mackie 450's sound first rate, after purchasing a pair myself (several years ago), I had to RETURN them, not only for their hefty weight, but for their unbalanced weight distrbution and their extremely slippery surface, making them even more difficult to ergonomically transport & manuever up onto pedestal stands. It took me a week to recover from the back pain.

For a larger venues, I've auditioned and highly recommend the 36 lb each ElectroVoice SxA360's instead. In fact, I plan to eventually (when funds allow) upgrade from my current EV Sx100 speakers to these even more aweseome & powerful sounidng (smooth response throughout with even richer bass) speakers. Believe it or not the SxA360's (at 36 lbs) weigh less than the SxA100's (42 lbs), and ergonomically balanced for transport & manuevering ease as well. - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 05-21-2006).]

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/21/06 04:33 PM

Yep,

I was talkin' about a pair of them--not a single. Still too heavy for this old fart!

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy
Posted by: MrEd

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/21/06 05:03 PM

Robert,
the Z's have been talked about alot but I'm glad you brought this up again.
My weekend intentions were to stop at a few places, find the best price for the 5500's and bring them home.

Scott L. brings up a very good point that hits home here.

I don't sing, I'm always playing and the playing goes the range from soft classical ballads, dance standards, to hard funk/rock-n-roll. In past posts, were the 5500's fans, who used these to play out, 'mostly' singers? Are any of the Z-5500 owners using them for rock-n-roll instrumentals and other sorts of stuff where there is a driving bass line and strong instrument leads? Would you be happy with the output, playing a tune like Honky Tonk live thru the Logitechs?

I think I will hold off on getting a set unless, as Gary said, I'm taking them from the store under the condition that I can bring them back if I'm not toally pleased with the sound.

[This message has been edited by MrEd (edited 05-21-2006).]
Posted by: bruno123

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/21/06 05:22 PM

Scott, I do not feel the sub from the z2300 is a good addition to my JBL 10’s. The JBL 10s have a good amount of bass so anything added has to be stronger than the Z2300 sub – like the Z5500 sub which you already have.

I have the Bose 161 speakers hooked to the Z2300 sub, they sound great. The speakers on my KN7000 are good, when I add the two Bose 161 and the Z2300 sub I feel it could carry a group of 80 people without a problem.

I would love to hear the JBL 10s, and the Z5500 sub, that’s up about five notches.

John C.

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/21/06 05:44 PM

I see & hear nothing but nothing BUT GOOD with the Mackie SRM 450's all around

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/21/06 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I see & hear nothing but nothing BUT GOOD with the Mackie SRM 450's all around

Donny Pesce: Synthzone's Superman!

- Scott

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/21/06 07:21 PM

Scott....hahahahahahah Yeah right!!
But can he Play A POLKA ?

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/21/06 08:55 PM

ScottY

LOL

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/21/06 09:20 PM

I want to thank everyone for their input. Lots to think about. Just to add another option. I currently have a Motion Sound KP-100s. It is a true stereo keyboard amp that I use as a personal monitor when working with a larger band and will consider integrating with some of the options presenting.

So how did this thread degrade into Superman pictures? I will discuss in another thread.

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/21/06 09:27 PM

Another very good speaker line.....
http://www.fbt.it/sito/inglese/pae/index.asp

Posted by: kbrkr

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/22/06 03:49 AM

Donny, just curious, but do you mount your Mackie SRM 450's on poles or do you just place them on the floor for added bass? Also, do you position the speakers behind you or in front of you?

Al

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/22/06 05:13 AM

Quote:
I want to thank everyone for their input. Lots to think about. Just to add another option. I currently have a Motion Sound KP-100s. It is a true stereo keyboard amp that I use as a personal monitor when working with a larger band and will consider integrating with some of the options presenting.

After using the Motion Sound KP 100s a few weeks I wasnt thrilled at all with the so called Stereo sound & had to get rid of it good concept...but the sound wasnt up to par for my tastes....TRs MS02 w/bose 161 or The Logitec systems sound much better IMO.

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/22/06 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
Donny, just curious, but do you mount your Mackie SRM 450's on poles or do you just place them on the floor for added bass? Also, do you position the speakers behind you or in front of you?

Al

I mount the 450's on poles if Im setup on the floor to go over the crowd....remember I mostly play for 200-400 pp on average.....

On a Stage I keep the poles in the lowest position without extending them this is the perfect height in this situation.

In close quarters on much smaller jobs with tables right on top of me I'll lay them on the floor angled up like a monitor so the sound bounces off the ceiling.. or Use the TRS Ms02 Sub w/Bose 161's attached to the T2. Great sound for intimate affairs.

My positioning is always about 6-7 ft to each side of me with the speakers about a few inches forward past my EARS ....

They really KICK BUTT!!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-22-2006).]

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/22/06 11:40 AM

I also have a Motion Sound KP-100, which fits neatly between the back seats of my van. It's for backup purposes only, and the only time I would use the Motion Sound is when everything else fails. I found the KP-100 provided less than stellar sound quality, even under the best of circumstances. Additionally, having taken mine apart to tighten the main board, I quickly discovered this is the most overpriced, overrated amp I come across in decades of working with sound systems. The combined amp components, including the speakers, could not have cost more than $100.

Back to the Logitechs, which was the main thrust of this post. Of the hundreds of Synthzone, PSR-Tutorial and SVPWorld members that have purchased the Z-2200, Z-5500, Z-5300 and Z-2300 systems, I only know of three individuals that said they did not like what they heard. If Logitech ever finds out what we are using these inexpensive systems for they will likely jack up the price by a couple hundred percent.

As I said earlier, but the system from a reputable retailer that has a liberal return policy, then let your ears be the judge.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/22/06 02:33 PM

I too have been underwhelmed by the MS-100.
However, in small settings it has met the need. I bought the 100 based on very strong reviews of the 200 when I was looking for a small 100 watt amp.

I and was wondering how the Motion Sound 100 would work as a supplement to a T2 with the TRS-MS02 and the Bose 161's.

Scott Yee, I think you have all of that equipment. Could you comment on when you might use that configuration instead of pulling out the big guns?
Posted by: The Accordionist

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/22/06 03:07 PM

Quick Question:

How are you guys connecting the Logitechs to your keyboards? Via the headphone input? I've heard this is not optimal.

I believe the Logitechs have a 1/8" stereo cable. Are you splitting it with a single female 1/8" to dual 1/4" to connect to your keyboard L/R output jacks?

Thanks.

Tommy

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/22/06 03:17 PM

Quote:
I too have been underwhelmed by the MS-100.

Robert: I replaced the KP100S's 'stock woofers' with better 'eminence brand' ones from "Orange County Speaker", of which deliver significantly improved bass response. See related thread .

Quote:
[B
I and was wondering how the Motion Sound 100 would work as a supplement to a T2 with the TRS-MS02 and the Bose 161's.[/B]

Yep, the Motion Sound KP100S works well when you need more sound coverage than the the TRS-MS02 w/ Bose 161 system alone can provide, and good combo speaker choice for those 'larger than small' but 'smaller than large' MID SIZE rooms, which don't require hauling out the 'big guns'.

Scott
Posted by: loungelyzard

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/22/06 04:03 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Accordionist:

Quick Question:

How are you guys connecting the Logitechs to your keyboards? Via the headphone input? I've heard this is not optimal.

I believe the Logitechs have a 1/8" stereo cable. Are you splitting it with a single female 1/8" to dual 1/4" to connect to your keyboard L/R output jacks?

Thanks.

Tommy
[/QUOTE

Tommy:
I think most of the Z5500 guys uses a splitter and plugs into both jacks. ie

female 1/8" mini stereo to 2 male 1/4" phono
plugged to both L and L/R on the back.

Mine are set up this way, and I think its better than going to a stereo 1/4" into the L/R side......

pose

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/22/06 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Robert: I replaced the KP100S's 'stock woofers' with better 'eminence brand' ones from "Orange County Speaker", of which deliver significantly improved bass response. See related thread.

Scott: Do you know which Eminence speaker you used?

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/27/06 01:32 PM

Yesterday, I became another satisfied Z-5500 owner ... and to those owners that are not satisfied but still have your 5500's, double-check your red/black speaker wire connections. I found out that creates some problem in the sound.

My Keyboard (3000) was on the main floor in my bedroom so I set the 5500's up right there.
I was immediately impressed and at that point I knew that I got my money's worth, but then I started to put the system thru some tough testing, just to determine where the limitations would be.
I became concerned when playing some piano registrations that I had set up. I heard some crackling in the piano tone if I was playing a piano setup with heavy chorus-or-tremolo and reverb. The slight distortions came under high vol and with chords of 3 or more fingers. Less was OK. I thought that I would have to go thru all the different customized piano settings and reset their characteristics.
Then later in the evening (nobody else was home), I was going to move the system to the basement where I had more room to spread out and increase the volume levels even more. As I was removing the speakers wires, I happen to notice on the 1 that I was disconnecting at the time, that the red and the black had been reversed.

During my system setup in the basement, I paid better attention when connecting the speaker wires.
I started playing and was amazed that I could not duplicate the dissatisfaction in the piano sounds. I had the volume up to the point that my ears just could not handle any more volume but everything out of the keyboard came out beautifully.
My wife was just coming into the house at that point and told me that she heard me all the way out at the garage. Thats 60 to 70 feet away, and the doors and windows of this brick house were all closed AND the speakers were NOT pointed at that east wall, but were pointed exactly 90 degrees to the north wall.

I'm using a Y-cable with 3 stereo 1/4" male jacks (otherwise they would be jills ).
The 2 jacks at one end of the cable are plugged directly into the L+R outputs on the back of the keyboard. The 1 jack at other end of the cable gets plugged into a stereo 1/4-to-1/8 reducer, and that 1/8 jack is plugged into the side of the 5500's controller box, right below the headset jack.

I played for about 4 hours straight and the amp does not feel hot at all. For me, these 5500's are very impressive. I just hope they will hold up over time.
PSR3000 + Z5500 + + = MrEd

I have 30 days to return the 5500s if I am not satisfied. The only way they are going back is if they break down.

If you've been thinking about getting Z-5500s, I recommend to give them a try, but be sure your supplier gives you a trial period ... As noted in prior posts on this subject, they are not for everyone, just 90+ % of us.

[This message has been edited by MrEd (edited 05-27-2006).]

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/27/06 02:47 PM

Has anyone tried the Z-2300? A 200 watt 2.1 system ....

Robert, as I just posted above, I just got my 5500s and am very pleased with them.

In regards to your interest in the 2.1 2300s, I have not looked into the 2300s so other than power and price, I don't know what other differences there are, but I wanted to point out that the 5500s can also be used as 2.1, 4.1, and 5.1.

When I switch to "Stereo Effect", only 2 speakers and subwoofer are live, "Stereo x 2 Effect" comes thru all but the center speaker, and then there's "PLII Music Effect" for the 5.1.
On the 5500s, I'm thinking of getting those banana plugs for simplifying setup/teardown on the speaker wire connections.

Forgot to mention that -AFTER- playing in the 5.1 mode, the stereo mode really lacked big time, and 'stereo x 2' mode was ok but noticeably lacking over the 5.1 which adds that center channel's speaker.

Man, I may have spoiled myself with 5-channel sound and may never be able to turn back!

[This message has been edited by MrEd (edited 05-27-2006).]

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/27/06 03:27 PM

MrEd: Sounds like you got some big sounds coming out of the Logitechs. When you go in the 5.1 mode, which you stated you prefered to the stereo mode, how does it distribute the sound between the front and rear speakers, and what comes out of the center channel?

Re: Using Logitech speakers - 05/27/06 04:26 PM

Quote:
MrEd: Sounds like you got some big sounds coming out of the Logitechs. When you go in the 5.1 mode, which you stated you prefered to the stereo mode, how does it distribute the sound between the front and rear speakers, and what comes out of the center channel?

Trying to listen to each speaker individually, you can hear to some extent that that pretty much everything (lead, accompaniment, rhythms, drums) can be heard from each speaker. The bass seems to be a bit stronger out of the center. than the other 4 satellites.

By the way, in regards to what speaker replacements Scott Yee and BeakyBird used in the KP100, I think the link that Scott inserted above may say, but Motion-Sound company recommends the Emminence 8 beta as an upgrade over the factory delivered Emminence 8 Alpha. I thought somewhere a while back, Scott or someone mentioned the 8" Beta but I'm not sure who it was or where it was stated.