Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:
King....

There's a time and place for everything.....mostly "place."

Words are powerful. I'm about as sensitive as any musician. When I go down the list of threads, which is a necessity, and see "Pray for peace in the middle East," I'm already affected. It stands out like an egg in a turnip patch.

I'm not reading Network news. I come here to read about music and musicians...not world affairs.

Sure I have sympathy for the cause. I've been reading about it like everyone else. But I keep the subject in it's place.

No, I don't have to read the thread and most times I don't. The heading alone bothers me.

And what if this gets out of hand, and it becomes the norm for this room?

Now there are many non-musical topics I'd like to bring up myself......MANY! But I stick to music topics, which is what this room is set up for. Why should I take up space with my own issues?

>>>>>>>>> "Because someone feels empathy for a certain group under duress in the world they may or may not identify with they should not ask for prayers from the faithful?"<<<<<<<<

Last I looked this is not a church. And, also, although I sympathize with the innocents who are being affected over there, I resent being told I need to pray over the situation. I will pray because I want to, not because someone wants to send me on a guilt trip.

Lastly....this is no reflection on Mike (OP). He means well and I agree with everything he has said...and I DO feel as strongly as HE does about it. As musicians, we're trained to bring beauty into the world. These kinds of situations are particularly difficult for folks like us to digest.

If you'll look closely, my only beef was not with what Mike said but that it should not have been presented in a room geared towards music talk. Would you go to a meeting of Weight Watcher's and start talking about the situation in Israel/Gaza?

Lucky

Aren't you the OP of "The Safe Zone: where you can drop off your thoughts safely". Where your first line was "I’m hoping Nigel doesn’t mind me trying this idea out." Apparently you have no issue with going off topic.

How do you justify "allowing" safe places to post ones thoughts regarding anything yet deny another the same?

If I went to "weight watchers" and someone asked the group to pray about something they fell strongly about, as a believer who puts his beliefs far above his "weight" I would do the exact same thing and support and defend the person making a simple request. Then move on to food.....

Its OK..no one is TELLING you to pray for anything....Someone is asking...

Sometimes people feel so strongly about something so painful to them they seek the support of those they are most close to. There is nothing ever wrong with that.Ever. There is always a time and a place for that.

Its 7 words! SEVEN WORDS Read them, ignore them, get angry,judgmental,whatever AND PASS. I have not even opened one single Obituary thread. I'm not interested. I won;t go into the thread and post my distaste or offense at the subject!!! Freddy Hubbard is dead. He had a great life. He will be enjoying a greater life now. Sad for those he left behind. OK. No need to open the thread. No need to school the OP on the appropriate nature of the post as it relates to "General Arrangers"

By passing on the thread you allow the faithful to help and comfort. IS that such a bad thing? The non believers and non interested can move on. The OP is comforted to know he is not alone in his feelings and maybe just maybe feels a little better knowing others he shares a special interest with care a little bit too.

NIGEL is the ONLY forum cop. Apparently he feels some empathy for the event and/or poster and is not offended by something that is bigger than any Arranger keyboard and for a single moment in time will allow someone to ask for prayer using 7 words out of millions in the forum.

I applaud him for allowing the small deference to the subject at hand.

Oh and you can call me "Frog" Its more appropriate.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 12-31-2008).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA